Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 1,094 posts
  • 189 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 3 years ago by NeilMcRae
  • Topic is favorited by 51 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

20190929_084030 (resized).png
    DDD62825-F3FE-4491-B34C-0E93BCE1119F (resized).jpeg
    A0E6DCE7-DB92-4B70-A2DF-0B23C3BDEA98 (resized).jpeg
    78097B78-F8E4-4F46-99EF-CE637EB7BD20 (resized).jpeg
    AF8339A4-B123-42A7-87A8-57414FD4EB29.png
    58EE0691-34BB-4992-87F6-F6F69AB5F166 (resized).png
    2B91CD0B-2B5B-45F1-8550-55B94F37D641 (resized).jpeg
    20190806_111710 (resized).jpg
    20190805_173759 (resized).jpg
    IMG_2279 (resized).jpg
    B502CF63-4390-4FD9-82D7-6249FC7E50A3 (resized).jpeg
    15650520855936688136096203169929 (resized).jpg
    DE12DF17-1C99-4C68-9EB8-C9906DEE1969 (resized).jpeg
    pasted_image (resized).png
    1243851E-69C9-471E-B564-C537EBD1C7AC (resized).jpeg
    IMG_1169_2 (resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider crazylevi.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#114 5 years ago
    Quoted from Whysnow:

Hold on to your shorts. Sounds like a glitch and they may get cancelled on you.

Why you always gotta be such a sour puss?

His tickets arent gonna get cancelled.

1 week later
    #209 5 years ago

Part of the logjam does seem to be dozens of groups of 5 people all trying to log on and buy tickets for the same 5 people at once and then not really knowing what to do when they actually got In.

I think these mass group buy black ops teams need to try to streamline and polish their assault a little bit.

I was almost lured into a couple of these and just decided it would be easier to go it alone.

#216 5 years ago

Another thing people don't realize is when they organize these super secret conspiracy cabals to have 8 people all try to buy 5 tickets and then have no idea what to actually do or who to buy tickets for when they actually get 5 tickets in their basket is that you are basically competing against yourselves to get tickets in the first place. I'm not sure it actually works out in your favor mathematically.

Just buy your own tickets folks. If you strike out you can get on the wait list ASAP rather than calling 8 people and trying to figure out what to do at 12:02.

#218 5 years ago
    Quoted from LOTR_breath:

But 3 of us got on the waitlist immediately and those 3 already now have tickets.

Well, that's a boom!

#223 5 years ago
    Quoted from epthegeek:

- Todd MacCulloch (2)

To be fair, Todd is a big guy and probably needs two spots.

#228 5 years ago
    Quoted from flynnibus:

No, it only goes against you if your group was not synchronized... so they got tickets, but didn't know what to do with them, or coordinate with their peers so that only one transaction would be done.
    It still very much was in your favor mathematically to try to get tickets in the basket since it was more about getting in the very small time window. The more 'buyers' you had, the more opportunities to fit in the gap.

But aren't you now competing with more "buyers" in the first place, since there are 10 of you all trying to log on and buy tickets?

#230 5 years ago

I hate math!!

But I'll take your word for it.

All I know is I spend the week before Replay tickets drop politely declining offers to get involved in ticket buying syndicates and it always seems to work out for me.

3 weeks later
    #283 5 years ago

That's a much better idea than a headlamp. But I'd have to see it in action to see if it's distracting to other players.

3 months later
    #335 4 years ago
    Quoted from GravitaR:

Really hoping the pre-reg pick-up spot isn't in the middle of downtown and instead at the new ReplayFX/PAPA HQ location.
    One can dream.

Yeah the hundreds of people who are staying downtown without cars are dying to spend an extra hour or two hiring cars to drive around the Pittsburgh area to register. After all, pointless inconvenience is what pre-reg is supposed to be all about!

It's a good thing people who actually understand how to put on a pinball show are behind PAPA instead of clueless rubes.

#340 4 years ago
    Quoted from Blackbeard:

Can someone just show up Saturday, pay the admission, and come in a buy tokens and play?

Yep with games on free play. Most of the games will be available for play except those in finals banks. So that leaves at least a few hundred plus whatever is in the vendor areas. Plenty of vids too.

