Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 1,094 posts
  • 189 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 3 years ago by NeilMcRae
  • Topic is favorited by 51 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

20190929_084030 (resized).png
    DDD62825-F3FE-4491-B34C-0E93BCE1119F (resized).jpeg
    A0E6DCE7-DB92-4B70-A2DF-0B23C3BDEA98 (resized).jpeg
    78097B78-F8E4-4F46-99EF-CE637EB7BD20 (resized).jpeg
    AF8339A4-B123-42A7-87A8-57414FD4EB29.png
    58EE0691-34BB-4992-87F6-F6F69AB5F166 (resized).png
    2B91CD0B-2B5B-45F1-8550-55B94F37D641 (resized).jpeg
    20190806_111710 (resized).jpg
    20190805_173759 (resized).jpg
    IMG_2279 (resized).jpg
    B502CF63-4390-4FD9-82D7-6249FC7E50A3 (resized).jpeg
    15650520855936688136096203169929 (resized).jpg
    DE12DF17-1C99-4C68-9EB8-C9906DEE1969 (resized).jpeg
    pasted_image (resized).png
    1243851E-69C9-471E-B564-C537EBD1C7AC (resized).jpeg
    IMG_1169_2 (resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider ninjadoug.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#14 5 years ago

Pinburgh rules for 2019 are updated! The three big takeaways are:

1000 Players!
    Payouts in Division E!
    Streamlined division restrictions!

https://replayfx.org/competitions/pinburgh/pinburgh-rules/

Tickets go on sale February 23 at noon eastern!

#16 5 years ago
    Quoted from Whysnow:

what is the ticket limit per order?
    Last year it was 5. Hoping that is greatly reduced this time to give more people a chance.
    Also a heads up that I have heard some have written bot scripts to try and get tickets. May cause some major issues for your ticket system.

Ticket limit is the same as last year, 5 tickets. Last year 0 people bought 5 tickets in one transaction if I recall correctly. The vast majority of purchases were single tickets.

I can't do anything if someone builds a bot, Showclix (our ticketing vendor) will be fine though, they handle events waaaaay bigger than Pinburgh.

1 week later
    #37 5 years ago
    Quoted from Shapeshifter:

There should be a limit of 2 for these VIP tickets.

What if you want to bring your family?

#125 5 years ago
    Quoted from Grandnational007:

I wasn't able to enter my ifpa number because the site was down (I know, I know, I should know it by heart, lol). Is there anything I can do in a few days after everything settles down to get it corrected?

email [email protected] and she can update for you.

#126 5 years ago
    Quoted from extraballingtmc:

Anywhere to see how long list is aNd your place?

It will be posted on the site once we get through the initial invites and it slows down.

The waitlist is a manual process, so updating it every time an invite is accepted is a bit of a pain.

#127 5 years ago
    Quoted from ThePinballCo-op:

I got a receipt. My card was charged, I can see it on my account. I have one of those QR code things to scan when I get there.
    Everything seems legit.
    When would I find out if it was a mitake? I already booked a place to stay based on this going through.

you can email [email protected] to confirm

#152 5 years ago
    Quoted from plankalkul:

So for Pinburgh 2020, if the PAPA facility is up and running, ... could this be the last David L. Lawrence Pinburgh?

We are contractually obligated to the DLCC for 2019 and 2020.

#153 5 years ago
    Quoted from kermit24:

Yep. First batch of waitlist emails "its your turn, buy now" went out around 1:15pm Saturday. I imagine we could see some more emails shortly. @ninjadoug would know that info for sure.

I don't actually handle the waitlist but I know the first batch has gone out already. At this point people are getting 48 hours to claim their ticket, so I imagine every other day a batch will go out until we are at capacity.

#188 5 years ago
    Quoted from extraballingtmc:

How about a list update?
    Or at least tell us if the 1000 tix sold out?

Last update I have was 972 players and we are awaiting some responses from folks on the waitlist to continue to fill up. There are over 500 names currently on the waitlist. Mark should have a list posted in a few days.

