(Topic ID: 245322)

The Ultimate Pinball Topper. OMG, you need to see this!

By Litedpinballmods

4 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 653 posts
  • 149 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 1 year ago by PinMonk
  • Topic is favorited by 79 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

mcp (resized).JPG
EB9D2159-F0AB-4151-B396-1275D8FA022A (resized).jpeg
20210108_172319 (resized).jpg
Screen Sh(1) (resized).jpg
F92448B0-9F12-4F68-B118-3526346CDB94 (resized).jpeg
20190930_215748 (resized).jpg
1 fan (resized).jpg
1 fan 2 (resized).jpg
1 fan 1 (resized).jpg
20190918_190217 (resized).jpg
0911170703e_resized (resized).jpg
0911171644_resized (resized).jpg
20190902_155827 (resized).jpg
224 wifi (resized).jpg
dorian (resized).jpg
3333 (resized).jpg
There are 653 posts in this topic. You are on page 3 of 14.
#101 4 years ago

Hey Dan is it possible to put a black plastic backdrop on your mod so that it makes the image stand out. Does this suggestion make sense?

#102 4 years ago
Quoted from Brtlkat:

A row of games with these on them will be very loud these are like 60 decibels each. People had issues with stern spike system tiny power supply fans noise. These are alot louder then those.

Thank you for the comment. Because of your comment we put a decibel meter on the fan, and it come out about 37.5 which is the same as a whisper. We will have a video posted later today to demonstrate. If someone would have asked, I would have done the test and posted, now a bunch of people are thinking it is 60 decibels and their is now even a post comparing to a vacuum.

It has about the sound level of a desk fan. Why does it have about the sound level of a desk fan? BECAUSE IT IS A BASICALLY A DESK FAN!! Think about it, use common sense.

If you want to get the real scoop, hopefully people that see our demo at Pintasic will post on here. Pintasic is a very lit location, and these will be in higher light then there then nearly any one will have these at there home.

It is now getting to the point that I have to defend our product on this thread about information that is not correct. This is getting frustrating and time consuming, this is why many people don't like to come to Pinside.

#103 4 years ago

It’s cool...these have come a long way and I can see it as a gameroom decoration. Traditionally I guess a topper kind of completes/compliments the total art package.....now days it seems like people just stick on anything and call it a topper. I think the key to these would be to making them interactive to run specific animations at certain points of gameplay. A constant looping animation may get old and be distracting while playing.

This definitely would be BETTER than the FUGLY Stern topper on GB.

Can’t wait to see how these look in person.

#104 4 years ago
Quoted from MustangPaul:

Hey Dan is it possible to put a black plastic backdrop on your mod so that it makes the image stand out. Does this suggestion make sense?

Thanks Paul for a practical question, you always have positive and quality comments. I don't think that would be necessary. It is very bright, we did most of our tests on this in our shop, which has 6 of the 4 foot fluorescent lights, and the image still looked ineradicable and very bright. I would compare the brightness to a standard television, good chance it is slightly brighter. It is small LED's so it is pretty bright.

Pintastic is going to be a great test for these, because the vendor hall is very bright.

#105 4 years ago
Quoted from MustangPaul:

When you see these in person... you don't need it to make the image stand out. They are very bright. They work fine even in daylight lit spaces. You actually want to minimize the amount of structure or other stuff around it as it helps sell the idea that the thing is 'floating'.

#106 4 years ago
Quoted from Pickle:

It’s cool...these have come a long way and I can see it as a gameroom decoration. Traditionally I guess a topper kind of completes/compliments the total art package.....now days it seems like people just stick on anything and call it a topper. I think the key to these would be to making them interactive to run specific animations at certain points of gameplay. A constant looping animation may get old and be distracting while playing.
This definitely would be BETTER than the FUGLY Stern topper on GB.
Can’t wait to see how these look in person.

Thank you for the quality comment. We have done many tests on this, and have not hit the limit on time. The memory card can hold 50 files, and we have had 10 minutes of video. I think you could go longer on time with a larger card (we are using 16 G) but we have not tested that.

