Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 1,094 posts
  • 189 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 3 years ago by NeilMcRae
  • Topic is favorited by 51 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

20190929_084030 (resized).png
    DDD62825-F3FE-4491-B34C-0E93BCE1119F (resized).jpeg
    A0E6DCE7-DB92-4B70-A2DF-0B23C3BDEA98 (resized).jpeg
    78097B78-F8E4-4F46-99EF-CE637EB7BD20 (resized).jpeg
    AF8339A4-B123-42A7-87A8-57414FD4EB29.png
    58EE0691-34BB-4992-87F6-F6F69AB5F166 (resized).png
    2B91CD0B-2B5B-45F1-8550-55B94F37D641 (resized).jpeg
    20190806_111710 (resized).jpg
    20190805_173759 (resized).jpg
    IMG_2279 (resized).jpg
    B502CF63-4390-4FD9-82D7-6249FC7E50A3 (resized).jpeg
    15650520855936688136096203169929 (resized).jpg
    DE12DF17-1C99-4C68-9EB8-C9906DEE1969 (resized).jpeg
    pasted_image (resized).png
    1243851E-69C9-471E-B564-C537EBD1C7AC (resized).jpeg
    IMG_1169_2 (resized).jpg
    There are 1,094 posts in this topic. You are on page 4 of 22.
    #151 5 years ago

AirBnb not a bad option for lodging.

#152 5 years ago
    Quoted from plankalkul:

So for Pinburgh 2020, if the PAPA facility is up and running, ... could this be the last David L. Lawrence Pinburgh?

We are contractually obligated to the DLCC for 2019 and 2020.

#153 5 years ago
    Quoted from kermit24:

Yep. First batch of waitlist emails "its your turn, buy now" went out around 1:15pm Saturday. I imagine we could see some more emails shortly. @ninjadoug would know that info for sure.

I don't actually handle the waitlist but I know the first batch has gone out already. At this point people are getting 48 hours to claim their ticket, so I imagine every other day a batch will go out until we are at capacity.

#154 5 years ago
    Quoted from plankalkul:

So for Pinburgh 2020, if the PAPA facility is up and running, ... could this be the last David L. Lawrence Pinburgh? Will Pinburgh split from replay and go home to roost? Is that even possible?

I'm curious, how would Pinburgh be better served moving out of a convention space and into an industrial warehouse?

#155 5 years ago

The biggest things would be convenience and money. They wouldn't have to rent a convention center and they wouldn't have to move every single game out of their headquarters into a convention center for a few days just to have to break then down and lug them back to set up.

#156 5 years ago
    Quoted from Capinball:

The biggest things would be convenience and money. They wouldn't have to rent a convention center and they wouldn't have to move every single game out of their headquarters into a convention center for a few days just to have to break then down and lug them back to set up.

If they don't have a facility that can accommodate thousands of visitors it is really a moot point.

#157 5 years ago

I believe PAPA/Replay's contract with the Convention Center runs for another 2 years. I might be wrong on that but I do remember hearing them mention a time frame on one of their broadcasts. Besides, who knows how long it will take PAPA to find another building and that's even if its stays in Pittsburgh.

#158 5 years ago
    Quoted from yatch11:

I believe PAPA/Replay's contract with the Convention Center runs for another 2 years. I might be wrong on that but I do remember hearing them mention a time frame on one of their broadcasts. Besides, who knows how long it will take PAPA to find another building and that's even if its stays in Pittsburgh.

Doug posted that about six posts up.

#159 5 years ago
    Quoted from frolic:

I'm curious, how would Pinburgh be better served moving out of a convention space and into an industrial warehouse?

Hard to get that kind of space with close proximity to parking, hotels, food -- unless you only rent it for a short time. Like say a convention center.

A space with all the needed amenities to host that many people is a huge waste of money any day it's not being used.

#160 5 years ago
    Quoted from Capinball:

It seems like the work involved - the transportation and set up of all those machines, is just a "cost of doing business" for the papa folks at this point. They've made it happen for multiple years in a row. They have the expertise (and apparently the will) to do it.

Pinball is growing, they are at the tip of the spear with the biggest pinball tournament in the world, so I commend them on their hard work.

#161 5 years ago

More waitlist emails went out today. A friend of mine just got his ticket. Both our waitlist confirmation emails were time stamped 12:03 so here's hoping I get mine soon.

#162 5 years ago

How readily available was the waitlist? When I arrived at the page at 12pm, added tickets, got the sold out message... I didn’t see the wait list message right away. Only when I went back a couple of minutes later did I finally see the waitlist link.

