(Topic ID: 220458)

video of installing flipper links to a plunger?

By silver_spinner

5 years ago

Topic Stats

• 8 posts
  • 4 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 5 years ago by MrBally
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

71405c86-9aaf-47b6-b242-7403ce2c8a17_1.a968bb5ec9dfd0eb1992de1f2d55c2d3 (resized).jpeg
    #1 5 years ago

i have many new links and new plungers and some pins to. Any good videos of removing old pins and installing new ones safely? what tools are best?
    i have data east, williams, bally, etc. bought a bunch of parts as a package years back and these were with them so time to put some together!.

#2 5 years ago

I use a hunk of hardwood with a groove cut in it. Drill a hole on one end of the grove. Position plunger in grove with roll pin over the hole. Grab a hammer and roll pin punch - do the obvious - whack hell out of it. I like to drive the pin out enough so the link comes out, then install new link and pound the roll pin back in.

LTG : )

#3 5 years ago

I modified an old bicycle chain removal tool. Ground down the ridges in the center to accept the plunger and use a hex wrench to turn the screw. Putting the new pin in the plunger, I have to tap the pin in a bit with a hammer and then use the tool to drive it the rest of the way.
    71405c86-9aaf-47b6-b242-7403ce2c8a17_1.a968bb5ec9dfd0eb1992de1f2d55c2d3 (resized).jpeg71405c86-9aaf-47b6-b242-7403ce2c8a17_1.a968bb5ec9dfd0eb1992de1f2d55c2d3 (resized).jpeg

#4 5 years ago

on the end of the hex bolt what is that skinny part? was that on the bike tool already?

#6 5 years ago
    Quoted from silver_spinner:

on the end of the hex bolt what is that skinny part? was that on the bike tool already?

Yes. It's basically used to drive out a pin that holds the chain together. The diameter might be a bit too big and may need modified. It works much better than a hammer and punch.

#7 5 years ago
    Quoted from silver_spinner:

will this work?
    amazon.com link »

Yes. Those ridges in the center need to be removed as they're there to hold a chain.

#8 5 years ago

In the shop I use a vise. Open jaws 1/4" and use a punch to drive the roll pin out enough to remove the link. Squeeze the roll pin back using the vise. When I worked on a route, my channel locks worked great as the slightly open vise jaws. Set on the cabinet corner joint with the lock bar removed. Use a punch and hammer as usual. To reinstall, the Channel Locks worked great to push the roll pin back in.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/-video-of-installing-flipper-links-to-a-plunger and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.