(Topic ID: 245322)

The Ultimate Pinball Topper. OMG, you need to see this!

By Litedpinballmods

4 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 653 posts
  • 149 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 1 year ago by PinMonk
  • Topic is favorited by 79 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

mcp (resized).JPG
EB9D2159-F0AB-4151-B396-1275D8FA022A (resized).jpeg
20210108_172319 (resized).jpg
Screen Sh(1) (resized).jpg
F92448B0-9F12-4F68-B118-3526346CDB94 (resized).jpeg
20190930_215748 (resized).jpg
1 fan (resized).jpg
1 fan 2 (resized).jpg
1 fan 1 (resized).jpg
20190918_190217 (resized).jpg
0911170703e_resized (resized).jpg
0911171644_resized (resized).jpg
20190902_155827 (resized).jpg
224 wifi (resized).jpg
dorian (resized).jpg
3333 (resized).jpg

There are 653 posts in this topic. You are on page 5 of 14.
#201 4 years ago

I am very much looking forward to seeing what you will have in videos to compliment JJP’s POTC beyond the POTC version you showed so far. Are you thinking there will be more than one video available per pin?

Is the main problem with creating these, for those of us that might tinker, getting the pure black in the background?

It is very cool what you are doing.

#202 4 years ago
Quoted from statsdoc:

I am very much looking forward to seeing what you will have in videos to compliment JJP’s POTC beyond the POTC version you showed so far. Are you thinking there will be more than one video available per pin?
Is the main problem with creating these, for those of us that might tinker, getting the pure black in the background?
It is very cool what you are doing.

Thank you.

We are planing on having a few for each title. Their are a lot of titles, and we are trying to have a good selection of many titles to start, but may not be as deep of a selection. On Pirates, the video we posted is longer, we have a pirate ship, the game title, a jolly roger and Captain Jack steering a ship.

On the main titles we want videos that are very game specific, such as the video you saw, the title and Captain Jack. Then we are trying to get a set of generic videos, such as the pirate ship and Jolly Roger. The reason in because the pirate ship and jolly roger could be used on other game such as Black Rose or other pirate games.

Black in the background is very important, this does not make a good television, and you need the transparent (black, light off) to give the best effect. I have not had a problem putting black in the back. I would say a bigger challenge is your videos needs to be in a 1 to 1 ratio, then your corners get cut off because that gets transformed to a circle. It is not so much as a challenge, as it take a little bit to get used to it.

I am hoping people like like to tinker will make some and to our library to help everyone in the community. With a little tinkering, you can make a good video without much problem.

#203 4 years ago

We are getting positive feedback on using this as game room wall art, because of this we are going to make some arcade game videos, but that will not be our main focus. Pinball will be or main focus.

We will also have a small guy room selection.

I expect this project will be my main project for many months to come.

Dan

#204 4 years ago
Quoted from Calfdemon:

It was a guesstimate... Where is the math? He said he will be selling the game room version for $199 if I remember correctly. Do you have a price for the actual model that he is selling from another source? Again.. the point was that it is worth it to pay more for the video data, so I would rather buy it from them with an upcharge which entitles me to use their video. I really have no idea what the additional cost is so I threw $20 in there as a placeholder. If you want to actually break it down, go for it. But I think you are missing the point here...
And looking back a few, here is what OP posted:

So low end on that +20 is $199. Guess I wasn't too far off without knowing exactly what model these are being made with. You must have way more info than the rest of us here. Is the plan to buy the hardware elsewhere for cheaper and then copy (steal) the videos from someone else without compensating the creator? Just curious, but that is what seems to be implied here by some. I guess you could buy cheaper hardware and then make your own videos, which would be just copying the idea the OP had, but in effect, stealing nothing. To each their own I guess. I am willing to pay the OP for their idea and videos.

These units sell for around 100 and software that converts to the images needed is also included. Anyone can make these videos and have already done so. So no need to steal anything. These are like a DIY type of thing, Buy the unit and we all share the videos that we create. Wall mount is the best way and plastic covers are already out there too.

#205 4 years ago
Quoted from Brtlkat:

These units sell for around 100 and software that converts to the images needed is also included. Anyone can make these videos and have already done so. So no need to steal anything. These are like a DIY type of thing, Buy the unit and we all share the videos that we create. Wall mount is the best way and plastic covers are already out there too.

Knock yourself out developing and sharing files. Life is too short. Litedpinballmods is taking the initiative and will make all the videos and set up a website for those who purchase their product. All they want is a little extra coin for their work.

