8 months ago

Topic Stats

• 1,079 posts
  • 189 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 13 days ago by kguenther6
  • Topic is favorited by 59 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

There have been 51 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

20190929_084030 (resized).png
    DDD62825-F3FE-4491-B34C-0E93BCE1119F (resized).jpeg
    A0E6DCE7-DB92-4B70-A2DF-0B23C3BDEA98 (resized).jpeg
    78097B78-F8E4-4F46-99EF-CE637EB7BD20 (resized).jpeg
    AF8339A4-B123-42A7-87A8-57414FD4EB29.png
    58EE0691-34BB-4992-87F6-F6F69AB5F166 (resized).png
    2B91CD0B-2B5B-45F1-8550-55B94F37D641 (resized).jpeg
    20190806_111710 (resized).jpg
    20190805_173759 (resized).jpg
    IMG_2279 (resized).jpg
    B502CF63-4390-4FD9-82D7-6249FC7E50A3 (resized).jpeg
    15650520855936688136096203169929 (resized).jpg
    DE12DF17-1C99-4C68-9EB8-C9906DEE1969 (resized).jpeg
    pasted_image (resized).png
    1243851E-69C9-471E-B564-C537EBD1C7AC (resized).jpeg
    IMG_1169_2 (resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider whysnow.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#15 8 months ago
    Quoted from ninjadoug:

Tickets go on sale February 23 at noon eastern!

what is the ticket limit per order?

Last year it was 5. Hoping that is greatly reduced this time to give more people a chance.

Also a heads up that I have heard some have written bot scripts to try and get tickets. May cause some major issues for your ticket system.

#17 8 months ago
    Quoted from ninjadoug:

Ticket limit is the same as last year, 5 tickets. Last year 0 people bought 5 tickets in one transaction if I recall correctly. The vast majority of purchases were single tickets.
    I can't do anything if someone builds a bot, Showclix (our ticketing vendor) will be fine though, they handle events waaaaay bigger than Pinburgh.

thanks for the info.

Guessing more will be going for 5 this year? teaming up to try and score...

good luck everyone.

1 week later
    #48 7 months ago

good luck to everyone trying and may your clicking fingers be fast.

#106 7 months ago
    Quoted from MEuRaH:

I purchased tickets 1.5 hours after it sold out. I wasn't on the waiting list.
    I tried to buy them via my phone at noon. The site loaded, I hit "buy" but it was sold out. I tried to find the waiting list real quick but gave up. I was also running the Vermont State High School Bowling Finals at the same time... so I kind of focused my attention on that.
    After the tournament was over, I got my phone back out to see if I could find the waiting list. I hit the back button a few times to get back to the tickets page and a large red warning popped up that said "You have 15 minutes to complete this purchase".
    WTF?
    So I hit the next button and there it is. PINBURGH TICKETS! I filled it out and paid in full, and now I'm in.
    I couldn't believe it. I have no idea what happened. But I got tickets at 1:30 PM, 1.5 hours after they supposedly sold out.

Hold on to your shorts. Sounds like a glitch and they may get cancelled on you.

#121 7 months ago
    Quoted from CrazyLevi:

Why you always gotta be such a sour puss?
    His tickets arent gonna get cancelled.

Not being a sour puss. Trying to let the guy know that he should check it out and make sure they are legit before making any solid plans

1 month later
    #289 6 months ago
    Quoted from ninjadoug:

Official bank reveal will be sometime in June. There will be 384 games used in Pinburgh this year.

Is this a huge increase in number of games? awesome if so!

How many groups on a bank at a time?

1000 people

384 game/4 = 96 banks of games

That means 10.4 people per bank in each round? so some banks would have 2 groups and some would have 3?

#292 6 months ago
    Quoted from epthegeek:

3 Groups per bank + backup banks.
    Last year was 72 banks + 10 backup banks for 328 (https://pinburgh.com/2018/live/machines.html). With 1000 players and (mostly) 3 groups per bank, they'd need 84 active banks. So, 84 banks + 12 backup banks?

cool and thanks for explaining.

excited for MORE games!!!!

