Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 1,094 posts
  • 189 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 3 years ago by NeilMcRae
  • Topic is favorited by 51 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

20190929_084030 (resized).png
    DDD62825-F3FE-4491-B34C-0E93BCE1119F (resized).jpeg
    A0E6DCE7-DB92-4B70-A2DF-0B23C3BDEA98 (resized).jpeg
    78097B78-F8E4-4F46-99EF-CE637EB7BD20 (resized).jpeg
    AF8339A4-B123-42A7-87A8-57414FD4EB29.png
    58EE0691-34BB-4992-87F6-F6F69AB5F166 (resized).png
    2B91CD0B-2B5B-45F1-8550-55B94F37D641 (resized).jpeg
    20190806_111710 (resized).jpg
    20190805_173759 (resized).jpg
    IMG_2279 (resized).jpg
    B502CF63-4390-4FD9-82D7-6249FC7E50A3 (resized).jpeg
    15650520855936688136096203169929 (resized).jpg
    DE12DF17-1C99-4C68-9EB8-C9906DEE1969 (resized).jpeg
    pasted_image (resized).png
    1243851E-69C9-471E-B564-C537EBD1C7AC (resized).jpeg
    IMG_1169_2 (resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider kguenther6.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#281 5 years ago

Another update to the wait list last night. Looks like about 5 people moved off the list. I was 2nd on the list and got my ticket yesterday.

1 month later
    #300 4 years ago

Wait list was updated Friday. Looks like 1 spot moved off the list?

3 months later
    #589 4 years ago
    Quoted from Grandnational007:

Huh, that's pretty cool, assuming they physically fit with the added height of the circuit breaker component in tight areas, and it's not a DE/Sega game with pot metal quality fuse holders that are broken off and have had fuses directly soldered to them...
    Seriously, that's pretty awesome, and so simple in its execution.

These are not intended to replace the fuses. They are for debugging pins that keep blowing fuses. This keeps you from going through 20 fuses to find the problem. Use the circuit breaker for testing until the problem is fixed and then go back to the fuses.

1 week later
    #797 4 years ago
    Quoted from stevevt:

You're probably describing the fairist version of the tournament. But I don't see any way it would be as popular or successful as the version we have now.
    In your scenario, I would actually consider either not attending Pinburgh or limiting the number of events I play in to keep from coming into Pinburgh with too high a seed.
    With the current system, we get a handful -- or even a whole lot -- of people who are unhappy being bumped down. But it still sells out in 5 seconds with a bunch of people on the waitlist.

I also got bumped out of A division to be the number 1 seed in B. I made it to the B finals but would rather have been in A and not make the finals than be bumped out of A and play in B finals. Still a great tournament and had a great time. But was disappointed I wasn't able to play in A even though I played better than other A players with restrictions. I would like to see changes made to prevent this but I don't know what it would be.

#800 4 years ago
    Quoted from stevevt:

Not sure how many Pinburghs you've played in, but the organizers have used a bunch of different divisional tiebreaking systems throughout the years. They refine the process. They see how it works in the real world. They take feedback on how to improve.
    I understand the disappointment of not making the A division. I'm glad you still had a good time.

I understand tie breakers might bump me out. But I had a better record than 19 other players that were put in A due to restrictions. So it wasn't just tie breakers that bumped me out as I had a better record than 19 other people that got put into A and not the same record and lost by tie breaker.

#801 4 years ago
    Quoted from chuckwurt:

Yeah you’re right. Hard to find a system that screws no one. That’s for sure.

I agree there is always going to be someone unhappy no matter what system is used. This was my 5th Pinburgh and I will keep coming back. Still the best tournament out there. But disappointing to play better than other people see them advance and when I don't. I will just have to play better next year

#806 4 years ago
    Quoted from stevevt:

I understand.
    Are you against division restrictions on principle, or because they affected you this year?
    If you think Pinburgh would be better with no division restrictions, would you eliminate players who don't play well enough to make the cut line at the end of day 1?
    Would you allow any player to play in any division? What would you say to players who complained that the B (or C or D) division was dominated by players playing below their appropriate skill division? Because that would 100% happen every year.

I'm not sure what the answer is. If you don't put in restrictions then you get sandbagging of players to get into the money. Maybe the best answer is if you are restricted and don't get into your division then you are out the first day. And that would include me next year since I made B finals I will be restricted to B or higher. But then I don't know how IFPA points would be done for those out the first day. There is no easy answer and maybe the restrictions is the best way. There are players that would rather sandbag and get money and other like me that would rather get the chance to play against the best in the world and see how high they can get in the tournament. No easy answer to fix the sandbagging and still put the other players though that played good.

#814 4 years ago
    Quoted from stevevt:

I didn't even mention my results from this year.
    I was B restricted and finished a couple points out of B. So I should have been in C, but ended up near the bottom of B. I bumped someone into the C division who might feel the same way you do. Apologies to this person.

And this might be me next year bumping someone out of B due to restrictions. I would feel bad about that. But even though I was bumped out of A I still think it is the best tournament out there. And if someone can come up with a fair solution to this it would make it even better. I won't let this keep me from coming back next year. I still had a great time and will keep coming back assuming I can get a ticket

#871 4 years ago

Anyone know how far down the wait list that got in? I heard a lot of names read off. Just curious what the highest wait list number was that made it.

