Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 1,094 posts
  • 189 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 3 years ago by NeilMcRae
  • Topic is favorited by 51 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

20190929_084030 (resized).png
    DDD62825-F3FE-4491-B34C-0E93BCE1119F (resized).jpeg
    A0E6DCE7-DB92-4B70-A2DF-0B23C3BDEA98 (resized).jpeg
    78097B78-F8E4-4F46-99EF-CE637EB7BD20 (resized).jpeg
    AF8339A4-B123-42A7-87A8-57414FD4EB29.png
    58EE0691-34BB-4992-87F6-F6F69AB5F166 (resized).png
    2B91CD0B-2B5B-45F1-8550-55B94F37D641 (resized).jpeg
    20190806_111710 (resized).jpg
    20190805_173759 (resized).jpg
    IMG_2279 (resized).jpg
    B502CF63-4390-4FD9-82D7-6249FC7E50A3 (resized).jpeg
    15650520855936688136096203169929 (resized).jpg
    DE12DF17-1C99-4C68-9EB8-C9906DEE1969 (resized).jpeg
    pasted_image (resized).png
    1243851E-69C9-471E-B564-C537EBD1C7AC (resized).jpeg
    IMG_1169_2 (resized).jpg

There are 1,094 posts in this topic. You are on page 8 of 22.
    #351 4 years ago
    Quoted from GravitaR:

Really hoping the pre-reg pick-up spot isn't in the middle of downtown and instead at the new ReplayFX/PAPA HQ location.
    One can dream.

New HQ is outside of the city and not really a good option for most.

#352 4 years ago
    Quoted from Whysnow:

90% the same as last year would be my guess

Nope. All new banks.

#353 4 years ago
    Quoted from Pinzap:

Not to mention watching Bowden get his ass kicked by more games in one day than any person alive!!

Working on it now!

#354 4 years ago

Hilton's track record remains intact.

#355 4 years ago

Looks like the Player list was updated, but not the Waitlist.

#356 4 years ago
    Quoted from yancy:

Hilton's track record remains intact.

an Yancy is still a Yancy.

#357 4 years ago

Is there going to be a pre Pingolf tournament this year?

#358 4 years ago

Are we there yet? Are we there yet?

#359 4 years ago

I am making my first trip to Pinburgh. Any good sources to learn more about the tournament and what to expect? I get the general rules of the tournament, but tips about making the tournament go smoother (ie food, breaks, avoid long lines, etc).

Also, looking for a couple people to help offset the hotel prices. If you need a room, send me a PM. I have a deluxe room with 2 double beds at the Omni Hotel and Resorts reserved for the tournament.

#360 4 years ago
    Quoted from snyper2099:

Yes, don’t know the details. But I do know their will be one.

#361 4 years ago
    Quoted from troxel:

but tips about making the tournament go smoother (ie food, breaks, avoid long lines, etc).

Wear really comfortable shoes that aren’t old.
    Pack a small bag to have with you at all times. Pack snacks and drinks.
    Bring a small tripod camping stool to always be able to get off your feet.
    When leaving to eat during breaks, don’t try to eat at the places right next to the show. Go at least 4-5 blocks away. Wait times will be way down at those places.

#362 4 years ago
    Quoted from troxel:

I am making my first trip to Pinburgh. Any good sources to learn more about the tournament and what to expect? I get the general rules of the tournament, but tips about making the tournament go smoother (ie food, breaks, avoid long lines, etc).

There are a couple of food stands in the convention center where you can grab a quick lunch between rounds. In the past they had an Asian grille and another stand with your typical hot dog, hamburger, chicken fingers.

For dinner break there's a place called Crystal On Penn that's about a 10 minute walk from the convention center. I go there every year I'm at the event.

#363 4 years ago
    Quoted from troxel:

Any good sources to learn more about the tournament and what to expect? I get the general rules of the tournament, but tips about making the tournament go smoother

Do not be shy about asking for a TD ruling, better safe than sorry. Bowen will probably warn us all at the beginning against playing another player's ball... but it's going to happen so try not to make it you.