It is an amazing feat to even put this all together! thanks replayfx people!

2 months later
    #327 3 months ago
    Quoted from Pinzap:

Thanks... memory fail on my part.

it is OK, you are gettin old

#341 3 months ago
    Quoted from LOTR_breath:

Banks, Banks, Banks. Where be da banks?

90% the same as last year would be my guess

#356 3 months ago
    Quoted from yancy:

Hilton's track record remains intact.

an Yancy is still a Yancy.

#366 3 months ago

Bring multiple sets of shoes. Wear a different pair each day.

Helps with foot soreness

SIT on D1. You feel fresh that day and it is easy to forget. You will be happy on D2 if you sat on D1

#387 3 months ago

WTB, Bad Cats and Diner.

Will be at Replay from Thursday-Sunday for easy coordinated pickup

#393 3 months ago
    Quoted from TomGWI:

Your not playing this year?!

Huh?

I will be there and playing.

Am I missing something?

#397 3 months ago
    Quoted from TomGWI:

How will you have time to pickup a pin during the pinburgh event at the show? That is insane.

multiple breaks, and when you play as shitty as me, you are done super quick so even more time often between breaks.

I picked up a game last year with zero issues. Actually the past 2 years I picked up a game no problem.

Heidi is also playing in the womens only tourney so I have plenty of time on Sat and Sunday to do whatever I need.
    Hell, if there is a game within a few hours drive, I could easily do that on Sat (I wont be in any sort of playoff) or Sun (when she is busy in Womens)

#399 3 months ago
    Quoted from TomGWI:

You don’t play shitty. Don’t you have a medallion.
    I guess I just constantly think about pinburgh & food.

thanks

I am consistently inconsistent, lol.

I guess I always feel the breaks are too long and it always seems like my group tends to get done way early (I always figured due to play calibur )
    I probably just jinxed it, but either way if there is a game available then I will make the time to get it

#410 88 days ago

Is there a way to determine if we bought the ReplayFX ticket already?

I have my Pinburgh ticket of course, but have no idea if I already bought the actual show tickets.

#416 88 days ago
    Quoted from epthegeek:

That's right folks, we're all playing 1 bank this year. Bring a chair, the wait times will be redonk.

at least it is a pretty good bank

#418 88 days ago
    Quoted from Mr_Positive:

#23 on the waitlist. So close I can smell the Primanti’s...

I would guess you have a damn good shot.

Lots of people playing and lots of chances for people to not make it last minute.

I think anything under 25 at this point and I would be going no matter what, checking in, and being ready to play on the day of.

#433 87 days ago

19. it is ONLY pinball!

sorry, but this really should be #1
    Time and time again, I have seen the fits and full on melt downs at Pinburgh. First year, I saw a grown man in full tantrum on the ground kicking and screaming. Dont be that guy on the outside (you can be him on the inside if you want )

You will play better if you just shake off the bad balls and focus on the next.

20. Meet the people in your group, chat with them. You may find some new friends and this is honestly the best part about Pinburgh.
    *some people will not want to talk as they are all business and that is fine. Give them the space.
    **some people will flat out be jerks. Just blown them off and have your fun.

#437 87 days ago
    Quoted from epthegeek:

Only the "serious" tournament players are any good at not reacting to a ball save. Almost every group I've ever been in alerts the player to the ball save, whether they mean to or not.

what is the current ruling/ stance on doing this?

Is it coaching and you get a warning/ DQ?
    Is it allowed because it is just the natural response to warn someone?

