Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 1,094 posts
  • 189 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 3 years ago by NeilMcRae
  • Topic is favorited by 51 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

20190929_084030 (resized).png
    DDD62825-F3FE-4491-B34C-0E93BCE1119F (resized).jpeg
    A0E6DCE7-DB92-4B70-A2DF-0B23C3BDEA98 (resized).jpeg
    78097B78-F8E4-4F46-99EF-CE637EB7BD20 (resized).jpeg
    AF8339A4-B123-42A7-87A8-57414FD4EB29.png
    58EE0691-34BB-4992-87F6-F6F69AB5F166 (resized).png
    2B91CD0B-2B5B-45F1-8550-55B94F37D641 (resized).jpeg
    20190806_111710 (resized).jpg
    20190805_173759 (resized).jpg
    IMG_2279 (resized).jpg
    B502CF63-4390-4FD9-82D7-6249FC7E50A3 (resized).jpeg
    15650520855936688136096203169929 (resized).jpg
    DE12DF17-1C99-4C68-9EB8-C9906DEE1969 (resized).jpeg
    pasted_image (resized).png
    1243851E-69C9-471E-B564-C537EBD1C7AC (resized).jpeg
    IMG_1169_2 (resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider ryanwanger.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#275 5 years ago
    Quoted from kermit24:

Not a fan of headlamps. Imagine if all 1,000 players were wearing them. So obnoxious. I think IFPA should ban them actually. You are crating an advantage for yourself as a player that not all players have access to.

I don't understand why people are so uppity about headlamps.

If someone wearing a headlamp shines it in the eyes of an adjacent player, this can be dealt with on an individual basis the same way any other form of distracting another player would be.

We are all born with a different quality of eyesight and sensitivity to light, and it changes throughout our lives. Even height affects the angle of the playfield and glass, and thus how we see the lights and the ball. You wouldn't consider banning sunglasses, stools, crouching...

Yes, the potential for distracting other players is there, but deal with it if/when it happens. (There are tons of other potential distractions to other players: floor mats, yelling, wearing headphones that are too loud...) If people start getting DQ'd for shining the light in someone else's eyes, you can bet they'll start keeping their headlamp focused on the machine and turn the light off before walking away.

#280 5 years ago
    Quoted from AUKraut:

however I can easily see it happening on a frustrating drain that one can forget about this easily while walking away frustrated

With great lighting comes great responsibility.

4 months later
    #591 4 years ago

I've got an empty room with two double beds at the Omni. Wednesday -> Sunday. It's $660 total. Send me a direct message if you're interested.

#593 4 years ago
    Quoted from Whysnow:

you no longer going?!?!

Still going. Found someone to share a room with.

#615 4 years ago
    Quoted from DaveH:

So what happens if I’m on stage in the finals with Elwin, we’ve been back and forth all day, and the last game for all the marbles is JP?

Pray that he's only good at *his* JP. In NYC Champs last year, he had a 54m game of IMDN in the quarterfinals...so anything is possible.

Also, you don't have to worry, because it's the *first* game for all the marbles that would be on JP. The last game will be an early solid state. So start practicing for Cheetah or Stars or something.

#616 4 years ago

Whysnow Freshii might be worth looking into. Their website kind of sucks for me right now, so hard to tell the exact menu, but it looks like the kind of place that would have lots of gluten free stuff. I ate most breakfasts there last year and it's right around the corner from Omni.

Might be primarily (or entirely?) veggie, in case that's a plus or minus for anyone.

#641 4 years ago
    Quoted from ninjadoug:

The vast majority free up Friday night after the last Pinburgh round.

This is actually the best time to play. Pinburgh competitors are exhausted and need to eat/sleep.

1 week later
    #894 4 years ago

Those fold down couches in the vip section were cool. I vote add more of those, and include a complimentary wake up service five minutes before each round begins.

#957 4 years ago
    Quoted from desertT1:

I saw a player that had a yellow lanyard and the Pinburgh badge was different. Was this a VIP badge?

Yes. I had mine in my pocket most of the time, and would only bring it out to get into the VIP area. The area was a nice perk, but I only did VIP to get me an extra shot at buying a ticket.

#960 4 years ago

Not sure if anyone got a pic, but for a time the Sharpe brothers were hanging out, separated by that wall. People on both sides were entertained.

I thought it was going to be too weird sitting in there, but it was off to the side and there wasn't really any foot traffic nearby...so I didn't feel like the 1%.

#964 4 years ago
    Quoted from Whysnow:

until you won the intergalactic!

then you tell all the peasants to bow in your glory!!!!

How did you get the trophy home?
    and lets see it all lit up!

That puts me in the 0.17%, but who's counting?!?

I asked if they could hang onto it and ship it to me later, and the answer was something like: "we've done it enough for Keith, so I'm sure we can figure something out".

At least it's good to know there is room for my reputation to grow.

#1002 4 years ago
    Quoted from TomGWI:

I was told by a TD you have 60 seconds to play in finals after a tilt.

True. But there is no guarantee that the bob has stopped swinging by then.

#1016 4 years ago
    Quoted from ninjadoug:

And there were only 428 games in Pinburgh this year to worry about installing them on!

At some point, the time spent addressing the suggestion will outweigh the time spent installing them.

I'll come a day early next year and help!

#1017 4 years ago
    Quoted from Sleepy:

My personal opinion was, I just thought it would be better for pinball if the greatest players were competing each year and didn't miss out because they couldn't get tickets.

I do think it's unfortunate that sometimes top players don't get in, but I'm not sure they should be guaranteed.

There are lots of other circuit/tournaments where the top players are guaranteed entry (ie: earn their way in through skillful play over a designated period of time): IFPA World Championships, Stern Pro Circuit Finals, and State/Province Championship Series. Could be others I'm missing.

#1022 4 years ago
    Quoted from ninjadoug:

I still have to conduct some more play testing with the earplugs on a game to see if I like how they affect the play.

There is hope!

Experiment a little with how much of the earplug you use (half, 3/4, full, etc). Depending on the game, sometimes it can be too much, sometimes not enough. Reducing tilt-throughs is the noblest of aspirations.

Quoted from chuckwurt:

You can even tighten the tilt more once they are installed because of how fast they stop swinging. So you can get the same sensitivity as before, but no “BS” tilts or waiting for forever.

Absolutely. With earplugs, you are more likely to be able to get the game exactly where you want it tilt-wise, rather than taking the trade off of making a looser tilt for the purpose of avoiding phantom tilts, or tilt-throughs.

#1024 4 years ago
    Quoted from Pinzap:

I also heard (not sure from whom) that if you’re really worried that 60 seconds isn’t enough, then go up to the pin at the minute mark and start semi/short plunging with the ball never leaving the shooter lane. I’ve never done it, but on games without auto-plunge, I’m guessing you could waste another minute or so doing that several times. I’m not recommending it (or even sure if it’s against rules), but just repeating what i had heard.

Crafty.

If I was waiting for more than a minute, it would only be because I had evidence that a minute wasn't enough (like, we already saw a tilt through, or a player in our group got a phantom tilt in on a previous ball, or I heard a story about one of those two situations from an earlier round regarding this machine). And in that case, I'd let the other players in my group know I was going to wait more than a minute, and let them know why.

At that point, it seems pretty unlikely that a player would call over a TD for a delay ruling. But meanwhile, the tilt bob is settling while we wait.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider ryanwanger.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/-official-replayfx-pinburgh-2019-thread-?tu=ryanwanger and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.