Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 122 posts
  • 20 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 9 months ago by Mopar
  • Topic is favorited by 17 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_1342 (resized).JPG
    IMG_1343 (resized).JPG
    IMG_1333 (resized).JPG
    IMG_1332 (resized).JPG
    IMG_1330 (resized).JPG
    IMG_0887 (resized).JPG
    IMG_0712 (resized).JPG
    IMG_0701 (resized).JPG
    IMG_0675 (resized).JPG
    IMG_0671 (resized).JPG
    IMG_0674 (resized).JPG
    IMG_0672 (resized).JPG
    IMG_0664 (resized).JPG
    IMG_0666 (resized).JPG
    IMG_0656 (resized).JPG
    IMG_0655 (resized).JPG
    There are 122 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 3.
    #51 2 years ago
    Quoted from ReadyPO:

In the add images box, on the right hand side is a white box where you can change the image resolution down and that should shrink the file. I usually leave mine in medium resolution (Med-res) but you can go to low res, it will look fine on the screen.

Thanks, and I have tried that on low with no luck.
    A couple weeks ago I attempted to load a pic of the catch basin grate with those
    other photos, and it came back saying the file was too large. Today I took a pic
    pretty much in the same position, and that one now loaded. Just a few seconds after taking
    that pic, I took another (showing brush where much of the spring water comes from) and
    it won't allow to load. The file's too large even on low. I'm not sure what's up. Computer/
    digital camera is far from my specialty.
    Anyways, this is the catch basin I put in to direct the flow underground and straight to
    the pond..

IMG_0419 (resized).JPGIMG_0419 (resized).JPG
    1 week later
    #52 2 years ago

Well, although gatherings were down at the pond, Kids (and Adults) used to go up on top behind
    the house and shoot some hoops, so in 2013, I decided to do a little landscaping and developing
    and put a court down below. I've done many projects in the area before this one, but this one I
    have a few pics of..
    My Brother-in-Law use to run Heavy Equipment, so I rented a Mini Excavator for a weekend and
    moved around some soil. Actually quite a bit of soil, because deep at the North end of the Pond
    was another good size pile of dirt and rocks which we cleared out and used for fill where a farmer
    and I cut down 9 very good size trees and he hauled the wood away for the taking. There I put
    additional lawn and a parking area for a couple vehicles which I believe I have pics of for another
    post..

IMG_0477 (1) (resized).JPGIMG_0477 (1) (resized).JPGIMG_0479 (1) (resized).JPGIMG_0479 (1) (resized).JPGIMG_0481 (resized).JPGIMG_0481 (resized).JPGIMG_0482 (1) (resized).JPGIMG_0482 (1) (resized).JPG
    #53 2 years ago

I had to jump quite a few months to find additional pics. The grass on the slope I planted
    yet in 2013, but in 2014, a couple fellas from work, my Neighbor (which is a contractor) and his
    helper (also a Friend I know), laid down the concrete.
    I did the prep work and framing and re-rod the entire pad. I thought I had pics.
    Anyways, the Village skreeded their own top soil (from water leeks, burials, ect.) so I was able
    to get top soil by filling 5 gallon pails on the pick-up. That was a lot of work, and I might be in
    the minority here, but beats going to a gym and/or spend to have delivered.
    The last pic in the rear is where that pile of rocks and fill dirt went. It was part of the swamp
    from the springs before being filled..

IMG_0557 (resized).JPGIMG_0557 (resized).JPGIMG_0560 (resized).JPGIMG_0560 (resized).JPGIMG_0561 (resized).JPGIMG_0561 (resized).JPGIMG_0562 (resized).JPGIMG_0562 (resized).JPGIMG_0563 (resized).JPGIMG_0563 (resized).JPGIMG_0564 (resized).JPGIMG_0564 (resized).JPG

#54 2 years ago

A couple other pics of the area a month later.

