4 years ago

Topic Stats

• 8 posts
  • 4 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 4 years ago by Sea_Wolf
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider sea_wolf.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#6 4 years ago

I have never seen a Gottlieb ‘New York’ so I looked on IPDB and saw this:

Notes: 'New York' is a special add-a-ball version of the 2-player Gottlieb's 1976 'Pioneer' that was made in celebration of the 1976 lifting of the laws that had banned pinball in New York City.

That’s amazing to me to hear. I spent the summer of 1977 in NYC and never knew that Pinball was banned there until the year before. Is this pretty common knowledge? Seems kinda crazy to me.

#8 4 years ago
Quoted from Mopar:

Yes, Replay machines in N.Y. State were always illegal because N.Y. state laws considered
winning free games as gambling. In 1960, (maybe 1959), Gottlieb convinced State law makers that
Add-a-Ball pinballs would not be gambling, but winning a free ball would be a form of achievement,
thus in 1960 came out Add-a-Ball for N.Y., Wisconsin, and Conneticut.
However, on multi-players, an adjustment for Replays or "Same Player Shoots Again" were on most
machines, thinking Pioneer or Spirit of 76 could be set to be legal. The Gottlieb multi-players I have from
that era has that option, and I have them set for"Shoot Again", not Replay..
But still, the question remains, I'm not aware why N.Y. is considered as an add-a-ball machine when
it appears it's rule set is exactly like Pioneer and Spirit of 76. The only difference is that N.Y. doesn't
give replays, but that alone wouldn't make it an add-a-ball machine. It has "Shoot Again". but so hasn't
the other two..

Fascinating stuff. It boggles my mind how backwardly narrow people were just a short time ago.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
Cabinet - Decals
The Pinball Scientist
Decals
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
arcade-cabinets.com
Armor and blades
$ 19.99
Cabinet - Other
Maine Home Recreation
Other

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider sea_wolf.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/-question-on-1976-gottlieb-new-york?tu=sea_wolf and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.