Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 122 posts
  • 20 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 9 months ago by Mopar
  • Topic is favorited by 17 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_1342 (resized).JPG
    IMG_1343 (resized).JPG
    IMG_1333 (resized).JPG
    IMG_1332 (resized).JPG
    IMG_1330 (resized).JPG
    IMG_0887 (resized).JPG
    IMG_0712 (resized).JPG
    IMG_0701 (resized).JPG
    IMG_0675 (resized).JPG
    IMG_0671 (resized).JPG
    IMG_0674 (resized).JPG
    IMG_0672 (resized).JPG
    IMG_0664 (resized).JPG
    IMG_0666 (resized).JPG
    IMG_0656 (resized).JPG
    IMG_0655 (resized).JPG

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider mopar.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1 3 years ago

I was asked if I would do a thread of the park that I've developed throughout the years.
    I'll start off with a couple small segments, and if it seems to have interest, I'll continue.
    Last night I checked the older pics (slides) that I had takin', and much of the work I did,
    I hadn't takin' any pics. I took more once I finally got a digital camera maybe 10 years ago.
    When I first bought the property, the upper portion was a cornfield. First of course came
    the house, and then from trenching, I was able to obtain 20 or 25 10 wheeler loads of fill
    dirt from the town, and used it to build up the land to build a barn. I got the pipe for free,
    and used that for the barn's main frame work.

IMG_0195 (1) (resized).JPGIMG_0195 (1) (resized).JPGIMG_0197 (1) (resized).JPGIMG_0197 (1) (resized).JPG
    #3 3 years ago

Once I started on the pond area, all I was thinking was a path where you wouldn't get your feet
    wet (artesian springs), a pavilion, bench swing, and I also visualized a bridge over the pond.
    A Friend came down with his dozer, and dozed out around 10" of spoil which gave me enough
    fill to build up the 7 or 8' drop to cement in the anchors for pavilion. Then a Friend brought his
    crawler over (a dozer but with a bucket) and we put 6" of stone down, then around 4" of cruiser
    run on top of the stone. That way the springs ran underneath through the 6" of stone.
    On top of the hill was the main spring. I had to keep filling in that spring with cinder blocks (that
    I was givin') to keep the crawler afloat. It took two large pellets of blocks for the crawler to be able
    to finish..
    I need to skip many steps (picture wise) because of the lack of pics I had takin'.
    Last night I took these pics from slides shown off the fridge.

IMG_0196 (resized).JPGIMG_0196 (resized).JPGIMG_0200 (1) (resized).JPGIMG_0200 (1) (resized).JPGIMG_0201 (1) (resized).JPGIMG_0201 (1) (resized).JPGIMG_0201 (1) (resized).JPGIMG_0201 (1) (resized).JPGIMG_0203 (resized).JPGIMG_0203 (resized).JPG
    #4 3 years ago
    Quoted from Isochronic_Frost:

Can’t wait to see all the construction photos and how you achieved it!

Hey, you're not terribly far away. I should give you a heads up the next time there's a gathering.
    There's an annual happening in August, and a Friend asked about him putting on a party next
    month..
    I'll post more tomorrow. I don't want to bored too many all at once. Haha!

#6 3 years ago
    Quoted from Pinbub:

Mopar,Thanks for starting this. When you said you might in the other thread I was looking forward too it. Definitely following!

Your welcome.
    I got thinking and figured I was missing like maybe 10 years worth of slides of projects.
    So I looked and dug a little deeper, and found another tray of slides. In it was
    quite a few of the park, so that'll help fill in some of the gap picture wise..
    I'll post again tomorrow. (T)

#7 3 years ago

Okay, next after the pavilion was up, I finished the bench swing which I cemented
    in the 2 vertical 3" pipes the fall before along with the 6 pavilion anchor post..
    Then next was cementing in the 4 light post going down the path. I ran the wire
    from the red barn's 100 amp breaker box, and I already ran the lights wiring (along
    with the wire for a phone) in cased while putting the path's stone down..
    It would have been nice if I had takin' more slide pics, but I guess fortunate to
    have this early one of the bench and a couple of the lights. Maybe because 35mm slide
    film was like $10.00 for a 24 pic roll, and another $10.00 to have it developed was one of
    the reasons for limited pics. Haha..
    Edit: Only one of the light post are shown. The other is blocked by the brush.
    Also, next was the bird house I believe. Hard to exactly remember. These slides weren't
    in perfect order. I remember that bird house being very heavy. Me in the crawler bucket is
    how it got mounted..

IMG_0207 (resized).JPGIMG_0207 (resized).JPG

#8 3 years ago

Surely, I had other projects going on up above at the house, but next for the pond was fabricating
    the bridge. A Friend living in the sticks had a run down house trailer out back on his property. We burned
    it down and after stripping the wood off of the beams, between a torch and a grinder, I was able to get
    sections of four 20 ft. beams, and two 30 ft. beams. Because the beams doubled up at the axles, got an extra
    20 ft. beam off of each side, and that's how I was able to get 140 ft. worth of beam. I knew the bridge had to be
    70 ft., and just got lucky that it came out to exactly 140 ft. of beam I was able to get from the trailer..
    So I borrowed a flat bed trailer, and brought the sections of beam to the Red Barn which was pretty much
    empty at the time. With jigs that I rigged up, I built a 30' section of the bridge, then on top of that I built
    a 20' section, then on that another 20' section so each lower section was more less a tamplet for the
    section being built on top of it. That made certain that each section was the exact same width.
    I took an 80" or so long paper and made a blue print where 1"=1 ft.
    This way I could precisely place each cross beam (which I use 2" thick wall pipe), and 2" pipe used for
    the floor crossovers, and not have them interfere with each other along with the upcoming 1" vertical piping
    used for the verticals for the hand railings. Wish I had pics of the sections while in the barn, but I didn't
    see any.
    Then in Fall, with the help of 7 working buddies (we had a few brews after), the eight of us carried
    and lined up the sections on the path going down to the pond. I had (still have) a 50' and 150' welding
    extensions for the stick welder and welded up the 3 sections while they were on the stoned path.
    Sorry I had to write so much, but that's because of the lack of pics to do the explaining.
    If anyone is still interested, I'll write up a couple more post tomorrow..
    Edit: In the pic, I used U channels every 4 ft. that came from the trailer. Later, for extra strength, I added
    2" cross pipe in between each of the U channels. I got the pipe for free from old torn down greenhouses.
    I can't always remember exactly how I did things until I take another look at the pics after posting when
    they're larger..
    Edit: I have to edit again. The 2" crossover pipe is already welded. I alternated the U channel and pipe
    2 to 1. I now remember not having enough U channel so I used the pipe also by using 2 U channels
    then 1 pipe. I later put the crossover pipe for the floor boards every two ft..