#929 4 years ago

Replayfx - $100
    Pinburgh - $130
    Hotel - $800
    Gas - $100 (some have flights that are a lot more)
    Food - $100
    Parking - $40

I would like to go to a couple big pinball events a year but this is expensive. And your talking about raising the prices even more. Your going to start pricing people out of these shows. I'm sure it will still sell out if you raise the prices because there are people with deep pockets that don't have to think twice about paying this amount and still go to a few shows a year. But your going to start pricing some people out. It's not just the price of the event. Travel and lodging is very expensive.

#934 4 years ago
    Quoted from Grandnational007:

I bet that would piss off some people.
    I'm alright financially, better so than many I would guess, but anymore is approaching my teetering point strictly out of principle; now that I've made my pilgrimage to the holy mecca, I may skip out next year and allocate the small fortune I dropped last week to purchasing another B/C list machine.
    Admittedly, this whole hobby is approaching insanity, and I personally overheard many talking about how they won't be able to pay off their credit card bills when they get home...but there they were in Pittsburgh.
    If you're cool with me sending my butler to pick up that extra $20-30 from you to cover me next year, I'll let you fly down in my private helicopter next year Nice seeing you as always.

I agree. We should be encouraging people to get into pinball. Raising prices just because you can does not encourage people. If they need to raise prices to stay profitable that is one thing. But raising them just because you can is another. Pinball as a hobby is expensive enough. We don't need to make it worse just because we can.

#943 4 years ago
    Quoted from yancy:

Agreed, but in this particular case I don't think the problem is lack of interest. Running more tourneys and dirt cheap tourneys, sure. Pinburgh is never going to be very newbie-friendly, because it already costs $230 and sells out in seconds. And that's okay! ...for the biggest tourney in the world, and a major.

From the front page of papa.org:

The goal of the Professional & Amateur Pinball Association is to create and promote the world’s greatest pinball tournaments, encourage friendly competition, and spread enthusiasm for pinball among casual gamers. Toward that end, we have built Pinburgh

Are you saying their mission has changed and Pinburgh is no longer to "spread enthusiasm for pinball among casual gamers"? If that is no longer the case, fine. Charge $1000 a ticket. But if you want to keep the mission then the prices should be kept low.

#947 4 years ago
    Quoted from yancy:

Raising the price a bit more isn't the straw that breaks the camel's back.

Not everyone is talking about raising it a little. Some are talking raising it a lot.

Quoted from Whysnow:

I honestly think you could charge 2x as much for the pinburgh ticket

Quoted from CrazyLevi:

I know for a fact there's plenty of people who would happily pay $300 for their pinburgh 2020 ticket

Quoted from CrazyLevi:

an all-out auction

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Quoted from CrazyLevi:

How do you feel about "keep most low, sell some high?"
    Do you consider the $230 it cost in 2019 to be "low?"

I'm fine with some being high. I just thought one of the great things about Pinburgh was it was a tournament affordable to most and get to play against a lot of great players. If another $20/$30 dollars per ticket is needed to keep this a great event then fine. But if we are raising prices just to keep people out so that richer people can be sure to get a ticket or auctioning the tickets off I think that will no longer make it the great event it currently is.

#952 4 years ago
    Quoted from CrazyLevi:

Raising the ticket prices / selling some at a premium isn't to "keep people out," it's to help pay the bills. None of us are privy to the financials but it's incredibly expensive to put on an event like this, and of course you have people like me clamoring for more money to be spent on production. I personally think that spending more on the production and adding significant pizazz to the pinball side of the event would do more to "draw people to pinball" than keeping prices low.
    Others want to see higher prize pools for all divisions. Others want some of the jankier EMs replaced with good ones, or more games added so the number of participants can rise even higher.
    All of this stuff takes money, so they'd be wise to consider all options.

If raising the prices is needed to make the event better I'm fine with that. But it sounded to me like some people were wanting the prices raised to make tickets more available (i.e. price out some people so they are more likely to get a ticket). I would just like to keep it a little more affordable to people. If you're auctioning off tickets or doubling the price I'm sure it will start pricing people out.

3 weeks later
    #1050 4 years ago
    Quoted from chuckwurt:

What did 40th in A get? Just curious.

$350

3 weeks later
    #1066 4 years ago
    Quoted from daveddd14:

$$$ Received about 6 weeks. Great Job!

You received money? I haven't seen anything yet. I filled out the i-Payout form right after Pinburgh.

#1069 4 years ago

I know of others that haven't been paid yet. I guess it takes a few days to get it done for everyone.

#1070 4 years ago

I just got notified my e-wallet account is ready. But no money in there. I assume it will take a while after the account is set up.

#1073 4 years ago
    Quoted from Capinball:

Pinburgh results have posted to IFPA

Awesome. Hopefully the prize money will all be handed out soon.

#1079 4 years ago
    Quoted from ninjadoug:

If you've completed the ipayout information, your money was deposited on 9/19/19.

I didn't get the email to set mine up until the 20th which is when I set it up. I saw on Tilt forums another payout will go out on Oct 4th. I assume I'll get paid then. Thanks for all you guys do! I know it's a lot of work.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider kguenther6.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/-official-replayfx-pinburgh-2019-thread-?tu=kguenther6 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.