Happened to me on Cleopatra last year. first time on the game, I'd only been in the hobby for 6 months, wasn't familiar with the era of gottlieb etc etc. Player 2 ball drains and she walks away from the machine. I walk up and there's a ball in the plunger lane. I'm a little confused by the lights on the playfield... and all the lights on the backglass look the same (no clear indication of which player is up)... but i know there are older games that kind of randomize what lights are lit (golden arrow, for instance) so I assume i'm good to go. Plunge the ball and points are being added to player 2. get a 0 on the game because of the malfunction of not advancing player. (though someone suggested that first era gottlieb SSs have a minute chance of ball save at random???)

#364 4 years ago
    Quoted from troxel:

Just piling on to the other advice so far:
    - Always be sitting. It's a looooong time on your feet and it's on a concrete floor, when you can, sit down.
    - Refillable water bottle is handy, if you're good at not forgetting it at whatever game you just played.
    - Counterpoint to the "go far away for food": The Jimmy Johns on the 'back' corner of the convention center is HELLA FAST and very close.
    - Be sure to go to 'the meatball place' (Emporio) at least once. https://www.emporioameatballjoint.com
    - If you're a non-standard size for shirts and you want the Pinburgh shirt for the year, buy early.
    - Have fun and chat it up with your group mates!

#365 4 years ago

I have 5 CPR playfileds I can bring to replay fx
    I will have them for a good price plus Save with no shipping.
    Corvette, joker poker, whirlwind, addams family and banzi run.
    Pm me for details

#366 4 years ago

Bring multiple sets of shoes. Wear a different pair each day.

Helps with foot soreness

SIT on D1. You feel fresh that day and it is easy to forget. You will be happy on D2 if you sat on D1

#367 4 years ago

I will also stress the sitting at every opportunity. Force yourself. It is a long 2 day grind on concrete. I like to wear two pairs of socks.

Keep in mind the "dinner" break begins at 4:45 Eastern. That's very early for a Central time zoner like me. Space your food consumption accordingly.

#368 4 years ago
    Quoted from epthegeek:

- Always be sitting. It's a looooong time on your feet and it's on a concrete floor, when you can, sit down.

Let me be the 5th or 6th person to emphasize this. Sit early & often. If you stand all day Thursday you'll feel fine, but hate yourself by Friday night.

#369 4 years ago
    Quoted from misterschu:

(though someone suggested that first era gottlieb SSs have a minute chance of ball save at random???)

My guess is the ball bounced clean through the trough without hitting the outhole switch. I've seen it several times over the years, especially on that era of game with a relatively flat single-ball trough.

#370 4 years ago
    Quoted from yancy:

Let me be the 5th or 6th person to emphasize this. Sit early & often. If you stand all day Thursday you'll feel fine, but hate yourself by Friday night.

Is there plenty of seating available, or do people bring their own portable chairs?

#371 4 years ago
    Quoted from troxel:

Is there plenty of seating available, or do people bring their own portable chairs?

Over the years they have added more and more places to sit. There are lots of tables and chairs as well as some inflatable couches. Those couches are usually taken up quickly!

#372 4 years ago
    Quoted from troxel:

Lots of nice seating provided by the show at round tables all over the hall. Nice benches outside the hall and on the walkway through/above the main hall if you want to get out of the noise. But many people do also bring folding stools & chairs.

#373 4 years ago
    Quoted from epthegeek:

Lots of nice seating provided by the show at round tables all over the hall. Nice benches outside the hall and on the walkway through/above the main hall if you want to get out of the noise. But many people do also bring folding stools & chairs.

Speaking of... Any updated details on the VIP area?

#374 4 years ago
    Quoted from misterschu:

Bowen will probably warn us all at the beginning against playing another player's ball... but it's going to happen so try not to make it you.