IMG_0198 (resized).JPGIMG_0198 (resized).JPGIMG_0199 (1) (resized).JPGIMG_0199 (1) (resized).JPG

#11 3 years ago
    Quoted from Daditude:

A disc golf course would be AMAZING on that property

I play the Mini Golf once in a while, but that's about it. Had to look up disc golf,
    and yes, looks to be a good Summer game..

#12 3 years ago
    Quoted from edward472:

You've made me strongly consider restoring park playground equipment.

Yea, if you get a chance to get any vintage playground equipment, not a bad move grabbing it.
    So many have been scrapped..
    While first working for the village, one of the parks had a push Merry-go-Round that was missing
    two of the bench seats, and one of the hand railings. It wasn't anywhere near safe. That was the
    first piece I was able to acquire and was the start of a few others.
    It's been an enjoyable Summer hobby..

IMG_1301 (1) (resized).JPGIMG_1301 (1) (resized).JPG
    #14 3 years ago
    Quoted from curiusgeorge:

. Am I correct in assuming this is private land or basically part of your backyard that you built this on? Were you required to get any specific permits to build? It looks like it took a ton of work to get to this point, but it looks great and would be a great place to unwind after a ling day. The retro vibe is fantastic and makes me want to start shopping for used playground equipment, and I don't have kids. Wonder if the city ould let me put a rocket ship slide in my backyard.

Hey Curius, you're the one that got the journey started!
    Yes, this is my property. I have a lower backyard that can't be seen
    from the front, and the park area can't be seen from the backyard,
    so I didn't get permits for anything out back, and most I don't think
    I would of had to..
    So you live in the city limits? I got to know the vintage playground
    equipment a little bit and I believe that's a "Miracle" Rocket Slide.
    Being in the city limits, you probably would have to get a permit for
    that size piece, but to be truthful I'd be a little surprise if you could
    find one. By any chance, do you know where one might be?
    I think maybe it would be just as good if you were able to get a push
    Merry-go-Round, or tall vintage metal slide, and even tall swings are
    getting scarce to see. During gatherings, it seems the Kids like the
    Merry-go-Round and the slide best, but it seems the vintage stuff is
    no longer too easy to find..
    I got lucky and all but one piece came from my hometown. I was able
    to save them from the scrap yard..
    I have a huge disassembled swing set. If you were closer, you could
    have it. I just didn't want it to be scrapped..

#16 3 years ago
    Quoted from curiusgeorge:

There was a rocket slide in a park near where I grew up, so I think I'll drive by a few parks tommorrow that I remember spending some time at. If it's still there, I'll snap some picks.

I can't remember where, but I know there's at least one Rocket Slide still set up. It's
    huge. It has two long slides running off of it. It was in an article on line, and I believe
    it was put up in 1971. It said that that town cherished it. I looked up the municiple
    phone number and talked with the person in charge of grounds (or maybe Mayor, can't
    remember) and let them know that I thought it was great that they kept the Rocket
    Slide and how well they kept it maintained. He said that they never plan on taking it
    down.I'll see if I can run across that article..
    Yea, if that Rocket Slide happens to still be up, I sure would like to see pics. Actually,
    I wouldn't mind seeing pics of any vintage playground equipment that's still in use.
    If you google in "Vintage Playground Equipment, it shows many older pics of equipment
    in the parks and school yards. Some of the playground equipment from the early 1900s
    is unbelievable. Some were very dangerous..
    Edit: I actually think I emailed (not called) the town that has the Rocket Slide. No big deal,
    I just like to be accurate..

#18 3 years ago

Hey Bill, if you did happen to make it over for the February Party, I'll have to pick up a
    small ski doo for you to ride on the pond..
    Actually, I usually work on the games in the Winter, and once the nicer weather comes
    around I start on outdoor projects, however, this year I extended much of the work in
    the game room to finish a ball bowler that needed a good size handful of work both
    mechanically and cosmetically, but did get her saved..

IMG_0181 (resized).JPGIMG_0181 (resized).JPGIMG_0235 (resized).JPGIMG_0235 (resized).JPG
    #20 3 years ago

To continue from last night's post, I knew I still had the blue print (diagram) of the bridge,
    so this morning I took a pic. It's a little dirty, but because I drew it on a construction type
    of paper, it held up okay. It's not drawn at a professional type level, but the scale 1"=1ft.
    is accurate. I put it back in the barn on a shelf where it's been since I believe 1992, but this
    time it's rolled up tighter with a couple rubber bands..

IMG_0290 (resized).JPGIMG_0290 (resized).JPGIMG_0291 (resized).JPGIMG_0291 (resized).JPG
    #21 3 years ago

After welding the bridge's sections together, I had an aluminum flat plate with one end being
    curved up, cut it in half, and used them as skis for the bridge's one end closest to the pond.
    With 1x3 tubing, I had the two skis space, and bolted together, then bolted that to the one
    end of the bridge.
    Then when the heart of Winter came (1992/1993), with a couple pipes for leverage, 3
    Friends and I slid the frame over the frozen pond. Once spring came, my neighbor gave me
    permission to use his land so the crawler could bring 20 bags or so of concrete mix to the other
    side of the pond to built the abutments for the bridges end rails to sit on. Unfortunately I don't
    have any pics of this part of the project, but here's a pic in early spring of the frame in place before
    the 2 center supports were concreted in.
    Also, this morning I took a pic of the skis I made for the one end, but for some reason it won't
    allow for me to load that certain pic. It's states that the file is too big. Any ideas?

