Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 1,094 posts
  • 189 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 3 years ago by NeilMcRae
  • Topic is favorited by 51 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

20190929_084030 (resized).png
    DDD62825-F3FE-4491-B34C-0E93BCE1119F (resized).jpeg
    A0E6DCE7-DB92-4B70-A2DF-0B23C3BDEA98 (resized).jpeg
    78097B78-F8E4-4F46-99EF-CE637EB7BD20 (resized).jpeg
    AF8339A4-B123-42A7-87A8-57414FD4EB29.png
    58EE0691-34BB-4992-87F6-F6F69AB5F166 (resized).png
    2B91CD0B-2B5B-45F1-8550-55B94F37D641 (resized).jpeg
    20190806_111710 (resized).jpg
    20190805_173759 (resized).jpg
    IMG_2279 (resized).jpg
    B502CF63-4390-4FD9-82D7-6249FC7E50A3 (resized).jpeg
    15650520855936688136096203169929 (resized).jpg
    DE12DF17-1C99-4C68-9EB8-C9906DEE1969 (resized).jpeg
    pasted_image (resized).png
    1243851E-69C9-471E-B564-C537EBD1C7AC (resized).jpeg
    IMG_1169_2 (resized).jpg

There are 1,094 posts in this topic. You are on page 21 of 22.
    #1001 4 years ago
    Quoted from TomGWI:

I was told by a TD you have 60 seconds to play in finals after a tilt.

This is in the PAPA/IFPA rules.

#1002 4 years ago
    Quoted from TomGWI:

I was told by a TD you have 60 seconds to play in finals after a tilt.

True. But there is no guarantee that the bob has stopped swinging by then.

#1003 4 years ago
    Quoted from ninjadoug:

I know. I have no problem with it.

I was just responding to the poster that wanted earplugs in all the machines

#1004 4 years ago
    Quoted from ryanwanger:

I know but that is the rule and the TD was on top of me. I showed him on my phone I had a timer set. He wasn’t being abrasive. I was just going to take my full time because the machine moved a good 3 inches.

#1005 4 years ago
    Quoted from ninjadoug:

Doug, you may remember this from Round 10. Player in my group nearly got a DQ on Batman66. The leg leveler did not touch the floor.

My previous comment was not referring to this. It was during B finals when I got the 60 second tilt warning.
    DDD62825-F3FE-4491-B34C-0E93BCE1119F (resized).jpegDDD62825-F3FE-4491-B34C-0E93BCE1119F (resized).jpeg

#1006 4 years ago

How was that handled? Does the TD put it back mid game or what?

#1007 4 years ago
    Quoted from chuckwurt:

How was that handled? Does the TD put it back mid game or what?

Bowen, Doug and another TD came over with the rule book. They took a piece of paper and slide it under the leveler to verify it was not touching the floor.

They then took a photo of scores and went into settings menu which had tilt disabled. Leg leveler was then put back were it should be and game continued were we left off.

Being a TD myself for my own and local tournaments it was a good experience to see.

#1008 4 years ago
    Quoted from flynnibus:

So you are promoting there should be a change in the format... not that 'there should be more transparency about this'.

I didn't mean to sound as if I have a problem with the way it is run and I didn't really try to promote anything. My personal opinion was, I just thought it would be better for pinball if the greatest players were competing each year and didn't miss out because they couldn't get tickets. After reading some responses, I assume that this hasn't happened in the past and isn't a problem anyways. I assume the organizers know what they are doing and have experience in this area.

The transparency part was just me being curious how it worked, and I thought maybe some other people might be curious as well. I have very little knowledge of how these tournaments work and have no access to any insider information as some others might. I would really like to thank NinjaDoug for providing some insight into the process with his response.

Sorry if I came across the wrong way. It is probably just my analytical mind trying to understand the unknown and obtaining more data on topics I am unfamiliar with.

My wife hates me for this lol. Maybe hate is too strong of a word, but I'm pretty sure I annoy her some times.

#1009 4 years ago

I guess the point is if you install all of the machine with earplugs then you could change the rule to 30 seconds and probably have less issues in the long run with tilt rulings. It just a suggestion as we having been using for the past three years at our show and they work awesome.

Quoted from ninjadoug:

#1010 4 years ago
    Quoted from pins4life33:

I guess the point is if you install all of the machine with earplugs then you could change the rule to 30 seconds and probably have less issues in the long run with tilt rulings. It just a suggestion as we having been using for the past three years at our show and they work awesome.