#202 5 years ago
    Quoted from EmLover1970:

This was what I wrote to them BEFORE that reply:
    "Hello again,
    So, as I wrote in my first email, my friends and I accidentally bought two tickets for the same person.
    Am I to understand that I am able to change the name on a Pinburgh ticket to someone else?
    As there are no refunds, and as a third person needs a ticket, I'm perfectly happy to do that."

You cannot change a Pinburgh entry to another person. Refunds are available, however not 100%

The refund policy is listed at the right side of this page: https://replayfx.org/competitions/pinburgh/

#214 5 years ago
    Quoted from dannylite:

I imagine there were a lot of these shenanigans going on this year after last year's quick sellout. Hopefully people get burned on the 25% and just focus on buying a single ticket next year so the rest of us without magic fingers can purchase an entry. refreshed at noon_sold out_bitter.

If you bought more than one ticket in your name, the refund policy would apply.

Once again this year, more single tickets were purchased than any multiple.

#215 5 years ago
    Quoted from Shapeshifter:

Deleting a ticket or two when they are in the basket, would sure make things easier. Not possible to do that this year.

Nope. If you take 5 tickets off the availability list, then you're buying 5 tickets.

#251 5 years ago
    Quoted from epthegeek:

Saying that it went to 200 is a political-spin type way of looking at it. Sure, the player that started at about 200 got into the tournament, but the waitlist didn't actually "move" that far. It moved about 60. Anything after that is a big gamble, and I'd expect even more low-number players to take the risk and show up this year so it won't be as good of a bet if you're high on the list again.

Last year we did let in more than 60 people off of the waitlist. I’m not sure how far down it went but we issued 100+ refunds.

#252 5 years ago
    Quoted from Gov:

What is the best email to use to contact somebody about getting my name fixed on the list? My player number is next to somebody else’s name. My ticket has my name and correct info on it tho.

Use the contact form on the webpage: https://replayfx.org/contact-us/

#258 5 years ago
    Quoted from AndyJr:

if someone is already registered as a player and is still on the waiting list with the same name, does he have to register with the name he entered on the waiting list or can he change the name during registration or will the entry on the waiting list be deleted?

The name cannot be changed from the waitlist name. If you need the name removed, let me know.

3 weeks later
    #286 5 years ago
    Quoted from MacroMegas:

when will the game list be revealed?

Official bank reveal will be sometime in June. There will be 384 games used in Pinburgh this year.

#295 5 years ago
    Quoted from AndyJr:

will there be another update of the players and waiting list here soon? there are still duplicate names in the players list, just like in the waiting list.
    it would also be interesting if the 16 still open places were filled.
    sorry if i'm bothering you, but i'd just like to know if there's anything moving in the lists.

The waitlist is updated about once per week.

#296 5 years ago
    Quoted from pinmanic:

Last year it was unbelevable for me that there was not even one "pinball-part seller" at the show. There were many stands selling arcade and different game stuff, of course also stands by selling pinball machines. Will there be a "pinball part seller" this year?

Cointaker was there last year. I don't have anything to do with vendors, but I'll see what I can find out.

1 month later
    #313 4 years ago
    Quoted from chuckwurt:

Where was the stuck ball?!?

Most likely in the cabinet.

1 month later
    #322 4 years ago
    Quoted from Pinzap:

And an unrelated question... is there a pickup location again like last year for wristbands/registration info? I know the line was quite long in the morning last year and I thought I read somewhere this was being addressed somehow.

There will be offsite pickup available the day before the show. Details are being finalized and will be announced soon.

#329 4 years ago
    Quoted from epthegeek:

Pre-registration check in has always been checking in for the tournament and getting your show access bits (lanyard, wrist band, whatever) if pre-paid -- every year so far that it's been at the current location.

This.

Do yourself a favor and buy your show tickets online ahead of time, then you can just pick everything up at the pre-reg location.

