(Topic ID: 317561)

1 1/4" fuse too short. Solder or tinfoil?

By splattii

1 year ago

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

#1 1 year ago

Hi,

I am swapping out fuses on an EM and notice they're a few MM shorter than the ones I'm pulling, so some of these don't fit properly now. My local electronics shop said it's because some people were using Chinese fuses back then and they used mm instead of inches. I assume he's telling me the truth, so what's the best way to keep these snug? Use some solder or can I hack it and wrap the ends in tinfoil?

#2 1 year ago

Can you attach a picture? I have never heard of this happening and it doesn’t make much sense.

#3 1 year ago

I'm guessing fuse holder is fatigued/bent if they are not snug. Length variation shouldn't affect snug-ness unless they are really short and not reaching both clips.

No need to solder or add tin foil - address it properly, not like an operator hack.

Post a pic?

#4 1 year ago

Chinese fuses before 1978? Don't think so.

If they fit with metal connection, they don't need to reach the end, Pic would help.

#5 1 year ago

I will send a photo later today when I get back home, thanks for all of the quick responses. Even when I compare the fuses I'm pulling to the 1 1/4" I purchased, the ones I'm pulling are slightly longer and a bit thicker.

#6 1 year ago

Chinese fuses are 6mm x 30mm which works out to .236 x 1.18 inches as opposed to the equivalent American fuses that measure .25 x 1.25 inches

The original fuses you are pulling out are a bit longer and thicker but the smaller ones will usually work unless your fuse holders are weak.

#7 1 year ago

Fuses are your properties friend. Fix it correctly. Also use correct fuse size and value per documentation . Marco carries ( or used too ) a variety pack of " all common pinball fuses". Might as well get ready for next power issue.
    Pinball fires do occur, be safe.

Enjoy the day Shane

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/1-1-4-fuse-too-short-solder-or-tinfoil and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.