• No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

pasted_image (resized).png
Dickinson (resized).jpg
Maiden (resized).jpg
#1 5 years ago

So I have an 8 year old Daughter and 4.5 year old son who believe in Santa Claus. They also love pinball and Iron Maiden. This year their big present (and mine too) is an Iron Maiden Premium. The game is shipping on the 14th and should arrive at my house around the 20th. I have cleared enough space in the garage so I can throw some old tarps over it and hopefully the kids do not notice. The plan is to use my big furniture dolly to bring the machine into the basement and set it up on Christmas eve. The next morning the kids open gifts and I remind them I want all those new toys put away in the play room and not left all over the living room then hear the delighted screams as they enter the playroom...

Anyway. My garage is unheated and temperatures have been in the high 20's at night in the Northern Virginia area. Will I be causing any damage to the machine by leaving it in the garage for 3-4 nights? The garage tends to stay a few degrees warmer than the outside air temperature but I am still worried. If I absolutely have to I could tell them that this present is not from Santa and is instead from my wife and I but since it is their biggest gift by far I really wanted them to get it on Christmas morning.

In case anyone was wondering what kind of kids dig Iron Maiden, well here is my family with Steve Harris backstage in 2017. My wife works for a well-known public museum and was asked to provide access to the restoration center to Bruce Dickinson who had requested a tour. She let me come along and I got to talk WW1 and WW2 fighter planes and the Concorde crash for 3 hours with my favorite lead singer of all time. He was kind enough to give us backstage passes for the whole family.

Maiden (resized).jpgMaiden (resized).jpgDickinson (resized).jpgDickinson (resized).jpg
#2 5 years ago

You should be ok. Congrats on the buy!

#3 5 years ago

Cool story and such a wonderful gift for such a deserving family! Your kids are going to go absolutely nuts!

The game will be fine. What I would do once you get it in the house and set up is remove the glass pull the playfield out and set it on the service rails and open up the backbox. Just let everything breath as is acclimates to the indoor temperature. Depending on the temperature difference and humidity levels, you'll probably end up with some condensation. Just don't turn it on, wipe anything down or install the balls until that condensation is gone (4-5 hours at least). Only adjustment you'll need to make right away is set it on Free Play as it comes set to coin play (don't want anyone disappointed they need to find a bunch of quarters).

Enjoy!

#4 5 years ago

After you bring it inside, let it sit for several hours before turning it on, so it has a chance to gradually warm to room temperature.

#5 5 years ago
pasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).png
#6 5 years ago

As posted above, the pin should technically be stored above freezing, but it should be fine for a few days in a garage. If worried, could always put a small spacer heater by it. If you think about it, these pins are shipping all over the world in unheated trucks right now and do just fine. I would imagine the storage temperature guidelines in the manual is for long term storage. Key item is to let the pin warm up before turning on and playing so you don't break any cold plastics or other items.

#7 5 years ago

Thanks for the helpful replies! I will definitely let it sit overnight before turning it on and I will open it all up for a few hours before going to bed.

#8 5 years ago
Quoted from LargemouthAss:

Thanks for the helpful replies! I will definitely let it sit overnight before turning it on and I will open it all up for a few hours before going to bed.

Once you get it in side, it should warm up in a few hours. I just turned on a jjpotc after a few hours of coming straight off the truck and it was totally fine.

#9 5 years ago

I have noticed that my garage, also in Northern VA, never gets to freezing even in the near zero degree days of winter. I keep a water bottle in the garage to see if it freezes just to be sure I will not have any frozen pipes in the insulated ceiling. One thing you could do is put a small electric heater in the garage until time to move it into the house. Just make sure it is not near anything combustible and I would not run it on full blast. Also, keep the garage doors closed as much as possible.

#10 5 years ago

Any friends have space in their house or heated garage? Anybody have a job where ya could leave it like a office or back area?

#11 5 years ago
Quoted from Phat_Jay:

Any friends have space in their house or heated garage? Anybody have a job where ya could leave it like a office or back area?

I don't have anyone who could do that and let me into their house on Christmas eve...

#12 5 years ago

Store it inside a Tauntaun to keep it warm.

#13 5 years ago

I’d just hide it in garage then and maybe get a small radiator style electric heater. Tell kids you’re good friends with Santa, and Santa stores stuff around the country to make his trip go faster rather than going back to North Pole and restock, and that’s a box of stuff for other people and you have been given the honor of keeping it safe for Santa. Otherwise find a climate controlled storage unit or worst case scenario ($$$) would be get a cheap hotel room.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
arcade-cabinets.com

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Twisted Tokens

$ 115.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

$ 55.00
Playfield - Protection
Tucson Pinball

$ 55.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
arcade-cabinets.com

$ 39.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 24.00
Lighting - Other
Pin Monk

$ 12.50
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 26.00
Playfield - Other
Pin Monk

$ 69.99
Cabinet - Decals
Inscribed Solutions

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
arcade-cabinets.com

Lighting - Backbox
Myth Pinball Parts Shop

$ 20.00
Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
arcade-cabinets.com

Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Space Coast Pinball

Machine - For Sale
Mt Zion, IL
$ 34.00
Playfield - Other
Pin Monk

$ 27.95
Playfield - Protection
SilverBall Designs

$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 75.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
FlipMods

$ 24.00
Playfield - Other
Pin Monk

8,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
St. Charles, IL
$ 132.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/-question-about-temporary-storage-of-bnib-pin and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.