#351 4 years ago
    Quoted from GravitaR:

Really hoping the pre-reg pick-up spot isn't in the middle of downtown and instead at the new ReplayFX/PAPA HQ location.
    One can dream.

New HQ is outside of the city and not really a good option for most.

#352 4 years ago
    Quoted from Whysnow:

90% the same as last year would be my guess

Nope. All new banks.

#353 4 years ago
    Quoted from Pinzap:

Not to mention watching Bowden get his ass kicked by more games in one day than any person alive!!

Working on it now!

1 week later
    #381 4 years ago
    Quoted from KingBW:

I want to get some time in on Wonka.

Thanks to our friends at JJP we will have both a Wonka and Pirates at the event.

#382 4 years ago
    Quoted from Beyndtstng:

One thing that was lacking last year were pens. Can one out of four people bring a pen? A few of my games were held up for this reason and there was some intense bartering going on between groups for one. How about the organizers give out a nice pen instead of a medallion for going 12-0? Haha

We had 1000 pens at the desk before the first round and they were all gone before the end of round 1. Apparently many people took more than one.

#383 4 years ago
    Quoted from Whysnow:

Bring multiple sets of shoes. Wear a different pair each day.
    Helps with foot soreness

This. I am there All day, every day, from Monday through the following Monday for clean up. I take 3 pairs of shoes with me every year and rotate them.

#392 4 years ago
    Quoted from shimoda:

478 people still on the waiting list. Think this is a big thing?

Fun fact, once the wait list hit 500 people, we turned off the ability to sign up for the wait list!

1 week later
    #423 4 years ago
    Quoted from mrboboto:

and also, will kickback be having another knockout Wednesday night before Pinburgh? It was great fun last year.

The kickback Wednesday KO will be happening.

#429 4 years ago

Pinburgh 2019 - What you need to know...

#431 4 years ago
    Quoted from AUKraut:

It would be nice to have this info on some kind of document or website as well so that people can print it out for reference.....

Most of the information from the video is available in the Pinburgh rules or on the ReplayFX website.

#452 4 years ago
    Quoted from Jarson:

Can you buy your ReplayFX ticket at the early Pinburgh check-in the night before?

No. You can pick up a ticket, but you cannot purchase one.

Buy online the day before and avoid having to purchase on Thursday before the show would be my advice.

#459 4 years ago
    Quoted from LOTR_breath:

Here's a blast from the past. Layout of the 2nd Pinburgh at the old PAPA facility.[quoted image]

Only 54 banks! Pathetic!

#487 4 years ago
    Quoted from zaki:

nope, no seminars. disappointing. i wrote them them. they said those are gone and the air bouncy houses for kids are gone. bummer for my kid

Seminars are gone because they were mostly sparsely attended. Bouncy houses gone beacuse the floor space was needed for Pinburgh expansion / other things you'll see when you get here.

#492 4 years ago

Pinburgh 2019 games.

Picture1 (resized).jpgPicture1 (resized).jpg
    #525 4 years ago
    Quoted from misterschu:

who's got juicy deets on the VIP lounge?

What do you want to know?

#526 4 years ago
    Quoted from kermit24:

Word on the street is that a distributor has confirmed it will be there. Probably in the vendor area, but worth checking. I know two years ago a newly announced Star Wars made it into one of the banks.

I can confirm Jurassic Park is currently not in a Pinburgh bank.

#529 4 years ago
    Quoted from epthegeek:

I'm guessing "anything about it" would suffice - has there been any information about what it is or what it entails released other than 'it will exist' ?

The lounge itself will have seating/room for all the VIPs. It is located near the Pinburgh desk. It does not have a ferris wheel.

#534 4 years ago
    Quoted from Gritty:

Is there a list of vendors that will be there in the marketplace?

The ReplayFX app has a list. I don't believe it has made it over to the website.

#535 4 years ago
    Quoted from ahanson:

How will Pinburgh check in work with multiple people on a Showclix ticket? Do they each scan the QR code? It looks like there's only one for everyone. I saw earlier that you can't check other people in but I wasn't sure how that would work with the single QR code.

