Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 19 posts
  • 11 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 1 year ago by Pinstym
  • Topic is favorited by 2 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider blueberryjohnson.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1 2 years ago

Now that Halloween and Ultraman are old news we can finally return to endlessly speculating about what's next.

While reading hundreds of guesses in the other thread (https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/spooky-2021-game-speculation-thread), I noticed something seemingly unique to Evil Dead / Army of Darkness vs. all the rest:

Evil Dead is the only "spooky" franchise where the iconic figure is the hero, not the monster.

For every other, the star is the villain: Jason, Freddy, Michael Meyers, Ghostface, Candyman, Pennywise, Phantasm guy, Hellraiser guy, etc. For ED / AOD, it's Ash.

Even when enemy isn't a single individual (zombie movies, Predator, Aliens, Terminators, Tremors), the featured attraction is the monsters. And while some of these franchises have heroes that appear in multiple installments (like Sarah Conner, Ripley, Zombieland crew), in none of them do those heroes eclipse the monster as the #1 iconic element of the series.

I'm no movie expert, so please point out any others that fit this at least very rare formula. The closest thing I can think are ones outside of the horror or sci fi genres like Indiana Jones or Die Hard.

EDIT:
    I thought of a few others that probably apply. So it's not a unique thing, just an uncommon one.

Funny enough, one of the other frequently requested themes—Scooby Doo—probably counts. These probably do as well (I've never seen them, so could be wrong):

- Blade
    - Hellboy
    - Spawn
    - Buffy the Vampire Slayer

And if we extend it to multiple heroes, that opens up others (like Ghostbusters, as mentioned below).

#4 2 years ago

Agree with this for a group (though not individual)

#5 2 years ago
    Quoted from erak:

Big trouble in Little China.
    Escape from New York.
    Buckaroo banzai
    Total recall
    RoboCop
    Running man

I don't believe any of these are franchises except for Escape from New York (and I'd agree with that one)

EDIT: And Robocop, apparently

#7 2 years ago
    Quoted from erak:

True, but they do have a hero that's more memorable than the monsters and/or bad guys.
    There is also the fifth element.

Agree. I was just asking about franchises because i realized how uncommon it is.

1 week later
    #15 2 years ago
    Quoted from joetechbob:

My guess is that Ben Heck is doing Army of Darkness with CGC. In a podcast interview some time back he had a quite specific vision for that game and IIRC, was the one Spooky didn't feel comfortable taking on an extra $500/game in licensing costs.

As I recall, it sounded like Bruce Campbell's $ demands to sign on were the roadblock.

Standalone, I'd favor Army of Darkness. Original trilogy makes most sense. I'd frankly be fine with just ED2 + AOD, but there are lots of true horror fans that love the original and would seem odd to exclude it. That said, most of what happens in 1 re-happens in two (just with different sensibilities, plus a lot more stuff that lends itself better to pinball). Having the distinctly different moods could be a boon too for ambience changes. Just would hope it wouldn't line up as a 1 split.

All that said, the more movies, the more licensing challenges. Don't know if decades have brought them under the same roof, but rights issues even impacted what previous footage could be used in later movies.

#16 2 years ago

Should ask benheck to come in here to share some of that vision. Don't remember what percentage were just ideas vs. actually developed.

3 weeks later
    #17 2 years ago

Oh man. Just imagine. Elwin. Sight unseen buy.

Quoted from zombieyeti:

I'll pour some gas on this for fun... I've talked about this property with Keith - he's a fan, as am I... but I wouldn't get your hopes up
    And here's a bit of lighter fluid... a super rough old sketch I did when Ash vs Evil Dead came out (Army of Darkness of Evil Dead 2 would be my choice - but with the TV series I thought it would be a better aim to get buy-in)...
    Why did I do a rough sketch over morning coffee? I was jokingly asked about properties that interested me by someone at Stern ... sooooo, I did a series of sketches for various properties. This was number one.
    That said - I like challenges & niche cult material personally (and I think longevity comes from cult vs burn-out from mainstream licenses over time...) I think if you could distill the quirks of the material in visuals & story/rules it could have a very broad appeal ... and selfishly, if it did ever happen I'd want to be a part of it
    [quoted image]

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider blueberryjohnson.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/-the-next-next-spooky-pin-question-about-evil-dead-?tu=blueberryjohnson and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.