#466 84 days ago
    Quoted from vidgameseller:

My first year of Pinburgh, Usually im tied up in the summers, but have been wanting to go for years. However, since im not a big player, Im not in the tournament, Im just going to hang out with a bunch of friends, hopefully meet several "online" friends in person.
    I havent seen it, but do people do parking lot deals and such as well? Usually at shows that I go to the games are brought by othrs and often a lot of buying/selling. But with no games being brought in for this show, im not sure if any of that is going on. Im going in a truck, so I do have the capability of bringing a game if someone is looking, or buying one if someone has something I want

cool that you will be there!

Yeah, lots of parking lot deals set up in advance.

#470 83 days ago

What things are going on Wednesday?

I know there is typical a golf thing, but think someone mentioned that is now a 2 day event (so not really worth it since I would only have a shot at 1 round on Wednesday and guessing locals would have lots of rounds in on Tuesday already)

Is there anything else for warm up competition on Wed?

#478 83 days ago
    Quoted from vidgameseller:

I was just curious, as I didn't see a buy/sell thread like many shows. And knowing that PAPA owns all the games, didn't expect much. But honestly, I have no interest in a booth, I want to enjoy walking around and talking to everyone. But if someone was interested in buying one of mine that I have available, or selling me something that I might like, id be fine with that to, lol
    cant wait to see a bunch of friends and enjoy the time

ummm... find me something I want

#483 83 days ago

Have a avg/good overall condition and clean Aztec that plays strong which I could possibly bring to Pinburgh (with payment in advance)

$1000 obo

tranport would be a little extra to offset the gas/hassle of transport.

#543 80 days ago
    Quoted from wesman:

My friend and I drove to Midwest Gaming Show for the first time this year, solely to take in panels and meet panelists just for one evening.

off topic, but worth note that those are some of the BEST anywhere.

David Thiel's this past year was a thing of amazement!

#553 79 days ago
    Quoted from ninjadoug:

Couldn't get it lined up this year with Steve, unfortunately.

bummer

should have given me a call.

I suck, so would have been the quickest 1 ball to rule them all taping of all time.

#567 77 days ago

i am so IN!!

#592 76 days ago
    Quoted from ryanwanger:

I've got an empty room with two double beds at the Omni. Wednesday -> Sunday. It's $660 total. Send me a direct message if you're interested.

you no longer going?!?!

#600 76 days ago

locals...
    BEST (safe) gluten free restaurant to eat at?

#602 76 days ago
    Quoted from ThisNotes4U:

I’m not sure this has been posted yet, but there are four boxes from Stern labeld Jurassic park. I am a volunteer setting up for replay FX and pinburgh. I’ll let you know as soon as they open the boxes

sweet!

#604 76 days ago

Thanks

Wife is a Celiac so needs a place that does not just "say" gluten free, but actually makes sure they serve gluten free.

In short, gluten slowly kills her so it is not just one of these healthy diet fads for her.

#605 76 days ago
    Quoted from ThisNotes4U:

I’m not sure this has been posted yet, but there are four boxes from Stern labeld Jurassic park. I am a volunteer setting up for replay FX and pinburgh. I’ll let you know as soon as they open the boxes

confirmed as 1 Premium and 5 Pros already there!!!!

#608 76 days ago
    Quoted from coreyhulse:

My wife has celiac’s, and our other friend has an intolerance, so we are always conscious of this.
    Condado Tacos and Emporio were both excellent at labeling, and we’ve eaten there multiple times.
    Burgatory (multiple locations, but one across the way by the stadiums) is also excellent at labeling what is safe, plus they do a gluten-free bun.
    At Ten Penny (a few years ago now), their labeling wasn’t very good, and my friend indicated that he needed to avoid gluten. They literally put his meal on a bed of bread, so we haven’t been back there since.
    My wife loves the FindMeGlutenFree app for traveling, so we recommend that as well if the above isn’t to your liking.

thanks VERY much!

I was hoping Condao was safe!

We use findmeglutnefree all the time, but always great hearing from a local in the know.