City champ used them this year and there were zero reports of phantom tilts that I was aware of. And tilts were super tight.

#1011 4 years ago
    Quoted from pins4life33:

So how do the earplugs work? Are you listening for the tilt bob? Or are the earplugs on the actual tilt mechs somehow to deaden them?

#1012 4 years ago
    Quoted from TomGWI:

So how do the earplugs work? Are you listening for the tilt bob? Or are the earplugs on the actual tilt mechs somehow to deaden them?

http://tiltforums.com/t/the-pinball-tilt-new-pinball-film/2051

#1013 4 years ago
    Quoted from Sleepy:

I didn't mean to sound as if I have a problem with the way it is run and I didn't really try to promote anything. My personal opinion was, I just thought it would be better for pinball if the greatest players were competing each year and didn't miss out because they couldn't get tickets. After reading some responses, I assume that this hasn't happened in the past and isn't a problem anyways. I assume the organizers know what they are doing and have experience in this area.

No biggie, just commenting on the sequence

This also also came up last year which was the first real super 'crush' to get tickets... busy in years prior, but last year and this year hit the 'race to the button' status. And in the prior discussion, the powers behind pinburgh have repeatedly stated they want a open field... no invites... even at the possible expense of someone like the GOAT being excluded.

#1015 4 years ago
    Quoted from pins4life33:

install all of the machine with earplugs

And there were only 428 games in Pinburgh this year to worry about installing them on!

#1016 4 years ago
    Quoted from ninjadoug:

And there were only 428 games in Pinburgh this year to worry about installing them on!

At some point, the time spent addressing the suggestion will outweigh the time spent installing them.

I'll come a day early next year and help!

#1017 4 years ago
    Quoted from Sleepy:

My personal opinion was, I just thought it would be better for pinball if the greatest players were competing each year and didn't miss out because they couldn't get tickets.

I do think it's unfortunate that sometimes top players don't get in, but I'm not sure they should be guaranteed.

There are lots of other circuit/tournaments where the top players are guaranteed entry (ie: earn their way in through skillful play over a designated period of time): IFPA World Championships, Stern Pro Circuit Finals, and State/Province Championship Series. Could be others I'm missing.

#1018 4 years ago
    Quoted from ninjadoug:

Definitely a monumental task. I would be the first to volunteer to be part of an all out assault team to install these should they prove to be a solution to the sorts of issues being discussed here.

full disclosure , i was the victim of the tilt phantom in my only PAPA Classics finals appearance , and after an amazing ball 1; tilted INTO Bowen's ball (who took a bathroom break, that we agreed on) machine tilted 3 minutes later; everybody in my group was screaming BS on my behalf; boom out of the finals

#1019 4 years ago

It is a big job I agree, but you are already working on them anyway, you have a full year to do the installs on them. I know it is an easier thing to say then do but throwing out suggestions out there to help make things easier for your techs, tds in the future. Take it as you will advice is free.

Quoted from ninjadoug:

#1020 4 years ago
    Quoted from pins4life33:

Take it as you will advice is free.

Oh, I'm thankful for all the feedback and help we get to pull this off.

I still have to conduct some more play testing with the earplugs on a game to see if I like how they affect the play.

#1021 4 years ago

One suggestion. You can even tighten the tilt more once they are installed because of how fast they stop swinging. So you can get the same sensitivity as before, but no “BS” tilts or waiting for forever.

#1022 4 years ago
    Quoted from ninjadoug:

I still have to conduct some more play testing with the earplugs on a game to see if I like how they affect the play.

There is hope!

Experiment a little with how much of the earplug you use (half, 3/4, full, etc). Depending on the game, sometimes it can be too much, sometimes not enough. Reducing tilt-throughs is the noblest of aspirations.

Quoted from chuckwurt:

You can even tighten the tilt more once they are installed because of how fast they stop swinging. So you can get the same sensitivity as before, but no “BS” tilts or waiting for forever.

Absolutely. With earplugs, you are more likely to be able to get the game exactly where you want it tilt-wise, rather than taking the trade off of making a looser tilt for the purpose of avoiding phantom tilts, or tilt-throughs.

#1023 4 years ago
    Quoted from ninjadoug:

Quoted from ryanwanger:

I also heard (not sure from whom) that if you’re really worried that 60 seconds isn’t enough, then go up to the pin at the minute mark and start semi/short plunging with the ball never leaving the shooter lane. I’ve never done it, but on games without auto-plunge, I’m guessing you could waste another minute or so doing that several times. I’m not recommending it (or even sure if it’s against rules), but just repeating what i had heard.

