'Open coin door and operate test button' message appearing

By Paulatron

2 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

#1 2 years ago

I am having a small problem with the test menu enter button not working on my JD.
Recently a message has appeared on the DMD. Open coin door and operate test button, or words to that effect. There is a beep noise followed by the message.
Over the weekend I opened the coin door and found the enter button does not operate the menu function.
The button tests fine and I reseated the plugs on the card.
I tried again a day later and was able to get to the menu, then later in evening the beep followed by the message, followed by button not operating.
Tried again tonight and same. Accessed the menu, tried again 15 minutes later, no menu.
The volume and credit work fine.
Cheers in advance.

#2 2 years ago
Quoted from Paulatron:

I am having a small problem with the test menu enter button not working on my JD.
Recently a message has appeared on the DMD. Open coin door and operate test button, or words to that effect. There is a beep noise followed by the message.
Over the weekend I opened the coin door and found the enter button does not operate the menu function.
The button tests fine and I reseated the plugs on the card.
I tried again a day later and was able to get to the menu, then later in evening the beep followed by the message, followed by button not operating.
Tried again tonight and same. Accessed the menu, tried again 15 minutes later, no menu.
The volume and credit work fine.
Cheers in advance.

One of your two coin door switches are flakey and need replaced. The faulty switch is making the game think the door is closed when it is not.

#3 2 years ago

Check the MPU for battery corrosion/leakage particularly around U20 and the 4 x LM339 chips each side of it.

#4 2 years ago

I believe that hitting the menu/enter button with the coin door closed will trigger this message. Your MPU thinks that the enter button is being held down.

#5 2 years ago

The fault is likely to be one of two causes:

• The physical switch in the coin door is bad (stuck closed).
  • The interpretation of the state by the hardware/software is bad (electrical or chemical damage to the circuit on the CPU board).

It's almost impossible for it to be a broken wire because that would result in the switch state being always open instead of always closed.

Quoted from pins4u:

Check the MPU for battery corrosion/leakage particularly around U20 and the 4 x LM339 chips each side of it.

If I were a betting person this is where I would place my money. The odds of a battery leaking alkaline on the CPU board is much higher than the odds of a coin door switch going bad.

Like everything in the universe it's a question of odds. Put your money where the odds are best and get the best return on your time.

#6 2 years ago
Quoted from DumbAss:

It's almost impossible for it to be a broken wire because that would result in the switch state being always open instead of always closed.

Another possibility: the wire insulation could get damaged and make contact with something. I've seen it happen near the door hinge before.

#7 2 years ago
Quoted from ForceFlow:

Another possibility: the wire insulation could get damaged and make contact with something. I've seen it happen near the door hinge before.

Agree with this as a possibility. If a positive side wire (ORG-XXX) contacts something that is grounded then it will cause the switch to be closed. A potential differentiating factor would likely be that this is positional - i.e. contact happens when the coin door is closed but contact no longer happens when the coin door is open. Often though these wire bundles should be in some form of tubing or tied together tightly.

#8 2 years ago
Quoted from DumbAss:

Often though these wire bundles should be in some form of tubing or tied together tightly.

Occasionally they are tampered with, so the tubing or bundle isn't how it should be. I've encountered the problem at least a couple of times now.

#9 2 years ago
Quoted from DumbAss:

Agree with this as a possibility. If a positive side wire (ORG-XXX) contacts something that is grounded then it will cause the switch to be closed. A potential differentiating factor would likely be that this is positional - i.e. contact happens when the coin door is closed but contact no longer happens when the coin door is open. Often though these wire bundles should be in some form of tubing or tied together tightly.

OP could try operating the menu button while moving the door repeatedly before diving into the wiring.

#10 2 years ago

Awesome, many thanks for all the replies.
I replaced the batteries as the center one was just starting to leak. I do check them regularly.
Nothing had got to the board, looks very clean, just a few crystals on the middle battery holder base plastic.
Gave everything a toothbrush clean with an electronic cleaner/solvent and new batteries.
The door switches don't seem to be a problem as i can operate the menu (when it works) with the buttons open or closed.
The scenario seems the same, I turn the game on and can access the menu.
After a while of running, but not necessarily playing the problem occurs and if i try access the menu again, nothing.
I will remove the board completely and go over it with a magnifying glass to see if there is any corrosion.

#11 2 years ago

These are handy. Will quickly eliminate the playfield wiring from the equation.

https://www.pinitech.com/products/wpc_dedicated_tester.php

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 1.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

$ 99.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 27.50
Boards
Pinball Haus

$ 29.00
Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

$ 19.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

Playfield - Plastics
Gameroom Mods

Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 72.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

Machine - For Sale
New Castle, CO
$ 165.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
DevilsMuse Arcade

$ 14.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Twisted Tokens

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 65.00
Cabinet - (Alt) Translites
Pinball Haus

$ 29.50
Playfield - Plastics
Pinball Haus

5,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Dunkirk, MD
$ 85.00
$ 329.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 17.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

4,000 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Richardson, TX
Trade
Machine - For Trade
Pasadena, TX
$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/-open-coin-door-and-operate-test-button-message-appearing and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.