IMG_0570 (resized).JPGIMG_0570 (resized).JPGIMG_0571 (resized).JPGIMG_0571 (resized).JPG
    #55 2 years ago

And while I had stone gravel left, I spruced up the walk path to the park..

IMG_0568 (resized).JPGIMG_0568 (resized).JPGIMG_0569 (resized).JPGIMG_0569 (resized).JPG
    #56 2 years ago

I would love to see an aerial view of how expansive your property is. It looks huge

#57 2 years ago
    Quoted from JayDee:

I would love to see an aerial view of how expansive your property is. It looks huge

Actually, I only have 3 acres. Except for the brush and trees that divide the
    house area and pond, I pretty much use every sq. in.
    Maybe kinda wish I had more, but along with the machines, 3's plenty to
    keep me busy. Although, I do like outside Summertime projects..

4 weeks later
    #58 2 years ago

Well, I took a good part of one Summer away from the park because my basement hadn't
    any more room to set up machines, so I set out to build a building to set more machines up,
    however, those plans changed. It ended up be storage for more machines, and as you know,
    who knows how they gathered so quickly.
    Anyways, it's a pretty good story in itself how I got the 3" pipe and angle iron, but I was able
    to get much fill dirt when the town trenched the ditches. I then dug holes to the virgin soil to
    cement in the anchor post.

IMG_0219 (resized).JPGIMG_0219 (resized).JPGIMG_0220 (resized).JPGIMG_0220 (resized).JPGIMG_0222 (resized).JPGIMG_0222 (resized).JPG

#59 2 years ago

I then welded up the 3" pipe and angle to make the A frames, and at work, they
    were tossing a couple electric winches, so I made a frame for one, bolted the frame
    to the bed of the truck (that was a hell of a little Ram 50), and used it to host the A
    frames onto the anchor post.

IMG_0223 (1) (resized).JPGIMG_0223 (1) (resized).JPGIMG_0224 (resized).JPGIMG_0224 (resized).JPGIMG_0225 (1) (resized).JPGIMG_0225 (1) (resized).JPG
    #60 2 years ago

And with 2x4s, sheeting, and T-11, I finished it off from there.
    As you see, this is before I had the digital camera. I come in late
    when it comes to evolution..
    I found these pics in the mix, but next time will be another project
    from the park..

IMG_0226 (resized).JPGIMG_0226 (resized).JPGIMG_0227 (1) (resized).JPGIMG_0227 (1) (resized).JPGIMG_0228 (resized).JPGIMG_0228 (resized).JPGIMG_0229 (1) (resized).JPGIMG_0229 (1) (resized).JPG
    1 month later
    #61 2 years ago

Well, one project that I have a few pics of is the octagon pravillion.
    Maybe 12 or 13 years back, I traded a small ball bowler to a Vendor
    for a 3 horse Merry-go-Round Kiddie Ride. I just stashed it in the regular
    pravillion for a couple years, then decided to clear out an area and build
    a circular type structure. This was before I had a compact. It was quite
    a little bit of work clearing it out. I had the digital by then, but couldn't
    find many pics during construction, but do have a few. This is the only pic
    I could fined showing the merry-go-Round before it was restored, and still
    at the regular pravilion while getting the pravillion set up for concrete..

IMG_0278 (resized).JPGIMG_0278 (resized).JPG
    #62 2 years ago

Now having a digital camera, I would think I would have taken pics before I got this far with the project, but I guess not. Once I got started, I must have been busy and didn't give it a thought..

IMG_0233 (resized).JPGIMG_0233 (resized).JPGIMG_0234 (1) (resized).JPGIMG_0234 (1) (resized).JPGIMG_0235 (1) (resized).JPGIMG_0235 (1) (resized).JPG
    #63 2 years ago

I actually built another pravillion for the other 2 smaller Kiddie Rides, but this
    one keeps them out of the sun the best, so I now keep the 3 together..

