Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 25 posts
  • 15 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 11 months ago by mcluvin
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

9k=.jpg
    #1 11 months ago

Alot of you fellers i reckon use discord. I use it quite often. Has there been a community discord made for here? Tried looking on the previous posts but it didn't seem like there was one. Is that something people would be interested in? not as a replacement for the forums but y'know just to chat and shoot conversations with eachother a little more comfortably / less reserved. Sometimes it seems like a nice idea to lay back and talk with friends on here. Maybe a discord would aid in that.

#2 11 months ago

I know of at least two.

One is a branch off the cigar thread on pinside.

#3 11 months ago
    Quoted from AviRoo:

Alot of you fellers i reckon use discord. I use it quite often. Has there been a community discord made for here? Tried looking on the previous posts but it didn't seem like there was one. Is that something people would be interested in? not as a replacement for the forums but y'know just to chat and shoot conversations with eachother a little more comfortably / less reserved. Sometimes it seems like a nice idea to lay back and talk with friends on here. Maybe a discord would aid in that.

Discord blows. It is such an awful, privacy nightmare now. It scans everything you say, everything you send. The original team who built and implemented Discord were replaced. They were awesome, got to hang out with some of them at PAX years back!

Telegram is pretty awesome, and getting better with channels by the day

#4 11 months ago
    Quoted from Isochronic_Frost:

Discord blows. It is such an awful, privacy nightmare now. It scans everything you say, everything you send. The original team who built and implemented Discord were replaced. They were awesome, got to hang out with some of them at PAX years back!
    Telegram is pretty awesome, and getting better with channels by the day

Honestly? i didn't know that. that's a little uncomfortable knowing that now but alas i have too many friends i care for to just up and quit. Is there a telegram group? I'd definitely join up on that.

#5 11 months ago
    Quoted from AviRoo:

Honestly? i didn't know that. that's a little uncomfortable knowing that now but alas i have too many friends i care for to just up and quit. Is there a telegram group? I'd definitely join up on that.

There’s a Pinball Furries telegram, that’s about it. I’ll start a Pinside one, but doubt many will use it.

https://www.reddit.com/r/privacy/comments/rsxeee/you_should_never_use_discord_and_heres_why/

https://www.techradar.com/opinion/discords-ai-features-violate-our-privacy-and-its-time-we-pushed-back

There’s a lot you can read about it, endless articles and websites talking about the privacy issues and they all end with “basically use something else”

It’s just another Big Tech Data farm now.

#6 11 months ago

We have the The Pinball Community discord. You're welcome to join!

https://discord.gg/SQrkfHpA

#7 11 months ago

I only use Discord for a group that's dedicated to the Rush series of arcade/home console driving games. There are a number of us on there that own arcade cabs and it's quicker and easier to chat with them about stuff there than trying to join KLOV and start a small community there then doing the whole thing more forum style. We've been working on reliable ways to link up cabs over the internet using various VPN tunneling methods. We've even got a couple of Rush 2049's original developers/designers who worked at Atari back then that are members of our Discord.

With that said, I'd never purchase anything from anyone on there or send any of my info by any means whatsoever to anyone on there.

#8 11 months ago
    Quoted from Miguel351:

There are a number of us on there that own arcade cabs and it's quicker and easier to chat with them about stuff there than trying to join KLOV and start a small community there then doing the whole thing more forum style. We've been working on reliable ways to link up cabs over the internet using various VPN tunneling methods.

Forward the discord to me in PM if you don't mind - LONG time ago I was working with someone on KLOV about this same darn thing, when the other person ghosted. Would like to get back into this, especially once my games are set back up in the new place!

#9 11 months ago
    Quoted from Isochronic_Frost:

It is such an awful, privacy nightmare now. It scans everything you say, everything you send.

What do you think google does to this forum? Can't imagine anything I'd say on a pinball Discord that would cause me to need privacy, but I guess it's a big thing for some people. Anywhere the service is free, you're the product.

#10 11 months ago

What’s with all the childish little baby avatars and icons with discord?

#11 11 months ago

another one if interested https://discord.gg/rSF9pM4j

#12 11 months ago

Thanks~

#13 11 months ago
    Quoted from yancy:

What do you think google does to this forum? Can't imagine anything I'd say on a pinball Discord that would cause me to need privacy, but I guess it's a big thing for some people. Anywhere the service is free, you're the product.