#206 4 years ago
Quoted from ToucanF16:

Knock yourself out developing and sharing files. Life is too short. litedpinballmods is taking the initiative and will make all the videos and set up a website for those who purchase their product. All they want is a little extra coin for their work.

I find with all these mods 95% of the market just want an off the shelf product they can buy and just use! they don't mind paying to have already setup etc...

Then you got the other 5% that want to do things a bit cheaper and do it all them self. Nothing wrong with that if you have the time/skills etc...

#207 4 years ago

The content, that takes advantage of the device, is not as easy as people think....sure it will display a clip, but the full affect takes time and skill. It has escaped my efforts,
and several others. I appluad Dan in the hopes he has mastered original 3d clips.
It was for that reason i lost interest 2 to 3 years ago.

#208 4 years ago
Quoted from OLDPINGUY:

The content, that takes advantage of the device, is not as easy as people think....sure it will display a clip, but the full affect takes time and skill. It has escaped my efforts,
and several others. I appluad Dan in the hopes he has mastered original 3d clips.
It was for that reason i lost interest 2 to 3 years ago.

Art, thanks for your words of wisdom like normal. Yes, you are very correct. You even need specialized software to do the best work. That is part of the reason that movies don't look that good on these. We use outside programmers to do a lot of our best quality 3D work. Black Knight is going to cost about $500 just for the programming.

I would say their are levels of 3D quality on the videos.

Best - if you look at Gun's N Roses, Slimmer, the titles, Lord of the rings, motorcycle some ironmen and some others are incredible.

Good - Things like the batman intro fall into this category. Because they have a good back ground and have movements towards you.

OK - We have a color version of the Munsters intro and an AC/DC concert, that will will fall into this category. It looks OK to look at, but it is not much more then a monitor. This is by far, by far the smallest category of videos we have.

Everything looks more 3D on these fans then a monitor because of the movement, contrast and you can see through the image. Part of the reason a movie clip does not do much more then a monitor, is because you cannot see through the movie to get the depth.

An update on videos, we currently have 300 done. Of those 300, about 50 are titles, and for the game room wall art, we did 35 classic video games from the early 80's. I hope to have about 500 videos at launch on 8-1-2019. I will be focusing on video product for the next 3 weeks, after that I expect it to take 2 weeks to get them all posted in a format that will be easy to use.

The guy that did the motorcycle for us is also doing the Black Knight, we hope to have Black Knight ready at Pinfest, it is going to be close. We are doing 3 versions of the Black Knight, first is him waist high with a flail and shield, second is him waist high with a sword and shield, the third will be a bust. All spinning.

I am sure everyone has thought about this but to sum it up here are your choices on toppers going forward. Purchase a plexiglass topper with some graphics that can change LED colors for about $250 or purchases a Stern topper for $500. Or you can purchase or LPM ultimate topper that will give you a few choices per game of topper graphics, that appears 3D and gives millions of colors, that if you sell your game, you can transfer this topper to another game and not lose any value for $250.

I feel the choice is clear, and when you have this topper.wall art on, this is going to be the first thing any one that looks at your game will notice.

I won't post any more clips before Pinfest, but before Atlanta I hope to post some videos with these on different backgrounds

Also in regards to Brtlkat comment, if you are going to purchase your own LED hologram fan, you better check the consumer reports review of these, because not all LED Hologram fans are the same, that is why we purchased a selection of the, and put them through the testing. You could end spending that money, and it may not work for what you want it to. And per his comment about having an outside area for trading of videos, I guess you could get that now going to the LED hologram fans forums.

#209 4 years ago

I would like to add that indeed there is a wide range of quality in manufacture.....just think of it like tvs.
I too, tested an assortment.
There were significant differences in brightness, noise, and quality.

#210 4 years ago
Quoted from Litedpinballmods:

I feel the choice is clear, and when you have this topper.wall art on, this is going to be the first thing any one that looks at your game will notice.

Well I don't know about that.

15994651_10209057974791414_6474345147156863184_o (resized).jpg15994651_10209057974791414_6474345147156863184_o (resized).jpg16107231_10209058216397454_3808447985777374422_o (resized).jpg16107231_10209058216397454_3808447985777374422_o (resized).jpg16113248_10209057972351353_7316986450884698574_o (resized).jpg16113248_10209057972351353_7316986450884698574_o (resized).jpg
#211 4 years ago
Quoted from MustangPaul:

Well I don't know about that. [quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

Based on your pics, point well taken!

#212 4 years ago
Quoted from MustangPaul:

Well I don't know about that. [quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

What a great looking area. You don't know what to look at first.