IMG_0204 (resized).JPGIMG_0204 (resized).JPG

#22 3 years ago

For the bridges center support abutment, I built a 4'x4'x4' box out of flake board,
    wrapped it (for strength) with a couple of turnbuckle cables, and placed it in the water
    dead center of the bridge. When ordering concrete for the basketball court behind
    the house, I ordered an extra yard, and with 5 gallon buckets and the help of Friends,
    carried the concrete over blanks on the bridge and poured the concrete into the wooden
    box. Note: just before pouring in the concrete, I bucketed out most of the water out
    the box. Of course I had help up on top for the basketball court, and I placed a couple 2.5"
    thick wall galvanize pipe (capped at the bottoms) into the concrete. I kept checking for
    true leveling until stiff. These were place there so later I could telescope 2" pipe inside
    them to put the bridges center support at the proper level. In the first pic (I think it'll
    be first) you can see the 2" support pipe.
    Edit: I might add, that Spring/Summer, I built the floor only halfway, and also the bridge's
    pavilion, and finished the 2nd half flooring the following year.

IMG_0206 (resized).JPGIMG_0206 (resized).JPGIMG_0208 (resized).JPGIMG_0208 (resized).JPGIMG_0205 (1) (resized).JPGIMG_0205 (1) (resized).JPGIMG_0212 (1) (resized).JPGIMG_0212 (1) (resized).JPGIMG_0213 (1) (resized).JPGIMG_0213 (1) (resized).JPGIMG_0209 (1) (resized).JPGIMG_0209 (1) (resized).JPGIMG_0210 (resized).JPGIMG_0210 (resized).JPG

#24 3 years ago
    Quoted from edward472:

Skiing a bridge frame from across frozen pond. That's a first for me. Around here we call that redneck engineering. Also, seems like you got a lot of good friends and neighbors. I don't think my friends and neighbors would pitch in to the degree.

While the frame was on the path, I was thinking how to get it to the other side,
    and I remember when playing cards with a Friend and his Parents is when it just
    dawned on me to slide it over the pond once frozen..
    The Friends and I were younger then. It wouldn't be so easy to round many up now..
    I actually did a few projects' engineering redneckingly. It saved money..

#30 3 years ago
    Quoted from Insane:

remember at my elementary school in the late 70's we had pump merry-go-rounds. they had 2 sets of bars that you pushed and pulled to go faster. It was always great when the principal came out and pushed us though.

I think that Mery-go-Round you mentioned is a Pull-a-Way made by Gametime.
    I've never seen one when a kid, but in late 90s/early 2000s, I was able to acquire
    one that I just got done restoring last year. I'll have more pics of it later in the thread.

Quoted from jaytrem:

They still had this giant slide in Hancock, MA until a couple years ago. Very sad when I saw it was removed.

Hopefully someone grabbed that slide and saved it, but unfortunately like many others in the past,
    a good chance it got scrapped..
    Tonight I'll post some more of the development of the park..

IMG_1349 (resized).JPGIMG_1349 (resized).JPG
    #33 3 years ago

Note: Correction. Not that it matters, but the bridge is 80' long.
    I got 4 - 30' length of rails, and 2 - 20 footers..
    Anyways, now I needed a reason to have a bridge other than walk and end up
    in thick pricker bushes. With much work (by hand), I cleared out a square spot and
    planted seed. In one of the parks on the edge of town, there was a push Merry-go-
    Round that wasn't very safe. It was missing 2 of the bench seats, and one of the hand
    rails. So a fellow worker and I cut the main pole as low as we could, and I was able
    to acquire it. Lengthen the main pole, dug a maybe 3' deep, 3' round hole. To get the
    bags of concrete to the other side of the bridge, I drove the Garden Tractor pulling
    a narrow trailer with maybe 10 bags of concrete mix. The rails didn't buckle.
    By this time it was the heart of Summer. Notice the thick Duck Weed in the pond. Before
    I straighten this out, you literally couldn't see 1 sq. inch of water..
    IMG_0214 (1) (resized).JPGIMG_0214 (1) (resized).JPGIMG_0215 (1) (resized).JPGIMG_0215 (1) (resized).JPG

1 week later
    #34 3 years ago

Next, on the North side of the pond (the side the pravilion is on), there was a huge pile of soil and
    rocks that was left from dozing the farmland east of the pond. I had it bulldozed for fill dirt.. Three or four
    ft. from the pond on the North side was a 6 - 8 ft. drop. Between the large pile of soil and digging out
    the south side of the pond gave enough fill for the north side's lawn. Digging out the south side also prevented
    the duck weed to form any longer. The cement in the plywood form is the 1st stage of the pond's over flow.
    I only have a few pics to share. If anyone is still interested in this thread, let me know, and I'll continue..
    Anyone is also welcome to share any pics or stories of vintage playground equipment they may like to
    comment on..
    btw: wish I had a pic of that pile of soil and rocks before bulldozed. It was huge..
    Edit: I like to add. The pic with the concrete over flow, the bare ground behind the fella (a Friend) was where the
    large pile of soil sat, and was maybe 10-12 ft. high..
    IMG_0217 (1) (resized).JPGIMG_0217 (1) (resized).JPGIMG_0218 (resized).JPGIMG_0218 (resized).JPGIMG_0230 (resized).JPGIMG_0230 (resized).JPGIMG_0231 (1) (resized).JPGIMG_0231 (1) (resized).JPGIMG_0232 (resized).JPGIMG_0232 (resized).JPGIMG_0233 (1) (resized).JPGIMG_0233 (1) (resized).JPGIMG_0242 (resized).JPGIMG_0242 (resized).JPGIMG_0281 (resized).JPGIMG_0281 (resized).JPG

1 month later
    #36 3 years ago

Saturday was the annual August gathering at the pond, so yesterday while
    the area was still looking okay, I snapped a couple pics..