People are allowed to pickup tickets for themselves and for people they have personally purchased tickets for.

#536 4 years ago
    Quoted from ninjadoug:

Most of the information from the video is available in the Pinburgh rules or on the ReplayFX website.

The yearly Pinburgh newsletter went out today. If you didn't get it, you can see it here: https://mailchi.mp/5a9a93769759/pinburgh-2019-what-you-need-to-know

#541 4 years ago
    Quoted from wesman:

The Gary Stern one my friend and I attended last year, had nearly every seat filled.
    The Brian Colin one also had a pretty decent amount of folks, even though both of these were in open areas where volume and outside distractions were major issues for enjoyment.
    This really stinks.
    I'm not a competitive player, I have many of the retro games and systems in the arcade area, and sadly being around so many incredible games has me more walking around them than playing them. As a highly attuned introvert, it's just way too much stimulation to take things in properly.
    That's why I enjoy and love so much, guest panels. My friend and I drove to Midwest Gaming Show for the first time this year, solely to take in panels and meet panelists just for one evening.
    I do hope you reconsider for next year, as otherwise it's a phenomenal event, but even as a diehard pinhead, there will be considerably less for my friend and I to enjoy, sans guest speakers.

I wouldn’t say they are gone for good. Just gone for this year.

#552 4 years ago
    Quoted from Myles32:

Does anyone know if they did a video again like last year having Steve Bowden playing 1 ball on every game in the tournament ?

Couldn't get it lined up this year with Steve, unfortunately.

#557 4 years ago
    Quoted from joefox22:

Has the waitlist stopped being updated because its not need to or because its too close to the event date?

Once we are about a week out, the waitlist is no longer updated as prep and moving is in full swing.

#640 4 years ago
    Quoted from Whysnow:

maybe they have more free play this year?
    Still lots, but a wild guess is last year there were 150-200ish in regular free play pinball
    400ish in Pinburgh
    I am sure someone will correct me on specifics but the majority are used for tourney play.
    still a blast and TONS to do

There will be over 600 pins at the show. 388 used in Pinburgh.

The vast majority free up Friday night after the last Pinburgh round.

#665 4 years ago
    Quoted from wesman:

Stupid question, so if I show up at noon tomorrow, they'll be about 200 pins for freeplay, and arcade games, and consoles and such around, as well as the new Stern JP?

Outside of Pinburgh there will be 200+ pins, 400+ full size arcades (pins not included), thousands of console games, hundreds of board games, music, lasers and more!

#723 4 years ago
    Quoted from John_I:

Thanks. Just seems funny that the biggest tournament of the year just has one day of streaming. Not to mention that 99.9% of Pinside seems clueless that the tournament is even going on. Right now Keith Elwin is in first place out of 1000 people who started yesterday morning. Greatest pinball player of all time. Oh well, looking forward to seeing Keith and Eric and others play tomorrow.

Staffing the streaming booth for production is a difficult task, especially for qualifying when every single player is playing.

#759 4 years ago
    Quoted from Chitownpinball:

I got a day rate I could discount to do the production. Only way i could come is if i am working. Id be super jealous the whole time, lol.

Is the discount $0?

Most of our production staff are volunteers.

#766 4 years ago
    Quoted from Chitownpinball:

Just offered so you could stream more, whatevs.

Sorry, I meant my comment as a joke. No disrespect was intended.

#767 4 years ago
    Quoted from MrBally:

I think he's interested in the minority portion of the production staff which are not volunteers.
    Not that you invited him into that group......

No disrespect was intended by my comment. All of the production staff currently is volunteer.

#783 4 years ago
    Quoted from Whysnow:

The main con is the really bad PA system which just echoes in the hall and sounds like the peanuts teacher. It is super loud, distracting and disrespectful to be in the audio space of 80% of your players (b c d and e playoffs are going on while a playoff commentators are blasting in their space).