2 weeks later
    #421 4 years ago

It's time for the unofficial 2019 Pinburgh Fantasy Pinball League!!!

Fun! Free! Completely legal! Also awesome! And even more fun than watching the wait list or crossing out days on the calendar before the big event!

The full rules can be found here, but it’s pretty simple. Every player has a value. You pick 5 players to be on your fantasy team. The value of those 5 players combined cannot go over $400 in imaginary cash (let's call it 400 Quatloos!). Then, throughout Pinburgh the players on your team earn points based on their finishing position. All entries due by Wednesday 7/31/2019 8:00 AM EDT
    https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1ZnzUAggW2uUmUwtZSO-NxDEi9xmDfaGWRgT5XLysTVU/edit?usp=sharing

Once you’ve got your team, you can use this form to submit your picks. Once Pinburgh starts, scores go live! We will post a link to the results in this thread. Follow along throughout the tournament to see how you do!
    https://forms.gle/aM5D7X1mkFFAZ8Ct8

I made a separate topic for discussion with more info, and where to get a breakdown on the field and value picks. This is going to be a lot of fun and has some serious growth potential! CHeck it out here:

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/announcing-fantasy-pinball-for-pinburgh-#post-5098560

#469 4 years ago
    Quoted from Tilt:

My first year of Pinburgh, Usually im tied up in the summers, but have been wanting to go for years. However, since im not a big player, Im not in the tournament, Im just going to hang out with a bunch of friends, hopefully meet several "online" friends in person.
    I havent seen it, but do people do parking lot deals and such as well? Usually at shows that I go to the games are brought by othrs and often a lot of buying/selling. But with no games being brought in for this show, im not sure if any of that is going on. Im going in a truck, so I do have the capability of bringing a game if someone is looking, or buying one if someone has something I want

There's no parking lot so there's no parking lot deals. This isn't really a buying/selling show so if you plan on buying or selling a game I'd try to have a deal set in advance.

#485 4 years ago
    Quoted from westofrome:

Oh man that's a bummer, it was a riot watching pin people fall over on those things.
    I wonder if this is due to more space needed for expanded Pinburgh, or just streamlining/cost reallocation.

Probably a good idea. Remember when their Titanic capsized?

Insurance costs probably prohibitive.

#488 4 years ago
    Quoted from ninjadoug:

Seminars are gone because they were mostly sparsely attended. Bouncy houses gone beacuse the floor space was needed for Pinburgh expansion / other things you'll see when you get here.

INDOOR ROLLERCOASTER!!!

#547 4 years ago
    Quoted from Myles32:

Does anyone know if they did a video again like last year having Steve Bowden playing 1 ball on every game in the tournament ?

I think all concerned decided against it this time.

#550 4 years ago
    Quoted from Mr_Positive:

Is there any benefit in going to the Harris Grill on Wednesday if I’m on the waitlist?

You can get dinner. And pick up your Replay FX pass.

#580 4 years ago

"if I could give it a zero I would" is the "for that price that pinball machine should have sex with me" of yelp reviews.

#627 4 years ago
    Quoted from Whysnow:

but to clarify slightly...
    the vast majority are in use for tournament play all day Thursday and Friday.
    Most are available on Saturday (only a smaller subset are reserved for play in finals of each division)
    All are available on Sunday.

I'd clarify this clarification slightly to say that the majority of games open up on Saturday evening. Even the A finals are usually by done by 9pm, and the show runs late, giving everybody at least a few hours run of the place.

#639 4 years ago
    Quoted from Whysnow:

maybe they have more free play this year?
    Still lots, but a wild guess is last year there were 150-200ish in regular free play pinball
    400ish in Pinburgh
    I am sure someone will correct me on specifics but the majority are used for tourney play.
    still a blast and TONS to do

There's gonna be 7 Stern JPs there. That's a pretty big attraction.

It's literally the only place in the world a civilian can play the game this weekend.

#650 4 years ago
    Quoted from Looprunner:

Are the machines clearly labeled as being in tournament play? I don't want to mess someone up.

Here's a hint: If you have stumbled across a huge bank of pristine pinball machines and there are zero people or only a smattering of people playing them, it's probably the competition bank!

They are pretty well separated so shouldn't be an issue.

