(Topic ID: 245322)

The Ultimate Pinball Topper. OMG, you need to see this!

By Litedpinballmods

4 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 653 posts
  • 149 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 1 year ago by PinMonk
  • Topic is favorited by 79 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

mcp (resized).JPG
EB9D2159-F0AB-4151-B396-1275D8FA022A (resized).jpeg
20210108_172319 (resized).jpg
Screen Sh(1) (resized).jpg
F92448B0-9F12-4F68-B118-3526346CDB94 (resized).jpeg
20190930_215748 (resized).jpg
1 fan (resized).jpg
1 fan 2 (resized).jpg
1 fan 1 (resized).jpg
20190918_190217 (resized).jpg
0911170703e_resized (resized).jpg
0911171644_resized (resized).jpg
20190902_155827 (resized).jpg
224 wifi (resized).jpg
dorian (resized).jpg
3333 (resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider darscot.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#121 4 years ago

I think the artwork has value but the tech has been out for a while and is pretty simple. Most of the ones available are pretty low end novelty items out of China. I can see these breaking down pretty quickly for people that have there pins on daily. I think you would need to redesign the friction points and electrical contacts to get any kind of longevity out of these. Everyone in pinball has a pretty good grasp on how things with moving parts break down. As a cool thing to turn on when your friends are over or during a tournament these would be fun, but I dunno about long term use as topper.

#133 4 years ago
Quoted from Litedpinballmods:

I understand, that is what many people said about or plasma pop bumpers, and the originals we put on our games 3 years ago still work fine. As a matter of fact we have hauled them over 30,000 miles to different shows. Also, CGC was so happy with the plasma performance that they put thin in their LE monster bash.
I cannot say if your information is correct on way or another, but most of these are made for commercial use, because they do have very limited consumer use. A topper I think is a perfect use.
Do you have documentation?

I'm not referring to plasma pop bumpers or anything to do with them no idea how that comparison is relevant. I was talking about these spinning LED displays that are widely available. I"m not selling anything, and would expect the person selling the product to provide documentation into the tested lifespan of the product. Maybe they are selling an improved more industrial strength version. The ones I have seen and have been out for a sometime are not in any way industrial they are a novelty items you see in pop up stand in malls and on ebay.

#161 4 years ago
Quoted from Mr_Tantrum:

It shouldn't be. With the pin on you are probably not even going to be able to hear it (no way I would with my PinSound cranked to the level I like it). These are not jet engines or turbo props.
https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/-the-ultimate-pinball-topper-omg-you-need-to-see-this/page/3#post-5050343

It sounds pretty loud in that video, it would be nice if he turned it on and off so you could hear the difference. I know a lot of guys fire up there pins whenever their in the room, that is where these could drive you nuts. I know I'm pretty OCD when it comes to like a PC fan, the bonus with those is they are pretty cheap as soon as they start making noise I just throw in a new one. Its a cool product and I really like the art but I just don't know about it as a topper. I like it more like a game room conversation piece like the DMD Clock.

6 months later
#538 4 years ago
Quoted from alveolus:

Agreed. The radio silence is disconcerting. I was willing to pay the surcharge for their development and support, but if that is gone I might just go the direct from China route.

If you the slightest bit handy or technical straight from China is the way to go, its an off the shelf product and a relay. It is the holidays though I'm sure he will update more in the new year.

4 months later
#592 3 years ago
Quoted from GEZ-:

Damn, just “discovered” this and think it would be perfect for my Tron but now worried support is gone. Anyone on here selling their’s, or make their own? I am in Canada..

It just an off the shelf unit available all over the place. You can get one on amazon.ca for as low as $100 cdn. They call them 3D Hologram Advertising, they are just meant for store fronts. The only value he was offering was all the content, it's not hard to make the videos. It looks like support is dead so you better off just to pick one up with a remote and your going to save a lot of money as well.

#596 3 years ago
Quoted from paynemic:

Actually the light sensing relay is a nice feature he included as well. Anyone have a cheap plug n play version of that?

That is why I mentioned you can get them with a remote. The whole light sensing thing is just a waste of money, it is so easy to tap power from the pin. It's a lot neater as well, no need for the extra power supply and sensor.

#598 3 years ago
Quoted from paynemic:

On my lotr I seem to be right at the limit of the power supply. Are you talking about putting an external one in? And does it switch with the pin power?

I don't know why you would be at the limit of a power supply but if you are its not difficult to run a relay off any circuit you want. I guess the light sensor saves you a splice, if that's worth that much coin all the power to you.

#600 3 years ago
Quoted from RTS:

Can you explain how to run a relay off of any circuit?

A relay is an electronic switch, just like a light switch but instead of turning it on and off with your hand it is controlled via a different circuit. So you just splice into whatever circuit you like, say the GI and presto your device turns on and off when the GI turns on and off. The light sensing relay is the exact same thing but instead of splicing into the GI it senses light. Really though it’s kinda pointless there are plenty of places on a pin that you can tap the power that already turn on and off when you want. To me, the easiest thing if you want this is just buy one with a remote. Then you can turn it on when you want and not listen to it drone away in the background when you don’t.

#607 3 years ago
Quoted from parsonsaj:

I have to say the external packaging makes it appear that this is the exact same one the the LPM guys distribute. Wonder if it has the same software?

I'm sure if its not identical it's very close. Most of these types of things just all use standard codec and file formats. I don't know this guy or his reputation but this felt like a cash grab. Just selling an existing product that people hadn't seen yet for a tidy profit.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 54.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

$ 14.95
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

Various Novelties
Pinball Photos LLC

$ 160.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Sparky Pinball

5,900 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Salem, VA
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
arcade-cabinets.com

7,000 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Hot Springs, AR
$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

$ 135.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Sparky Pinball

$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

Lighting - Interactive
Pinball Z

Playfield - Decals
Pinball Invasion

$ 24.00
Playfield - Decals
Nordic Pinball Supply

$ 149.00
$ 30.00
Playfield - Protection
SilverBall Designs

Machine - For Sale
Nashville, TN
$ 50.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
arcade-cabinets.com

$ 115.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
pinballmod

$ 17.50
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Pinball Haus

$ 20.00
Playfield - Protection
Pinhead mods

$ 49.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

$ 12.95
$ 30.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Trade
Machine - For Trade
Youngstown, OH
Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider darscot.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/-the-ultimate-pinball-topper-omg-you-need-to-see-this?tu=darscot and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.