Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 1,094 posts
  • 189 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 3 years ago by NeilMcRae
  • Topic is favorited by 51 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

20190929_084030 (resized).png
    DDD62825-F3FE-4491-B34C-0E93BCE1119F (resized).jpeg
    A0E6DCE7-DB92-4B70-A2DF-0B23C3BDEA98 (resized).jpeg
    78097B78-F8E4-4F46-99EF-CE637EB7BD20 (resized).jpeg
    AF8339A4-B123-42A7-87A8-57414FD4EB29.png
    58EE0691-34BB-4992-87F6-F6F69AB5F166 (resized).png
    2B91CD0B-2B5B-45F1-8550-55B94F37D641 (resized).jpeg
    20190806_111710 (resized).jpg
    20190805_173759 (resized).jpg
    IMG_2279 (resized).jpg
    B502CF63-4390-4FD9-82D7-6249FC7E50A3 (resized).jpeg
    15650520855936688136096203169929 (resized).jpg
    DE12DF17-1C99-4C68-9EB8-C9906DEE1969 (resized).jpeg
    pasted_image (resized).png
    1243851E-69C9-471E-B564-C537EBD1C7AC (resized).jpeg
    IMG_1169_2 (resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider tmontana.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#12 5 years ago

My 2 big questions are
    Can we still buy multiple tickets at once? Is it still 5 like last year?
    What hotel(s) are they blocking discount rooms at and when is that code/link coming out?

1 week later
    #89 5 years ago
    Quoted from rodcom:

We were ready, but no luck!
    [quoted image]

All those devices connected may have been the problem in slowing things down. I actually went around the house and made sure nothing was connected to the wifi except my one laptop.

2 weeks later
    #266 5 years ago
    Quoted from kermit24:

Not a fan of headlamps. Imagine if all 1,000 players were wearing them. So obnoxious. I think IFPA should ban them actually. You are crating an advantage for yourself as a player that not all players have access to.

Disagree. Some people have vision issues and allowing headlamps is a minimal accommodation for them. Now if their headlamp starts shining on another person's game or in their face that is a different issue, but simply banning them is a bad idea imho.

#267 5 years ago
    Quoted from NeilMcRae:

lots of folks wear gloves, nobody needs lights at pin burgh. its bright.

Pretty sure many people would've disagreed with you on the afternoon sessions in day 2 last year when they turned down the lights because people were complaining about the glare on some games.

Screenshot_20190310-125403_Facebook (resized).jpgScreenshot_20190310-125403_Facebook (resized).jpgScreenshot_20190310-125426_Facebook (resized).jpgScreenshot_20190310-125426_Facebook (resized).jpg
    #268 5 years ago

Now personally I'd prefer low light over glare but my eyes are pretty good in low light.

4 months later
    #432 4 years ago

MY TIPS FOR PINBURGH.

So with input from some friends I made a list of things you should know if this is your first Pinburgh.

1. ALWAYS double check that the correct player number is up.

2. If you drink alcohol, buy it ahead of time. It’s very difficult to find a place in DT Pittsburgh.

2a. You can bring a backpack into Pinburgh with snacks and drinks.

3. Bring a backup power bank for your phone, you will be on it a lot.

4. If someone walks away from a ball save, keep your mouth shut. Also stay at your machine until you see the bonus countdown so you don't walk away from your ball save.

5. Wear comfortable shoes. Sit as often as you can.

6. Stay hydrated. Bring your own water.

7. Remember a win in round 1 counts the same as a win in round 10.

8. The sit-down restaurants can be expensive. The best bang for the buck imho is ****** (sorry not sharing this as i don't want all of you there making the line longer )

9. Pay attention to the schedule and don't be late. Pay special attention to the “after dinner” rounds 4 & 9. It seems like I’ve seen and heard a lot of people show up late thinking it starts at 6:30.

10. Don't be a jerk. Don't put up with people who are being jerks.

11. Watch your opponents game and others in your bank to see how kick outs are, flipper strength, tilt, etc.

12. Ball savers are turned off on many games. This likely includes the super secret skill shot to the left outlane on Iron Maiden.

13.. Tilts are all going to be pretty tight, so tilting thru on solid states and EMs is a real possibility so use caution. Be extra careful on “tilt ends game” machines.

14. Double check your score sheets before signing and turning IT in. Take a photo too. At the end of the tournament it's nice to see how you did on different machines.

15. Have fun! You are going to have bad balls, bad games, and bad breaks. It's a long tournament, and letting yourself get mentally defeated will only take away from your enjoyment and level of play.

16.If you're staying downtown, almost all hotels only offer expensive valet parking. There are numerous city garages around that are significantly cheaper.

17. Carry a pen with you for score-keeping.

18. Try and make some time for enjoying the rest of the convention.

2 weeks later
    #787 4 years ago
    Quoted from ThePinballCo-op:

I was very happy to play a full day and finish 185th. Then disappointed that I was bumped down to B division. Missing out on a chance at the title and possibly all those IFPA points really sucked. I don't think any top player should be restricted to A alone.

I don't think I would like to see players like Cayle George and Steve Bowden beating everyone up in B division.
    Also, I believe the restrictions are where they are at because of sandbagging that occurred in the past where players who were near the bottom of A made sure to not do too well in round 5 so that they would be in the top of B instead.

#820 4 years ago
    Quoted from thirdedition:

Then the people who didn't make it into the correct divisions should "play better".

Same could be said about those that got "bumped" by a restricted player.
    When you look at it, getting bumped into B by a restricted player means you averaged 7-5 during each round, I wouldn't call that "great" playing. I would call it just above average. I've qualified the bottom of A twice now and by no means did I play great on day 1. I would say I played ok and had a few good breaks go my way.

#822 4 years ago
    Quoted from MrBally:

Wait until the day one of the top 10 A players have some bad games and get dumped into B. You'll see a rule change. Likely on the spot.

That would have happened this year with Cayle George and Steve Bowden if there wasn't division restrictions.

#829 4 years ago

That's actually a very standup gesture by him imo.

1 month later
    #1077 4 years ago
    Quoted from kguenther6:

Awesome. Hopefully the prize money will all be handed out soon.

I got my money a week ago.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider tmontana.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/-official-replayfx-pinburgh-2019-thread-?tu=tmontana and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.