#213 4 years ago

It is a great looking room...except for the distracting leg lite-ups on the pins.

(Only posted to tease him because I know those are Paul's creations.)

#214 4 years ago

People who have never seen it before stand at the bottom of the steps and just stand there looking around.

#215 4 years ago
Quoted from littlecammi:

It is a great looking room...except for the distracting leg lite-ups on the pins.
(Only posted to tease him because I know those are Paul's creations.)

and each game now has a Volcano Pingulp light up on it too.

#216 4 years ago

Everyone that has commented on the topper at Pintasic has been amazed and positive. I hope some people that have seen it first had will post.

In talking to many people, the suggestion of having the video files public, allowing people to download and share the videos they have made is coming up a lot. Does anyone know a website that would be good for that? Maybe something like the Pinsound community.

#217 4 years ago

Everyone that has commented on the topper at Pintasic has been amazed and positive. I hope some people that have seen it first had will post.
In talking to many people, the suggestion of having the video files public, allowing people to download and share the videos they have made is coming up a lot. Does anyone know a website that would be good for that? Maybe something like the Pinsound community.

Are you going to post some new videos from the show?

#218 4 years ago

Does anyone know a website that would be good for that? Maybe something like the Pinsound community.

Pinsound is on the Invision Community platform. https://invisioncommunity.com/features/content/

You could start your own site for the content......unless you’re looking for something existing to dump your files on....

#219 4 years ago

Checked out these toppers at Pintastic this weekend. They were on a loop of the different animations. They really looked top notch, even in the super bright exhibition hall. They also said they were doing a wall mount kit which would be awesome in a game room. Nice jobs again guys.

#220 4 years ago

On the first post you said they ship 8/1. How can we order? They aren’t on your website.

#221 4 years ago

So first just gotta say I love these! If the content for Metallica had a lot more to it like say, concert footage... maybee video clips, or showcased original band artworks then I’ll throw my money at this thing for a topper! As it is, I’m more likely interested in the wall mount for game room decor so I can run through the entire loop..

#222 4 years ago

Gotta say I'm a big 'Fan' of your product! Nice meeting Dan and Chuck this weekend pintastic and can't wait for the pre-order to get to NH.

Just gotta find a spot that the cats cant get to!

#223 4 years ago
Quoted from Jaymach1:

Checked out these toppers at Pintastic this weekend. They were on a loop of the different animations. They really looked top notch, even in the super bright exhibition hall. They also said they were doing a wall mount kit which would be awesome in a game room. Nice jobs again guys.

When these come from the factory, Wall mount kits are already included when these are purchased.

#224 4 years ago
Quoted from alveolus:

I posted a quick Pintastic Walk Thru video online. 17:30 of the video shows the great topper. The video shows the fan blades in the images because of the video settings of the camera. In person the fan rotation is not seen on the actual images. Topper looks great.

Blog Post :
https://pinballsupernova.wordpress.com/2019/06/30/pintastic-2019-sturbridge-ma-june-27th-30th-highlights-video-walkthru-3d-hologram-topper/

YouTube Video :

#225 4 years ago
Quoted from imagamejunky:

On the first post you said they ship 8/1. How can we order? They aren’t on your website.

Thank you for your post. I will put you on my order list, and email you when ready.

All of the main work has been done, I wanted to have 300 videos when we launch, and we have that and expect to have much more then that at launch. We have everything needed for production except one item, and it has been shipped.

We had some really good feedback, and we have 3 accessory items we want to make prototypes of before we start selling online, because they were brought up a few times at the show:

1. A shield for the topper. I think everyone that saw it was amazed how quite it was. The top of a machine is over 6 feet, so it is pretty safe up their, but some people were interested. We have made a prototype of this shield, but we may update that prototype slightly.

2. We will be selling a wall art unit, which we have everything for, but we also want to make a plexiglass shield for this. I think we have everything here for it and will be working on the prototype for that this week.

3. A lot of basements in the world. We live on the river, 5 miles from the ocean at about 3 feet about see level so no basements in our area, I we did not even think about it. We are going to work on a stand to use the topper in a 7' foot ceiling. We are not sure how that is going to work, but we are doing a prototype for that this week.

The next thing we got a lot of feedback from at the show was a level of open community that people can add video's and other features for the hologram projector. I have a good programmer that has been able to give me real good guidance, him and I are trying to have the best environment to start with. Many people want to make videos for themselves, and we want a community that people can share. We are not going to be selling any videos, but we are making a huge library to support the product. This product is only as good as videos.