Curious is you/your wife have tried Lidia's or Gaucho?
    Both menus show good labeling on line but never sure

#626 75 days ago
    Quoted from SarverSystems:

Yes. Every machine is set to freeplay.

but to clarify slightly...

the vast majority are in use for tournament play all day Thursday and Friday.

Most are available on Saturday (only a smaller subset are reserved for play in finals of each division)
    All are available on Sunday.

#638 75 days ago
    Quoted from Sleepy:

"vast majority"

maybe they have more free play this year?

Still lots, but a wild guess is last year there were 150-200ish in regular free play pinball
    400ish in Pinburgh

I am sure someone will correct me on specifics but the majority are used for tourney play.

still a blast and TONS to do

#717 72 days ago

I ended up in 58th. I am happy with that.

#721 71 days ago
    Quoted from InfiniteLives:

And Levi finished 133

I guess E division Levi better step it up for next year

#739 71 days ago
    Quoted from InfiniteLives:

cant find any link to finals brackets

First rounds still playing for most brackets

#743 71 days ago

Oops

#763 70 days ago

Women’s International Pinball Tournament is today. Good luck to all the ladies playing!

#765 70 days ago
    Quoted from Rondogg:

It was off for 10 minutes, they stopped play and resumed. You missed about 1 minute of action. First time I've seen that at a major event. They did an amazing job.

I gotta disagree. The one place where Pinburgh and ReplayFX need some serious help is the stream thing.

I understand that is is all volunteer, but I find it to be a net negative. The main con is the really bad PA system which just echoes in the hall and sounds like the peanuts teacher. It is super loud, distracting and disrespectful to be in the audio space of 80% of your players (b c d and e playoffs are going on while a playoff commentators are blasting in their space).

First suggestion is to drop the speakers and go to a short range rf broadcast. Every person in the crowd that wants to listen can drop on headphone and do so. Those that don’t, won’t be distracted with color commentary that sounds like whahhhaha Haha whaaa wha wha whanan. Wooo! ohhh! Whhhhaaa wwaaannana wa wa wanna a a. Yeah!

#788 69 days ago
    Quoted from ninjadoug:

We started this last year and improved the audio this year. There is still more work to be done, but we've received so much positive feedback on this change I don't think we will abandon this concept.
    We thought about moving the B,C,D, and E finalists out towards the front of the Pinburgh area, farther away from the main stage, but I think the risk of a non-tournament guest wandering into the area out front and disrupting the event is rather high.

Audio was best yesterday during intergalactic finals. Then the big one went back on for wipt and it was insanely loud again.

Seriously, just look into some sort of short wave rf system. It will be better quality for those that want to listen and less disruption for those that don’t.

I am amazed that you continue to work directly against the nonA players with this clear disruption and to do it with full catering only to the A players.

Keep doing the stream as it is great. Fix the audio. If a bunch of cranked out rave kids are able to set up silent raves in abandoned warehouses then you guys should be able to also

Curious if you guys have gone out into other areas and actually experienced it?

You need audio, but the current setup is still a net negative and not really fair to the experience of others that fought hard to be in their finals. Remember, audio space is the same as physical space. ESP for many of the players at this level.

#853 69 days ago
    Quoted from Eric_S:

Anyone else have problems with Pin stadium lights falling off on to the playfield? We had it happen twice on Deadpool during B division playoffs.

yup

I reported seeing this on locations that use them and was told it was a non-issue by the maker.

Sad to hear it happened in competition. It was only a matter of time. Hopefully they ripped that shit out of the game and tossed it in the garbage.

#870 68 days ago
    Quoted from ninjadoug:

From our perspective, this would defeat the purpose of playing the audio into the hall if there was a barrier to hearing it.

then maybe a relay system with smaller speakers placed in better ways. Overall lower volume to not distract other players, but placed in better positions (where people are actually watching the stream)

Would be easy to set up, provide much better results, and not be yelling in other players faces.