#790 4 years ago
    Quoted from Whysnow:

Audio was best yesterday during intergalactic finals. Then the big one went back on for wipt and it was insanely loud again.
    Seriously, just look into some sort of short wave rf system. It will be better quality for those that want to listen and less disruption for those that don’t.
    I am amazed that you continue to work directly against the nonA players with this clear disruption and to do it with full catering only to the A players.
    Keep doing the stream as it is great. Fix the audio. If a bunch of cranked out rave kids are able to set up silent raves in abandoned warehouses then you guys should be able to also
    Curious if you guys have gone out into other areas and actually experienced it?
    You need audio, but the current setup is still a net negative and not really fair to the experience of others that fought hard to be in their finals. Remember, audio space is the same as physical space. ESP for many of the players at this level.

The sound seemed pretty good to me during finals if you were in the "chair section," any further back and it sounded more garbled and annoying. The sound was better than last year, with room for more improvement. The number of spectators probably had a lot to do with the varying sound as well - with the entire seating section full for the end of A finals, the sound was much better and less echo-y than during WIPT when there were more empty seats bouncing sound around during the smaller Sunday session of Replay FX, or during the early rounds of A finals. I didn't check out IG so can't say about that.

I'm sure they'll continue to tweak this formula. Players I talked to said the sound didn't bother them - remember the speakers weren't pointed at them and that makes a huge difference. It's worth the continued effort to promote and develop pinball as a live spectator experience and this will have to be a part of it.

It would be great also if a large screen (if not the audio) were at the opposite end of the hall, so that all show attendees know that a couple hundred yards away the world championship is in progress.

#830 4 years ago

He's fine. He chose not to play in B.

He's a world champion and in conversation for top 5 most accomplished player of all time. Don't blame him.

#841 4 years ago
    Quoted from epthegeek:

I thought it was a completely ridiculous ask, but not enough to go get a TD about. I mean, by chasing me away, he just opened the gate for the people playing after us to come up and be much more active in the exact same spot immediately -- so really it ended up 'worse' for him, if things in his periphery are really that terrible.

If your group is crowding around a game while a competition game is being played on the machine right next to you, you are indeed in the wrong. That can be terribly distracting and wouldn't be acceptable at any tournament, much less a World Championship. It's happened to me many times over 5 pinburgs and it always sucks. It's not just the "peripheral vision" its having someone's back 2 inches away from your hand while you are flipping.

I politely ask the offending group to move and they always do. Shouldn't be a big deal, many players at Pinburgh are new to tournament pinball and don't realize they shouldn't crowd a player who is playing a tournament game, and they get it when you point it out. Nothing remotely "ridiculous" about that ask.

There are plenty of places to write scores down rather than on the glass of a machine directly next to one being used by fellow competitors. A table...a machine NOT next to one being played on; there are plenty of both at replay FX.

#843 4 years ago
    Quoted from epthegeek:

This was me, by myself. Standing directly in front of the game. Having taken a picture of the backglass, I was updating our score sheet. Everybody else in the group was well back in the common area. I was standing in the exact spot I had been when I finished my last ball just seconds before. It was silly.

Shoulda got a TD

Seems silly to me too but I understand it. Some players are touchier than others with this stuff.

I'll say I didn't run into a single bad interaction with anybody this year at Pinburgh which may have been a first. People seemed pretty mellow and amenable and nobody seemed to be looking for a fight.

#906 4 years ago

Since this is the defacto "suggestion box thread" I'll give my two cents as I do every year (with the obvious caveat that it's a great event as is and everybody did a great job)...

The video game side has amazing lighting, lasers, music, etc. It's a real Magfest style party.

Walk a few dozen yards over to the pinball side and it seems like a swap meet. Just flourescent lighting, no music, no lasers, no nothing.

It makes pinball seem lame and staid in comparison, and doesn't do anything to draw younger people over or create a fun environment. After the tournament is over Friday night, it would be cool to see the pinball side match the atmosphere of the arcade side. They did at least dim the lights at one point on Saturday I believe, but it could be so much more immersive.