IMG_0325 (resized).JPGIMG_0325 (resized).JPGIMG_0326 (resized).JPGIMG_0326 (resized).JPGIMG_0327 (resized).JPGIMG_0327 (resized).JPG

8 months later
    #37 3 years ago

I haven't added anything here recently, so I thought maybe I'd write about the Global Monkey Bars.
    This is jumping quite few years ahead in 2015 when I saw on Craig List a Monkey Bars that was up for
    a sealed bid. It was 2.5 hours away, but it caught my eye because I've seen ones simular, but not any
    that tucked globally underneath. So I put in a bid, couple weeks later a message was left that I won,
    and I remember on a beautiful September afternoon I traveled and picked it up. It's the only playground
    equipment piece that I restored and set up that didn't come from my home town..
    I did many other projects on the park before this, but not that I took pics of with the digital..
    Oh yes: The plan was to restore it the following Spring, but I jumped right on it and sanded, primed, painted
    dug the circle, and cemented it in in October, then finished it up in Spring/early Summer.

IMG_0616 (resized).JPGIMG_0616 (resized).JPGIMG_0619 (resized).JPGIMG_0619 (resized).JPGIMG_0652 (resized).JPGIMG_0652 (resized).JPGIMG_0661 (resized).JPGIMG_0661 (resized).JPGIMG_0668 (resized).JPGIMG_0668 (resized).JPGIMG_0669 (resized).JPGIMG_0669 (resized).JPG
    #39 3 years ago

Oh! I wasn't sure if there was much interest, so I stopped posting..
    Before long, I'll go back toward the beginning and show some of
    the earlier projects and what pics I may have..
    I did quite a little bit of work to get that Monkeys bars planted.
    Not only refurbishing it, but the only place it would fit decent is
    where the see saws were, so I pulled the two Spring Riding toys,
    pulled the see saws, placed them where the Spring Rider were,
    then was able to prep up for the Monkey Bars.
    Yes, the only other Monkeys Bars I've seen in pics that were
    simularr didn't tuck underneath. The just went straight down to
    the ground..

#42 3 years ago
    Quoted from ReadyPO:

I have been following and enjoy your posts. Looking forward to seeing the other projects.

Oh, sorry. I didn't know.
    I've been double busy lately.
    I'll plan on posting tomorrow night..

#43 2 years ago

The pics I have before I bought a digital camera are limited, but here's one of the projects
    I have a few pics of..
    In the path of the artisian springs was an area that was so muddy, I couldn't do much with
    it, and then when the Village took down a large fence surrounding a Tennis Court, I was able to
    acquire some of the 2" thick wall pipe and figured I'd use it to built the frame work for a cabin.
    I had the top 10" (or so) of the mud removed, dug 10 holes (5 per side) and cemented in metal
    anchor post made from 1.5" pipe that the base of the 2" frame slipped over. By using pipe framing
    (not wood), made rotting from the muddy area not as much of a problem..
    Then used plastic from greenhouses a mile down the road, I was able to put down 4 layers of
    plastic which kept the stone that was placed on the plastic separated from the mud.
    Also next to the cabin I put up a running water bathroom. Once the roofs were on, before putting
    on the walls, I had the cement delivered. At that time figuring a Cement truck couldn't get all the
    way to the cabin, I built a box for the pick up truck and that's how the cement got delivered from
    the Cement Truck to the wheel barrels.
    In one of the pics you're able to see one of the frame work's vertical pipes is missing. That's because
    after reinforcing that section, I cut out that post so that a framed in picture could fold down and
    be used as a table. I'll check if I have pics of that picture that can be lowered..

IMG_0251 (resized).JPGIMG_0251 (resized).JPGIMG_0252 (resized).JPGIMG_0252 (resized).JPGIMG_0260 (resized).JPGIMG_0260 (resized).JPGIMG_0261 (resized).JPGIMG_0261 (resized).JPGIMG_0262 (resized).JPGIMG_0262 (resized).JPGIMG_0274 (resized).JPGIMG_0274 (resized).JPGIMG_0276 (resized).JPGIMG_0276 (resized).JPG
    #45 2 years ago
    Quoted from ReadyPO:

How has the project held up over the years?

The cabin and bathroom held up okay. However, one problem I had was in early Spring
    when there was a melt down and then additional rain, the springs would be running too rapid
    for all the water to drain in the stone, and then run in an 8" plastic pipe that I drilled holes into
    and placed in the stone to carry it all to the pond. The overflowing water would collect mud
    through the springs, and go under the door into the cabin, so almost every Spring I had to
    scrap a thin film of mud off the cabin's cement floor.
    Since the Village was only going to be scrap it, I was able to acquire a cast iron's
    catch basin's frame and grate and made a catch basin ahead of the stone to catch the water
    which then drained in a pipe directly to the pond. That was in 2007. Haven't had that problem since.
    The only other thing is carpenter bees like to drill holes in that rough cut wood. I'm going
    to have to find time this Summer to fill those holes and re-stain it. I didn't have that problem
    until the stain began fading away..
    I took a couple pics today. As you'll see, I made somewhat a coca cola theme cabin.

IMG_0409 (resized).JPGIMG_0409 (resized).JPGIMG_0430 (1) (resized).JPGIMG_0430 (1) (resized).JPG
    #46 2 years ago

Seems I can only send a couple pics per post. These are pics of the part of the wall (inside and out)
    with the coca cola pictures that fold down and can be used as a table.

IMG_0406 (resized).JPGIMG_0406 (resized).JPGIMG_0410 (resized).JPGIMG_0410 (resized).JPG
    #47 2 years ago

Only one pic at a time now (?) The files are too big.
    Any idea how I would change that?

