(Topic ID: 245322)

The Ultimate Pinball Topper. OMG, you need to see this!

By Litedpinballmods

4 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 653 posts
  • 149 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 1 year ago by PinMonk
  • Topic is favorited by 79 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

mcp (resized).JPG
EB9D2159-F0AB-4151-B396-1275D8FA022A (resized).jpeg
20210108_172319 (resized).jpg
Screen Sh(1) (resized).jpg
F92448B0-9F12-4F68-B118-3526346CDB94 (resized).jpeg
20190930_215748 (resized).jpg
1 fan (resized).jpg
1 fan 2 (resized).jpg
1 fan 1 (resized).jpg
20190918_190217 (resized).jpg
0911170703e_resized (resized).jpg
0911171644_resized (resized).jpg
20190902_155827 (resized).jpg
224 wifi (resized).jpg
dorian (resized).jpg
3333 (resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider pinmonk.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#67 4 years ago
Quoted from Shapeshifter:

Can they sit lower so you don't see cord at all?

No, because it needs clearance for the fan blades (see picture below of one type of these displays when it's not spinning). You can kind of see the outline of the circle it makes in the videos, so no, it can't really go much lower. You COULD use one with a 90 degree mount that makes the fan vertical and attach to the side of the mount instead of the top so it went on the top of the head and just slide it forward so it overlapped the front of the head, but then you'd have the black tower the fan connects to sticking up.

The best solution is probably just to paint the base and power cord the same color as the wall it's mounted to.
hologram-fan (resized).jpghologram-fan (resized).jpg

#75 4 years ago
Quoted from Orko:

If you already have a topper, can you add this as an extra? For that extra Shazam?

If you can get the blade in front of the topper without touching it.

#78 4 years ago
Quoted from frolic:

This stuff is very exciting and I did consider it for my own game room but the problem is people wanting to touch the fan blades. Ideally the fans are placed out of reach. A Pinball topper seems like a good idea because it is out of reach. But I don’t know where else I could place it in my game room.

The newer ones that have plastic enclosures make touching the blade impossible. That's definitely where these are going.

10 months later
#578 3 years ago
Quoted from paynemic:

I know. No was wondering if I can avoid that and wire directly into 12v or something more elegant.

Get something like a $18 meanwell RD35A mini switching power supply and mount it in the cabinet back. It outputs a stable 12v and 5v for pretty much any mod you desire without messing with the power spike uses. Just tap into the 120v where the power comes into the service box, run that to the power supply, and then take all 5v and 12v mod power off that.

https://www.digikey.com/product-detail/en/mean-well-usa-inc/RD-35A/1866-3983-ND/7705982

#581 3 years ago
Quoted from paynemic:

I was wondering about something like that. Does that separate power supply turn on and off with the game then? That would be ideal.

Depends on the power supply, but the one I linked turns on when power is applied, so you're good to go.

The trick is getting one that has at least two outputs (most are single output, pick one voltage), one for 5v and the other for 12v, so you have power for pretty much any kind of mod you could want as long as you don't draw more than 4A total.

1 year later
#633 2 years ago
Quoted from Deafman013:

Anyone done one for The Mandalorian yet???

You can easily capture video of the helmet rotating and use that. Have the capture window right around the helmet, and make sure your mouse pointer is below the capture window, then do one rotation with a steady right to left movement and loop that.

https://sketchfab.com/3d-models/the-mandalorian-helmet-1d606adf659849c794a85bca69045c4b

1 month later
#635 2 years ago
Quoted from digitaldocc:

I'm thinking of getting one of these for my Tron and making my own tribute to the OG Tron MCP. Can somebody link me to the PC software that converts the video for the halo fan? Or can you just drop video with a black background right on the memory card. Maya and after effects are in my bag of tricks. Before I buy anything I want to see the software.
[quoted image]

This page has links to the software for all different styles of hologram fans:
http://www.mycaraok.com/apps3d_en.php

This is a popular conversion app:
https://www.xmedia-recode.de/en/download.php

This guy has a general overview of conversion when working with any of the hologram fans on the market:

#637 2 years ago
Quoted from digitaldocc:

Thanks for the resources kind sir. I'm looking around for deals on the fans and maybe a stand.

Depending on the size and style you want, if you're DIY'ing it, you can get a hologram fan for as little as $50 from aliexpress. When you get it, if the fan you choose takes 12v input from an AC adapter, ditch the AC adapter that uses the service plug and make a fused (DO NOT DO IT WITHOUT AN INLINE FUSE) harness that plugs into the 12v on the Spike power distribution board for a cleaner, safer install. I covered how to do that here:

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/hologram-fan-or-lightedpinballmods-power-fix#post-6241182

Whichever route you go, good luck!

2 weeks later
#640 2 years ago
Quoted from falcon950:

Can anyone tell me if these are loud enough to be a nuisance?
Very interested but don't want a loud fan in my face.

They are loud. Imagine a stand fan on "HIGH" - about like that. You can do cool things with them, but you have to know going in that noise is part of the deal.

It's really disingenuous that these are advertised with the sound taken off the video so people can't hear the noise level.

Someone on youtube posted an example of a random hologram fan they bought and installed, for your reference. It seems more rumbly than the lightedpinballmods one I helped a pinsider install, but a pretty good approximation of real-world noise level:

4 months later
#650 1 year ago
Quoted from enkiktd:

Are there any good files for LOTR for this? Reading through this old thread a bit it seems like the OP is no longer supporting?

Here's someone who has made a floating rings video for holographic fans. The file is high res, up to 2160p. You'd need to convert it using the utility that comes with the fans, but that shouldn't be too hard. I'm sure there are others out there like this.

2 months later
#653 1 year ago
Quoted from Rob-T-800:

How can I access the files for the fans?

Basically just find video you like and run it through the software converter to make a file the fan can display.

It looks like the OP is selling the pre-converted video clips themed to Deadpool, Ghostbusters, etc to run on the fans so if you just want plug and play, it will cost you.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Roseville, CA
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 99.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 29.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
pinballmod

$ 399.00
Cabinet - Decals
Mircoplayfields

11,600 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Lubbock, TX
£ 55.00
Cabinet - Decals
Sillyoldelf Mods

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 16.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

Machine - For Sale
Loris, SC
$ 24.95
Playfield - Protection
ULEKstore

$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

8,500 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Milwaukee, WI
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Rocket City Pinball

Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 20.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Game Room Info Shop

$ 30.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider pinmonk.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/-the-ultimate-pinball-topper-omg-you-need-to-see-this?tu=pinmonk and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.