Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 1,094 posts
  • 189 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 3 years ago by NeilMcRae
  • Topic is favorited by 51 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

20190929_084030 (resized).png
    DDD62825-F3FE-4491-B34C-0E93BCE1119F (resized).jpeg
    A0E6DCE7-DB92-4B70-A2DF-0B23C3BDEA98 (resized).jpeg
    78097B78-F8E4-4F46-99EF-CE637EB7BD20 (resized).jpeg
    AF8339A4-B123-42A7-87A8-57414FD4EB29.png
    58EE0691-34BB-4992-87F6-F6F69AB5F166 (resized).png
    2B91CD0B-2B5B-45F1-8550-55B94F37D641 (resized).jpeg
    20190806_111710 (resized).jpg
    20190805_173759 (resized).jpg
    IMG_2279 (resized).jpg
    B502CF63-4390-4FD9-82D7-6249FC7E50A3 (resized).jpeg
    15650520855936688136096203169929 (resized).jpg
    DE12DF17-1C99-4C68-9EB8-C9906DEE1969 (resized).jpeg
    pasted_image (resized).png
    1243851E-69C9-471E-B564-C537EBD1C7AC (resized).jpeg
    IMG_1169_2 (resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider misterschu.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#171 5 years ago
    Quoted from Blackbeard:

DUmb question, but can you randomly just show up off the street and play pins?
    Or is this just for people competing?

Pinburgh tkes place concurrently with the ReplayFX convention (Thursday - Sunday). From the start of ReplayFX there are over 100 pinball machines and 100s of video arcade machines available for free play inside the show, just buy a ReplayFX show ticket.

Pinburgh starts on Thursday and finishes on Saturday. Once competition is finished on Friday and Saturday's final banks have been set up, the majority of machines that were reserved for Pinburgh are opened up for freeplay to the rest of ReplayFX attendees.

So if you are not planning on going for multiple days, Saturday and Sunday will have the most free play pinball machines available.

#203 5 years ago
    Quoted from EmLover1970:

This was what I wrote to them BEFORE that reply:
    "Hello again,
    So, as I wrote in my first email, my friends and I accidentally bought two tickets for the same person.
    Am I to understand that I am able to change the name on a Pinburgh ticket to someone else?
    As there are no refunds, and as a third person needs a ticket, I'm perfectly happy to do that."

Pinburgh has an offline list with your name and IFPA ID. When you pick up your wristband/lanyard, they check your name off that list, it doesn't actually matter what your ticket generated by showclix says.

#227 5 years ago
    Quoted from epthegeek:

It's only 980 so far, even with the duplicates that are included.

Only 980 tickets were sold on Saturday. PAPA has stated that 20 tickets (10 pairs) had been pulled from general sale to be provided as fundraiser or event prizes. see this link https://replayfx.org/competitions/pinburgh/#1550622879300-30944ca9-2c02

#243 5 years ago

epthegeek I think the question is how far up from the day the waitlist was posted. There's also the consideration of whether player Waitlist 100 passed on his pinburgh ticket when he finally wouldve made if off the list.

3 months later
    #342 4 years ago
    Quoted from Whysnow:

90% the same as last year would be my guess

I would imagine more game-duration testing has occurred over the past year... also there are likely many, many configurations where you get equal duration banks... not just the one configuration from last year.

#363 4 years ago
    Quoted from troxel:

Any good sources to learn more about the tournament and what to expect? I get the general rules of the tournament, but tips about making the tournament go smoother

Do not be shy about asking for a TD ruling, better safe than sorry. Bowen will probably warn us all at the beginning against playing another player's ball... but it's going to happen so try not to make it you.

Happened to me on Cleopatra last year. first time on the game, I'd only been in the hobby for 6 months, wasn't familiar with the era of gottlieb etc etc. Player 2 ball drains and she walks away from the machine. I walk up and there's a ball in the plunger lane. I'm a little confused by the lights on the playfield... and all the lights on the backglass look the same (no clear indication of which player is up)... but i know there are older games that kind of randomize what lights are lit (golden arrow, for instance) so I assume i'm good to go. Plunge the ball and points are being added to player 2. get a 0 on the game because of the malfunction of not advancing player. (though someone suggested that first era gottlieb SSs have a minute chance of ball save at random???)

#373 4 years ago
    Quoted from epthegeek:

Lots of nice seating provided by the show at round tables all over the hall. Nice benches outside the hall and on the walkway through/above the main hall if you want to get out of the noise. But many people do also bring folding stools & chairs.

Speaking of... Any updated details on the VIP area?

2 weeks later
    #413 4 years ago
    Quoted from TomGWI:

Have the banks been released yet?

Deadpool, Knockout, Twilight Zone, Royal Flush (SS)

#500 4 years ago

Carousel?

Or the pinburgh VIP lounge is on a giant lazy susan.

#523 4 years ago

who's got juicy deets on the VIP lounge?

1 week later
    #816 4 years ago
    Quoted from thirdedition:

If people are worried about not getting to play for two days, have two days of qualifiers that go directly into finals. If you don't make it into your restricted final you end up wherever you are supposed to be on the list

How are Divisions made in this scenario? Is it the top 200 players overall divided into groups of 40? Is it finishers 1-40, 200-240, 400-440, etc?

I don't really see the downside of being bumped down a division due to tiebreakers or restricted players. The WPPR difference (2018) between last place in A, and first place in B was .02, the difference between middle of A and bottom of A was 1.5. These aren't very significant differences. If you were middle of A versus middle of B it's a difference of less than 3 points, which is only a ~40 rank difference if you're sitting at rank 1000. The upside is you have a MUCH better chance of getting to play on Saturday in B than in A. As in all things pinball, it just comes down to: play better. If you got one more point on Thursday you don't have to worry about being bumped from your "rightful" division.

#821 4 years ago
    Quoted from thirdedition:

Then the people who didn't make it into the correct divisions should "play better".

Right, that would be the correct usage, but that's not the current rules.

Quoted from MrBally:

Wait until the day one of the top 10 A players have some bad games and get dumped into B. You'll see a rule change. Likely on the spot.

The top 10 A players are restricted to A, by merit of being top 100 in WPPR ranking.

#826 4 years ago
    Quoted from Grandnational007:

I was genuinely saddened that he was, I'm assuming, bumped to "A",

If he had been bumped to A he would not have been assigned to your group. All bumping (due to restrictions and tie-breaks was done before groups were made)

#880 4 years ago

Regarding VIP, there was no indication of a VIP check-in line on Thursday morning.. The check-in desk seemed to have individual lines for each volunteer checking people in, but then it actually looked like some lines fed to two volunteers, while other lines fed to one volunteer. It's much much more efficient to have one long line feeding to any volunteer who becomes available. Also feels better from an attendee perspective, imo, as you're not concerned that you accidentally joined the line with the slow volunteers/slow attendees.

Anyways, I waited in a line at random, got to the front and checked in, only to learn that to get my VIP bag I needed to speak to one specific person, in a different line. The VIP area was also not well marked.. it would be nice to have it more accessible than seemingly shoved into a remote corner. Would it be possible to make it accessible from outside the Pinburgh area as well?

Overall the show and tournament was fantastic!

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider misterschu.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/-official-replayfx-pinburgh-2019-thread-?tu=misterschu and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.