The tournament itself is great but I'd like to see more production improvements for the Finals. Bring back the confetti...add some pyro..some music...some lasers...some announcements...some excitement. I'd also put a large screen in the back of the convention center showing the stream (arcade side) so that people know a hundred yards away there is a world-class pinball tournament they could come check out. The sound was better this year and I assume will continue to improve, but the lighting should also get a look at. It's too bright in the tournament finals staging area, not only makes it look staid, but washes out the projection screens, which otherwise would present really well. Better (more dramatic) lighting of the stage would also be befitting of a World Championship pinball finals.

All this stuff would elevate the pinball side of the show, in a big way, budget permitting.

#908 4 years ago
    Quoted from bluebomber:

I noticed this myself. Took a break from pinball and went to play some rhythm games. Came back to pinball, and there was a stark contrast in the atmosphere. I think the fluorescent lights are on so people can see what is happening in the pinball machines, but music or accent lighting would definitely help. They had the disco Iron Maiden machine plugged into the loudspeaker on Saturday night which made it feel like a little bit more of a party.

You don't really need ambient lighting, pinball machines are well lit, you'd be able to play in the dark just fine, especially with all the machines on in the area.

The Maiden thing was cute but hearing the same 5 Queen song clips over and over again wasn't really doing much to match the atmosphere of the arcade side.

#911 4 years ago
    Quoted from DaveH:

As a person that paid that $70 extra for a VIP ticket, I found it to be totally worth it. And if offered again next year, I will happily pay it again if I can get one.

I feel like people are paying the $70 vig to get their ticket 30 minutes earlier and go back to sleep. The lounge isn't really necessary.

They should just auction off 100 tickets early on and rake in the cash, and dispense with the VIP area (or keep it, whatever). They could raise a huge amount of money doing this, and since they have had their first taste of the joys of self-scalping, I don't see why they wouldn't consider it.

#914 4 years ago
    Quoted from Spyderturbo007:

There were times I would have traded my left “Insert Body Part Here” for one of those couches.

I never had any trouble finding a place to sit between rounds. Lots of tables and chairs.

#927 4 years ago
    Quoted from ninjadoug:

I'm not sure what this means, can you elaborate?

I think instead of the VIP thing as done this year (marking up tickets $70), an all-out auction would accomplish two things:

1) Raise a shitload more money for Replay
    2) allow a better opportunity for deep-pocketed people to obtain a "VIP" (early/guaranteed entry) ticket. The VIP scramble was just as /more brutal than the regular onsale this year, and it wasn't because people were clamoring for the VIP lounge. They simply wanted tickets as early and securely as possible.

Since the "VIP overcharge" ticket barrier was finally breached this year - with pretty much no negative feedback - I think it would be accepted and even welcomed by ticket buyers this year. If you think it's a "bad look," a percentage could go to Project Pinball or pretty much any charity.

Just something to think about. VIP raised about an additional $3000 for replay this year. I'd bet you'd clear well over twice that auctioning off (or simply self-scalping at twice the price) the tickets. I've bought a lot of concert tickets. This stuff works.

#931 4 years ago
    Quoted from Whysnow:

Auction would be interesting.
    Giving a % to charity or better yet, just saying it will go towards things like: paying more techs, hiring more people for streaming, improved audio, etc...
    would do the trick.
    I would happily pay more for the opportunity to grab an early ticket if I knew the proceeds were going to continue to grow and improve the experience.
    Levi> what do you think they could raise the regular pinburgh ticket price to and still be fine?

It's hard to say. "splitting up" the tickets as they do (replay ticket/pinburgh ticket) does a little to distract from the sticker shock. But you'd have to raise the Pinburgh ticket while not raising the replay ticket much as you don't want to scare away showgoers.

So no idea really. I bet you could get away with an extra $20-30 without pissing off too many people.

But again, letting would-be VIPs spend as much money as they want while only raising the "regular" ticket a few bucks might work better. I know for a fact there's plenty of people who would happily pay $300 for their pinburgh 2020 ticket tomorrow if given the chance.

What's your take?

#938 4 years ago
    Quoted from Grandnational007:

And just like that, metal detectors, x-rays, bag-checks, pat-downs, and lllllllllooooooonnnnnnnnnngggggggggg lines waiting to get into the venue became a thing at Replay/Pinburgh.
    Discrepancy, bruh, discrepancy.

Discretion maybe bruh?