IMG_0887 (resized).JPGIMG_0887 (resized).JPG
    #64 2 years ago

This just keep getting cooler

#65 2 years ago

Nothing particularly special, but found one more pic..

++++++

+

IMG_0237 (resized).JPGIMG_0237 (resized).JPG
    #66 2 years ago
    Quoted from edward472:This just keep getting cooler

Haha, Thanks. Just wish I took more pics throughout the projects to show..

1 month later
    #67 2 years ago

It's been a little while since I posted, so I thought I'd show another little project..
    This one's a small one but happy I was able to acquire it..
    I had my eye on this decaying hidden bench swing at the old abandon Psychic Center,
    and got to know one of the main maintainence workers (other parts of the facility is
    still active, Community College, BOCES, ect.) and with his help, I was able to get this
    vintage and pretty unique bench swing..
    I dug the holes, braced it up, cemented it, and got her painted up throughout the week,
    and on Saturday I threw the boards on, and that Saturday night an old Buddy from pool
    league came over, shot a few games, and had a few sodas (quite a few), so he had to stay
    the night and the next morning he was the first to check out the swing..

IMG_0600 (resized).JPGIMG_0600 (resized).JPGIMG_0601 (resized).JPGIMG_0601 (resized).JPGIMG_0605 (resized).JPGIMG_0605 (resized).JPGIMG_0606 (resized).JPGIMG_0606 (resized).JPG
    #68 2 years ago
    Quoted from Mopar:

and got her painted up throughout the week,
    and on Saturday I threw the boards on

I see you have stayed with the same paint scheme as the rest of the park - red and black. Those colors have a significance or just what you started out with years ago?

#69 2 years ago

What R U gonnado with all that stuff when the Kids are all grown up??

#70 2 years ago
    Quoted from Mopar:

It's been a little while since I posted, so I thought I'd show another little project..
    This one's a small one but happy I was able to acquire it..
    I had my eye on this decaying hidden bench swing at the old abandon Psychic Center,
    and got to know one of the main maintainence workers (other parts of the facility is
    still active, Community College, BOCES, ect.) and with his help, I was able to get this
    vintage and pretty unique bench swing..
    I dug the holes, braced it up, cemented it, and got her painted up throughout the week,
    and on Saturday I threw the boards on, and that Saturday night an old Buddy from pool
    league came over, shot a few games, and had a few sodas (quite a few), so he had to stay
    the night and the next morning he was the first to check out the swing..
    [quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

Very cool that you are still adding to the park. Those must have been some very strong sodas.

#71 2 years ago
    Quoted from ReadyPO:

I see you have stayed with the same paint scheme as the rest of the park - red and black. Those colors have a significance or just what you started out with years ago?

Yup, just what I started with..
    The push Merry-go-Round was the first piece I was able to get and restore, and at WalMart
    saw a Rustoleum color called Redwood, and thought it would go good with black and that's
    what I stayed with throughout the years..

IMG_1302 (1) (resized).JPGIMG_1302 (1) (resized).JPG
    #72 2 years ago
    Quoted from hawkmoon:

What R U gonnado with all that stuff when the Kids are all grown up??

Actually 2 or 3 times a year there's good size gatherings at the pond and there's always
    Kids at the age that love the paddle boats and playgound equipment.
    Saturday Oct. 2nd there's a Summer closing party, and there will be quite a few kids
    that'll be excersizing the equipment..

#73 2 years ago
    Quoted from edward472:

Very cool that you are still adding to the park. Those must have been some very strong sodas.

I'm running out of room for some big projects, but still adding small ones.
    Haha. Yes, when friends are over, many times it's more than a 12 pack night.

1 week later
    #74 2 years ago

Not one of the projects this time, but yesterday Friends and I had a little closing
    Summer (or seasonal) gathering and what a superb early Fall day it was..
    Mid 70s with plenty of sunshine. There wasn't much wind, but enough to spread
    that cooker's smoke over the pond..