In our library we are going to include lengths of black, so if you want to space out different videos so they are not all back to back we will do that. Example would be the posted slimmer video is about 30 seconds, you could put that then a 20 second black space then our ecto 1 video, then a black space, then the ghost busters logo, then the black space, then the ghost busters title, then a black space then repeat.

We are making multiple videos for most game so you can stack them or just pick you favorite.

Of course we are making the videos to be the theme of the game.

Dracula is another game we are having difficulty doing videos for. One video we have that runs about a minute is a moon with cloud cover going across it. It is a very nice video, and being that long it is not very repetitive.

We plan on making a lot of videos, and it sounds like some other people may want to also, so the library may be pretty huge by the end of the year. Once you start playing with this, a lot of options come up.

A couple of thoughts about the looping video is one, you won't really be watching it when you are playing, play all toppers (in my opinion) are their to custom and enhance the look of your game, two I guarantee a looped video won't be as boring as a topper on your game that just sits their.

Plus if you get tired of it on one game, get a new video and move it to another game.

I will promise you this, you have this on your game, and you bring your buddies over, it is the first thing they will notice and they will be amazed!!

#107 4 years ago
Quoted from flynnibus:

When you see these in person... you don't need it to make the image stand out. They are very bright. They work fine even in daylight lit spaces. You actually want to minimize the amount of structure or other stuff around it as it helps sell the idea that the thing is 'floating'.

Thank you for your positive and informative post. You are spot on.

I think a lot of quality feedback will come from Pinfest, you really have to see it to understand it.

#108 4 years ago

Sent you a PM for a GB one once available

#109 4 years ago

Cool idea. Hope to see one in person somewhere

#110 4 years ago

BKSoR needs a good topper. Stern version will be about $500 but having an animated knight helmet projected above the game for half the cost would be great. Image would be 3d and BLACK and swivel back and forth with glowing yellow eye slits and steam coming from the mouth slits. Make it more realistic than life itself!

#111 4 years ago

I really want to thank the few guys that have posted that have personally seen this technology, it is very amazing.

Remember, this was the first sentence on the first post of this tread:

Imagine if someone was color blind and could only see black and white their entire life, then try to explain color to them. That comparison is how these videos are to the real thing!!

#112 4 years ago
Quoted from jeffspinballpalace:

BKSoR needs a good topper. Stern version will be about $500 but having a moving knight helmet for half the cost would be great. It would be 3d and BLACK and swivel back and forth with glowing yellow eye slits.

If someone here want to make me a good one, I will pay them. The ability to make a good one for that game is beyond what I am able to do. The knight needs to be close to the one in the game, but not exact, don't want Rick issues. If someone is interested in making it, please PM me.

#113 4 years ago

Geez people, take all of your negativity somewhere else. I don't know if you are jealous you didn't come up with the idea or just bitter negative people in general. We all know these devices exist and have existed for sometime outside of the pinball world. If you're so smart now, then why didn't you develop a pinball friendly version and profit from it? What LPM is doing is taking the technology and adapting it to a topper. They are not only providing the device, but they are also designing and providing a stand for it, designing a way to integrate it with various pins, and developing and providing a multitude of videos for various pins. All of this stuff takes time, effort, and money to develop - and at $250 that is only $100-$150 on top of the cost of the device for all those things.

Start your own thread to complain, tell people how they can make their own, or why the idea sucks as a topper. In the meantime, the rest of us will appreciate something new and creative that has been added to the pinball world, and are curious in exploring the possibilities.

#114 4 years ago
Quoted from Franking1302:

Super cool stuff, looks amazing. Please make one for a Alien, that’s amazing. Do you ship to Europe?
Best regarts
Frank

Yes to shipping to Europe.

I thought all aliens had the yellow siren light on the top of the game? I may be able to make one, but it I don't think it will mount properly with a siren light on top.

#115 4 years ago

Hoping to see these in action at SFGE next month!

#116 4 years ago

This is a horrible video.. as I just grabbed it with my phone when I saw this tech this past week. I include it here just to show you can see it clearly even in daylight. In fact in person, it was much brighter and you saw the fans behind it less. The iris of the camera and lack of blur just make filming this difficult.