This paragraph is important, but I won't answer many questions on this, because it is above my ability. I talked in depth on this product with many people at the show. One feature this product has that I do not talk about is it does have wifi capabilities. I do not feel the program that controls the wifi is very stable. The wifi is not needed for the product to function properly, it is just an additional feature. I talked with 2 people that are smarter then me that said if the fan has wifi capabilities they could make it interactive. Both of these people said they would enjoy tinkering on this aspect but felt it was important to have a community that not only houses the videos, but also has some kind of forum capabilities to work on these features as a community. PLEASE DO NOT ASK ME THIS ASPECT OF A WIFI PROJECT, IT IS SOMETHING I PERSONALLY AM NOT ABLE TO DO.

Because we feel setting up the proper community is huge, we may not be shipping till 8-15-2019, but it could be 8-1-2019. The proper website to support the videos will be very, very important, and that one item is mainly going to dictate the launch date. I will also post on this thread when we list. If you PM me I will put you on our preorder list.

Dan

#226 4 years ago
Quoted from alveolus:

I took a few videos, I will try to post them in the next week. We may get our main shipment before the Atlanta show (11 days from now). If we do we plan on setting up about 8 fans to demonstrate a larger selection of videos. We had 100 different video's on display at Pintastic.

If we get 8 fans up in Atlanta, we will have a lot of videos then.

Dan

#227 4 years ago
Quoted from tilted81:

So first just gotta say I love these! If the content for Metallica had a lot more to it like say, concert footage... maybee video clips, or showcased original band artworks then I’ll throw my money at this thing for a topper! As it is, I’m more likely interested in the wall mount for game room decor so I can run through the entire loop..

Thank you so much for this comment, I got GREAT NEWS for you.

We did a short video of a concert of AC/DC for the fan, but we could only show 100 videos at Pintastic, and we decided not to show that one.

This is part of the reason this is the Ultimate Topper, you can make your own very quick. The product comes with the software to convert any standard video to the LED Hologram format.

Go to Youtube and find a Metallic concert you like, their is a huge selection, because I looked. Get an app/plugin/program to capture the video from Youtube. We use ClipGrab because the program is fee and is very easy to use. Use ClipGrab, down load the video and put it in the LED Hologram fan program to convert it and done. I would suggest using some video manipulation program that can do very simple feature such as brightness and cropping to manipulate the video slightly to use between the programs to give a slightly more polished video, but it is not needed.

I will try to get you a few Metallica concerts for the video selection for you.

Here is an example of a Youtube video. I LOVE Creature from the Black Lagoon. One of the coolest videos for this game I thought was the old drive in videos with the dancing candy!! Can you think of a better topper for Creature then those videos?? I have added a few of those videos to our library and they were from YouTube.

Also remember you can stack up to 50 videos. You could do a concert clip then the 3D Metallica logo (which we have) then another concert clip, 3D Metallica logo. You can do this up to 50 videos. If you put them in order, every time you use the 3D Metallica logo it would count as a video.

Dan

#228 4 years ago
Quoted from Pitanh:

Gotta say I'm a big 'Fan' of your product! Nice meeting Dan and Chuck this weekend Pintastic and can't wait for the pre-order to get to NH.
Just gotta find a spot that the cats cant get to!

Thank you for the feedback. I think I remember talking with you. We do have a few cat videos, but per the 2 above posts, find your favorite cat videos on Youtube and you can make your own. Please post any new videos on our community when done.

Dan

#229 4 years ago
Quoted from Brtlkat:

When these come from the factory, Wall mount kits are already included when these are purchased.

Yes, both the wall mount version and the topper version will come with a wall mount.

#230 4 years ago

Yes, both the wall mount version and the topper version will come with a wall mount.

Hey there. Not sure if this was asked yet, but how many inches minimum are needed between the top of the back box and the ceiling for this topper?

Thanks!

#231 4 years ago
Quoted from wiggy07:

I posted a quick Pintastic Walk Thru video online. 17:30 of the video shows the great topper. The video shows the fan blades in the images because of the video settings of the camera. In person the fan rotation is not seen on the actual images. Topper looks great.
Blog Post :
https://pinballsupernova.wordpress.com/2019/06/30/pintastic-2019-sturbridge-ma-june-27th-30th-highlights-video-walkthru-3d-hologram-topper/
YouTube Video :

Thank you very much, great looking video. Thank you also for all your support of the pinball community.

Dan

#232 4 years ago
Quoted from pinnyheadhead:

Hey there. Not sure if this was asked yet, but how many inches minimum are needed between the top of the back box and the ceiling for this topper?
Thanks!