My advice for this? Poker Chips! Seriously... tuck four poker chips (or some other small object) into your front pocket. At the start of EVERY game, make sure they are all there. Then when you know what player you are, take that many chips and put them in your back pocket. Every time you think it is your turn, confirm the game for indication of what player is up and how many chips are in your back pocket. If they agree, play on. If not... figure out what happened.

I realize this sounds stupid. I realize sticking my hands in my pockets so much looks weird. However, when you are tired on the second day this will be habit, and you won't have a chance of being the person taking a zero.

#375 4 years ago
    Quoted from DaveH:

My advice for this? Poker Chips! Seriously... tuck four poker chips (or some other small object) into your front pocket. At the start of EVERY game, make sure they are all there. Then when you know what player you are, take that many chips and put them in your back pocket. Every time you think it is your turn, confirm the game for indication of what player is up and how many chips are in your back pocket. If they agree, play on. If not... figure out what happened.
    I realize this sounds stupid. I realize sticking my hands in my pockets so much looks weird. However, when you are tired on the second day this will be habit, and you won't have a chance of being the person taking a zero.

Do you seriously do this? Haha.

Just look at your score sheet each time you step up to the game and make sure you’re actually up.

#376 4 years ago

That poker chip thing would absolutely DQ me at least once.

#377 4 years ago

anyone know if they are having any speakers at replay? i didn't see it listed on the web site. i saw eugene jarvis a few years ago. he is funny, but every other word is the "f" word.

#378 4 years ago

One thing that was lacking last year were pens. Can one out of four people bring a pen? A few of my games were held up for this reason and there was some intense bartering going on between groups for one. How about the organizers give out a nice pen instead of a medallion for going 12-0? Haha

#379 4 years ago
    Quoted from epthegeek:

Could check with Joe at PinballStar - he's always had a big booth of stuff there. Not sure if he does show deals for games used at the show or not.

Last I heard from Joe (PinballStar) a few months back is that he would not have a booth this year. He will be participating in the tournament though. I hope he changes his mind because I want to get some time in on Wonka. There's a low number of pinball related vendors there as it is (or was last year).

If I'm going Friday through Sunday for just the Replay FX to play lots of pinball, is there any advantage to buying tickets up front? There doesn't appear to be a discount for purchasing those 3 days and I think we would likely still need to wait in line to get our wristbands or whatever to get in anyhow. Just trying to come up with a plan.

#380 4 years ago
    Quoted from KingBW:

Last I heard from Joe (PinballStar) a few months back is that he would not have a booth this year. He will be participating in the tournament though.

Oh. Yeah. Now that you mention this I remember he got a Pinburgh ticket. So never-mind that option I guess.

#381 4 years ago
    Quoted from KingBW:

I want to get some time in on Wonka.

Thanks to our friends at JJP we will have both a Wonka and Pirates at the event.

#382 4 years ago
    Quoted from Beyndtstng:

One thing that was lacking last year were pens. Can one out of four people bring a pen? A few of my games were held up for this reason and there was some intense bartering going on between groups for one. How about the organizers give out a nice pen instead of a medallion for going 12-0? Haha

We had 1000 pens at the desk before the first round and they were all gone before the end of round 1. Apparently many people took more than one.

#383 4 years ago
    Quoted from Whysnow:

Bring multiple sets of shoes. Wear a different pair each day.
    Helps with foot soreness

This. I am there All day, every day, from Monday through the following Monday for clean up. I take 3 pairs of shoes with me every year and rotate them.

#384 4 years ago

Thanks for all you do for this event. Hopefully i can again volunteer for this "largest every arcade" but my travel schedule prevents total commitment. I went to pinburg before the flood as a player/helper in 1997 and before and always willing to help out.

#385 4 years ago
    Quoted from ninjadoug:

This. I am there All day, every day, from Monday through the following Monday for clean up. I take 3 pairs of shoes with me every year and rotate them.