In person it was way more impressive (and why I pulled my phone out to begin with )

#117 4 years ago
Quoted from Litedpinballmods:

If someone here want to make me a good one, I will pay them. The ability to make a good one for that game is beyond what I am able to do. The knight needs to be close to the one in the game, but not exact, don't want Rick issues. If someone is interested in making it, please PM me.

OMG! this is going to be huge. If a badass black knight happens, I’ll be customer #1 & #2. Mark it ”2” Dude.

#118 4 years ago
Quoted from Mr_Tantrum:

Geez people, take all of your negativity somewhere else. I don't know if you are jealous you didn't come up with the idea or just bitter negative people. We all know these devices exist and have existed for sometime outside of the pinball world. If you're so smart now, then why didn't you develop a pinball friendly version and profit from it? What LPM is doing is taking the technology and adapting it to a topper. They are not only providing the device, but they are also designing and providing a stand for it, designing a way to integrate it with various pins, and developing and providing a multitude of videos for various pins. All of this stuff takes time, effort, and money to develop - and at $250 that is only $100-$150 on top of the cost of the device for all those things.
Start your own thread to complain, tell people how they can make their own, or why the idea sucks as a topper. In the meantime, the rest of us will appreciate something new and creative that has been added to the pinball world, and are curious in exploring the possibilities.

THANK YOU, THANK YOU, THANK YOU, THANK YOU

People don't realize how unmotivating many of these comments are. I was very close to not wanting to make any more comments on this thread. For hours I have had to defend things when I should be working on this product for everyone.

THANK YOU very much for saying what you did.

#119 4 years ago

My earlier questions - what file formats can the animations be provided in, what resolution works best and what is max file size? Those parameters explain the limits and maybe the best path forward to supplying the input.

#120 4 years ago
Quoted from DugFreez:

www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_trksid=p2323847.m570.l1312.R1.TR10.TRC2.A0.H0.Xphoto.TRS2&_nkw=photosensitive+relay&_sacat=0
Looks like your invention really took off. They are all over ebay with multiple sellers and manufacturers. I'm pretty sure they have been readily available for several years. I bought a couple of them myself from ebay about a year ago. They are relays made specifically to switch on and off when they sense different levels of light....I don't really understand what you added to that to justify you calling them your invention.
The toppers look nice. I have seen the 3D hologram fans pop up on my Facebook feed recently and they look cool, but I have never seen one in person. I can imagine a row of games with them all having them installed would look very futuristic.
Good luck with their sales and I hope to see one in person soon, as I'm sure they would look even more impressive in person than they do on a video.

Also Doug, I know you fiercely protect your product, which I agree with, because it is your child, and it is a great product When I came out with my phtotsensor relay you were impressed with it and you gave me many positive comments. You also know we talked about it many months before Rock Custom Pinball stole my design. You get very upset when people take your idea and make a version of it. Well, I have had so many ideas stolen from me, I decide I am going to call out those that steal my ideas. Do you now support people in the pinball world that steal others people hard work and design innovations?

If calling out people that steal your ideas is wrong, I am sorry, but that is now I feel.

#121 4 years ago

I think the artwork has value but the tech has been out for a while and is pretty simple. Most of the ones available are pretty low end novelty items out of China. I can see these breaking down pretty quickly for people that have there pins on daily. I think you would need to redesign the friction points and electrical contacts to get any kind of longevity out of these. Everyone in pinball has a pretty good grasp on how things with moving parts break down. As a cool thing to turn on when your friends are over or during a tournament these would be fun, but I dunno about long term use as topper.

#122 4 years ago

If this product is a fan, then it blows air. Nobody has mentioned whether the topper blows any / slight / moderate amounts of air and whether it could be purposely angled towards or away from player? This might be a dual category product - pinball topper / cooling device. If it is a fan, WWDD - What would Dyson do? Could this be bladeless? Also since everybody hates the cord, can it come primed and ready to paint? That would allow one to match their wall color and make it disappear.

#123 4 years ago

My earlier questions - what file formats can the animations be provided in, what resolution works best and what is max file size? Those parameters explain the limits and maybe the best path forward to supplying the input.

The file format that the fan supports is a bin file. The software that comes with the fan will take a standard video format and convert it to the required format and size, so any standard video format would work.