#1024 4 years ago
    Quoted from Pinzap:

I also heard (not sure from whom) that if you’re really worried that 60 seconds isn’t enough, then go up to the pin at the minute mark and start semi/short plunging with the ball never leaving the shooter lane. I’ve never done it, but on games without auto-plunge, I’m guessing you could waste another minute or so doing that several times. I’m not recommending it (or even sure if it’s against rules), but just repeating what i had heard.

Crafty.

If I was waiting for more than a minute, it would only be because I had evidence that a minute wasn't enough (like, we already saw a tilt through, or a player in our group got a phantom tilt in on a previous ball, or I heard a story about one of those two situations from an earlier round regarding this machine). And in that case, I'd let the other players in my group know I was going to wait more than a minute, and let them know why.

At that point, it seems pretty unlikely that a player would call over a TD for a delay ruling. But meanwhile, the tilt bob is settling while we wait.

#1025 4 years ago

I have found that on most tilt bobs, 1/4 earplug works best. So you can do 4 machines with one earplug. Just 107 earplugs to do the entire 428! LOL

#1026 4 years ago

A 1/4 earplug it is!!

Of course people can experiment and find a size that make a certain game play better. But a 1/4 is definetly the recommended start out.

I wish I had made a more firm point of this in the video. But my own real playing experience with it was limited. Actually, I started the video project with only a calibration guide and my good old do-disable-slam-tilt rant in mind. The idea of the earplug concept came to me during production.

Just remember, like setting up a race car, several adjustments are needed for the best compromise. Yes, you can install 1/4 earplugs and play-on relatively safe. But for high level competition you might find that the sensitivity needs to be re-calibrated. And then hundreds of games may not seem a snap of the fingers.

To claerify. The earplug trick is not to make the sensitivity lower and make the game more nudge'able. It is to have a fast decay of the bob swing at impact, which serves a couple of purposes.

1) A more fair tilt. Where you can have a tight sensitivity. But still allow for warnings and not have any nudge to go warning-warning-tilt. Regardless how feather light it was.

2) Less risk of tilt throughs. I will say, that a proper tilt mech, properly calibrated and earpluged will eliminate tilt throughs on any game. Under normal playing conditions, where the player stops nudging the game as soon as the ball is lost.

3) Less waiting time.

4) All players start their ball on a dead tilt bob.

For 3) and 4) a 1/4 earplug will deaden the bob in 30 sec tops. Of course the effect of 3) is pending that the organiser let players know how awesome their tilt mech work. And that 30 sec. is sufficient and then it is play-on.

Glad you like the neat trick.

#1027 4 years ago
    Quoted from soren:

But still allow for warnings and not have any nudge to go warning-warning-tilt.

This is actually my fear and why I need to test it. For sure, there are times where I want a nudge to go warning-warning-tilt and if this deadens the swing enough, then it would not be possible.

#1028 4 years ago
    Quoted from ninjadoug:

This is actually my fear and why I need to test it. For sure, there are times where I want a nudge to go warning-warning-tilt and if this deadens the swing enough, then it would not be possible.

Yeah YMMV, but this is what I meant about tightening the tilt further after the ear plug. You’ll definitely get warning warning tilts with BW games still.

#1029 4 years ago
    Quoted from ninjadoug:

I think the bigger issue is setup time. These types of mods would probably not travel well and require tuning every example to every game style.

#1030 4 years ago
    Quoted from flynnibus:

These types of mods would probably not travel well and require tuning every example to every game style.

The material may degrade over time. Moving games or having them tilted up doesn't matter.

#1031 4 years ago

Once you tune them you shouldn’t need to do it again unless the tilt bulb moves during transport, if that is the case you are adjusting the tilt anyway.

Quoted from flynnibus:

I think the bigger issue is setup time. These types of mods would probably not travel well and require tuning every example to every game style.

#1032 4 years ago
    Quoted from soren:

The material may degrade over time. Moving games or having them tilted up doesn't matter.

They are held only by friction... in a position that is critical to where it is, and it's size, etc. That makes it a piece that is game specific, and position specific. A balance that must be found, and maintained. Which when you are scaling into the 100s, for games that get moved... that's more stuff to 'go wrong' after a game has been prep'd.

#1033 4 years ago

I used the earplug foam in the tilts for the UK Open. There are some games it’s just put in and forget and it works well. some games though, notably wpc-S, took a lot longer to get it to something that wouldn’t just give the “total BS” mood hoovers their fodder. Not sure I got it right with some games, Esp the shadow and my Indy 500 at home. Given the wide choice of games this would be a substantial workload for pinburgh.