IMG_0411 (resized).JPGIMG_0411 (resized).JPG
    2 weeks later
    #50 2 years ago
    Quoted from OTTOgd:

Awesome thread. Awesome park. Wish you were closer, darnit!

Thanks! If you ever happen to travel a little south in Upstate N.Y.,
    give me a little heads up. You're always welcome.
    I'll post again this weekend.. (T)

#51 2 years ago
    Quoted from ReadyPO:

In the add images box, on the right hand side is a white box where you can change the image resolution down and that should shrink the file. I usually leave mine in medium resolution (Med-res) but you can go to low res, it will look fine on the screen.

Thanks, and I have tried that on low with no luck.
    A couple weeks ago I attempted to load a pic of the catch basin grate with those
    other photos, and it came back saying the file was too large. Today I took a pic
    pretty much in the same position, and that one now loaded. Just a few seconds after taking
    that pic, I took another (showing brush where much of the spring water comes from) and
    it won't allow to load. The file's too large even on low. I'm not sure what's up. Computer/
    digital camera is far from my specialty.
    Anyways, this is the catch basin I put in to direct the flow underground and straight to
    the pond..

IMG_0419 (resized).JPGIMG_0419 (resized).JPG
    1 week later
    #52 2 years ago

Well, although gatherings were down at the pond, Kids (and Adults) used to go up on top behind
    the house and shoot some hoops, so in 2013, I decided to do a little landscaping and developing
    and put a court down below. I've done many projects in the area before this one, but this one I
    have a few pics of..
    My Brother-in-Law use to run Heavy Equipment, so I rented a Mini Excavator for a weekend and
    moved around some soil. Actually quite a bit of soil, because deep at the North end of the Pond
    was another good size pile of dirt and rocks which we cleared out and used for fill where a farmer
    and I cut down 9 very good size trees and he hauled the wood away for the taking. There I put
    additional lawn and a parking area for a couple vehicles which I believe I have pics of for another
    post..

IMG_0477 (1) (resized).JPGIMG_0477 (1) (resized).JPGIMG_0479 (1) (resized).JPGIMG_0479 (1) (resized).JPGIMG_0481 (resized).JPGIMG_0481 (resized).JPGIMG_0482 (1) (resized).JPGIMG_0482 (1) (resized).JPG
    #53 2 years ago

I had to jump quite a few months to find additional pics. The grass on the slope I planted
    yet in 2013, but in 2014, a couple fellas from work, my Neighbor (which is a contractor) and his
    helper (also a Friend I know), laid down the concrete.
    I did the prep work and framing and re-rod the entire pad. I thought I had pics.
    Anyways, the Village skreeded their own top soil (from water leeks, burials, ect.) so I was able
    to get top soil by filling 5 gallon pails on the pick-up. That was a lot of work, and I might be in
    the minority here, but beats going to a gym and/or spend to have delivered.
    The last pic in the rear is where that pile of rocks and fill dirt went. It was part of the swamp
    from the springs before being filled..

IMG_0557 (resized).JPGIMG_0557 (resized).JPGIMG_0560 (resized).JPGIMG_0560 (resized).JPGIMG_0561 (resized).JPGIMG_0561 (resized).JPGIMG_0562 (resized).JPGIMG_0562 (resized).JPGIMG_0563 (resized).JPGIMG_0563 (resized).JPGIMG_0564 (resized).JPGIMG_0564 (resized).JPG

#54 2 years ago

A couple other pics of the area a month later.

IMG_0570 (resized).JPGIMG_0570 (resized).JPGIMG_0571 (resized).JPGIMG_0571 (resized).JPG
    #55 2 years ago

And while I had stone gravel left, I spruced up the walk path to the park..

IMG_0568 (resized).JPGIMG_0568 (resized).JPGIMG_0569 (resized).JPGIMG_0569 (resized).JPG
    #57 2 years ago
    Quoted from JayDee:

I would love to see an aerial view of how expansive your property is. It looks huge

Actually, I only have 3 acres. Except for the brush and trees that divide the
    house area and pond, I pretty much use every sq. in.
    Maybe kinda wish I had more, but along with the machines, 3's plenty to
    keep me busy. Although, I do like outside Summertime projects..

4 weeks later
    #58 2 years ago

Well, I took a good part of one Summer away from the park because my basement hadn't
    any more room to set up machines, so I set out to build a building to set more machines up,
    however, those plans changed. It ended up be storage for more machines, and as you know,
    who knows how they gathered so quickly.
    Anyways, it's a pretty good story in itself how I got the 3" pipe and angle iron, but I was able
    to get much fill dirt when the town trenched the ditches. I then dug holes to the virgin soil to
    cement in the anchor post.

IMG_0219 (resized).JPGIMG_0219 (resized).JPGIMG_0220 (resized).JPGIMG_0220 (resized).JPGIMG_0222 (resized).JPGIMG_0222 (resized).JPG

#59 2 years ago

I then welded up the 3" pipe and angle to make the A frames, and at work, they
    were tossing a couple electric winches, so I made a frame for one, bolted the frame
    to the bed of the truck (that was a hell of a little Ram 50), and used it to host the A
    frames onto the anchor post.

IMG_0223 (1) (resized).JPGIMG_0223 (1) (resized).JPGIMG_0224 (resized).JPGIMG_0224 (resized).JPGIMG_0225 (1) (resized).JPGIMG_0225 (1) (resized).JPG
    #60 2 years ago

And with 2x4s, sheeting, and T-11, I finished it off from there.
    As you see, this is before I had the digital camera. I come in late
    when it comes to evolution..
    I found these pics in the mix, but next time will be another project
    from the park..