IMG_0734 (resized).JPGIMG_0734 (resized).JPGIMG_0735 (resized).JPGIMG_0735 (resized).JPG

2 months later
    #75 2 years ago

It's been a little while since I posted here, so here's a small project I put up at the pond..
    Years back I would travel through this small town and say to myself I'd really like to
    have one of those (there were two) umbrellas that was set up at their McDonalds.
    Speed forward 12-15 years, and out of a stroke of luck (and pleasantly blindsided), the
    framework of one of those two umbrellas found me..
    Fall was around the corner, so I left it down below and the following year I cleaned it up,
    set the anchor, a long time mechanic buddy and I set it in place with his tow truck hoist,
    I painted it up, and put on the new decorative top I bought for her.
    I crank it up for outings, then let it down at rest when not in use..
    It's 20ft. diameter and has been a great addition to the park during gatherings..

IMG_1512 (1) (resized).JPGIMG_1512 (1) (resized).JPGIMG_1515 (1) - Copy (resized).JPGIMG_1515 (1) - Copy (resized).JPGIMG_1513 (1) - Copy (resized).JPGIMG_1513 (1) - Copy (resized).JPGIMG_1526 (1) (resized).JPGIMG_1526 (1) (resized).JPGIMG_1527 (resized).JPGIMG_1527 (resized).JPGIMG_0541 (resized).JPGIMG_0541 (resized).JPG
    #76 2 years ago

Nice! Any fish in the pond?

#77 2 years ago
    Quoted from poppapin:

Nice! Any fish in the pond?

Yes. I'm not much of a fisherman, but I've been told it's Sunfish, Bluegill,
    and Large Mouth Bass in the pond..
    Before I had the fountain, a neighbor's Coya fish grew to large for his
    small indoor pond, so he brought them to my pond. A few years later there
    was a very bad drought, and many of the fish had died including the Coya.
    Since I had the fountain, there's been a drought that was just as bad, and
    there was no evidence of any fish lost. The fountain also helps a great deal
    keeping the algea under control..

#78 2 years ago

Interesting project you've got going there.

Since you mentioned the rocket ship, I went looking for one that has been here as long as I can remember; I visited it when I was small in the 1970s. Found it here:

https://www.google.com/maps/@29.814577,-95.5539542,3a,50.6y,212.75h,87.16t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sSoBLPKG1qQFYhnEUYTovLg!2e0!7i13312!8i6656?hl=en

It was there in 2017 and gone in later Street View images, which explains why I haven't been able to find it since then. (Screenshot attached so you don't have to chase the link.)

Rocket slide playground equipment (resized).jpgRocket slide playground equipment (resized).jpg
    #79 2 years ago
    Quoted from LateCenturyMods:

It was there in 2017 and gone in later Street View images, which explains why I haven't been able to find it since then.

Yes, it's too bad. Vintage Playground equipment has been being scraped for decades.
    You're lucky if you stumble upon any..
    However, the next small town over has a park with a few old pieces still in use.
    It's on the main highway, but deep in on the lot. I only noticed it last year and took
    some pics, but I'm only able to load one. It said that the files are too large when I
    try loading. I wonder if there's a way they can be minimized from this laptop?

IMG_0718.JPGIMG_0718.JPG
    #80 2 years ago

That one has a 1970s look about it, too. Is that fiberglass, or concrete?

#81 2 years ago
    Quoted from LateCenturyMods:

That one has a 1970s look about it, too. Is that fiberglass, or concrete?

It's concrete, and yes, looks 70s. The other pieces there are deeper in and look to be
    from the 60s. If I can't minimize the file size with the pics I have, the next time I'm
    down that way, I'll try taking them again..

#82 2 years ago
    Quoted from Mopar:

I wonder if there's a way they can be minimized from this laptop?

Your property looks great. The lodge and playground equipment remind me of many family picnics by Lake Ontario.

In the box where you select the images to post there should be a drop down where you can specify if it is full size or reduced. Otherwise you would have to open them with a photo editor and resize them to be smaller then save.
    uploadsize (resized).pnguploadsize (resized).png

#83 2 years ago
    Quoted from latenite04:In the box where you select the images to post there should be a drop down where you can specify if it is full size or reduced. Otherwise you would have to open them with a photo editor and resize them to be smaller then save.

Yes, I tried every selection from that box, and got the same result..
    Ems interest me, but this laptop doesn't, thus, I'm not so good with it..
    There's other pics I can't load, and the thing is, I take them with the
    same camera and never change the camera's adjustments..
    If you're ever in the Newark area and like EMs, you're welcome to stop
    in. I have quite a few set up and then maybe you can show me a trick
    with this laptop..
    Oh yes. And if you happen to be thirsty, the fridge is never empty..

#84 2 years ago

I enjoyed reading this. Brought back a lot of memories of different playground equipment. My friend had a small two person pump and spin thing in his backyard called, I think, a Whirly-gig. Sort of like this. I've always thought that a well balanced seesaw that's like 40 ft long and an axis that's 5 ft off the ground, and an adjustable offset weight to balance the riders weights would be a fun invention.

external-content.duckduckgo (resized).jpgexternal-content.duckduckgo (resized).jpg
    #85 2 years ago
    Quoted from Onevox:

My friend had a small two person pump and spin thing in his backyard called, I think, a Whirly-gig. Sort of like this.

Yes. I'm not sure on the manufacturer(s), but residential pump merry-go-rounds
    were made..
    My last large playground equipment piece that I restored operated from the same
    idea as this, but it's much larger and commercial grade..
    I'll have the next post project being this Merry-go-Round..

2 months later
    #86 2 years ago

It's been a while since I posted here, so I thought I'd write about the
    Pull-a-Way Merry-go-Round. It's made by Game Time which was formed
    in 1929 and is still manufacturing playground equipment. The Pull-a-Way
    was one of their very first pieces they designed..
    This was (more less) hidden for years behind a shut down institution.
    Years back I was lucky enough to acquire it, and after having it parked to
    the side for years, in the Fall of 2017, I finally placed it on a trailer for
    restoration the following Summer..

IMG_1141 (resized).JPGIMG_1141 (resized).JPG
    #87 2 years ago

That following Summer I sand blasted it, placed it back on the trailer,
    and took a pic with it primed (and partially painted)..

IMG_1334 (1) (resized).JPGIMG_1334 (1) (resized).JPGIMG_1344 (resized).JPGIMG_1344 (resized).JPG

#88 2 years ago

Well, it appears a month of photos are hidden away someplace showing other
    steps of the project along with the forming of the circular concrete pad, so I now
    have to jump to where the Pull-a-Way is sitting on the pad.

IMG_1399 (1) (resized).JPGIMG_1399 (1) (resized).JPG
    #89 2 years ago

The following Spring I put on the 8 bench seats.
    I think there's a video on youtube someone took with it in action.
    I'll check if I can find it..

IMG_1511 (resized).JPGIMG_1511 (resized).JPG
    #90 2 years ago

This was during a gathering on a 4th of July weekend.
    It's a little blurring, but you can see she can hold quite
    a few people..

#91 2 years ago

That's awesome, how many RPMs can you get that thing up to?

#92 2 years ago
    Quoted from jaytrem:

how many RPMs can you get that thing up to?

I have to be truthful. That thing can be a pretty good workout.
    I've never timed the RPMs, but when you're on it and look outward
    (like long distance), everything is blurry. People have gotten off of
    it and staggeringly fell to the ground..
    Most grown ups don't like going too fast, but for me, that's one part
    that hasn't yet grown up.
    It's my favorite playground equipment I restored. I'm very pleased to
    have it. I've never seen one when growing up..

3 weeks later
    #93 2 years ago

Very Peaceful

We enjoyed visit when Sean and I finally were able to come out

Amazing Job !!