#163 5 years ago

The waitlist was right there on the left side of the page for me. Took me about 20-30 seconds to find it.

#164 5 years ago
    Quoted from LOTR_breath:

The waitlist was right there on the left side of the page for me. Took me about 20-30 seconds to find it.

I bought the ticket on mobile, below was the view that I saw... but only after a period of time. When I first received the sold out message, I don’t think it navigated to a sign up button like this.

7F902145-4934-48AA-AE9B-7E5A45D339DB (resized).jpeg7F902145-4934-48AA-AE9B-7E5A45D339DB (resized).jpeg
    #165 5 years ago

12:04 timestamp...anxiously awaiting my invitation!

#166 5 years ago

Hopefully schedule works out for me. Pinburg got the nod and had to forget about another tech conference.

Wonder how well I will do.

#167 5 years ago
    Quoted from TechnicalSteam:

Hopefully schedule works out for me. Pinburg got the nod and had to forget about another tech conference.
    Wonder how well I will do.

My prediction... you will win more pinball games at Pinburgh than you would have at your tech conference. But you will also lose more!!

#168 5 years ago
    Quoted from jonesjb:

How readily available was the waitlist? When I arrived at the page at 12pm, added tickets, got the sold out message... I didn’t see the wait list message right away. Only when I went back a couple of minutes later did I finally see the waitlist link.

I actually thought that you would automatically be put on the waiting list after registering. But since you couldn't register directly and had to enter an extra link, i was a little confused and that's why i wasn't very fast.
    I am very curious when finally the waiting list is to be seen.
    I still hope to get in, although i signed in at 12:04

#169 5 years ago
    Quoted from AndyJr:

I actually thought that you would automatically be put on the waiting list after registering. But since you couldn't register directly and had to enter an extra link, i was a little confused and that's why i wasn't very fast.
    I am very curious when finally the waiting list is to be seen.
    I still hope to get in, although i signed in at 12:04

Agreed, it was confusing. It’s almost like people who were first-first but missed out on registering, ended up falling further down on the waiting list due to the confusing user experience... 12:06 here, but really would have been 12:00 otherwise.

#170 5 years ago

DUmb question, but can you randomly just show up off the street and play pins?

Or is this just for people competing?

#171 5 years ago
    Quoted from Blackbeard:

DUmb question, but can you randomly just show up off the street and play pins?
    Or is this just for people competing?

Pinburgh tkes place concurrently with the ReplayFX convention (Thursday - Sunday). From the start of ReplayFX there are over 100 pinball machines and 100s of video arcade machines available for free play inside the show, just buy a ReplayFX show ticket.

Pinburgh starts on Thursday and finishes on Saturday. Once competition is finished on Friday and Saturday's final banks have been set up, the majority of machines that were reserved for Pinburgh are opened up for freeplay to the rest of ReplayFX attendees.

So if you are not planning on going for multiple days, Saturday and Sunday will have the most free play pinball machines available.

#172 5 years ago

And speaking of machines being available to play... can I just send out a HUGE thank you to the tech staff that works on these games. I was shocked at the quality of the games last year. Any tech issues were handled almost immediately, or the game was removed from the floor. It is an amazing undertaking to keep this many games not only playing, but playing well. They really do a great job to make this a fun time.

#173 5 years ago

got my waitlist email at 2:32

already paid and pumped to go again.

I'm very happy that I get to go this year since ill be having my first kid a couple months later. kind of my last great adventure before fatherhood.

see all of you all and cant wait to party after

#174 5 years ago
    Quoted from DaveH:

And speaking of machines being available to play... can I just send out a HUGE thank you to the tech staff that works on these games. I was shocked at the quality of the games last year. Any tech issues were handled almost immediately, or the game was removed from the floor. It is an amazing undertaking to keep this many games not only playing, but playing well. They really do a great job to make this a fun time.

Thank you for the kind words. It does take a small army to keep them going.
    I worked from open to close every day of last year's event, and I loved every second of it.
    I'll be working this year as well, as long as they'll have me.

#175 5 years ago
    Quoted from timtim:

got my waitlist email at 2:32
    already paid and pumped to go again.
    I'm very happy that I get to go this year since ill be having my first kid a couple months later. kind of my last great adventure before fatherhood.
    see all of you all and cant wait to party after

timtim,
    what time did you register to the waitlist?
    This could give me (us) an idea, if there is still hope to get in also

#176 5 years ago
    Quoted from AndyJr:

timtim,
    what time did you register to the waitlist?
    This could give me (us) an idea, if there is still hope to get in also

My conformation email was 12:03.