#1034 4 years ago

Hi Neil. Were they cut into 1/4 size? This size is ideal. And should not be so stiff that you cannot make a good old tight tilt for your competition games.

The way it should be. Competition tighty tilt. And quick bob settlement.

#1035 4 years ago

Suggestion for 2020. Please bring back the Noodle/Stir Fry food vendor. Was nice having a healthier choice for a meal.

#1037 4 years ago
    Quoted from GravitaR:

Suggestion for 2020. Please bring back the Noodle/Stir Fry food vendor. Was nice having a healthier choice for a meal.

That was the concession vendor at the DLCC. We will have this conversation with them!

1 week later
    #1038 4 years ago

How long till Pinburgh and Intergalactic results get posted to IFPA?
    Asking for a friend....

#1039 4 years ago
    Quoted from Jarson:

How long till Pinburgh and Intergalactic results get posted to IFPA?
    Asking for a friend....

Should be posted soonish.

#1040 4 years ago
    Quoted from pins4life33:

It is a big job I agree, but you are already working on them anyway, you have a full year to do the installs on them. I know it is an easier thing to say then do but throwing out suggestions out there to help make things easier for your techs, tds in the future. Take it as you will advice is free.

We have a few game rentals coming up. I'm going to try the earplug mod on a few games before the games are moved and check them throughout the event.

#1041 4 years ago

Any pics or videos posted anywhere from event?

#1042 4 years ago

There's about 6 amateur videos on Youtube right now. Most are impossible to sit through because the commenters are uneducated on what games they are looking at. And another video has audio so bad that you have to mute it.

Here's a quote from one of the videos: "This centipede must be a lot older than the other centipede because its in a smaller cabinet"

I'm not saying I am any better, but just letting you know what you're in for.

I watched them just to see if I am in any of them. I think I'm in all of them. I'm easy to spot because my cart lit up the whole area around me.

There's a couple videos of the cosplay too.

I have a few videos of time lapse, and a few of actual speed as I walked around with my repair cart.
    I'll be uploading them soon.

#1043 4 years ago

Plus there's a bunch of official videos from Pinburgh posted that are very well done.

#1044 4 years ago

pinballvideos.com

1 week later
    #1045 4 years ago

Hey y'all! Does anyone know when ReplaxFX or the IFPA will post the final results from Pinburgh 2019? This was my 1st Pinburgh experience, and I qualified for D Division with a 1st round bye. Second round (unfortunately) I was eliminated, but I know I'm guaranteed money just for qualifying and getting the bye, but I'm not sure how much money I have coming. I've already set up my E-Wallet account, but it still says the balance is zero. Any information from anyone that's been to Pinburgh before or has made it to the money rounds of any Division would be greatly appreciated.

Many thanks!

-Allen from TX & The Pinball Mafia.

#1046 4 years ago
    Quoted from 2FlippedOut41Mo:

Hey y'all! Does anyone know when ReplaxFX or the IFPA will post the final results from Pinburgh 2019? This was my 1st Pinburgh experience, and I qualified for D Division with a 1st round bye. Second round (unfortunately) I was eliminated, but I know I'm guaranteed money just for qualifying and getting the bye, but I'm not sure how much money I have coming. I've already set up my E-Wallet account, but it still says the balance is zero. Any information from anyone that's been to Pinburgh before or has made it to the money rounds of any Division would be greatly appreciated.
    Many thanks!

It's usually a solid month before they are updated. So hopefully by the end of next week everything will be updated.

#1047 4 years ago

I've already set up my E-Wallet account, but it still says the balance is zero.

https://replayfx.org/prizes/

E-wallet accounts are funded 60 days after the completion of the event.

Does anyone know when ReplaxFX or the IFPA will post the final results from Pinburgh 2019?

Hopefully the results will be posted next week.

but I'm not sure how much money I have coming.

https://replayfx.org/competitions/pinburgh/#1527540919153-0562db9a-f197

#1048 4 years ago

Many thanks!

Looks like $225. Congrats!

#1049 4 years ago
    Quoted from LOTR_breath:

Looks like $225. Congrats!

What did 40th in A get? Just curious.

#1050 4 years ago
    Quoted from chuckwurt:

What did 40th in A get? Just curious.

$350

There are 1,094 posts in this topic. You are on page 21 of 22.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/-official-replayfx-pinburgh-2019-thread-/page/21 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.