9 months ago

Topic Stats

• 1,083 posts
  • 189 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 6 days ago by DaveH
  • Topic is favorited by 59 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

There have been 51 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

20190929_084030 (resized).png
    DDD62825-F3FE-4491-B34C-0E93BCE1119F (resized).jpeg
    A0E6DCE7-DB92-4B70-A2DF-0B23C3BDEA98 (resized).jpeg
    78097B78-F8E4-4F46-99EF-CE637EB7BD20 (resized).jpeg
    AF8339A4-B123-42A7-87A8-57414FD4EB29.png
    58EE0691-34BB-4992-87F6-F6F69AB5F166 (resized).png
    2B91CD0B-2B5B-45F1-8550-55B94F37D641 (resized).jpeg
    20190806_111710 (resized).jpg
    20190805_173759 (resized).jpg
    IMG_2279 (resized).jpg
    B502CF63-4390-4FD9-82D7-6249FC7E50A3 (resized).jpeg
    15650520855936688136096203169929 (resized).jpg
    DE12DF17-1C99-4C68-9EB8-C9906DEE1969 (resized).jpeg
    pasted_image (resized).png
    1243851E-69C9-471E-B564-C537EBD1C7AC (resized).jpeg
    IMG_1169_2 (resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider flynnibus.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#147 8 months ago
    Quoted from plankalkul:

So for Pinburgh 2020, if the PAPA facility is up and running, ... could this be the last David L. Lawrence Pinburgh? Will Pinburgh split from replay and go home to roost? Is that even possible?

With 1,000 tickets selling out in a combined total of what, 5 seconds, demand is there. I wonder if this is maxed out and this is the way it'll be from now on, or if having the event bigger and bigger every year is desirable

The convention center isn't the limiting factory for Pinburgh.. it's the aspect that actually enables such capacity. And splitting pinburgh out would be a huge blow to ReplayFX... which PAPA had ambitions for besides just hosting pinburgh.

The only way I see your situation happening is if they pull the plug on ReplayFX - and then have to decide how best to host pinburgh.

#201 8 months ago

just email mhs@papa.org and get to the bottom of it with the man himself.

#226 8 months ago
    Quoted from CrazyLevi:

Another thing people don't realize is when they organize these super secret conspiracy cabals to have 8 people all try to buy 5 tickets and then have no idea what to actually do or who to buy tickets for when they actually get 5 tickets in their basket is that you are basically competing against yourselves to get tickets in the first place. I'm not sure it actually works out in your favor mathematically.

No, it only goes against you if your group was not synchronized... so they got tickets, but didn't know what to do with them, or coordinate with their peers so that only one transaction would be done.

It still very much was in your favor mathematically to try to get tickets in the basket since it was more about getting in the very small time window. The more 'buyers' you had, the more opportunities to fit in the gap.

#247 8 months ago
    Quoted from GravitaR:

I was #215 last year on the waitlist and ended up 1-5 away from getting to play on game day. So my 200 estimate was pretty darn good.

Yeah, but not because 200+ people got in... but rather the representation of people waiting to get in on day of from those higher spots on the list was so poor.

Obviously the farterh down the list.. the more gaps in representation there will be.

The most significant number is how many people got in prior to the event.. and how many got in on day of.

The one trend we see is... higher demand, shorter window = less people passing.

Given the waitlist is bigger than ever.. AFTER expanding the field again.. I'd wager we see even less people passing.

4 months later
    #464 3 months ago

2761BB9C-E9C7-48F3-9C01-D3231427DA8C (resized).jpeg

#474 3 months ago
    Quoted from epthegeek:

I could use any pro-tips on parking too. First time driving in myself this year and so I'm a parking-for-the-weekend noob.

The bus station garage is real close to convention center.. and is painless if you just leave it there for the duration. That's where we've always parked when staying at the westin.

Daily parking is available at the convention center garage too. Unsure about overnighting there...

#490 3 months ago
    Quoted from ninjadoug:

Seminars are gone because they were mostly sparsely attended.

When they were good and fresh like having Eugene Jarvis talk.. they were awesome.