#177 5 years ago

12:03 here. Got my email today and Pinburgh ticket purchased! I haven't been since 2016 so really excited about going again. This will be my 5th Pinburgh.

#178 5 years ago

12:03
    I was hoping we'd be in the middle of 12:04.
    Register time to waitlist 12:04, this could be 12:04:00 up to 12:04:59, which means I could be next in line or have hundreds in front of me. Then the hope fades a little and I have to find alternative things I can do on my vacation.
    It was a perfect match this year, the school holidays in Germany, my wife allowed me to spend the time in Pinburgh during our family holidays.
    But that's just how life is sometimes

#179 5 years ago

How about a list update?

Or at least tell us if the 1000 tix sold out?

#180 5 years ago
    Quoted from extraballingtmc:

How about a list update?

They’re not going to bother until they’ve gone through all the ‘in-cart-but-not-puchased’ Tickets at least. It’ll be a bit yet.

And of course it sold out. The waitlist was easily 400 people deep last year. Even if transactions aren’t complete yet, all the spots will be filled.

#181 5 years ago
    Quoted from epthegeek:

They’re not going to bother until they’ve gone through all the ‘in-cart-but-not-puchased’ Tickets at least. I’ll be a bit yet.
    And of course it sold out. The waitlist was easily 400 people deep last year. Even if transactions aren’t complete yet, all the spots will be filled.

I think extraballingtmc is asking if all of the available in-cart-not-tickets have been allocated already, or if they have gone through something 35 of the 90 available. I agree this is a good question.

#182 5 years ago
    Quoted from Ericc123:

I will be playing in my first Pinburgh.

Same here! Got lucky getting in for me and a friend. Really excited to go play in such a large tourney!

#183 5 years ago
    Quoted from jonesjb:

I think extraballingtmc is asking if all of the available in-cart-not-tickets have been allocated already, or if they have gone through something 35 of the 90 available. I agree this is a good question.

I'm sure they haven't, or they'd post a players list. Everybody that jumped on the waitlist gets 48 hours to claim the tickets they are offered or pass, so it's going to take a while to get through the first pass I'm sure.

#184 5 years ago

Well I am 12:03 and still no email just for an update, not a good update but and update none the less

#185 5 years ago

12:03 here as well. May March bring us happiness gentrsa

#186 5 years ago
    Quoted from jonesjb:

Correct.

Just really curious if I didn’t get in just how far down I am in case of cancellations.

#187 5 years ago

Just my opinion, I think they are still going through the duplicates and unpurchased cart tickets at the moment. I don't think the waitlist will be published until it actually is a waitlist, and all 1000 spots are filled. Here is a link to the page where they will be posted, although they might post to facebook sooner.

https://papa.org/competitions/pinburgh/pinburgh-2019/

#188 5 years ago
    Quoted from extraballingtmc:

How about a list update?

Last update I have was 972 players and we are awaiting some responses from folks on the waitlist to continue to fill up. There are over 500 names currently on the waitlist. Mark should have a list posted in a few days.

#189 5 years ago

Is it August yet? I'm ready. I have my tickets, my hotel is booked and I scheduled the days off work.

#190 5 years ago

Our interview with ninjadoug from last night that covers all things PAPA/Pinburgh/ReplayFX:

(also available in audio form on your favorite podcast hosting service: http://www.buffalopinball.com/podcast)

#191 5 years ago

600 pinballs!

#192 5 years ago

I was discussing buying strategy with friends as we were waiting for the time to come, and I reserved three spots. Another guy reserved two, and the third person just one. The problem is the person with two spots said he was going to get one for himself and his girlfriend, and I was scrambling to figure out how to drop one reservation without losing my spot for the other two (I couldn't figure that out, and still don't know if it was possible).

I don't blame the person with the single reservation for buying his ticket, but I didn't know until it was too late as I had reserved one for him as well, and then just guessed at another friend who did later end up needing a ticket.

Person with two reservations screwed up and they timed out so he didn't get any.

I was told you can edit names, so I did for my friend who didn't get a ticket in place of the guy who bought one for himself, but while you can change the name on the ticket, you can't on the reservation.

I know it said no refunds and no transfers. Yet I'm still confused by the whole process. Not sure if my editing of the name has any effect.

#193 5 years ago

For those terrified they're not going to make it off the wait list, this is for you. Sing to the tune of you know what.