I get that YOU want to play the audio for A bank into the hall. Good goal, poor execution.
    It simply comes down to, "Would you allow a random person to yell stuff directly behind other players while they are playing competitive matches?"
    If the answer is no, then you need to hold the organization accountable to the same standards.

#923 67 days ago
    Quoted from ninjadoug:

I'm not sure what this means, can you elaborate?

self scalping = upselling your own tickets for a higher price.

More and more events and bands are doing this to generate more $ but try to control perception that they are not scalping to the fans.
    Stuff like "platinum seating" that goes on sale to a fan club or VIPs. you get premier seat (or in this case some couches and 2 pins in a roped off area?) but the reality is the real perk is the option to buy earlier than others and secure the ticket.

The event sells for more money to help out the event.
    Everyone and their brother tries for the VIP because it is one more chance to secure a high demand and limited event.

You could honestly sell 300+ VIP tickets and upcharge. Great way to raise more revenue to do more stuff.

I honestly think you could charge 2x as much for the pinburgh ticket so long as the extra goes to improvements and NOT just more prize money for KME. (I mean the event is great, but I would rather see you guys just leave the already huge prize funds where they are and spend any extra on things to make the experience even better for the masses)

#928 67 days ago
    Quoted from CrazyLevi:

I think instead of the VIP thing as done this year (marking up tickets $70), an all-out auction would accomplish two things:
    1) Raise a shitload more money for Replay
    2) allow a better opportunity for deep-pocketed people to obtain a "VIP" (early/guaranteed entry) ticket. The VIP scramble was just as /more brutal than the regular onsale this year, and it wasn't because people were clamoring for the VIP lounge. They simply wanted tickets as early and securely as possible.
    Since the "VIP overcharge" ticket barrier was finally breached this year - with pretty much no negative feedback - I think it would be accepted and even welcomed by ticket buyers this year. If you think it's a "bad look," a percentage could go to Project Pinball or pretty much any charity.
    Just something to think about. VIP raised about an additional $3000 for replay this year. I'd bet you'd clear well over twice that auctioning off (or simply self-scalping at twice the price) the tickets. I've bought a lot of concert tickets. This stuff works.

Auction would be interesting.

Giving a % to charity or better yet, just saying it will go towards things like: paying more techs, hiring more people for streaming, improved audio, etc...
    would do the trick.

I would happily pay more for the opportunity to grab an early ticket if I knew the proceeds were going to continue to grow and improve the experience.

Levi> what do you think they could raise the regular pinburgh ticket price to and still be fine?

#935 67 days ago
    Quoted from CrazyLevi:

It's hard to say. "splitting up" the tickets as they do (replay ticket/pinburgh ticket) does a little to distract from the sticker shock. But you'd have to raise the Pinburgh ticket while not raising the replay ticket much as you don't want to scare away showgoers.
    So no idea really. I bet you could get away with an extra $20-30 without pissing off too many people.
    But again, letting would-be VIPs spend as much money as they want while only raising the "regular" ticket a few bucks might work better. I know for a fact there's plenty of people who would happily pay $300 for their pinburgh 2020 ticket tomorrow if given the chance.
    What's your take?

I agree. Another $30 is nothing in the grand scheme. I am sure there would be a little blow back, but lets be honest... if it decrease demand to rights size to the supply then I think that is a win. When you event sells out instantly and has a huge waitlist, then upping the fee seems to fit.

I add this all with the caveat that those extra funds go towards more improvements. If those funds go to more prizes for the top people, then I see the blow back as justified. I think the majority are all for more $ to help the organization do more and improve the experience for all.

I also agree on the VIP tickets. I gotta be honest. I would happily pay $300 for the VIP experience and ability to secure my tickets today. Granted this is a don't miss event for myself and wife plus her crappy work stuff requires lots of planning in advance so it is worth it for us to not have to worry.

My reality is that ANY vacation is going to cost us 1k in travel and hotel. Changing a pinburgh ticket form $100 per to $130 is a small % of the cost of this trip.