We started this last year and improved the audio this year. There is still more work to be done, but we've received so much positive feedback on this change I don't think we will abandon this concept.

We thought about moving the B,C,D, and E finalists out towards the front of the Pinburgh area, farther away from the main stage, but I think the risk of a non-tournament guest wandering into the area out front and disrupting the event is rather high.

#784 4 years ago
    Quoted from Rondogg:

I wasn't at the event so I didn't hear the announcers in the hall. All I kept thinking was that it was disrespectful of the A finalists to have the announcers yapping away at their play or speculating as to which shots to hit. If it was booming to the other level competitors I can't imagine why they'd keep doing it. Everything looked great from home. They moved the player camera to the front so it shows the audience as a background which was nice. The lighting was great but it was better last year and even the TD onstage cleaned up a bit and looked less slothlike. They even had a good mix of on air commentators, much better this year.

We've done the PA thing two years in a row now, and the feedback we have received from tournament players and non-tournament players has been tremendous.

Part of what we try to do at ReplayFX/Pinburgh is to increase the spectacle and production value for the in-house viewer and elevate the tournament finals at the same time and attract sponsors to our sport. The PA system is part of this.

Also, I'm glad I was less sloth-like this year!

#834 4 years ago
    Quoted from epthegeek:

Tell that to the guy who asked me to not write down our scores while standing at the game we just finished playing because I was in his field of vision.

I would, if you would advise a TD of the situation.

#835 4 years ago
    Quoted from MrBally:

Wait until the day one of the top 10 A players have some bad games and get dumped into B. You'll see a rule change. Likely on the spot.

This wouldn't happen currently BECAUSE of our division restrictions.

Also, I would never change a rule 'on the spot'.

#861 4 years ago
    Quoted from Whysnow:

Seriously, just look into some sort of short wave rf system.

From our perspective, this would defeat the purpose of playing the audio into the hall if there was a barrier to hearing it.

#862 4 years ago
    Quoted from bladerunner:

My 2 dineros about this post are that as this event is so well attended, I wished that hopefully there will be more focus going forward on Pinball as a whole and not just the competition. I still think like in most hobbies, and in pinball too, it is having more people participate that will grow the hobby.

Could you give me some more detail on this feedback? What does focusing on pinball as a whole entail?

#889 4 years ago
    Quoted from Whysnow:

then maybe a relay system with smaller speakers placed in better ways. Overall lower volume to not distract other players, but placed in better positions (where people are actually watching the stream)

We improved it this year (over last) and we will improve again next year once we have our budget set and money allocated.

As far as standards go... I would put the Pinburgh standards up against any any tournament.

#890 4 years ago
    Quoted from kguenther6:

Anyone know how far down the wait list that got in? I heard a lot of names read off. Just curious what the highest wait list number was that made it.

I don't know the highest number that made it in, but we took 40+ off the waitlist the day of.

#891 4 years ago
    Quoted from valgalder:

The dedication of the techs was incredible. I would have never expected to see free play games getting board work or soldering other parts done later on a Sunday when the show is pretty much wrapping up anyway, but I saw it several times. Replay FX is the best.

ALL of the techs are heroes!

#892 4 years ago
    Quoted from Guidotorpedo:

Well..... I don’t think the goal of replay is to be a sale show. Imagine how much of a pain in the dick it would be to get a game out of the convention center into a vehicle, while the show was going on. I will admit, I was disappointed not to see sales representation for JJP or spooky. I’d imagine with cointakers booth, they could just take orders that would be drop shipped from stern, or if you bought a demo, you could remove it on Sunday. Just my guess.

There are union rules which prohibit removal of games, and dock usage from the floor while the show is in progress, so this would be VERY difficult. Luckily, because the Replay Foundation owns 900+ games we don't have to rely on loaner games of unknown quality or quantity and our techs can work on the games all year to get them ready.

There is some buying and selling that occurs during the show, but most of it is prearranged parking lot swaps.