I completely wore out a pair of shoes (I only wore 1 pair the whole time) and I wore out a wheel on my tech cart. I think one of the other techs wore out a flat spot on one of his wheels somehow too.

I swore this time I was going to rent a scooter to ride around instead of pushing my cart. Do they make scooters with hitches?
    I wonder if WalMart would notice on their scooters is missing? The basket on the front could work as a tool cart!

#386 4 years ago

WTB: bad cats, diner, space station.

Will be at Replay on Saturday..

#387 4 years ago

WTB, Bad Cats and Diner.

Will be at Replay from Thursday-Sunday for easy coordinated pickup

#388 4 years ago
    Quoted from Whysnow:

WTB, Bad Cats and Diner.
    Will be at Replay from Thursday-Sunday for easy coordinated pickup

Your not playing this year?!

#389 4 years ago

Man, I'm excited. Last year was actually the first time I played in Pinburgh, and it was a blast, but I played like poop. My expectation this year is that I'll play like poop again. But even with my crappy play, this is such a fun time. I got to meet so many fun people, and play a TON of Pinball. How is that not the best?

#390 4 years ago

WTB: bad cats, diner, space station.
    Will be at Replay on Saturday..

#391 4 years ago

478 people still on the waiting list. Think this is a big thing?

#392 4 years ago
    Quoted from shimoda:

478 people still on the waiting list. Think this is a big thing?

Fun fact, once the wait list hit 500 people, we turned off the ability to sign up for the wait list!

#393 4 years ago
    Quoted from TomGWI:

Your not playing this year?!

Huh?

I will be there and playing.

Am I missing something?

#394 4 years ago

Just waiting for the waitlist to update again to see some of my buds get in for the fun.

#395 4 years ago
    Quoted from snyper2099:

There will be. It will be at the Pittsburgh Pinball Dojo again. Jake and I are making our final preparations and we’ll post next week. But it will definitely be July 30th and 31st.
    Format will follow pin-masters rules.

#396 4 years ago
    Quoted from Whysnow:

Huh?
    I will be there and playing.
    Am I missing something?

How will you have time to pickup a pin during the pinburgh event at the show? That is insane.

#397 4 years ago
    Quoted from TomGWI:

How will you have time to pickup a pin during the pinburgh event at the show? That is insane.

multiple breaks, and when you play as shitty as me, you are done super quick so even more time often between breaks.

I picked up a game last year with zero issues. Actually the past 2 years I picked up a game no problem.

Heidi is also playing in the womens only tourney so I have plenty of time on Sat and Sunday to do whatever I need.
    Hell, if there is a game within a few hours drive, I could easily do that on Sat (I wont be in any sort of playoff) or Sun (when she is busy in Womens)

#398 4 years ago
    Quoted from Whysnow:

multiple breaks, and when you play as shitty as me, you are done super quick so even more time often between breaks.
    I picked up a game last year with zero issues. Actually the past 2 years I picked up a game no problem.
    Heidi is also playing in the womens only tourney so I have plenty of time on Sat and Sunday to do whatever I need.
    Hell, if there is a game within a few hours drive, I could easily do that on Sat (I wont be in any sort of playoff) or Sun (when she is busy in Womens)

You don’t play shitty. Don’t you have a medallion.

I guess I just constantly think about pinburgh & food.

#399 4 years ago
    Quoted from TomGWI:

You don’t play shitty. Don’t you have a medallion.
    I guess I just constantly think about pinburgh & food.

thanks

I am consistently inconsistent, lol.

I guess I always feel the breaks are too long and it always seems like my group tends to get done way early (I always figured due to play calibur )
    I probably just jinxed it, but either way if there is a game available then I will make the time to get it

#400 4 years ago

Player list just got updated. Sadly no waitlist update.

There are 1,094 posts in this topic. You are on page 8 of 22.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/-official-replayfx-pinburgh-2019-thread-/page/8?hl=zaki and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.