Truly inspiring

Just will ever get on the wheel again (oh boy, still feeling it)

0E6AFC25-68AD-46AC-ADAE-D3A569865B18 (resized).jpeg0E6AFC25-68AD-46AC-ADAE-D3A569865B18 (resized).jpeg
    #94 2 years ago
    Quoted from TheCnyPinGuy:

Just will ever get on the wheel again (oh boy, still feeling it)

Haha. The Merry-go-Round. Yea. I was a little worried about your drive home..

1 month later
    #95 1 year ago

Not from the Development of the Vintage Park, but from a park in a
    neighboring town. It's on Main St. but kinda deep in and it was just last
    year when I surprising spotted it still being in use, and being so close by to
    where I get a hair cut, a couple weeks ago I took a few pics..

IMG_0888 (resized).JPGIMG_0888 (resized).JPGIMG_0889 (resized).JPGIMG_0889 (resized).JPGIMG_0890 (resized).JPGIMG_0890 (resized).JPGIMG_0891 (resized).JPGIMG_0891 (resized).JPGIMG_0892 (resized).JPGIMG_0892 (resized).JPGIMG_0893 (resized).JPGIMG_0893 (resized).JPGIMG_0894 (resized).JPGIMG_0894 (resized).JPG
    #96 1 year ago

I saw this today and thought the grill would go very well with the rest of your playground equipment.

FB_IMG_1654553916363 (resized).jpgFB_IMG_1654553916363 (resized).jpg
    #97 1 year ago
    Quoted from edward472:

I saw this today and thought the grill …

Added bonus .. you could catch up on some workshop chores while you grill your steak!

Back in the thread there was some posts about the Rocket Ship slide. We have one here in Auckland too. It’s still there, although a few years back they removed the slide and the ladders out of it for whatever reason.

The park is actually called - Rocket Park. The Rocket is a local icon.

Whether it is a genuine USA built one, or the locals ripped off the design (probably likely), I’m unsure. Evidently it was constructed in 1967.

rd

1E5E2131-DCE0-4F2F-AADA-F2E61F009BDF (resized).jpeg1E5E2131-DCE0-4F2F-AADA-F2E61F009BDF (resized).jpeg3C0D51F5-D7DA-4621-AB4E-5D31072DD960 (resized).jpeg3C0D51F5-D7DA-4621-AB4E-5D31072DD960 (resized).jpeg
    #98 1 year ago

Here she is back in the day.

I remember playing on it in the 70s and 80s and when there were a bunch of kids in there it got pretty claustrophobic…

rd

08CB8E2C-ADFD-4F1B-86CD-D8E2C13054B4 (resized).jpeg08CB8E2C-ADFD-4F1B-86CD-D8E2C13054B4 (resized).jpeg
    #99 1 year ago
    Quoted from edward472:

I saw this today and thought the grill would go very well with the rest of your playground equipment.

I don't remember hearing about American Playground Device Company, so I had to look
    them up and it seems they opened in the early 30s, and appears they're still manufacturing
    playground equipment. Maybe even still from their original facility..
    I already have 3 park grills from the 50s/60s, but if I had the American Playground, I could
    easily find a nice spot to park it. That one looks to be maybe from the 40s..
    One of the park grills I was able to get is a mobile grill. After a little fabricating, she's solid
    and very usable..

IMG_0922 (resized).JPGIMG_0922 (resized).JPG
    #100 1 year ago
    Quoted from rotordave:

Whether it is a genuine USA built one, or the locals ripped off the design (probably likely), I’m unsure. Evidently it was constructed in 1967.

I'd maybe think the Rocket has a good chance of being USA made.
    Miracle Playground Equipment (which formed in 1927 and still going
    today) was known for their Rocket Slides in the 60s and 70s.
    Unlike so many others, it's nice your Community didn't scrap that
    vintage piece of history..

There are 122 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 3.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/-the-development-of-a-vintage-park/page/2?hl=mopar and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.