To make the video's I have to use 4 different programs to do the manipulation I need, but in any format I think I can make it work. As for definition, it does not need to be that high, because I think the software reduces the resolution to work on the fan.

The images look the best with a black background, that gives you the see through effect and gives it the floating appearance. For this reason anything that is black is a bit harder to do. The night has a lot of gold on it which is good, is some of the black was slightly reflective that would be good. You can have black on your image, but you can't have a bunch, and it does not look good if black is on the edges. If the knight was outlined in a red glow, that would take care of a lot of issues. The glow would need to be small, just around the edges.

If someone wants to make on, I will pay, I am not sure I put that in my past offer.

For example many movie clips look very bad on this, because they are to highly detailed.

#124 4 years ago

If this product is a fan, then it blows air. Nobody has mentioned whether the topper blows any / slight / moderate amounts of air and whether it could be purposely be angled toward player?

It's not a fan... it's a spinning light bar.

Fans move air by directing it with a curved blade. These don't have curved blades.

#125 4 years ago

Don’t let the negativity stop you from trying something new. Many are asking for new technology in pinball and this is new.

It’s not game play but it adds to the whole art/visual experience which is part of pinball.

I think this is something most will need to see in person, myself included, before making a real opinion.

#126 4 years ago
Quoted from Darscot:

I think the artwork has value but the tech has been out for a while and is pretty simple. Most of the ones available are pretty low end novelty items out of China. I can see these breaking down pretty quickly for people that have there pins on daily. I think you would need to redesign the friction points and electrical contacts to get any kind of longevity out of these. Everyone in pinball has a pretty good grasp on how things with moving parts break down. As a cool thing to turn on when your friends are over or during a tournament these would be fun, but I dunno about long term use as topper.

I understand, that is what many people said about or plasma pop bumpers, and the originals we put on our games 3 years ago still work fine. As a matter of fact we have hauled them over 30,000 miles to different shows. Also, CGC was so happy with the plasma performance that they put thin in their LE monster bash.

I cannot say if your information is correct on way or another, but most of these are made for commercial use, because they do have very limited consumer use. A topper I think is a perfect use.

Do you have documentation?

#127 4 years ago

Thanks Paul for a practical question, you always have positive and quality comments. I don't think that would be necessary. It is very bright, we did most of our tests on this in our shop, which has 6 of the 4 foot fluorescent lights, and the image still looked ineradicable and very bright. I would compare the brightness to a standard television, good chance it is slightly brighter. It is small LED's so it is pretty bright.
Pintastic is going to be a great test for these, because the vendor hall is very bright.

Thanks Dan, I was just thinking that it would hide the motor also. Put me down for one also, I REALLY like the Slimer one.

#128 4 years ago
Quoted from flynnibus:

It's not a fan... it's a spinning light bar.
Fans move air by directing it with a curved blade. These don't have curved blades.

FLYNNIBUS thank you very much on your support and bring your experience and view point to the discussion. It sounds like you have some practical experience your are sharing with the group.

#129 4 years ago

People also forgot all the other small overheads when selling these products like paypal/credit card fees. Then your taxed on your profit. There is packaging and most important the person's time to R&D it / build / test / ship / customer support. It all adds up.

I saw these at a UK casino trade show. They had the flat ones and also the 3D globe ones which are pretty cool as well. Globe ones where incased in huge plastic dome so completely silent.

#130 4 years ago
Quoted from MustangPaul:

Thanks Dan, I was just thinking that it would hide the motor also. Put me down for one also, I REALLY like the Slimer one.

Thanks Paul. The image is so hypnotic and memorizing that you hardly notice the motor. One video we did was the introduction to the Munsters show in color. I find that videos that take up the entire screen the motor is more visible. I am not sure how to explain it, because you cannot see the motor in those videos, but that 4 inch round area looks a bit different, kind of shinny. On the Twilight Zone intro you don't have that effect, because the Twilight Zone intro has a lot of black and in some area it has stars. We have stars on another video, and stars are really cool, because they are little spots on lights that just hang in the air.

After I get caught up on this project, and taking care of a few other things, I may have to paint the motor housing the color of my wall.