IMG_0226 (resized).JPGIMG_0226 (resized).JPGIMG_0227 (1) (resized).JPGIMG_0227 (1) (resized).JPGIMG_0228 (resized).JPGIMG_0228 (resized).JPGIMG_0229 (1) (resized).JPGIMG_0229 (1) (resized).JPG
    1 month later
    #61 2 years ago

Well, one project that I have a few pics of is the octagon pravillion.
    Maybe 12 or 13 years back, I traded a small ball bowler to a Vendor
    for a 3 horse Merry-go-Round Kiddie Ride. I just stashed it in the regular
    pravillion for a couple years, then decided to clear out an area and build
    a circular type structure. This was before I had a compact. It was quite
    a little bit of work clearing it out. I had the digital by then, but couldn't
    find many pics during construction, but do have a few. This is the only pic
    I could fined showing the merry-go-Round before it was restored, and still
    at the regular pravilion while getting the pravillion set up for concrete..

IMG_0278 (resized).JPGIMG_0278 (resized).JPG
    #62 2 years ago

Now having a digital camera, I would think I would have taken pics before I got this far with the project, but I guess not. Once I got started, I must have been busy and didn't give it a thought..

IMG_0233 (resized).JPGIMG_0233 (resized).JPGIMG_0234 (1) (resized).JPGIMG_0234 (1) (resized).JPGIMG_0235 (1) (resized).JPGIMG_0235 (1) (resized).JPG
    #63 2 years ago

I actually built another pravillion for the other 2 smaller Kiddie Rides, but this
    one keeps them out of the sun the best, so I now keep the 3 together..

IMG_0887 (resized).JPGIMG_0887 (resized).JPG
    #65 2 years ago

Nothing particularly special, but found one more pic..

++++++

+

IMG_0237 (resized).JPGIMG_0237 (resized).JPG
    #66 2 years ago
    Quoted from edward472:This just keep getting cooler

Haha, Thanks. Just wish I took more pics throughout the projects to show..

1 month later
    #67 2 years ago

It's been a little while since I posted, so I thought I'd show another little project..
    This one's a small one but happy I was able to acquire it..
    I had my eye on this decaying hidden bench swing at the old abandon Psychic Center,
    and got to know one of the main maintainence workers (other parts of the facility is
    still active, Community College, BOCES, ect.) and with his help, I was able to get this
    vintage and pretty unique bench swing..
    I dug the holes, braced it up, cemented it, and got her painted up throughout the week,
    and on Saturday I threw the boards on, and that Saturday night an old Buddy from pool
    league came over, shot a few games, and had a few sodas (quite a few), so he had to stay
    the night and the next morning he was the first to check out the swing..

IMG_0600 (resized).JPGIMG_0600 (resized).JPGIMG_0601 (resized).JPGIMG_0601 (resized).JPGIMG_0605 (resized).JPGIMG_0605 (resized).JPGIMG_0606 (resized).JPGIMG_0606 (resized).JPG
    #71 2 years ago
    Quoted from ReadyPO:

I see you have stayed with the same paint scheme as the rest of the park - red and black. Those colors have a significance or just what you started out with years ago?

Yup, just what I started with..
    The push Merry-go-Round was the first piece I was able to get and restore, and at WalMart
    saw a Rustoleum color called Redwood, and thought it would go good with black and that's
    what I stayed with throughout the years..

IMG_1302 (1) (resized).JPGIMG_1302 (1) (resized).JPG
    #72 2 years ago
    Quoted from hawkmoon:

What R U gonnado with all that stuff when the Kids are all grown up??

Actually 2 or 3 times a year there's good size gatherings at the pond and there's always
    Kids at the age that love the paddle boats and playgound equipment.
    Saturday Oct. 2nd there's a Summer closing party, and there will be quite a few kids
    that'll be excersizing the equipment..

#73 2 years ago
    Quoted from edward472:

Very cool that you are still adding to the park. Those must have been some very strong sodas.

I'm running out of room for some big projects, but still adding small ones.
    Haha. Yes, when friends are over, many times it's more than a 12 pack night.

1 week later
    #74 2 years ago

Not one of the projects this time, but yesterday Friends and I had a little closing
    Summer (or seasonal) gathering and what a superb early Fall day it was..
    Mid 70s with plenty of sunshine. There wasn't much wind, but enough to spread
    that cooker's smoke over the pond..

IMG_0734 (resized).JPGIMG_0734 (resized).JPGIMG_0735 (resized).JPGIMG_0735 (resized).JPG

2 months later
    #75 2 years ago

It's been a little while since I posted here, so here's a small project I put up at the pond..
    Years back I would travel through this small town and say to myself I'd really like to
    have one of those (there were two) umbrellas that was set up at their McDonalds.
    Speed forward 12-15 years, and out of a stroke of luck (and pleasantly blindsided), the
    framework of one of those two umbrellas found me..
    Fall was around the corner, so I left it down below and the following year I cleaned it up,
    set the anchor, a long time mechanic buddy and I set it in place with his tow truck hoist,
    I painted it up, and put on the new decorative top I bought for her.
    I crank it up for outings, then let it down at rest when not in use..
    It's 20ft. diameter and has been a great addition to the park during gatherings..

IMG_1512 (1) (resized).JPGIMG_1512 (1) (resized).JPGIMG_1515 (1) - Copy (resized).JPGIMG_1515 (1) - Copy (resized).JPGIMG_1513 (1) - Copy (resized).JPGIMG_1513 (1) - Copy (resized).JPGIMG_1526 (1) (resized).JPGIMG_1526 (1) (resized).JPGIMG_1527 (resized).JPGIMG_1527 (resized).JPGIMG_0541 (resized).JPGIMG_0541 (resized).JPG
    #77 2 years ago
    Quoted from poppapin:

Nice! Any fish in the pond?

Yes. I'm not much of a fisherman, but I've been told it's Sunfish, Bluegill,
    and Large Mouth Bass in the pond..
    Before I had the fountain, a neighbor's Coya fish grew to large for his
    small indoor pond, so he brought them to my pond. A few years later there
    was a very bad drought, and many of the fish had died including the Coya.
    Since I had the fountain, there's been a drought that was just as bad, and
    there was no evidence of any fish lost. The fountain also helps a great deal
    keeping the algea under control..

