5 years ago

Topic Stats

• 3 posts
  • 3 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 5 years ago by Cheddar
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

A4B19EC7-2E3A-41DB-A69A-F3D4B5CE8147 (resized).jpeg
    0EA1CE9F-E8D5-4B24-8B84-414F83683B78 (resized).jpeg
    #1 5 years ago

I just bought this Williams Big Deal pinball 1977 and I believe it’s called the score box (see pic 1) on the bottom side of the unit under the play field keeps running when I hit the reset button and three relays on the back top part of the unit on top of the score reel (see pic 2)keep running as well. It never kicks a ball out to play it just keeps running. Not to familiar with all the pinball part lingo. I’ve cleaned all the contacts with electronic cleaner and sanded down the points connections on the wheels and cleaned the relays on the top side of the unit. I have done nothing at the bottom part of the unit. If anyone can help point me in the right direction that would be great thank you.

Chris

0EA1CE9F-E8D5-4B24-8B84-414F83683B78 (resized).jpeg0EA1CE9F-E8D5-4B24-8B84-414F83683B78 (resized).jpegA4B19EC7-2E3A-41DB-A69A-F3D4B5CE8147 (resized).jpegA4B19EC7-2E3A-41DB-A69A-F3D4B5CE8147 (resized).jpeg
    #2 5 years ago

I had a similar issue with my score motor running because a coil in my score reel was dead so it could never return to 0 during the reset process. I used this link to help troubleshoot: https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/williams-big-deal-help-please#post-2151431 You should be able to use that to figure out which switch is causing the motor to keep running. Then you'll have to troubleshoot the circuit associated with that switch because one of those switches will need cleaning/adjusting or maybe you have a bad coil like I did. I don't think you need to use electrical cleaner to clean contacts. Just use sandpaper or flexstone.

#3 5 years ago

OK the thing with the wheels is called the score motor. Several things can start it running but several more things have to be set correctly for it to stop. Since it's not kicking a ball we can assume it's trying to reset.

Are all the score reels set to 0? If not it is likely that that reel needs to be cleaned and adjusted. If this machine has a bonus that unit needs to be reset as well. Finally the player unit needs to be set to the first player and then a ball kicked out.

If you can figure out how set all the reels to 0 and reset the bonus and see if that gets you further. This will also help identify the culprit.

You should read up on ems and their components here to get familiar http://www.pinwiki.com/wiki/index.php?title=EM_Repair

This video is brilliant and will show why it can be hard to get a pinball to reset:

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/-williams-big-deal-1977-wont-start-up- and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.