#131 4 years ago
Quoted from Litedpinballmods:Doug, thank you on the comment on this item.
I am surprised about your comment on my photosensor relay, let me explain.
You make speaker lights, right? Well, the LED strips were around before your speaker lights, remote controlled LED's were around before speaker lights, LED mounts were around before your speaker lights, 12 volt power supply's were around before your speaker lights. So what makes your speaker lights so special? It is that configured and adapted it for pinball use. I don't diminish your product even though that technology was out before your product, you have a great product.
The technology for my relay was out before I made it, but I configure it and adapted it to work on pinball. I changed the electrical flow chart, if you look at all of your relays, you had to use an out side wire to jump the power path, I made the wire long enough to give the flexibility to mount easaly, I made the pedometer sensitive enough so you can put the photosensor close enough to a single play field LED and it would turn on and off an item, I changed it from a mechanical relay to a solid state relay to cut down on noise and current use, I put a standard 12V plug on it so it could hook up easily.
I made many changed to existing products to make it work in the pinball industry, that is what is different on my relay, and my hologram fan, and my plasma pop bumpers, my photo sensor relay, and my pinspot graphics and my lighted magnetic hinge covers. All of those individual products were out before, I just adapted them and made those technologies work for pinball. Just exactly like you did for your speaker light kits.
Again, I am not knocking you product, I think it is great. Please don't knock my product because I made many changes for them to work on pinball.

I'm having a hard time understanding how descriptives that I used like "look nice" look cool" "look very futuristic" and ending with "I'm sure they would look even more impressive in person" can be considered a knock on your product???

#132 4 years ago

I think this is pretty amazing and I am certainly down for one.

Can't wait for them to be ready to ship!

#133 4 years ago

I understand, that is what many people said about or plasma pop bumpers, and the originals we put on our games 3 years ago still work fine. As a matter of fact we have hauled them over 30,000 miles to different shows. Also, CGC was so happy with the plasma performance that they put thin in their LE monster bash.
I cannot say if your information is correct on way or another, but most of these are made for commercial use, because they do have very limited consumer use. A topper I think is a perfect use.
Do you have documentation?

I'm not referring to plasma pop bumpers or anything to do with them no idea how that comparison is relevant. I was talking about these spinning LED displays that are widely available. I"m not selling anything, and would expect the person selling the product to provide documentation into the tested lifespan of the product. Maybe they are selling an improved more industrial strength version. The ones I have seen and have been out for a sometime are not in any way industrial they are a novelty items you see in pop up stand in malls and on ebay.

#134 4 years ago
Quoted from D-Gottlieb:

My take is that a pinball machine topper really should be an overall static display piece of some kind. I would want it to add to the theme of the machine while off and be of some, but not too much, additive value while the machine is on/playing. I can see this idea working in an arcade environment but not for home use, at least for me.

I agree completely with D-Gottlieb on this one. Part of the beauty of a topper for me is the sculpted/physical nature of it and the visual enhancement of the overall machine even when not turned on. I have an AFMrLE & TAF, and Tilttopper's works of art on AC/DC and T2, for reference.

I was an early adopter on the lighted speaker panels, and while service was a little rough at first, you guys eventually went above and beyond, and I've been very happy with you guys since. I own multiple panels and multiple hinge kits. I love the innovative products you've brought to our hobby! Even though this latest one isn't my thing, I applaud your efforts.

#135 4 years ago
Quoted from DugFreez:

I'm having a hard time understanding how descriptives that I used like "look nice" look cool" "look very futuristic" and ending with "I'm sure they would look even more impressive in person" can be considered a knock on your product???

Thanks Doug for the positive comments. Doug, I was sorry if misinterpreted your comments , I felt your comment on the originality of my relay was sarcastic and slightly condescending, but that was my mistake and I apologize.

My main way of thinking is those of use that adapt current technology to adapt them to the pinball work to make the pinball experience more enjoyable should stick together against those that would steal our original ideas to try to make them their own.

That is why I posted the you tube video of our Lighted Magnetic Hinge Cover to demonstrate my product was out for many months before Chris Rock stole my concept to try to make it his.