#893 4 years ago
    Quoted from misterschu:

Regarding VIP, there was no indication of a VIP check-in line on Thursday morning.. The check-in desk seemed to have individual lines for each volunteer checking people in, but then it actually looked like some lines fed to two volunteers, while other lines fed to one volunteer. It's much much more efficient to have one long line feeding to any volunteer who becomes available. Also feels better from an attendee perspective, imo, as you're not concerned that you accidentally joined the line with the slow volunteers/slow attendees.
    Anyways, I waited in a line at random, got to the front and checked in, only to learn that to get my VIP bag I needed to speak to one specific person, in a different line. The VIP area was also not well marked.. it would be nice to have it more accessible than seemingly shoved into a remote corner. Would it be possible to make it accessible from outside the Pinburgh area as well?
    Overall the show and tournament was fantastic!

I already have some notes from some other folks on how to elevate that experience in 2020. We knew 2019 would be a learning year for us with the VIP section.

#895 4 years ago
    Quoted from Guidotorpedo:

I think what he’s saying is make more pins available for public play and not so much for the tournament. Not sure how you’d pull that one off without killing yourselves and/or compromising the tournament.

There were something like 220 pins available in the freeplay area at all times. I think that would still make it one of the largest free play areas of any show... then we add in another 300+ Friday night.

But, every year we've had more and more pins and vids available in the freeplay area, I'm sure 2020 will be no different.

#918 4 years ago
    Quoted from CrazyLevi:

Bring back the confetti...

Confetti was on the plan this year until the CC told us it would be $100/hr to clean it up. Bye, confetti!

The production of the event increases every year. Budget is our biggest restriction, but I guarantee you will see a lot of what you are talking about in the next few years.

The other side of the hall and what it attracts to the show will start attracting bigger things to the Pinburgh side. Stay tuned!

#919 4 years ago
    Quoted from CrazyLevi:

their first taste of the joys of self-scalping, I don't see why they wouldn't consider it.

I'm not sure what this means, can you elaborate?

#939 4 years ago
    Quoted from CrazyLevi:

a percentage could go to Project Pinball or pretty much any charity.

Got ya. Replay Foundation is a 501.3c charity, so keeping us going would be great!

#967 4 years ago
    Quoted from Rondogg:

I shouldn't have to kick around to find out when events were going to be streamed.

We will keep this in mind for next year. In the meantime if you subscribe to our twitch and Youtube channels you can get notifications whenever we go live.

#968 4 years ago
    Quoted from NeilMcRae:

But I would suggest getting a list of folks and properly auditioning them and training/scripting them and training and testing them on the games on the stage (which one would suppose are known well before the show?) so they knew all the games (both this year and last year at the WIPT esp this had room for improvement)

Contact me at [email protected]. We can always use the help and any advice.

I have a list of games I'd 'like' to use ahead of time, but how they hold up during Thursday and Friday REALLY determines what games were on the stage, in all finals banks, and used for WIPT. We have a tech app where we can log all rulings, stuck balls, malfunctions... etc to be able to track machine reliability. I do not give this list out, as most people who would be doing commentary are also potential announcers.

#969 4 years ago
    Quoted from Whysnow:

I honestly think you could charge 2x as much for the pinburgh ticket so long as the extra goes to improvements and NOT just more prize money for KME. (I mean the event is great, but I would rather see you guys just leave the already huge prize funds where they are and spend any extra on things to make the experience even better for the masses)

This year, the extra cash we generated went towards more games, parts to fix the games, and more techs mostly. The adding and prepping for 1k players was a strain.

#971 4 years ago
    Quoted from kguenther6:

I would like to go to a couple big pinball events a year but this is expensive.

We are very aware of the costs involved when setting ticket prices or charging for anything. That said, Pinburgh is the most expensive tournament to run, ever.

#972 4 years ago
    Quoted from DRDAVE:

An old cap across the tilt mech could cause random tilts. Every old school SS game should have it's tilt cap replaced with new to alleviate this known issue.

Our Hot Tip is an EM machine and not the SS version.