#79 2 years ago
    Quoted from LateCenturyMods:

It was there in 2017 and gone in later Street View images, which explains why I haven't been able to find it since then.

Yes, it's too bad. Vintage Playground equipment has been being scraped for decades.
    You're lucky if you stumble upon any..
    However, the next small town over has a park with a few old pieces still in use.
    It's on the main highway, but deep in on the lot. I only noticed it last year and took
    some pics, but I'm only able to load one. It said that the files are too large when I
    try loading. I wonder if there's a way they can be minimized from this laptop?

IMG_0718.JPGIMG_0718.JPG
    #81 2 years ago
    Quoted from LateCenturyMods:

That one has a 1970s look about it, too. Is that fiberglass, or concrete?

It's concrete, and yes, looks 70s. The other pieces there are deeper in and look to be
    from the 60s. If I can't minimize the file size with the pics I have, the next time I'm
    down that way, I'll try taking them again..

#83 2 years ago
    Quoted from latenite04:In the box where you select the images to post there should be a drop down where you can specify if it is full size or reduced. Otherwise you would have to open them with a photo editor and resize them to be smaller then save.

Yes, I tried every selection from that box, and got the same result..
    Ems interest me, but this laptop doesn't, thus, I'm not so good with it..
    There's other pics I can't load, and the thing is, I take them with the
    same camera and never change the camera's adjustments..
    If you're ever in the Newark area and like EMs, you're welcome to stop
    in. I have quite a few set up and then maybe you can show me a trick
    with this laptop..
    Oh yes. And if you happen to be thirsty, the fridge is never empty..

#85 2 years ago
    Quoted from Onevox:

My friend had a small two person pump and spin thing in his backyard called, I think, a Whirly-gig. Sort of like this.

Yes. I'm not sure on the manufacturer(s), but residential pump merry-go-rounds
    were made..
    My last large playground equipment piece that I restored operated from the same
    idea as this, but it's much larger and commercial grade..
    I'll have the next post project being this Merry-go-Round..

2 months later
    #86 2 years ago

It's been a while since I posted here, so I thought I'd write about the
    Pull-a-Way Merry-go-Round. It's made by Game Time which was formed
    in 1929 and is still manufacturing playground equipment. The Pull-a-Way
    was one of their very first pieces they designed..
    This was (more less) hidden for years behind a shut down institution.
    Years back I was lucky enough to acquire it, and after having it parked to
    the side for years, in the Fall of 2017, I finally placed it on a trailer for
    restoration the following Summer..

IMG_1141 (resized).JPGIMG_1141 (resized).JPG
    #87 2 years ago

That following Summer I sand blasted it, placed it back on the trailer,
    and took a pic with it primed (and partially painted)..

IMG_1334 (1) (resized).JPGIMG_1334 (1) (resized).JPGIMG_1344 (resized).JPGIMG_1344 (resized).JPG

#88 2 years ago

Well, it appears a month of photos are hidden away someplace showing other
    steps of the project along with the forming of the circular concrete pad, so I now
    have to jump to where the Pull-a-Way is sitting on the pad.

IMG_1399 (1) (resized).JPGIMG_1399 (1) (resized).JPG
    #89 2 years ago

The following Spring I put on the 8 bench seats.
    I think there's a video on youtube someone took with it in action.
    I'll check if I can find it..

IMG_1511 (resized).JPGIMG_1511 (resized).JPG
    #90 2 years ago

This was during a gathering on a 4th of July weekend.
    It's a little blurring, but you can see she can hold quite
    a few people..

#92 2 years ago
    Quoted from jaytrem:

how many RPMs can you get that thing up to?

I have to be truthful. That thing can be a pretty good workout.
    I've never timed the RPMs, but when you're on it and look outward
    (like long distance), everything is blurry. People have gotten off of
    it and staggeringly fell to the ground..
    Most grown ups don't like going too fast, but for me, that's one part
    that hasn't yet grown up.
    It's my favorite playground equipment I restored. I'm very pleased to
    have it. I've never seen one when growing up..

3 weeks later
    #94 2 years ago
    Quoted from TheCnyPinGuy:

Just will ever get on the wheel again (oh boy, still feeling it)

Haha. The Merry-go-Round. Yea. I was a little worried about your drive home..

1 month later
    #95 1 year ago

Not from the Development of the Vintage Park, but from a park in a
    neighboring town. It's on Main St. but kinda deep in and it was just last
    year when I surprising spotted it still being in use, and being so close by to
    where I get a hair cut, a couple weeks ago I took a few pics..

IMG_0888 (resized).JPGIMG_0888 (resized).JPGIMG_0889 (resized).JPGIMG_0889 (resized).JPGIMG_0890 (resized).JPGIMG_0890 (resized).JPGIMG_0891 (resized).JPGIMG_0891 (resized).JPGIMG_0892 (resized).JPGIMG_0892 (resized).JPGIMG_0893 (resized).JPGIMG_0893 (resized).JPGIMG_0894 (resized).JPGIMG_0894 (resized).JPG
    #99 1 year ago
    Quoted from edward472:

I saw this today and thought the grill would go very well with the rest of your playground equipment.

I don't remember hearing about American Playground Device Company, so I had to look
    them up and it seems they opened in the early 30s, and appears they're still manufacturing
    playground equipment. Maybe even still from their original facility..
    I already have 3 park grills from the 50s/60s, but if I had the American Playground, I could
    easily find a nice spot to park it. That one looks to be maybe from the 40s..
    One of the park grills I was able to get is a mobile grill. After a little fabricating, she's solid
    and very usable..

IMG_0922 (resized).JPGIMG_0922 (resized).JPG
    #100 1 year ago
    Quoted from rotordave:

Whether it is a genuine USA built one, or the locals ripped off the design (probably likely), I’m unsure. Evidently it was constructed in 1967.