Because the relay is in this product, I don't want people to think I was stealing Rock idea, when it was he that stole my idea.

#136 4 years ago

Dan,

I mistakenly dropped one of my plasma bumpers onto a concrete floor. Ordered a replacement last night. Now I dont know if the cracked one will still work, but I was thinking I can put it behind my Xenon topper. Then I see this new product. So picture this.
I put this new product behind the Xenon topper. And I run the monster bash video through it since it has the plasma lines kinda thing in the video.
This should make the topper tie into the game with the mods I will done perfectly!
What do you think?

#137 4 years ago
Quoted from SeaLawyer:

I agree completely with D-Gottlieb on this one. Part of the beauty of a topper for me is the sculpted/physical nature of it and the visual enhancement of the overall machine even when not turned on. I have an AFMrLE & TAF, and Tilttopper's works of art on AC/DC and T2, for reference.
I was an early adopter on the lighted speaker panels, and while service was a little rough at first, you guys eventually went above and beyond, and I've been very happy with you guys since. I own multiple panels and multiple hinge kits. I love the innovative products you've brought to our hobby! Even though this latest one isn't my thing, I applaud your efforts.

Thank you for your comment.

I do understand that thought, and it can be a valid concern, here is a picture of it off with the power cord tapped to the side of the stand.

Also, I want to thank you for being an early adopter and going through many or our growing pains.

People do adapt products so they can fit better. Mustangpaul suggest putting black behind to better improve the performance and hide the motor. Because of his suggestion, it did make me think you could paint the motor housing to match your back wall. I am not saying that is going to work, but as good quality suggestions and more people use them, ways to overcome this or other concerns may be overcome. you cannot paint the long bar because it does house the LED's

We learned on many our products, the least amount of custom work the better. On this product we are trying to make as much of this factory built as possible to limit growing pains. Also, we figured making a library means more choices for everyone and we can better custom your product. Also that means if a new pinball machine comes out, you just need the new software, and you could put your old mod on a new game.

fan off (resized).jpgfan off (resized).jpg
#138 4 years ago
Quoted from EdHess:

Dan,
I mistakenly dropped one of my plasma bumpers onto a concrete floor. Ordered a replacement last night. Now I dont know if the cracked one will still work, but I was thinking I can put it behind my Xenon topper. Then I see this new product. So picture this.
I put this new product behind the Xenon topper. And I run the monster bash video through it since it has the plasma lines kinda thing in the video.
This should make the topper tie into the game with the mods I will done perfectly!
What do you think?

Thank you for your support.

If it is cracked it probably won't work. I compare a plasma to a neon light. Neon lights are a gas enclosed in glass tubes, and they can run for a heck of a long time as long as the glass is not broken, same thing with the plasma.

The idea of using this with another topper has come up a few times, and as long as you have the clearance for the fan, yes that should work. If you put any kind of light behind the fan, you can see that light, and you will still be able to see the fan.

Using the Monster Bash video on Xenon is a great idea!! I even have a Xenon here and did not think of that. And yes this mod will work with Xenon.

Again, thanks for your idea and support.

Dan

#139 4 years ago
Quoted from Litedpinballmods:Thanks Doug for the positive comments. Doug, I was sorry if misinterpreted your comments , I felt your comment on the originality of my relay was sarcastic and slightly condescending, but that was my mistake and I apologize.

No mistake there. That was how I meant it. I now believe we (you and I) have a very different understanding of the words "invented" and "invention". So no apology needed.

My main way of thinking is those of use that adapt current technology to adapt them to the pinball work to make the pinball experience more enjoyable should stick together against those that would steal our original ideas to try to make them their own.

I'm all for that. I can name out a half dozen speaker light kit copiers, but I try to let it rest until they make much noise. I did it first and no one does it better.

That is why I posted the you tube video of our Lighted Magnetic Hinge Cover to demonstrate my product was out for many months before Chris Rock stole my concept to try to make it his.

Yeah, that video was where I first saw the relays used and when I started asking you about how they worked. Thanks for trying to help me understand them better. As for Chris Rock stealing things...I pretty much disagree there.

Because the relay is in this product, I don't want people to think I was stealing Rock idea, when it was he that stole my idea.