I spent more on the 4 beers we had in the venue after Friday was done.
    I would much rather have spent that helping the show directly and just snuck in a flask (shhhh.... dont tell anyone)

#961 67 days ago
    Quoted from ryanwanger:

Not sure if anyone got a pic, but for a time the Sharpe brothers were hanging out, separated by that wall. People on both sides were entertained.
    I thought it was going to be too weird sitting in there, but it was off to the side and there wasn't really any foot traffic nearby...so I didn't feel like the 1%.

until you won the intergalactic!

then you tell all the peasants to bow in your glory!!!!

How did you get the trophy home?
    and lets see it all lit up!

#989 66 days ago
    Quoted from ninjadoug:

All of the banks were new this year.
    For the most part the banks that ran longer this year were ones that had mechanical issues.

i gotta say, banks were really good this year!

Everyone I looked at had something good, something i did not want to play, something interesting, etc...

I heard lots of the same from others.

I did laugh at the Big Hurt bank that was called the big turd bank. I dont remember all the games but remember everyone that got it groaned, lol.

1 month later
    #1052 28 days ago

any update on results?

I thought IFPA rule was 30 days to report?

#1054 27 days ago

thanks for finding that.

well hopefully soon I guess.

I know it is a big thing with so man people, but I guess I assumed with them able to compile and click the button in minutes between each round that it would be similar for IFPA reporting.

#1057 27 days ago
    Quoted from DaveH:

So this is a yearly thing now? They have Pinburgh, and then you complain things are not fast enough?
    2019:

2018:

2017:

yeah, sometimes big events are able to adjust to the feedback

We all know that the majority of people would prefer to see the final placement, points, and results by now.

They make big improvements every year, the whole registration (with IFPA #), round selection, etc... appears to be a flick of the button and in the system they use. It is a very logical question to wonder why the largest event with the most automation takes more than other events big and small that are not so automated with a slick software.

You seem to really struggle with any sort of feedback or request for improvement???

Heck, you spent more time finding three years of quotes than it likely would have taken to submit final results to IFPA.

#1060 26 days ago
    Quoted from ninjadoug:

Final results have been submitted to IFPA for Pinburgh.

With the 1k participants, people putting in the wrong IFPA number, spelling their own names wrong, leaving off modifiers (USA), the way the IFPA system handles ties, finals software having issues... there are a lot of reasons why an event of this size takes a longer than the average event.
    I actually got so frustrated with the way the IFPA records ties I just fixed everything else and sent the results to Josh in a spreadsheet.
    I appreciate everyone's patience. Believe me, I try to make improvements to this every year. This is also a pain point for me!

thanks VERY much and I appreciate your effort to make it better.

I agree that the root issue here is the IFPA side of reporting (esp the ties)

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
    $ 24.25
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    The MOD Couple
    $ 209.99
    $ 0.35
    Eproms
    Matt's Basement Arcade
    $ 59.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Sparky Pinball
    $ 27.99
    Eproms
    Matt's Basement Arcade
    $ 60.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Docquest Pinball Mods
    Lighting - Interactive
    Professor Pinball
    Eproms
    Matt's Basement Arcade
    $ 100.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    G-Money Mods
    $ 1,000.00
    Playfields
    Pinball Playfields
    $ 96.95
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    Super Skill Shot Shop
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    $ 48.00
    Cabinet - Other
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    $ 123.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Lermods
    $ 34.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    The MOD Couple
    $ 7,499.00
    Pinball Machine
    Operation Pinball
    $ 9,599.00
    Pinball Machine
    Operation Pinball
    $ 7,999.00
    Pinball Machine
    Nitro Pinball USA
    $ 25.00
    Playfield - Other
    Filament Printing
    $ 19.99
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    $ 25.00
    Playfield - Decals
    Metal-Mods

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider whysnow.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside