Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 100 posts
  • 50 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 5 years ago by PW79
  • Topic is favorited by 4 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

Money.gif
    2fsvbd (resized).jpg
    c5ihAxe (resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider scorch.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#23 5 years ago
    Quoted from westofrome:

Please don't go into debt to buy a pin, even at 0%.

While I agree that you should not go into debt over a pinball, I would rather finance at 0% for 6 months than pay cash. I make 15% ROI on my investments on average over the last 10 years.... if I invest $6000 I can make $4-500 bucks over 6 months.

I always take cheap credit when I can... if you have enough liquid investments, it doesn't make sense to take the money out when you can finance for free.

#59 5 years ago
    Quoted from misterschu:

So you invest for a living then?

Depends what you mean.... I have a full time job as an engineer, but also own 3 rental properties and have a good chunk of change in the stock markets. I do not actively trade stocks... I keep them in a few mutual funds, an s&p 500 index fund, and Berkshire Hathaway (let warren Buffett decide how to invest my money).

At 43 years old, my investments make more money than my employment.... and it’s been like that for the last 5-6 years. This is part of how I grow my money....I’ll use free debt any chance I get and invest.... sure there’s a chance the market goes to crap and I end up paying more.... but over the long run, I’ll win more than I lose.

#84 5 years ago
    Quoted from mcluvin:

For every guy like you with his finances in order, there's at least 1 or 2 who shouldn't be financing a pinball machine but do it anyway. Or do you believe everyone who buys luxury items on credit has all their ducks in a row?

I would counter that if you can't afford to finance a new pin, you can't afford to buy a new pin.

I think EVERYONE with some basic financial sense will agree that it is not smart to finance an expensive luxury item if you can't afford to buy it outright.

If you have only $2000 in savings, and want a $7000 machine, and think financing is the way to get it, then you need to re-evaluate your priorities.... go to an arcade and buy your plays $1 at a time. Even if you have $7000 in savings, and want to finance, it's a risky proposition, because if you invest it, and the market tumbles, you won't be able to make your payments. If you have >$50,000 in savings and want to finance, then use that free debt and go ahead and invest that money (or pay off other debt).

We need to remember that some people don't understand basic personal finances. My mother in law has lived paycheck to paycheck her entire life. She believes that money in the bank is money that needs to be spent, and debt is just a monthly bill. If she won $50,000 on a scratch off, she'd buy a $50,000 car rather than start paying off her $100,000 in debt. People like that should never take on debt.

#94 5 years ago
    Quoted from chooch:

Did she enjoy her life? You only get one and that is all that really matters.

Well... it's not over yet!

She does enjoy her life, and I am in no way condemning the way she lives. my only point is that some people have no financial IQ, and those people should not be taking out debt. My Mother-In-Law does not have any credit cards, and the debt was mostly built up by her husband who died almost 20 years ago (mostly hospital bills). She knows she will never get out of debt during her life time, so just lives day to day.

#99 5 years ago
    Quoted from mcluvin:

Sounds like it was time to declare bankruptcy ~20 years ago. I spent the night in an ER next to a guy who took an ambulance for no other reason than it was cheaper than a taxi for him. Ain't that f'd up?

Probably.... but that's not the type of person she is.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider scorch.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/0-financing-on-pinball-machines?tu=scorch and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.