I believe this is the biggest point of disagreement that I have. What does he sell, that he has copied off of you? When you answer....follow up with....Do you sell that product? I think I know the answers and that is where we vary in our opinions. When I say someone copied my speaker lights....I mean they copied my speaker lights. In most cases they bought them from me and in many cases they bought them from me for the sole reason of copying them.....and they are selling speaker lights. In your case with Rock, you sell mods that need power and he sells a power adapter / splitter (that could be used to power your, or anyones mods). It just so happens that your mods and his power adapter / splitter use the same type of photosensitive relay to turn on and off.

I just can't see you saying you invented that relay and I can't see you saying he stole your invention. Is no one else now allowed to use a photosensitive relay (that can be bought from 100+ different sellers on eBay) to power a mod on and off? What if you would have answered my relay questions and it would have been a good fit for my new speaker lights? Would I not have been allowed to buy them from eBay and use them in a pinball speaker light kit?

It is the equivalent of getting upset because another mod maker is using the same +12v connection in a game that your mod has been using or someone else is making a power splitter for that location that your mod is using. I just don't see what has been copied in Rock and your case.

As for your toppers here, like I said, I think they look really impressive. I wasn't being sarcastic there. I would love to see a whole row of them going in a darkened gameroom. It would look like something out of Blade Runner....and I still say you have the best looking Bally / Williams speaker lights that are available and point folks your way when I get asked about speaker lights for Bally / Williams games.

I hope there are no hard feelings. I am sorry for raising a ruckus. I was digging the topper videos, but the relay invention mention derailed my happy thoughts a bit and after thinking about things, I think it basically comes down to our perceived differences in what "invented" means as it pertains to this instance and the photosensor relays.

So please accept my apology.

#140 4 years ago

Had some questions about the sound level. I put a decibel meter on my phone, my phone is about a year old.

I start the video with the topper on, and it comes in around 37 decibels, which the program classifieds as a whisper. I would say this is loader then a whisper. I will talk some and the meter jumps in the 60 decibel range, which is the proper range for a conversation. I stop talking and it drops back down to the 37 range.

I would say it is nosier then a whisper not as load as a conversation.

When I was walking through my house, my AC was on, and it was close to that level.

#141 4 years ago

Dougfreeze, no problem, be happy.

Thank you for the positive comments.

#142 4 years ago

Looks cool, sorry we won't be at pintastic to see them in person.

Sorry if this was noted, but how tall are they?

#143 4 years ago

Had some questions about the sound level. I put a decibel meter on my phone, my phone is about a year old.
I start the video with the topper on, and it comes in around 37 decibels, which the program classifieds as a whisper. I would say this is loader then a whisper. I will talk some and the meter jumps in the 60 decibel range, which is the proper range for a conversation. I stop talking and it drops back down to the 37 range.
I would say it is nosier then a whisper not as load as a conversation.
When I was walking through my house, my AC was on, and it was close to that level.

You might want to lay your phone on the glass, start with pin/topper off for a few seconds, turn pin/topper on for a few seconds, and then actually start and play a game (might take more than two hands to accomplish this). My guess is that the game sounds will by far overtake any notice of sound from the topper.

#144 4 years ago

They're definitely super cool. The topper runs whenever the machine is "on" correct? Many times I have the machines on but not in play. I bought a mod with 2 super tiny fans for my Indy once and it was INCREDIBLY annoying being on every time the machine was on. Is there an option to turn it off/on?

More toppers = more noise.

#145 4 years ago

Very cool! I love the idea of these as toppers and think you have a nice product at a fair price. Unfortunately my pins are in the basement and do not have the ceiling clearance needed or I would be in for one for sure. My thinking would be to buy one with projected images that would enhance one of your favorite pins and help make that pin stand out. But only one to avoid the cumulative noise that might result from a row of pins with them all running.

#146 4 years ago

Never did put the height.

The stand needs to be assembled, but it is just a few Philips head screws. The reason for this is because it has two plexiglass backs to adjust to your needed height.

The stand is designed with an 8 foot ceiling in mind.