I'd maybe think the Rocket has a good chance of being USA made.
    Miracle Playground Equipment (which formed in 1927 and still going
    today) was known for their Rocket Slides in the 60s and 70s.
    Unlike so many others, it's nice your Community didn't scrap that
    vintage piece of history..

7 months later
    #101 1 year ago

It's been a little while since I posted here, so I thought I'd show another project
    I did down at the pond area.
    I needed a spot to park a couple Kiddie Rides, so I asked a Friend if he thought an
    umbrella type structure would look alright for the rides, and he said sure. Why not?..
    So I picked up a couple I Beams from the scrape yard, welded them together, dug
    and formed a hole, and cemented it in..
    I'll write and show in segments. Appearantly the pic files are to big to send too many
    at one time..

IMG_0610 (resized).JPGIMG_0610 (resized).JPGIMG_0611 (resized).JPGIMG_0611 (resized).JPGIMG_0612 (resized).JPGIMG_0612 (resized).JPG

#102 1 year ago

Next, between my compact tractor and I, I got some of the metal
    supports for the roof attached.
    At this time I put in a sealed bid for a Global Monkey bars, and won,
    so I started on that project, and left this project until the following Spring..

IMG_0613 (resized).JPGIMG_0613 (resized).JPGIMG_0614 (resized).JPGIMG_0614 (resized).JPG
    #103 1 year ago

Here we are the following Spring in May, and have the roof's
    wood studs all on.

IMG_0654 (resized).JPGIMG_0654 (resized).JPGIMG_0655 (resized).JPGIMG_0655 (resized).JPGIMG_0656 (resized).JPGIMG_0656 (resized).JPG
    #104 1 year ago

Looks like I went quite a little ways before taking any other pics.
    The roof's sheeting and shingles are all on..

IMG_0664 (resized).JPGIMG_0664 (resized).JPGIMG_0666 (resized).JPGIMG_0666 (resized).JPG
    #105 1 year ago

Next, I formed for the cement.

IMG_0671 (resized).JPGIMG_0671 (resized).JPGIMG_0672 (resized).JPGIMG_0672 (resized).JPGIMG_0674 (resized).JPGIMG_0674 (resized).JPGIMG_0675 (resized).JPGIMG_0675 (resized).JPG
    #106 1 year ago

Here's 3 Fellas I worked with that helped me rake and lay the
    cement. I thought maybe there would be some uphill wheel
    barreling, but the Cement Truck was able to climb up there,
    which was a huge plus..
    Oh yes, I wrapped the I beam before ordering the cement, but
    didn't take any pics of that process..

IMG_0701 (resized).JPGIMG_0701 (resized).JPG

#107 1 year ago

And the 2 kiddie Rides under their roof.
    I now keep those 2 rides together with the 3 Horse Merry-go-Round.
    The Merry-go-Round's pravillion blocks much more of the sun.
    I now have a bench swing in this one. It's where I drink my nice Spring
    and Summer days early morning coffee..

IMG_0712 (resized).JPGIMG_0712 (resized).JPG
    #108 1 year ago

And where the 2 Kiddie Rides are now.
    I can't find a pic with the bench swing,
    so I guess that's it for this project..

IMG_0887 (resized).JPGIMG_0887 (resized).JPG

#111 1 year ago
    Quoted from bruinfan:

Shade is nice.

Yes. Although I sealed them, I didn't want to take chances of
    them fading and pealing. It happened to the 3 horses on the
    Merry-go-Round the first time I painted them. I sealed them the
    2nd time..

#112 1 year ago
    Quoted from TheCnyPinGuy:

Please keep updating your progress

Hey Jim. I don't have much more room for any large projects,
    but I'm sure I'll be doing some smaller ones. I'll report them here..

3 weeks later
    #115 1 year ago
    Quoted from OTTOgd:

One of the most fun parts of my local Huron Park,

Although the zip line and wooden jungle gym was torn down, does
    the park still have some vintage playground equipment? If so, I'd
    like to see some pics sometime.
    Yea, the Zip Line I might have to look into. It would absolutely get
    used. There's one party ever year where half are Kids. They'd love it,
    and I'm sure me too..

#116 1 year ago
    Quoted from jaytrem:

I passed one of those extra tall stainless steel slides in South Dakota. Don't come across those to often anymore.

South Dakota! I wouldn't have mind seen a pic of that.
    It was in a public area?
    I still have the Loop the Loop in the upper garage.
    You know what size legs it suppose to take. I thought
    28.5" which may be accurate, but it puts it a couple
    inches lower than the Gottlieb pins..

3 months later
    #118 10 months ago

Not a big project this time, but certainly a little time consuming.
    Last year a tree had to come down, and I asked a Friend if he thought welding chain links together
    and displaying a flag inside and perching it up on the high trunk of the tree would long okay, and he
    immediately said Yes! So last Fall I cut it around 15 ft. up. Last month I made the base and the chain
    linked pole, and today I wire tied in the flag and Patronized the pond.
    It is pretty side heavy, but with the help of the compact tractor, it went up fairly easy..

IMG_1330 (resized).JPGIMG_1330 (resized).JPGIMG_1332 (resized).JPGIMG_1332 (resized).JPGIMG_1333 (resized).JPGIMG_1333 (resized).JPG

3 weeks later
    #120 9 months ago

Because it would be 10 years that my Neighbor's husband past away (boating accident),
    last May she asked if it would be okay to have a memorial gathering down at the pond
    on July 8th. It turned out to be a beautiful day and a nice gathering..

IMG_1343 (resized).JPGIMG_1343 (resized).JPGIMG_1342 (resized).JPGIMG_1342 (resized).JPG
    #122 9 months ago
    Quoted from ReadyPO:

Also, a park like yours needs to have kids using it.

Yes. All the playground equipment got used throughout the day, along with much paddle boating and swimming.
    Kids had a great time. Campfire, marsh mellows, and smorgs at night..

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider mopar.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/-the-development-of-a-vintage-park?tu=mopar and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.