(Topic ID: 292255)

Stamp Collection 1869-1960 What's This Worth? Worldwide Stamps

By SantaEatsCheese

2 years ago

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

20210425_071629 (resized).jpg
    20210425_071639 (resized).jpg
    20210424_122707 (resized).jpg
    20210424_122620 (resized).jpg
    20210424_122047 (resized).jpg
    20210424_122521 (resized).jpg
    #1 2 years ago

Off topic but hoping there is a stamp person here. I just picked this stamp collection book up at an estate sale, but its full of stamps from 1869-1960. It has Communist Stamps, Nazi Stamps, stamps from all over the world... Going to take it to a stamp collecting store later today for an appraisal, but didn't want to get ripped off in general.

Looking through here its pretty neat. 3 million Deutchmark stamps from hyperinflation Germany? Check. Countries that don't exist? Czarist stamps? Check. Countries under occupation? Check.

Anyways, if you could point me in the right direction it would be appreciated.

I just want a rough range to work with.

Thanks all!

Full flip through for stamp nerds:

20210424_122047 (resized).jpg20210424_122047 (resized).jpg20210424_122521 (resized).jpg20210424_122521 (resized).jpg20210424_122620 (resized).jpg20210424_122620 (resized).jpg20210424_122707 (resized).jpg20210424_122707 (resized).jpg
    #2 2 years ago

Your going to find out that these are virtually worthless. I was lucky to get $100 for a collection like that 15 years ago. Stamp collecting is on a serious decline

#3 2 years ago

I was always into numismatics, never into stamps. If I could go back, it would be muscle cars. So cheap back in the day.

#4 2 years ago
    Quoted from RacingPin:

Your going to find out that these are virtually worthless. I was lucky to get $100 for a collection like that 15 years ago. Stamp collecting is on a serious decline

Quoted from Electrocute:

I was always into numismatics, never into stamps. If I could go back, it would be muscle cars. So cheap back in the day.

Thanks guys.

Long story shot, the guy at the stamp store said he'd retail it at about $50. I paid $38 and have had alot of fun flipping through it and answering questions for my kids. What's the Saar, Belgian Congo, Dutch East Indies, why is Hitler on so many countries postage? The majority of this collection seems to be from between about 1905 and 1960, with lots of pictures of dead monarchs I've seen in history books.

It's really cool, but pretty much worthless. Going to keep it for a while then unload it when I havn't touched it for a year.

Thanks!

#5 2 years ago
    Quoted from RacingPin:

Back in the day you would hear about some rare stamps fetching enormous prices. Have those prices declined too and lost their luster?

#6 2 years ago

I was an "art preparer" at a contemporary art museum at one time in my life, and we set up a show about art that pushed the limits as far as breaking laws. One artists "art" was to create a sheet of stamps, hand drawn to perfection complete with perforations. As I recall, the content of the stamp was a social commentary. Then he'd rip out one stamp from the flat and put it through the mail addressed to himself. What hung on the wall was the flat of stamps with the envelope and the cancelled stamp. I'm sure his stamps fetch a pretty penny.

#7 2 years ago

I still collect stamps, and have a copy of every stamp Australia has issued since its first as a Commonwealth in 1913

I didn’t see any Australian stamps in the album; are there any there? I could give you a rough guide to their value straight away

As someone has already suggested, stamp collecting isn’t what it used to be. But the truly rare stamps still sell for small fortunes, and you never know, you might have jagged one

But showing your kids the album and talking history is priceless...

#8 2 years ago
    Quoted from Chambo:

I still collect stamps, and have a copy of every stamp Australia has issued since its first as a Commonwealth in 1913
    I didn’t see any Australian stamps in the album; are there any there? I could give you a rough guide to their value straight away
    As someone has already suggested, stamp collecting isn’t what it used to be. But the truly rare stamps still sell for small fortunes, and you never know, you might have jagged one
    But showing your kids the album and talking history is priceless...

Here are the Australian ones. Thanks!
    20210425_071629 (resized).jpg20210425_071629 (resized).jpg20210425_071639 (resized).jpg20210425_071639 (resized).jpg

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/-stamp-collection-1869-1960-what-s-this-worth-worldwide-stamps?hl=carlo45 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.