The taller back will make the entire topper height of 17 3/4". This is the stand height we recommend if you can fit it. This stand is designed to work on Stern and Bally/Williams games in areas with an 8' foot ceiling, this should give about 2 inches of clearance.

When the fan blade comes down, the fan blade does not pass on top of the base, it passes above and in front of the base by about 1/2". Basically the stand is 3 1/2" wide, but the motor mount puts the blades out 4". The majority of the weight is on the motor housing, and the 3 1/2" wide base works just fine. YOU NEED TO USE SUPPLIED VELCRO or your fan will walk do to game play vibration.

This configuration will not work if you have a taller game such as a Sega or Gottlieb. This is what the shorter plexiglass back is for. This back will drop the fan rotation below the bottom of the base, so for this to work, the base MUST be lined up with the front edge of your back box, because the fan blade WILL go in front of your back box a little over an inch.

The height of the small stand is closer to 15 1/2", that number is a guess, but it has been tested.

Never an easy answer. But we tried to design this to switch between as many games as possible, and did not want people to have to by extra parts to get this to work on their game.

In saying that, we are thinking about carrying extra memory cards as an add on. this way if you have your videos for one game, if you want to change your topper to another game you don't have to erase your card and write over it.

#147 4 years ago
Quoted from Guinnesstime:

They're definitely super cool. The topper runs whenever the machine is "on" correct? Many times I have the machines on but not in play. I bought a mod with 2 super tiny fans for my Indy once and it was INCREDIBLY annoying being on every time the machine was on. Is there an option to turn it off/on?
More toppers = more noise.

Yes, with the relay, when you turn on your game, it will turn on the topper. The relay see the light from your game and turns it on.

For the easiest installation you would plug a supplied power supply in your service out (which is power on all of the time).

The topper comes with a 2.5 meter (10 feet extension). The way we would suggest installation is to loosen your woofer and grill, run the extension wire through the gap and secure the woofer and grill down. Run the extension up the back of your game to the topper.

Some games are different, like the Stern metal boxed games, they have a hole on the top of the back box that may be used.

Now the question comes up, What if I don't have a service outlet, like import or spooky games (we have an atomic explosion video). Run an extension cord from a wall outlet through the grill are on the bottom or back of your game. Plug the power supply into the extension. The relay will still turn on your topper when the game is turned on even if you are not using any wiring from the game.

This will also work for over sees games because the included power supply will work up to 240 volts. Those games will need a oversees to US plug adapter which is very available. We should probably carry those also.

We tried hard to make this as flexible as possible.

#148 4 years ago
Quoted from littlecammi:

Very cool! I love the idea of these as toppers and think you have a nice product at a fair price. Unfortunately my pins are in the basement and do not have the ceiling clearance needed or I would be in for one for sure. My thinking would be to buy one with projected images that would enhance one of your favorite pins and help make that pin stand out. But only one to avoid the cumulative noise that might result from a row of pins with them all running.

Thanks, what is the height of your basement? If it is 7 1/2" feet we may be able to make a back to the stand to work at that height. We will look into it.

#149 4 years ago

What is the height of your basement?

Unfortunately it is only 7'2" from floor to ceiling.

#150 4 years ago
Quoted from littlecammi:

Unfortunately it is only 7'2" from floor to ceiling.

Thanks for the reply. I live 5 miles from the ocean, so no basement,. 7' 2" would be to low to do anything.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 33.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts

$ 65.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
G-Money Mods

$ 78.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

Lighting - Led
Comet Pinball

$ 44.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PinBoss Mods

$ 700.00
Hardware
Chrome Candy

Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 28.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 115.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
pinballmod

$ 49.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
FlipMods

Cabinet - Other
UpKick Pinball

$ 259.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 45.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts

$ 30.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 50.00
Playfield - Protection
Duke Pinball

Trade
Machine - For Trade
Needville, TX
$ 24.00
Playfield - Protection
Pinhead mods

$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 24.95
Playfield - Protection
ULEKstore

$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 125.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
G-Money Mods

$ 399.00
Cabinet - Decals
Mircoplayfields

There are 653 posts in this topic. You are on page 3 of 14.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/-the-ultimate-pinball-topper-omg-you-need-to-see-this/page/3?hl=rasavage and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.