THE TEN ROUNDS OF PINBURGH:

In the first round of Pinburgh, the pingods gave to me...

a longshot waitlist entry.

In the second round..... 2 killer balls

In the third round............3 locks lit

In the fourth round..........4 slap saves

In the fifth round...........FIVE WAAAAY COMBO

In the sixth round........6 modes completed

In the seventh round.........7 bumpers popping

In the eighth round.........8 targets dropping

In the ninth round.........9 juicy spins

In the tenth round.........10 X bonus

#194 5 years ago

And for those who have played in a few Pinburghs, here is my version.

In the first round of Pinburgh the PinGods gave to me.... A zero on a game that I own!
    In the second round..... Two house balls
    In the third round.......... Three missed scoops
    In the fourth round........ Four double dangers
    In the fifth round........... FIVE CROP DUSTERS!
    In the sixth round......... Six walks for water
    In the seventh round..... Seven stilt walkers
    In the eight round.......... Eight bricked ramp shots
    In the ninth round.......... Nine Luckbox EM's
    In the tenth round......... Ten tired players
    In the eleventh round..... Eleven techs a-fixing
    In the twelfth round........ Twelve TD's ruling

#195 5 years ago

So does anyone know if the name on the Pinburgh ticket has to match the name on the reservation?

#196 5 years ago
    Quoted from EmLover1970:

So does anyone know if the name on the Pinburgh ticket has to match the name on the reservation?

It does. Tickets are non-transferable.

#197 5 years ago

Noah
    MAR 02, 2019 | 03:40PM EST

Thanks for taking the time to get in touch with us. That is exactly correct, you are able to transfer these tickets to someone else.
    While we clearly understand your concern regarding the name on your tickets please be aware that the name on the tickets simply reflects the name under which the tickets were reserved. The event promoter and/or venue do reserve the right to ask for identification in relation to the tickets, but this should only be necessary if there is a discrepancy with the tickets (i.e. fraudulent activity).

If you will not be the one using the ticket we do recommend making the necessary change to the ticket so it coincides with the attendee’s personal ID. To change the name on purchased tickets please visit here.
    Please let us know if we can further assist you.

All the best,

ShowClix – Customer Care Team

And yet they have a page to change the names on the ticket.

I'm looking for real clarification.

#198 5 years ago

This was what I wrote to them BEFORE that reply:

"Hello again,

So, as I wrote in my first email, my friends and I accidentally bought two tickets for the same person.

Am I to understand that I am able to change the name on a Pinburgh ticket to someone else?

As there are no refunds, and as a third person needs a ticket, I'm perfectly happy to do that."

#199 5 years ago
    Quoted from EmLover1970:

Noah
    MAR 02, 2019 | 03:40PM EST
    Thanks for taking the time to get in touch with us. That is exactly correct, you are able to transfer these tickets to someone else.
    While we clearly understand your concern regarding the name on your tickets please be aware that the name on the tickets simply reflects the name under which the tickets were reserved. The event promoter and/or venue do reserve the right to ask for identification in relation to the tickets, but this should only be necessary if there is a discrepancy with the tickets (i.e. fraudulent activity).
    If you will not be the one using the ticket we do recommend making the necessary change to the ticket so it coincides with the attendee’s personal ID. To change the name on purchased tickets please visit here.
    Please let us know if we can further assist you.
    All the best,
    ShowClix – Customer Care Team
    And yet they have a page to change the names on the ticket.
    I'm looking for real clarification.

Yeah that’s ShowClix, not the ReplayFX-Pinburgh folks. They are likely referring to concerts or other shows they deal with. Check out the refund policy on the right hand side of the ReplayFX page;

https://replayfx.org/competitions/pinburgh/

It clearly states there that the tickets are non-transferable due to the waitlist for tickets, sorry....

#200 5 years ago
    Quoted from EmLover1970:

This was what I wrote to them BEFORE that reply:
    "Hello again,
    So, as I wrote in my first email, my friends and I accidentally bought two tickets for the same person.
    Am I to understand that I am able to change the name on a Pinburgh ticket to someone else?
    As there are no refunds, and as a third person needs a ticket, I'm perfectly happy to do that."

How did you accidentally buy two tickets for the same person? Or do you mean that you and your friends were trying to game the system, and didn't have your plan as coordinated as it could have been - Leading to two separate people entering the same name?

It looks like you can get a 75% refund though, why not just go with that, better than nothing?

There are 1,094 posts in this topic. You are on page 4 of 22.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/-official-replayfx-pinburgh-2019-thread-/page/4?hl=misterschu and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.