(Topic ID: 298001)

Pinball home service call thread (share your experiences/insight)

By pinballplusMN

2 years ago

Topic Stats

• 6 posts
  • 3 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 2 years ago by LTG
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

20210624_185246 (resized).jpg
    20210623_112146 (resized).jpg
    20210624_185105 (resized).jpg
    #1 2 years ago

I figured I would start a new thread to discuss pinball in home service. Perhaps you are a service technician and have a neat story to tell or you had someone come to your house to repair your game. I've been doing home service since 1984 and have met hundreds of great people and have some neat stories to tell from over the years.. I can post them here from time to time and encourage others to do the same who do home service as well.

Another aspect that can be discussed here is what things techs run into as these games get to be 40+ years old. Im sure alot of techs use pinside so it would be nice to get some insight on what issues/solutions come along and how they are handled with the client and vice-versa in this unique service that is provided. These games were not meant to last 40 plus years so servicing them in a clients home to get heavy play can be a challenge!

#2 2 years ago

Rolling Stones Service call-
    I have been doing home service calls since 1984. It’s always rewarding to take something that is broken, fix, clean up and play again! All pinball machines in homes have a story to tell of why they were purchased or acquired. Often, the games have nostalgia for their owners as some have been in the family for decades and have been passed down several times to different family members.
    We sold this particular Rolling Stones pinball back in 1996 from our St. Paul Como store. It was purchased by a woman as a gift for her husband as he loved pinball. Both were huge fans of the band as well. Over the years I have done a tune up on this game, perhaps every 3-4 years or so. The gentleman who received the pinball used to work for a record distributor back in the 80’s and 90’s. In his basement his entire wall was covered with pictures of himself with every music personality imaginable. It was always fun chatting with him about who in the industry was nice or arrogant. He always spoke fondly of Dolly Parton and the Stones. In 2002 when he had some health problems Mick Jaeger sent him some signed memorabilia and other things.
    I hadn’t heard from these clients until recently. The last service call was in 2015. Sadly, wife recently passed away very recently and he wanted the game assembled and tuned up at his new place. It’s been a long time and it was good to see this client again. (I would name him but privacy etc.)
    Towards the middle of the call I asked the history of the game of why it was purchased when she could have got many other rock themed pinballs at the time.
    He proceeds to tell me that his wife was diagnosed with cancer in 1994. At the time the longest survivor of this type of cancer was 4 years. Mick Jaeger through channels in the industry heard about this and invited the couple to a concert with VIP seats etc. Prior to the concert starting he had them backstage. He spoke with the client’s wife for 10 minutes offering words of encouragement.( I guess many young ladies were back stage and not too happy that Mick walked past them) In closing he asked if she would like them to play anything in particular.) She chose Sweet Virginia. To their surprise they played the song with Mick on the harmonica. According to him it’s an older song generally not on their playlist for concerts. As I was getting done with the call the client put played Sweet Virginia on his cd player. He actually sang a little bit along with it. A little touching to say the least. He said that by them playing that song it in a way gave her hope with her cancer. Amazingly, she lived 25+ years past diagnosis.
    In closing this is the best connection I have heard as far as a client and the reason they own a particular pinball machine. I also have a new appreciation for the Rolling Stones. Thought I’d share. Thanks for reading!

20210623_112146 (resized).jpg20210623_112146 (resized).jpg20210624_185105 (resized).jpg20210624_185105 (resized).jpg20210624_185246 (resized).jpg20210624_185246 (resized).jpg
    #3 2 years ago
    Quoted from pinballplusMN:

I also have a new appreciation for the Rolling Stones.

I have a Rolling Stones story. Many years ago they were in town for a concert. My salesman from Lieberman's calls me and wanted to borrow my sit down Sega Thunder Blade for the Rolling Stones back stage party, it was a game they requested.

I asked, "What do I get ?". Things like this might get backstage passes, autographed albums, etc. I was told nothing. ( I bet if I loaned them the game, somebody higher up stood to get something cool )

I said no. Sales rep asked, "why not?". I said because you have it, I traded it in a week ago. She asked why I didn't say something sooner? I said because if there was something good in it for me I'd buy it back and then trade it in again later.

LTG : )

#4 2 years ago

I generally don't fool with home service calls. Not enough in it and you get married to them for every problem. Real or not.

Many years ago a very good friend of mine asked me to help one of his friends running an estate sale. There were two pins there. This guy had done me a lot of favors so I said sure.

I get to the house. A flipperless Hawaii and a King of Diamonds. Both were blown out. I cleaned them up. All new rubber rings and light bulbs. Got them both good enough to play a game on them.

Lady asked what she owed me. I said nothing. My friend had helped me in the past, so when he asked me to help you I said I would.

Both games sold in the sale. $200 each. Here it comes. An attorney that bought the house bought both of them. Of course he's expecting brand new games for $200 each. This goes back and forth. I finally agreed to go back and see if more could be done. He said painters were in the house and they'd leave me in.

I go over there. Nobody in the house. I sat for four hours. Gave up and went to work. A few minutes later he calls madder than heck because I hadn't gone over there. I told him I was there for four hours, banging on all the doors. Nobody was there to let me in.

Now he's threatening to sue me and all kinds of threats. I finally changed my phone number to get rid of him.

And that is why I don't do service calls. I already have a job. I don't need the aggravation. The one time I made an exception got me nothing but grief.

#5 2 years ago
    Quoted from LTG:

I sat for four hours. Gave up and went to work.

That’s 3hrs and 45mins longer than I would have waited.

#6 2 years ago
    Quoted from JayDee:

That’s 3hrs and 45mins longer than I would have waited.

I was trying to smooth things over for my friend and his friend that ran the estate sale. Not the attorney. If it was just him, I wouldn't have gone over.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/-pinball-home-service-call-thread-share-your-experiences-insight and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.