I spoke w/Chuck @ pintastic and I believe he told me they'd be 18" tall...Dan, please correct me if I'm mistaken.

#233 4 years ago

Thank you very much, great looking video. Thank you also for all your support of the pinball community.
Dan

My wife and I loved them. Put me on the list.

#234 4 years ago
Quoted from pinnyheadhead:

Thanks!

The topper version comes with 2 height stands. The tallest version is 17 3/4" tall, the short version is about 2 inches shorter.

We are working on a stand that will be 9 inches tall. Not sure if that will work or how it will work, but hope to have the prototype done in 10 days.

Dan

#235 4 years ago
Quoted from Outlanes:

My wife and I loved them. Put me on the list.

Got it, thank you.

Dan

#236 4 years ago

Thank you so much for this comment, I got GREAT NEWS for you.
We did a short video of a concert of AC/DC for the fan, but we could only show 100 videos at Pintastic, and we decided not to show that one.
This is part of the reason this is the Ultimate Topper, you can make your own very quick. The product comes with the software to convert any standard video to the LED Hologram format.
Go to Youtube and find a Metallic concert you like, their is a huge selection, because I looked. Get an app/plugin/program to capture the video from Youtube. We use ClipGrab because the program is fee and is very easy to use. Use ClipGrab, down load the video and put it in the LED Hologram fan program to convert it and done. I would suggest using some video manipulation program that can do very simple feature such as brightness and cropping to manipulate the video slightly to use between the programs to give a slightly more polished video, but it is not needed.
I will try to get you a few Metallica concerts for the video selection for you.
Here is an example of a Youtube video. I LOVE Creature from the Black Lagoon. One of the coolest videos for this game I thought was the old drive in videos with the dancing candy!! Can you think of a better topper for Creature then those videos?? I have added a few of those videos to our library and they were from YouTube.
Also remember you can stack up to 50 videos. You could do a concert clip then the 3D Metallica logo (which we have) then another concert clip, 3D Metallica logo. You can do this up to 50 videos. If you put them in order, every time you use the 3D Metallica logo it would count as a video.
Dan

Dude, so I can upload my own footage from concerts I’VE been too? AND put it on the topper?!?!

#237 4 years ago
Quoted from tilted81:

Dude, so I can upload my own footage from concerts I’VE been too? AND put it on the topper?!?!

YES! YES! YES! That is why this is the ultimate topper! Video only, no audio.

We had one customer that has leagues, and he is going to put league footage on them for a prize to that player with best game.

You can put any video on these you want. I am not sure of the maximum time length yet, that will take some testing.

The question came up about pictures, if you want to do something that is a picture, you would need to make a video of it. Example, if you had a great 4" Deadpool figure you wanted to use as a topper, but it was to small. Lay that figure on a black cloth and video that figure. you may want to crop it, I think Windows movie maker will do that, and comes with all windows. Many phones can crop also. BINGO, you now have an 17" topper that is hanging in space on your game from you 4" figure. The reason for the black cloth background, is because the black gives you the transparent look as in the videos.

The resolution is not that high on these, but they still look great! Most phones will have high enough resolution to make great videos for this.

Dan

#238 4 years ago

I would also like to be added to the list, these look great!

#239 4 years ago
Quoted from finnflash:

I would also like to be added to the list, these look great!

Thank you, got it.

#241 4 years ago
Quoted from MustangPaul:

You KNOW I want one Dan.

Thank you Paul, I have you on the list.

Dan

#242 4 years ago

This seems like a must-have item.... put me on the list, even if tentatively, and I can't wait to see it at SFGE next week!

#243 4 years ago
Quoted from littlecammi:

I don't have enough ceiling clearance to fit it as a topper, but I'll buy one and fit it in somewhere in my game room.

Just re-posting this to make sure that I am on the list.

#244 4 years ago

Put me on the list for the wall one

#245 4 years ago

Low ceiling. Can I list for a wall unit?

#246 4 years ago

A Leia hologram video is a must.

#247 4 years ago
Quoted from alveolus:

A Leia hologram video is a must.

That’s an epic idea!

1 week later
#248 4 years ago

Finally got to see this in person at SFGE.... very cool! It really gets your attention and the noise it makes would not be apparent in the typical game room with 1 or 2 pins being played.

#249 4 years ago

Litedpinballmods Dan, can you put me on the list? Thanks

#250 4 years ago

Any more updates on availability?

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball
Other
There are 653 posts in this topic. You are on page 5 of 14.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/-the-ultimate-pinball-topper-omg-you-need-to-see-this/page/5?hl=calfdemon and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.