Surely, I had other projects going on up above at the house, but next for the pond was fabricating
the bridge. A Friend living in the sticks had a run down house trailer out back on his property. We burned
it down and after stripping the wood off of the beams, between a torch and a grinder, I was able to get
sections of four 20 ft. beams, and two 30 ft. beams. Because the beams doubled up at the axles, got an extra
20 ft. beam off of each side, and that's how I was able to get 140 ft. worth of beam. I knew the bridge had to be
70 ft., and just got lucky that it came out to exactly 140 ft. of beam I was able to get from the trailer..
So I borrowed a flat bed trailer, and brought the sections of beam to the Red Barn which was pretty much
empty at the time. With jigs that I rigged up, I built a 30' section of the bridge, then on top of that I built
a 20' section, then on that another 20' section so each lower section was more less a tamplet for the
section being built on top of it. That made certain that each section was the exact same width.
I took an 80" or so long paper and made a blue print where 1"=1 ft.
This way I could precisely place each cross beam (which I use 2" thick wall pipe), and 2" pipe used for
the floor crossovers, and not have them interfere with each other along with the upcoming 1" vertical piping
used for the verticals for the hand railings. Wish I had pics of the sections while in the barn, but I didn't
Then in Fall, with the help of 7 working buddies (we had a few brews after), the eight of us carried
and lined up the sections on the path going down to the pond. I had (still have) a 50' and 150' welding
extensions for the stick welder and welded up the 3 sections while they were on the stoned path.
Sorry I had to write so much, but that's because of the lack of pics to do the explaining.
If anyone is still interested, I'll write up a couple more post tomorrow..
Edit: In the pic, I used U channels every 4 ft. that came from the trailer. Later, for extra strength, I added
2" cross pipe in between each of the U channels. I got the pipe for free from old torn down greenhouses.
I can't always remember exactly how I did things until I take another look at the pics after posting when
Edit: I have to edit again. The 2" crossover pipe is already welded. I alternated the U channel and pipe
2 to 1. I now remember not having enough U channel so I used the pipe also by using 2 U channels
then 1 pipe. I later put the crossover pipe for the floor boards every two ft..
IMG_0198 (resized).JPGIMG_0199 (1) (resized).JPG