Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 12 posts
  • 8 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 1 year ago by Budman
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_1215 (resized).JPG
    IMG_1219 (resized).JPG
    IMG_1218 (resized).JPG
    IMG_1315 (resized).JPG
    IMG_1317 (resized).JPG
    #1 1 year ago

By any chance does anyone have knowledge about old Church Bells.
    I tried a couple places that seemed would be a fairly good source, but
    I haven't yet heard anything back.
    I already have a 15" and 18" (the 18" is definitely an old School Bell,
    not farm bell), and in trade for doing some fabrication work (quite a few hours)
    I'm offered a large 28" Church Bell from an 1800s Church that's being renovated
    into a house. The bell is still in the upper Bell Tower. Today I checked it out, and
    it is heavy. His Wife wants that very upper room for something else, so he's the
    one that's responsible to bring the bell, uprights, and yoke down to ground level..
    I'm 100% I'll be keeping it and erecting it someplace on my property, but once
    I clean her up, might anyone have an idea on its value. It's cast, not brass..
    IMG_1317 (resized).JPGIMG_1317 (resized).JPG

#2 1 year ago

Running around the internet. Cast bronze or brass go high. Yours looks like the $1200 to $2300 range.

LTG : )

#3 1 year ago
    Quoted from Mopar:

not farm bell), and in trade for doing some fabrication work (quite a few hours)
    into a house. The bell is still in the upper Bell Tower. Today I checked it out, and
    it is heavy. His Wife wants that very upper room for something else, so he's the
    one that's responsible to bring the bell, uprights, and yolk down to ground level..
    I clean her up, might anyone have an idea on its value. It's cast, not brass..[quoted image]

That’s truly a shame they won’t restore the bell tower and bell to its former glory. It’s not everyday you find a bell and tower still paired together! Sounds like these people will take a beautiful old church and turn it into another ugly HGTV mess.

#4 1 year ago
    Quoted from Isochronic_Frost:

That’s truly a shame they won’t restore the bell tower and bell to its former glory.

Yes. I agree. They're a great couple, but just care about having it a house.
    I complimented on the great shape of the stained glass of Jesus on the front
    of the building, and they said it's coming down. I looked at them with a dropped
    jaw, and told them not to toss it. I'll take it. (I'll find someplace for it)..
    They've been working on the project for 8 years. The amount of I beams and
    the cost of the fabricating crew has to be tens of thousands of dollars..
    They'll be saving a few grand with me working for only the bell, and although I seldom
    travel through it, I'm in both Newark's (my hometown), and that small community's
    fire district, so I'm honored to receive a vintage local Church Bell, and it'll be helping
    them out big time. I'm guessing an 1860s/1870s bell. The era of the old Brick Church
    appears that way. Next time I'm over, I'll take a pic. It's only a few minutes away..

#5 1 year ago

I wouldn't clean it. There are buyers that want to see the age on it.

#6 1 year ago

Do they tell how old it is based on the amount of pigeon shit?

#7 1 year ago
    Quoted from mcluvin:

I wouldn't clean it. There are buyers that want to see the age on it.

Halfway going up was circular like stairs, and the 2nd half was ladders. When I finally got to the top
    and last ladder, I took this pic, then thought I need to take a better one, so I chimmied up through the
    small opening, and that's when I started dodging birds. The bell needs a good pressure washing..
    The bell is much larger than the opening. At first he said if you can get it down, you can have it, but it's
    going to take heavy equipment that extends 60 ft. to get it down (from the outside) safely, and for me
    it wasn't worth it, and he said it's coming down anyways, so I agreed if he gets it down, I'll weld up the
    railings and uprights for him. They'll be quite a bit of angle cutting, so it's going to take some time, but
    if he has his mind set that it's coming down, I'd love to be the one to own it. I have a few local vintage
    items that I'll never have for sale, and this one won't be any different..

IMG_1315 (resized).JPGIMG_1315 (resized).JPG

#8 1 year ago
    Quoted from snyper2099:

Do they tell how old it is based on the amount of pigeon shit?

There you go. I'm not sure all what birds had the diarea,
    but today it wasn't pigeons up there. I'm not sure what
    type of birds they were..

#9 1 year ago

My experience with Deagan Tower Chimes says you have a combination of swallows, wasps, and grackles. I’ll rule out swallows since I didn’t see any nests in the background.

Yeah, getting up to the chimes or bells is not for the weak of heart, afraid of heights, or the claustrophobic.

#10 1 year ago
    Quoted from Mopar:

one that's responsible to bring the bell, uprights, and yoke down to ground level..
    I clean her up, might anyone have an idea on its value. It's cast, not brass..
    [quoted image]

I've been collecting bells for years, when priced right. My biggest is 42", from 1865. Bought in Montana 3 yrs ago for 1200. Cast iron

#11 1 year ago
    Quoted from Hayfarmer:I've been collecting bells for years, when priced right. My biggest is 42", from 1865. Bought in Montana 3 yrs ago for 1200. Cast iron

I don't really collect, but I have a F2 and F3 bell.
    Last December a tree came down and didn't harm the bell itself, but broke
    the F3's Upright and Yoke. It's an old bell, and my machinist Neighbor has all
    the equipment in his barn, so he's fabricating those pieces, and I'll have her
    back up. The 28" will be by far the largest I'll own. Your 42" has to be a
    total of 500 lbs. plus. If you'd like, send some pics of some of your collection.
    I wouldn't mind seeing the 42 incher..

IMG_1215 (resized).JPGIMG_1215 (resized).JPGIMG_1218 (resized).JPGIMG_1218 (resized).JPGIMG_1219 (resized).JPGIMG_1219 (resized).JPG
    #12 1 year ago

There is a very effective dry ice/ blasting / cleaning process I am going to have a local company use to clean the inside of my barn, that you might want to consider.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.