I agree. Got a good thing going at Replay, I'd hate if I couldn't smuggle in some beef jerky.

#944 4 years ago
    Quoted from kguenther6:

From the front page of papa.org:
    The goal of the Professional & Amateur Pinball Association is to create and promote the world’s greatest pinball tournaments, encourage friendly competition, and spread enthusiasm for pinball among casual gamers. Toward that end, we have built Pinburgh
    Are you saying their mission has changed and Pinburgh is no longer to "spread enthusiasm for pinball among casual gamers"? If that is no longer the case, fine. Charge $1000 a ticket. But if you want to keep the mission then the prices should be kept low.

How do you feel about "keep most low, sell some high?"

Do you consider the $230 it cost in 2019 to be "low?"

#948 4 years ago
    Quoted from kguenther6:

Not everyone is talking about raising it a little. Some are talking raising it a lot.
    I'm fine with some being high. I just thought one of the great things about Pinburgh was it was a tournament affordable to most and get to play against a lot of great players. If another $20/$30 dollars per ticket is needed to keep this a great event then fine. But if we are raising prices just to keep people out so that richer people can be sure to get a ticket or auctioning the tickets off I think that will no longer make it the great event it currently is.

Raising the ticket prices / selling some at a premium isn't to "keep people out," it's to help pay the bills. None of us are privy to the financials but it's incredibly expensive to put on an event like this, and of course you have people like me clamoring for more money to be spent on production. I personally think that spending more on the production and adding significant pizazz to the pinball side of the event would do more to "draw people to pinball" than keeping prices low.

Others want to see higher prize pools for all divisions. Others want some of the jankier EMs replaced with good ones, or more games added so the number of participants can rise even higher.

All of this stuff takes money, so they'd be wise to consider all options.

#956 4 years ago
    Quoted from DRDAVE:

I heard a few complain about the tilt on Hot Tip over on FB. Do the techs replace the 40+ year old cap across that switch with new?
    An old cap across the tilt mech could cause random tilts. Every old school SS game should have it's tilt cap replaced with new to alleviate this known issue.
    Eric Stone and Ray Davidson got hosed big time because of this.

A LOT Of things can cause a "random tilt," up to and including actually tilting the game. One Facebook vent thread is pretty slim evidence to declare that Pinburgh games are tilting due to the oddly specific issue of a defective cap.

Also EM games don't have this issue, and I'm pretty sure Williams SS games don't either. That's a Bally thing. Also a defective cap is gonna cause random switch closures all the time, not just when two people are playing the game.

I love your "friend," he's a great player and a distinct personality. But he's also an incredibly aggressive player, and he also hates losing more than anybody hates anything on the face of the planet. It may have colored his recollections of this particular tilt.

#958 4 years ago
    Quoted from ryanwanger:

Yes. I had mine in my pocket most of the time, and would only bring it out to get into the VIP area. The area was a nice perk, but I only did VIP to get me an extra shot at buying a ticket.

Generally the elite wisely kept these passes out of view, lest they incite an uprising from the peasants!!!

At one point I was rattling the gates of VIP, threatening the frightened bourgeois inside with a coming revolution, before being promptly removed by their massive gatekeeper.

YOU CAN'T KEEP US OUT FOREVER!

#973 4 years ago
    Quoted from ninjadoug:

Our Hot Tip is an EM machine and not the SS version.

WHY DON'T YOU PUT NEW CAPS ON YOUR EM TILT SWITCHES?!?!?!

It's a known issue by god!

Quoted from ninjadoug:

You also can’t rely 100% on other players opinions of a tilt because some may feel social pressure to say ‘yeah, man you got robbed’ because they don’t want to be the bad guy.

100 percent of the time when someone turns to me and says "I didn't even touch it!" I nod in agreement and say "yeah that blows." What else am I supposed to say?

#988 4 years ago
    Quoted from NIQ:

I walked over and said, “(pointed at Zach) so you got a vip ticket, (pointed at Josh) and you were too cheap to buy a VIP ticket?”
    Josh says “Yea ok, I had 800 computers trying to get me a VIP ticket.”

Does the 800 computers thing really work? Aren't you in effect competing against yourself?

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider crazylevi.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/-official-replayfx-pinburgh-2019-thread-?tu=crazylevi and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.