When called over for a 'phantom' tilt, The TDs investigate as much as they can in the live game and then maybe even play a few balls when the game is over. If no issue is detected, it’s play on.

I specifically had a player report a phantom tilt this year, watched all the way through to his next turn and then watched him shake the game repeatedly until it tilted again. He then turned towards me and said ‘I barley touched it’, when in fact that was not the case at all.

You also can’t rely 100% on other players opinions of a tilt because some may feel social pressure to say ‘yeah, man you got robbed’ because they don’t want to be the bad guy.

I'm not saying tilts are 100% perfect, but I know that every time I was called to a game because of that issue this weekend, the bob was still swinging when I got there minutes after it happened.

#974 4 years ago
    Quoted from Tilt:

sure that some of the top players in the world have a back door to tickets before they are released to common folk.

Nope. There are a few tickets set aside for people who help the event but none set aside because someone is a top player.

#975 4 years ago
    Quoted from Tilt:

Can you picture Trent sponsoring the already planned VIP room, and not get a ticket to the tourney?

Trent wasn't even a sponsor to the VIP area until the Wednesday before the event.

#976 4 years ago
    Quoted from CrazyLevi:

Raising the ticket prices / selling some at a premium isn't to "keep people out," it's to help pay the bills. None of us are privy to the financials but it's incredibly expensive to put on an event like this, and of course you have people like me clamoring for more money to be spent on production. I personally think that spending more on the production and adding significant pizazz to the pinball side of the event would do more to "draw people to pinball" than keeping prices low.

^ This.

#977 4 years ago
    Quoted from epthegeek:

Wacky thought: Make the VIP sit-down-lounge a fenced in area out in the hallway accessible by the front section doors, so that it'd be quieter. Not sure the facility would allow that though, and you'd have to police another door (shrug).

Not so wacky!

#978 4 years ago
    Quoted from westofrome:

water cooler and/or coffee machine.

Right now this is a no-go due to convention center rules.

#979 4 years ago
    Quoted from desertT1:

I'd be curious to know if there was a pattern of banks running that long. Last year there was a World Poker Tour that still had post rubber in it and that was fixed later on.
    I actually went to the window area and rested for 45 minutes after one of my rounds. Was really nice. I can't imagine being in a group that went the full time more than once.

TONS of play testing is done to get the bank timings down right. We only adjusted one bank all weekend.

#984 4 years ago
    Quoted from desertT1:

I'm not saying anyone is at fault for long rounds this year.

We started late due to a registration snafu. I think after we got that delay worked out all the rounds started on time.

#985 4 years ago
    Quoted from Sleepy:

For example, I think almost everybody would be happy with a system where the top 40 players in the A division automatically qualify to purchase tickets for the following year.

I would not be happy with that system.

Quoted from Sleepy:

I am assuming players like the Sharpe brothers, Keith Elwin, etc. might fall under the "helping the event" category, but obviously am not privy to this type of information, which I have no problem with. The top players and influential pinball people have done more than I will ever be able to do for the pinball community.

I personally have never given a ticket to anyone for being an 'influencer'. A player lent us 30+ games this year to use... that got them a ticket because without that, there wouldn't have been 1k players. Folks that help tremendously all year long with Replay can qualify as well. You must actually PHYSICALLY help the event to a tremendous degree, not just be a pinball ambassador or volunteer for the weekend. I think we gave out 5 tickets this way for the 2019 field.

#986 4 years ago
    Quoted from desertT1:

I imagine there are a lot of new bank combinations this year.

All of the banks were new this year.

For the most part the banks that ran longer this year were ones that had mechanical issues.

#993 4 years ago
    Quoted from bladerunner:

Doug, are you going to upload pics of the event somewhere? Ty

I don't have any pictures, I've seen some on facebook and our photographers will be posting some at replayfx.org, just not sure when.

#994 4 years ago
    Quoted from Whysnow:

I did laugh at the Big Hurt bank that was called the big turd bank. I dont remember all the games but remember everyone that got it groaned, lol.

That would've been: Big Hurt, Zig Zag, City Slicker, and Buck Rogers!

#1001 4 years ago
    Quoted from TomGWI:

I was told by a TD you have 60 seconds to play in finals after a tilt.

This is in the PAPA/IFPA rules.

#1015 4 years ago
    Quoted from pins4life33:

install all of the machine with earplugs

And there were only 428 games in Pinburgh this year to worry about installing them on!

#1020 4 years ago
    Quoted from pins4life33:

Take it as you will advice is free.

Oh, I'm thankful for all the feedback and help we get to pull this off.

I still have to conduct some more play testing with the earplugs on a game to see if I like how they affect the play.

#1027 4 years ago
    Quoted from soren:

But still allow for warnings and not have any nudge to go warning-warning-tilt.

This is actually my fear and why I need to test it. For sure, there are times where I want a nudge to go warning-warning-tilt and if this deadens the swing enough, then it would not be possible.

#1037 4 years ago
    Quoted from GravitaR:

Suggestion for 2020. Please bring back the Noodle/Stir Fry food vendor. Was nice having a healthier choice for a meal.

That was the concession vendor at the DLCC. We will have this conversation with them!

1 week later
    #1039 4 years ago
    Quoted from Jarson:

How long till Pinburgh and Intergalactic results get posted to IFPA?
    Asking for a friend....

Should be posted soonish.

#1040 4 years ago
    Quoted from pins4life33:

It is a big job I agree, but you are already working on them anyway, you have a full year to do the installs on them. I know it is an easier thing to say then do but throwing out suggestions out there to help make things easier for your techs, tds in the future. Take it as you will advice is free.

We have a few game rentals coming up. I'm going to try the earplug mod on a few games before the games are moved and check them throughout the event.

1 week later
    #1047 4 years ago
    Quoted from 2FlippedOut41Mo:

I've already set up my E-Wallet account, but it still says the balance is zero.

https://replayfx.org/prizes/

E-wallet accounts are funded 60 days after the completion of the event.

Does anyone know when ReplaxFX or the IFPA will post the final results from Pinburgh 2019?

Hopefully the results will be posted next week.

but I'm not sure how much money I have coming.

https://replayfx.org/competitions/pinburgh/#1527540919153-0562db9a-f197

2 weeks later
    #1058 4 years ago

Final results have been submitted to IFPA for Pinburgh.

Quoted from Whysnow:

It is a very logical question to wonder why the largest event with the most automation takes more than other events big and small that are not so automated with a slick software.

With the 1k participants, people putting in the wrong IFPA number, spelling their own names wrong, leaving off modifiers (USA), the way the IFPA system handles ties, finals software having issues... there are a lot of reasons why an event of this size takes a longer than the average event.

I actually got so frustrated with the way the IFPA records ties I just fixed everything else and sent the results to Josh in a spreadsheet.

I appreciate everyone's patience. Believe me, I try to make improvements to this every year. This is also a pain point for me!

#1061 4 years ago
    Quoted from Whysnow:

I agree that the root issue here is the IFPA side of reporting (esp the ties)

The ties are totally on them

The rest is usually up to the people when they register, as well as the time I can allot to sorting it all out after the event (I have a real job that pays my bills).

1 week later
    #1078 4 years ago
    Quoted from kguenther6:

Awesome. Hopefully the prize money will all be handed out soon.

If you've completed the ipayout information, your money was deposited on 9/19/19.

2 months later
    #1084 4 years ago

Pinburgh satellite tournaments announced today!

'https://replayfx.org/competitions/pinburgh/#satellite'

#1087 4 years ago
    Quoted from chuckwurt:

Is there a way to apply to become a future satellite location?

There may be, we have to see how it goes this year. Feedback has been very positive so far.

3 weeks later
    #1090 4 years ago

The creator put them on thingaverse: https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:3789489

Free to produce for your own use!

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider ninjadoug.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/-official-replayfx-pinburgh-2019-thread-?tu=ninjadoug and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.