Didn’t realize Google is storing all our IP addresses and location data and compiling huge files on Pinsiders

Pinside has a fantastic privacy record, Google can scrape SOME of the forums, but not all of them. Discord collects A TON of your data and you can’t opt-out, perhaps if you spent half the time reading as you did quipping, you’d understand!

Since you’re not doing anything illegal, does that mean you’re fine with Amazon recording you having sex in your house and sending that audio to their employees to listen to? Because that literally happens all the time, and they’ve been sued for it, which is why I don’t own an echo or any other spyware/listening device in my house, aside from my phone.

Privacy is an important human right regardless of your feelings!

#14 11 months ago

There are legitimate privacy concerns at the extreme end of the scale, as you've pointed out, but trying to equate an Echo recording me having sex with Discord tracking my IP address and location (gasp!) just weakens your point.

I already assume my location, IP, etc. are being tracked constantly by the thing I voluntarily keep in my pocket. Discord and similar apps also doing it is a non-story to 99% of the public. You just happen to be in the privacy obsessed 1%.

#15 11 months ago
    Quoted from yancy:

There are legitimate privacy concerns at the extreme end of the scale, as you've pointed out, but trying to equate an Echo recording me having sex with Discord tracking my IP address and location (gasp!) just weakens your point.
    I already assume my location, IP, etc. are being tracked constantly by the thing I voluntarily keep in my pocket. Discord and similar apps also doing it is a non-story to 99% of the public. You just happen to be in the privacy obsessed 1%.

There's a difference between Deus Ex Machina knowing who you are and some jackass on Pinside knowing it based on a simple Google search. Don't ya think, Yancy from West Dundee?

#16 11 months ago
    9k=.jpg9k=.jpg
    #17 11 months ago
    Quoted from mcluvin:

There's a difference between Deus Ex Machina knowing who you are and some jackass on Pinside knowing it based on a simple Google search. Don't ya think, Yancy from West Dundee?

I just don’t give a shit. Know me, track me.

…see me, feel me, touch me, heal me. There, now it’s pinball related.

#18 11 months ago

Let me see if I’m understanding this correctly. The idea is that we need multiple chat threads on other platforms to discuss the chat threads we participate in on Pinside?

#19 11 months ago
    Quoted from Mr_Tantrum:

Let me see if I’m understanding this correctly. The idea is that we need multiple chat threads on other platforms to discuss the chat threads we participate in on Pinside?

Yes and I recommend complimenting all of this with, Chat AI

#20 11 months ago
    Quoted from Mr_Tantrum:

I'm not sure that was the intention of this post. I mostly just wanted to be able to talk to people in a more relaxed setting. I mean i enjoy browsing pinside but it would be nice to just sit with some friends and do stuff. Maybe that's just me.

#21 11 months ago
    Quoted from AviRoo:

I'm not sure that was the intention of this post. I mostly just wanted to be able to talk to people in a more relaxed setting. I mean i enjoy browsing pinside but it would be nice to just sit with some friends and do stuff. Maybe that's just me.

I get it, without the excessive moderation!

#22 11 months ago
    Quoted from yancy:

I just don’t give a shit.

You should. It's a bit ironic that there are folks living in GDPR protected countries making a living off of folks just like you.

#23 11 months ago

If someone can make a buck off me searching for Carly Rae Jepsen & Skinny Puppy tickets, more power to 'em. If I gave any less of a shit I wouldn't even reply to this thread. Don't you privacy weirdos have any real problems?

#24 11 months ago
    Quoted from yancy:

If someone can make a buck off me searching for Carly Rae Jepsen & Skinny Puppy tickets, more power to 'em. If I gave any less of a shit I wouldn't even reply to this thread. Don't you privacy weirdos have any real problems?

When China takes control and rounds up all the Skinny Puppy fans, only the privacy weirdos will escape.

#25 11 months ago
    Quoted from yancy:

You don't get to pick and choose. They get all of it. Privacy Weirdo? You have swallowed the blue pill and have no idea.

And folks, "they" isn't just Microsoft, Apple, Google, and governments. It's criminal organizations too.

AI just loves toothy grins...

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.