What you describe is more 'chicken and the egg' - people won't show up for declining attractions.

#507 3 months ago
    Quoted from cabuford:

We stayed with a friend last year, which was kind of a pain so we're staying at the Westin this year. It says they have onsite parking for $22/day. What's the rate at the bus station? Also is the Westin parking the same deck as the convention center? Should I be worried about it being full? I'm arriving Thursday afternoon.

Westin parking is separate.
    Convention center uses 'event pricing' so pricing varied
    Bus Terminal parking - http://www.pittsburghparking.com/gstc $13/day

Can't recall anyone having capacity issues...

#512 3 months ago
    Quoted from pinmanic:

Does anyone know who will sell pinball parts. I might preorder things which maybe vendor will not bring to Pinburgh.
    Somebody wrote here that there was vendors of parts last year. I did not see any. Only vendor of pinball machines.

Don't expect parts people - you're likely only going to luck out if the people you order from happen to be going themselves.

#569 3 months ago
    Quoted from pinmanic:

Does anyone know which part vendor will be on event?
    I would need 3 of these boards which helps against resetting on WPC https://www.marcospecialties.com/pinball-parts/WPC-PDA12697R

Just reach out to rob kahr directly. I haven't spoken to him about Pinburgh but he may be going. He posts and advertises here on pinside. http://www.kahr.us/daughterboard.html

#674 3 months ago
    Quoted from luckycreature:

Not sure I understand the scoring. first round is almost over and for example one group
    Raymond Davidson has 10-2 for his result
    Wayne Saegar 4-8
    Donna Wai 2-10
    Carmen Barone 8-4
    What does that mean as far as standings go?

Scoring is very simple... It's how many people you beat and how many people you lost to in your individual match (This is match play - not playing against all other games). You and 3 other people are grouped together and play 4 games in a match. You score each game result based on how many people you beat, and how many beat you. Hence, a perfect score is beating all three other players on all four games means a perfect score is 3x4 = 12. So you are 12-0 (12 wins, 0 losses). You play 5 of these matchs a day.

Your standings are always based on your record... keeping it simple, your number of wins is what everyone follows. That's your 'points' loosely.

How ties and groupings work is far more complex... but the important thing to follow is.. how many wins someone has.

After day 1, the field is broken up into divisions.. you only play people in your division on day 2. After day 2, those who are above the line in their division make playoffs.. everyone else is done.

So everyone plays at least 2 days... playoff qualifiers play in day 3.

#680 3 months ago
    Quoted from luckycreature:

Thank you. So all four rounds today get combined into one score correctly. so someone could possibly be 60-0 at the end of the night?

Possible.. but never happens in 2017, top qualifier on day one was 50-10

Remember as people play... they eventually settle into playing people more and more like their skill level. The meat of the pack is actually happy to even be at 50% winning

#777 3 months ago
    Quoted from blueberryjohnson:

Pinburgh streaming is how I discovered top-level pinball videos. I always enjoy it. Thanks to papa for sharing this great tournament online.
    One thing that has confused me is that over the years as the tournament has gotten bigger, pin streaming has become more widespread, and technology has improved, the volume of games filmed seems to have gone down. If you go back to the papa archives I believe you'll find from previous years qualifying and earlier rounds, gameplay from other divisions, and I think even concurrent matches.

Streaming was always based on one set of games at PAPA. As the events grew, they outgrew that 'single space' where streaming is operating from. At pinburgh now.. that is the main stage.

Simply put.. the events have been growing... the streaming rigs and people have not been expanding at the same rates.

#804 3 months ago
    Quoted from Whysnow:

Seriously, just look into some sort of short wave rf system. It will be better quality for those that want to listen and less disruption for those that don’t.

Imagine going to a pro sports event with no announcer... that's what you keep missing they are trying to add. The noise BEING THE DRAW to keep attention and updates readily available.. to make it better to watch.

And your short wave RF thing is a problem because most phones in the US don't have their FM chips enabled, if they even have them. For instance, no apple phones have it enabled here.

