Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 1,094 posts
  • 189 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 3 years ago by NeilMcRae
  • Topic is favorited by 51 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

20190929_084030 (resized).png
    DDD62825-F3FE-4491-B34C-0E93BCE1119F (resized).jpeg
    A0E6DCE7-DB92-4B70-A2DF-0B23C3BDEA98 (resized).jpeg
    78097B78-F8E4-4F46-99EF-CE637EB7BD20 (resized).jpeg
    AF8339A4-B123-42A7-87A8-57414FD4EB29.png
    58EE0691-34BB-4992-87F6-F6F69AB5F166 (resized).png
    2B91CD0B-2B5B-45F1-8550-55B94F37D641 (resized).jpeg
    20190806_111710 (resized).jpg
    20190805_173759 (resized).jpg
    IMG_2279 (resized).jpg
    B502CF63-4390-4FD9-82D7-6249FC7E50A3 (resized).jpeg
    15650520855936688136096203169929 (resized).jpg
    DE12DF17-1C99-4C68-9EB8-C9906DEE1969 (resized).jpeg
    pasted_image (resized).png
    1243851E-69C9-471E-B564-C537EBD1C7AC (resized).jpeg
    IMG_1169_2 (resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Sleepy.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#634 4 years ago
    Quoted from Whysnow:

but to clarify slightly...
    the vast majority are in use for tournament play all day Thursday and Friday.
    Most are available on Saturday (only a smaller subset are reserved for play in finals of each division)
    All are available on Sunday.

This is disappointing and probably should be noted on the website somewhere. I booked a hotel and bought tickets for just the Thursday and Friday and wanted to play the free play games listed on the website.

There are over 400 pinball machines listed under the games section of the website and it says they will all be set to free play. A note about the vast majority being unavailable for free play Thursday and Friday would have been nice.

#637 4 years ago
    Quoted from epthegeek:

The general free play area is still very large. Even with pinburgh running, there are more pins available to play than at many pinball shows -- and then there's all the arcade and console stuff too. It's not like there's 3 games available -- there's a ton.
    Also - you'll have the best crack at the 7 JP machines at Stern's booth every time a pinburgh round starts; so there's that.

Thanks, that's good to hear.

Quoted from NeilMcRae:

Dood - you’ll be fine there are loads of free play games that aren’t in the comp.
    Neil.

Great, thanks for confirming.

It was hearing the "vast majority" part that started getting me thinking it might not be the best plan on my part. I am looking to purchase a few more games for my game room and there are plenty on the list I wanted to try out.

I was also only 'mildly' disappointed as well as I am sure my wife and I will find plenty of things to do at ReplayFX and in Pittsburgh.

1 week later
    #982 4 years ago
    Quoted from ninjadoug:

Nope. There are a few tickets set aside for people who help the event but none set aside because someone is a top player.

I was wondering about how this worked and think there should be more transparency about this. Before I go any further, I want to let you know that I have never played in any tournaments before and currently have no stake in this at all.

I believe that the top players should definitely receive an automatic entry in the tournament. I find it crazy that it is possible the defending champ Keith Elwin wouldn't be able to play next year because he didn't refresh his browser quick enough to get tickets.

For example, I think almost everybody would be happy with a system where the top 40 players in the A division automatically qualify to purchase tickets for the following year.

I am assuming players like the Sharpe brothers, Keith Elwin, etc. might fall under the "helping the event" category, but obviously am not privy to this type of information, which I have no problem with. The top players and influential pinball people have done more than I will ever be able to do for the pinball community.

My wife and I had a great time and am thankful for all the work done by the organizers of this event.

#1008 4 years ago
    Quoted from flynnibus:

So you are promoting there should be a change in the format... not that 'there should be more transparency about this'.

I didn't mean to sound as if I have a problem with the way it is run and I didn't really try to promote anything. My personal opinion was, I just thought it would be better for pinball if the greatest players were competing each year and didn't miss out because they couldn't get tickets. After reading some responses, I assume that this hasn't happened in the past and isn't a problem anyways. I assume the organizers know what they are doing and have experience in this area.

The transparency part was just me being curious how it worked, and I thought maybe some other people might be curious as well. I have very little knowledge of how these tournaments work and have no access to any insider information as some others might. I would really like to thank NinjaDoug for providing some insight into the process with his response.

Sorry if I came across the wrong way. It is probably just my analytical mind trying to understand the unknown and obtaining more data on topics I am unfamiliar with.

My wife hates me for this lol. Maybe hate is too strong of a word, but I'm pretty sure I annoy her some times.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Sleepy.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/-official-replayfx-pinburgh-2019-thread-?tu=Sleepy and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.