The answer is better a/v and acoustic planning... which all costs $$

#808 3 months ago
    Quoted from Spyderturbo007:

I guess the suggestion would be some type of normalization to keep that from being such a huge dynamic range.

sounds like you need a compressor

Edit: watching some clips... THEY need a compressor on their audio mix

#809 3 months ago
    Quoted from TheLaw:

Its called the NHL, and it's great.

They have a PA and "annoying" music all the time as well...

#925 3 months ago

I must be the only person who subscribes to papaTV on streaming so I get notifications when they stream...

#933 3 months ago
    Quoted from DRDAVE:

I heard a few complain about the tilt on Hot Tip over on FB. Do the techs replace the 40+ year old cap across that switch with new?

Bally used those caps over switches to draw out switch registering... but Williams (Hot Tip) did not.

#996 3 months ago
    Quoted from Sleepy:

I was wondering about how this worked and think there should be more transparency about this. Before I go any further, I want to let you know that I have never played in any tournaments before and currently have no stake in this at all.

I believe that the top players should definitely receive an automatic entry in the tournament. I find it crazy that it is possible the defending champ Keith Elwin wouldn't be able to play next year because he didn't refresh his browser quick enough to get tickets.

So you are promoting there should be a change in the format... not that 'there should be more transparency about this'.

#997 3 months ago
    Quoted from CrazyLevi:

Does the 800 computers thing really work? Aren't you in effect competing against yourself?

Not if there are 2000 other computers that aren't yours to start with... You're going from a 1:2000 shot, to a 2:7 shot (800:2800)

#1013 3 months ago
    Quoted from Sleepy:

I didn't mean to sound as if I have a problem with the way it is run and I didn't really try to promote anything. My personal opinion was, I just thought it would be better for pinball if the greatest players were competing each year and didn't miss out because they couldn't get tickets. After reading some responses, I assume that this hasn't happened in the past and isn't a problem anyways. I assume the organizers know what they are doing and have experience in this area.

No biggie, just commenting on the sequence

This also also came up last year which was the first real super 'crush' to get tickets... busy in years prior, but last year and this year hit the 'race to the button' status. And in the prior discussion, the powers behind pinburgh have repeatedly stated they want a open field... no invites... even at the possible expense of someone like the GOAT being excluded.

#1029 3 months ago
    Quoted from ninjadoug:

This is actually my fear and why I need to test it. For sure, there are times where I want a nudge to go warning-warning-tilt and if this deadens the swing enough, then it would not be possible.

I think the bigger issue is setup time. These types of mods would probably not travel well and require tuning every example to every game style.

#1032 3 months ago
    Quoted from soren:

The material may degrade over time. Moving games or having them tilted up doesn't matter.

They are held only by friction... in a position that is critical to where it is, and it's size, etc. That makes it a piece that is game specific, and position specific. A balance that must be found, and maintained. Which when you are scaling into the 100s, for games that get moved... that's more stuff to 'go wrong' after a game has been prep'd.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
    $ 39.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    The MOD Couple
    $ 48.00
    Cabinet - Other
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    £ 12.00
    $ 69.99
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 30.00
    Playfield - Decals
    Mods for your pinballs
    $ 45.95
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Hookedonpinball.com
    $ 15.00
    $ 28.00
    Playfield - Other
    Pin Monk
    $ 5.00
    Cabinet - Other
    Chrome Candy
    $ 46.99
    Lighting - Interactive
    Lee's Parts
    $ 369.00
    Cabinet - Decals
    Mircoplayfields
    Playfield - Protection
    Little Shop Of Games
    Various Other Swag
    Shoot Again Pinball
    $ 130.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Rods Mods
    $ 98.00
    Playfield - Other
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    $ 30.00
    Playfield - Decals
    Metal-Mods
    $ 99.00
    Gameroom - Decorations
    Pinball Sales
    $ 5,799.00
    Pinball Machine
    Gulf Coast Pinball, LLC
    $ 66.95
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    Super Skill Shot Shop
    $ 199.00
    Cabinet - Toppers
    Id Rather Play Pinball
    $ 14.95
    $ 10.95

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider flynnibus.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside