9 months ago

Topic Stats

• 1,083 posts
  • 189 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 5 days ago by DaveH
  • Topic is favorited by 59 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

There have been 51 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

20190929_084030 (resized).png
    DDD62825-F3FE-4491-B34C-0E93BCE1119F (resized).jpeg
    A0E6DCE7-DB92-4B70-A2DF-0B23C3BDEA98 (resized).jpeg
    78097B78-F8E4-4F46-99EF-CE637EB7BD20 (resized).jpeg
    AF8339A4-B123-42A7-87A8-57414FD4EB29.png
    58EE0691-34BB-4992-87F6-F6F69AB5F166 (resized).png
    2B91CD0B-2B5B-45F1-8550-55B94F37D641 (resized).jpeg
    20190806_111710 (resized).jpg
    20190805_173759 (resized).jpg
    IMG_2279 (resized).jpg
    B502CF63-4390-4FD9-82D7-6249FC7E50A3 (resized).jpeg
    15650520855936688136096203169929 (resized).jpg
    DE12DF17-1C99-4C68-9EB8-C9906DEE1969 (resized).jpeg
    pasted_image (resized).png
    1243851E-69C9-471E-B564-C537EBD1C7AC (resized).jpeg
    IMG_1169_2 (resized).jpg

There are 1083 posts in this topic. You are on page 16 of 22.
    #751 3 months ago
    Quoted from TheLaw:

Quick question; are the diaper rubbers that don't allow anyone to nudge also against people wearing a rage tilt T-shirt?

I believe the correct nomenclature is "diaper wipers".

#752 3 months ago
    Quoted from TheLaw:

Alright see a lot of folks I know still going; very nice. I'm picking Rosa II top 4

Let's take it all the way

#753 3 months ago

Putting the old JP in the final bank is hilarious!

#754 3 months ago

Who is commentating the live stream?

#755 3 months ago
    Quoted from wesman:

On weekends, bus station.
    Flat rate at convention center is $13, but should be $5/6 for Greyhound on weekends.

That worked - $5 at Greyhound today. Thanks!

#756 3 months ago

This guy Keith seems like a pretty good player.

#757 3 months ago
    Quoted from Ace24:

That worked - $5 at Greyhound today. Thanks!

Glad I could help! I was down there on Thursday from 1:30 to 7:30, and it was still only $13...which I think was the same rate as event parking at the convention center, but that lot was full.

#758 3 months ago

Congratulations to Keith Elwin! Back to back, enjoy the $15k and bragging rights.

#759 3 months ago
    Quoted from Chitownpinball:

I got a day rate I could discount to do the production. Only way i could come is if i am working. Id be super jealous the whole time, lol.

Is the discount $0?

Most of our production staff are volunteers.

#760 3 months ago
    Quoted from ninjadoug:

Is the discount $0?

I think he's interested in the minority portion of the production staff which are not volunteers.

Not that you invited him into that group......

#761 3 months ago
    Quoted from ninjadoug:

Is the discount $0?

Quoted from MrBally:

I think he's interested in the minority portion of the production staff which are not volunteers.

Just offered so you could stream more, whatevs.

#762 3 months ago

Why does every stream lately break down on the finals? I invested more time watching this than I would like to admit. Then,it goes dead...

#763 3 months ago

Women’s International Pinball Tournament is today. Good luck to all the ladies playing!

#764 3 months ago
    Quoted from Forum-ninja:

Why does every stream lately break down on the finals? I invested more time watching this than I would like to admit. Then,it goes dead...

It was off for 10 minutes, they stopped play and resumed. You missed about 1 minute of action. First time I've seen that at a major event. They did an amazing job.

#765 3 months ago
    Quoted from Rondogg:

It was off for 10 minutes, they stopped play and resumed. You missed about 1 minute of action. First time I've seen that at a major event. They did an amazing job.

I gotta disagree. The one place where Pinburgh and ReplayFX need some serious help is the stream thing.

I understand that is is all volunteer, but I find it to be a net negative. The main con is the really bad PA system which just echoes in the hall and sounds like the peanuts teacher. It is super loud, distracting and disrespectful to be in the audio space of 80% of your players (b c d and e playoffs are going on while a playoff commentators are blasting in their space).

First suggestion is to drop the speakers and go to a short range rf broadcast. Every person in the crowd that wants to listen can drop on headphone and do so. Those that don’t, won’t be distracted with color commentary that sounds like whahhhaha Haha whaaa wha wha whanan. Wooo! ohhh! Whhhhaaa wwaaannana wa wa wanna a a. Yeah!

#766 3 months ago
    Quoted from Chitownpinball:

Just offered so you could stream more, whatevs.

Sorry, I meant my comment as a joke. No disrespect was intended.

#767 3 months ago
    Quoted from MrBally:

No disrespect was intended by my comment. All of the production staff currently is volunteer.

#768 3 months ago

About to arrive.....JP impressions shortly. Super pumped to play

#769 3 months ago
    Quoted from Whysnow:

I gotta disagree. The one place where Pinburgh and ReplayFX need some serious help is the stream thing.
    I understand that is is all volunteer, but I find it to be a net negative. The main con is the really bad PA system which just echoes in the hall and sounds like the peanuts teacher. It is super loud, distracting and disrespectful to be in the audio space of 80% of your players (b c d and e playoffs are going on while a playoff commentators are blasting in their space).
    First suggestion is to drop the speakers and go to a short range rf broadcast. Every person in the crowd that wants to listen can drop on headphone and do so. Those that don’t, won’t be distracted with color commentary that sounds like whahhhaha Haha whaaa wha wha whanan. Wooo! ohhh! Whhhhaaa wwaaannana wa wa wanna a a. Yeah!

I wasn't at the event so I didn't hear the announcers in the hall. All I kept thinking was that it was disrespectful of the A finalists to have the announcers yapping away at their play or speculating as to which shots to hit. If it was booming to the other level competitors I can't imagine why they'd keep doing it. Everything looked great from home. They moved the player camera to the front so it shows the audience as a background which was nice. The lighting was great but it was better last year and even the TD onstage cleaned up a bit and looked less slothlike. They even had a good mix of on air commentators, much better this year.

But yes, you're right, if those commentators are on the PA that's no Bueno. Dump that idea fast.

#770 3 months ago

duplicate

#771 3 months ago

Keep the PA. It’s not distracting to the players on stage nor is it distracting to players in other divisions. It’s just excuses from people who play poorly, and they need something to blame it on. The commentating adds to the competition aspect, and it’s great for the crowd to hear all the strategies and rules.

And the stream went out because the venue lost power to specific grid.

#772 3 months ago

Getting ready to head back out for the last day, played 52 machines I had never had the chance to play before including some super rare ones so I am a happy camper. Hit ReplayFX Fri and Sunday, went to Pinball Perfection and Pinball, PA yesterday before a party. Going to stop at Rock Fantasy on the way home, Pinball for days!

#773 3 months ago

Pinburgh streaming is how I discovered top-level pinball videos. I always enjoy it. Thanks to papa for sharing this great tournament online.

One thing that has confused me is that over the years as the tournament has gotten bigger, pin streaming has become more widespread, and technology has improved, the volume of games filmed seems to have gone down. If you go back to the papa archives I believe you'll find from previous years qualifying and earlier rounds, gameplay from other divisions, and I think even concurrent matches.

#774 3 months ago
    Quoted from Rondogg:

even the TD onstage cleaned up a bit and looked less slothlike

#775 3 months ago
    Quoted from blueberryjohnson:

Pinburgh streaming is how I discovered top-level pinball videos. I always enjoy it. Thanks to papa for sharing this great tournament online.
    One thing that has confused me is that over the years as the tournament has gotten bigger, pin streaming has become more widespread, and technology has improved, the volume of games filmed seems to have gone down. If you go back to the papa archives I believe you'll find from previous years qualifying and earlier rounds, gameplay from other divisions, and I think even concurrent matches.

It's probably because as the event has grown, resources are spread thinner

#776 3 months ago

New machine at the Pinball MIX tent at Replay FX.

Come say hi and check out Star Wars with new music and adjusted movie clip audio (for a more emmersive experience).

Mark
    Pinball MIX

#777 3 months ago
    Quoted from blueberryjohnson:

Streaming was always based on one set of games at PAPA. As the events grew, they outgrew that 'single space' where streaming is operating from. At pinburgh now.. that is the main stage.

Simply put.. the events have been growing... the streaming rigs and people have not been expanding at the same rates.

#778 3 months ago

congrats ryanwanger of comet pinball for winning the intergalatic pinball championships. woohooo!!!

#779 3 months ago

So here are my impressions of JP

It's awesome

Premium all the way in this one. Felt like the pro was just missing too much

Very challenging. Ramps feel far away and not your normal angle.

So many great shots

Pops have a gate in front that prevents the ball from returning down the middle. It feels the ball to the top right flipper. Very cool

Trex really moves throughout the game at all angles.

Cab art is still the weakest point but better in person

Animations were nice. Trex car chase really cool

Nerdy has a light on the right outlane that when lit he will say something

Overall no doubt I'm buying. Stern has a hit and the code is not even all there yet.

Btw VERY strong indications from folks in the know that turtles will be coming in December. I told the Stern rep if it happens and they go with the 90s version they are going to kill it. Be

Right ramp then corkscrew delivers the ball back fast

#780 3 months ago

Thanks to all the awesome people that help make this amazing show/tournament happen.

This was my second pinburgh (first was two years ago). It was vastly improved even when I thought it couldn’t get much better.

Thanks to everyone that came up to me to say hello. I always love meeting new pinheads and getting to know them a little bit.

Hopefully next time I can creep into that top 40!! Can’t wait.

#781 3 months ago

Awesome show, my first Pinburgh!! Big thanks to those who put in all the hard hours and time to get this together (and still tearing it all down the next weeks).
    I was a little disappointed in my qualifying performance, but the level of players overall was off the hook!!! Did come back and redeemed myself a bit by qualifying for E playoffs, but still aiming to play better next time. Extremely small differential between the divisions.

Some quick back of the napkin analysis:
    60 points possible during qualifying
    Keith Elwin - 52
    2nd place was 47
    A dozen or so top tier players were in the 40s
    Then the scoring got tight, as everyone was beating up on everyone else:
    A Division Low qualifier by points - 35
    B Division Low qualifier by points - 32
    C Division Low qualifier by points - 29
    D Division Low qualifier by points - 26
    These numbers only show the point qualifiers, it didn’t take into account the restriction of some players into a division.
    Basically with 3 points going to the winner of a match to 0 for the loser it’s a difference of one game per division.

Wow......

#782 3 months ago
    Quoted from AUKraut:

3 points going to the winner of a match to 0 for the loser it’s a difference of one game per division.

Yeah, thanks for the reminder that if I hadn't started off like crap Thursday, I could have been a contender

#783 3 months ago
    Quoted from Whysnow:

The main con is the really bad PA system which just echoes in the hall and sounds like the peanuts teacher. It is super loud, distracting and disrespectful to be in the audio space of 80% of your players (b c d and e playoffs are going on while a playoff commentators are blasting in their space).

We started this last year and improved the audio this year. There is still more work to be done, but we've received so much positive feedback on this change I don't think we will abandon this concept.

We thought about moving the B,C,D, and E finalists out towards the front of the Pinburgh area, farther away from the main stage, but I think the risk of a non-tournament guest wandering into the area out front and disrupting the event is rather high.

#784 3 months ago
    Quoted from Rondogg:

I wasn't at the event so I didn't hear the announcers in the hall. All I kept thinking was that it was disrespectful of the A finalists to have the announcers yapping away at their play or speculating as to which shots to hit. If it was booming to the other level competitors I can't imagine why they'd keep doing it. Everything looked great from home. They moved the player camera to the front so it shows the audience as a background which was nice. The lighting was great but it was better last year and even the TD onstage cleaned up a bit and looked less slothlike. They even had a good mix of on air commentators, much better this year.

We've done the PA thing two years in a row now, and the feedback we have received from tournament players and non-tournament players has been tremendous.

Part of what we try to do at ReplayFX/Pinburgh is to increase the spectacle and production value for the in-house viewer and elevate the tournament finals at the same time and attract sponsors to our sport. The PA system is part of this.

Also, I'm glad I was less sloth-like this year!

#785 3 months ago

I was very happy to play a full day and finish 185th. Then disappointed that I was bumped down to B division. Missing out on a chance at the title and possibly all those IFPA points really sucked. I don't think any top player should be restricted to A alone. I out-played many people who were handed a spot in the division, crushing my chance to win something I worked so hard for. The highest restriction should be B imo.

The tournament itself was awesome. I had the best experience ever (my first Pinburgh). The repair crew was amazing. I watched them in action whenever I had the chance. What a crew!

The website was phenomenal. The streams were excellent. Location, excitement, all the added elements like a secondary tournament and tons of free play banks: top notch!

I can't wait to return, hopefully next year. I wonder if this event can last two weekends and accommodate 2,000 instead of 1,000?...

#786 3 months ago

I loved the stream considering I couldn't attend this year. Well done explaining the games and the strategy

#787 3 months ago
    Quoted from MEuRaH:

I was very happy to play a full day and finish 185th. Then disappointed that I was bumped down to B division. Missing out on a chance at the title and possibly all those IFPA points really sucked. I don't think any top player should be restricted to A alone.

I don't think I would like to see players like Cayle George and Steve Bowden beating everyone up in B division.
    Also, I believe the restrictions are where they are at because of sandbagging that occurred in the past where players who were near the bottom of A made sure to not do too well in round 5 so that they would be in the top of B instead.

#788 3 months ago
    Quoted from ninjadoug:

We started this last year and improved the audio this year. There is still more work to be done, but we've received so much positive feedback on this change I don't think we will abandon this concept.
    We thought about moving the B,C,D, and E finalists out towards the front of the Pinburgh area, farther away from the main stage, but I think the risk of a non-tournament guest wandering into the area out front and disrupting the event is rather high.

Audio was best yesterday during intergalactic finals. Then the big one went back on for wipt and it was insanely loud again.

Seriously, just look into some sort of short wave rf system. It will be better quality for those that want to listen and less disruption for those that don’t.

I am amazed that you continue to work directly against the nonA players with this clear disruption and to do it with full catering only to the A players.

Keep doing the stream as it is great. Fix the audio. If a bunch of cranked out rave kids are able to set up silent raves in abandoned warehouses then you guys should be able to also

Curious if you guys have gone out into other areas and actually experienced it?

You need audio, but the current setup is still a net negative and not really fair to the experience of others that fought hard to be in their finals. Remember, audio space is the same as physical space. ESP for many of the players at this level.

#789 3 months ago
    Quoted from MEuRaH:

I was very happy to play a full day and finish 185th. Then disappointed that I was bumped down to B division. Missing out on a chance at the title and possibly all those IFPA points really sucked. I don't think any top player should be restricted to A alone. I out-played many people who were handed a spot in the division, crushing my chance to win something I worked so hard for. The highest restriction should be B imo.

I had a similar outcome last year: Finished day 1 tied for 139 and lost the auto-tiebreaker to end up near the top of B. I was fine with it, because the division restrictions and their effects were well known before I signed up for the event. I also enjoyed getting to start day 2 near the top of a division for the first time.

I think the amount of outcry over a top 50 player winning the B, C, or D division would be louder, and a much worse look, than we get with the current system.

#790 3 months ago
    Quoted from Whysnow:

Audio was best yesterday during intergalactic finals. Then the big one went back on for wipt and it was insanely loud again.
    Seriously, just look into some sort of short wave rf system. It will be better quality for those that want to listen and less disruption for those that don’t.
    I am amazed that you continue to work directly against the nonA players with this clear disruption and to do it with full catering only to the A players.
    Keep doing the stream as it is great. Fix the audio. If a bunch of cranked out rave kids are able to set up silent raves in abandoned warehouses then you guys should be able to also
    You need audio, but the current setup is still a net negative and not really fair to the experience of others that fought hard to be in their finals. Remember, audio space is the same as physical space. ESP for many of the players at this level.

The sound seemed pretty good to me during finals if you were in the "chair section," any further back and it sounded more garbled and annoying. The sound was better than last year, with room for more improvement. The number of spectators probably had a lot to do with the varying sound as well - with the entire seating section full for the end of A finals, the sound was much better and less echo-y than during WIPT when there were more empty seats bouncing sound around during the smaller Sunday session of Replay FX, or during the early rounds of A finals. I didn't check out IG so can't say about that.

I'm sure they'll continue to tweak this formula. Players I talked to said the sound didn't bother them - remember the speakers weren't pointed at them and that makes a huge difference. It's worth the continued effort to promote and develop pinball as a live spectator experience and this will have to be a part of it.

It would be great also if a large screen (if not the audio) were at the opposite end of the hall, so that all show attendees know that a couple hundred yards away the world championship is in progress.

#791 3 months ago
    Quoted from Whysnow:

I am only speaking about the Pinburgh finals, but for that the audio was fine. This isn't golf or tennis where everyone needs to be quiet. Distractions are part of playing competitive pinball in public / show settings. I would not want to watch a finals where all the spectators are wearing headphones not talking to anyone. The social experience watching the finals with friends is a big part of it.

#792 3 months ago
    Quoted from stevevt:

I had a similar outcome last year: Finished day 1 tied for 139 and lost the auto-tiebreaker to end up near the top of B. I was fine with it, because the division restrictions and their effects were well known before I signed up for the event. I also enjoyed getting to start day 2 near the top of a division for the first time.
    I think the amount of outcry over a top 50 player winning the B, C, or D division would be louder, and a much worse look, than we get with the current system.

I thought the whole point of restrictions was to make it fair. I don't see how people not having good enough records for A, B, C, or D still getting in and bumping other people down is fair. The people that got bumped lose out on a ton of IFPA points.

My thought is if you are restricted and don't make it into your restricted division your tournament is over. I imagine some wonn't like that but as of right now it sure feels to me like the system is setup to keep the top players up in the top division to keep more of the IFPA points.

I would love to have a discussion as to why it is done the current way. I know sandbagging is a thing, but if you don't make it into the division you are restricted to and are done for the weekend sandbagging goes away.

#793 3 months ago

I assumed that all restricted players are simply added to their restricted division after the legit 200 spots were filled. When i learned this wasn’t the case, I agreed that it doesn’t seem fair.

I would be for the day is done if you don’t make your restricted division, the only thing would be where to they get put in the finals standings when submitting to the Ifpa? Not sure how that would work.

#794 3 months ago
    Quoted from thirdedition:

My thought is if you are restricted and don't make it into your restricted division your tournament is over.

You're probably describing the fairist version of the tournament. But I don't see any way it would be as popular or successful as the version we have now.

In your scenario, I would actually consider either not attending Pinburgh or limiting the number of events I play in to keep from coming into Pinburgh with too high a seed.

With the current system, we get a handful -- or even a whole lot -- of people who are unhappy being bumped down. But it still sells out in 5 seconds with a bunch of people on the waitlist.

#795 3 months ago

I was in C finals when the PA started up. At first, during testing, it was really disruptive as it was coming in abrupt, unexpected bursts. Once the initial testing was over it was a steady, unintelligible drone and was totally fine. Maybe in the future suspend B-E finals play during the brief testing/startup period.

#796 3 months ago
    Quoted from chuckwurt:

I assumed that all restricted players are simply added to their restricted division after the legit 200 spots were filled. When i learned this wasn’t the case, I agreed that it doesn’t seem fair.

I suspect that logistics are what keeps this one from happening. Imagine:
    * 60 people are tied for spots 171 through 230 at the end of day 1.
    * 18 players are A restricted but didn't make the top 200 at the end of day 1.

Do you make the A division all 248 players who scored down to the natural cutoff? If so, you could very, very easily end up with an E division with 10 people in it unless you inserted other rules like allowing some of those people in spot 171 through 230 to be in A but not others. You'd need either a random, played out, or skill-based tiebreaker. In any of these scenarios, you'd still end up with people with legitimate complaints that they played well enough to make the A division but were bumped down by players with restrictions.

#797 3 months ago
    Quoted from stevevt:

You're probably describing the fairist version of the tournament. But I don't see any way it would be as popular or successful as the version we have now.
    In your scenario, I would actually consider either not attending Pinburgh or limiting the number of events I play in to keep from coming into Pinburgh with too high a seed.
    With the current system, we get a handful -- or even a whole lot -- of people who are unhappy being bumped down. But it still sells out in 5 seconds with a bunch of people on the waitlist.

I also got bumped out of A division to be the number 1 seed in B. I made it to the B finals but would rather have been in A and not make the finals than be bumped out of A and play in B finals. Still a great tournament and had a great time. But was disappointed I wasn't able to play in A even though I played better than other A players with restrictions. I would like to see changes made to prevent this but I don't know what it would be.

#798 3 months ago
    Quoted from kguenther6:

But was disappointed I wasn't able to play in A even though I played better than other A players with restrictions. I would like to see changes made to prevent this but I don't know what it would be.

Not sure how many Pinburghs you've played in, but the organizers have used a bunch of different divisional tiebreaking systems throughout the years. They refine the process. They see how it works in the real world. They take feedback on how to improve.

I understand the disappointment of not making the A division. I'm glad you still had a good time.

#799 3 months ago
    Quoted from stevevt:

I suspect that logistics are what keeps this one from happening. Imagine:
    * 60 people are tied for spots 171 through 230 at the end of day 1.
    * 18 players are A restricted but didn't make the top 200 at the end of day 1.
    Do you make the A division all 248 players who scored down to the natural cutoff? If so, you could very, very easily end up with an E division with 10 people in it unless you inserted other rules like allowing some of those people in spot 171 through 230 to be in A but not others. You'd neither either a random, played out, or skill-based tiebreaker. In any of these scenarios, you'd still end up with people with legitimate complaints that they played well enough to make the A division but were bumped down by players with restrictions.

Yeah you’re right. Hard to find a system that screws no one. That’s for sure.

#800 3 months ago
    Quoted from stevevt:

Not sure how many Pinburghs you've played in, but the organizers have used a bunch of different divisional tiebreaking systems throughout the years. They refine the process. They see how it works in the real world. They take feedback on how to improve.
    I understand the disappointment of not making the A division. I'm glad you still had a good time.

I understand tie breakers might bump me out. But I had a better record than 19 other players that were put in A due to restrictions. So it wasn't just tie breakers that bumped me out as I had a better record than 19 other people that got put into A and not the same record and lost by tie breaker.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
    $ 40.00
    Playfield - Decals
    Great American Pinball
    $ 39.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Sparky Pinball
    $ 30.00
    Electronics
    Third Coast Pinball
    $ 7,299.00
    Pinball Machine
    Flip N Out Pinball
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    $ 29.95
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    ULEKstore
    $ 189.00
    Displays
    Boston Pinball Company
    Cabinet - Other
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 69.95
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    Super Skill Shot Shop
    $ 27.99
    Eproms
    Matt's Basement Arcade
    $ 27.99
    Eproms
    Matt's Basement Arcade
    Lighting - Under Cabinet
    Rock Custom Pinball
    $ 5,599.00
    Pinball Machine
    Operation Pinball
    $ 14.95
    $ 159.99
    Lighting - Other
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    € 3.95
    Flipper Parts
    Multigame
    $ 19.95
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    ULEKstore
    $ 25.00
    Cabinet - Other
    Pin Monk
    $ 99.99
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 11.95
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    ULEKstore
    $ 24.95
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    Hookedonpinball.com
    $ 2.50
    Playfield - Decals
    Doc's Pinball Shop
    $ 30.00
    Various Novelties
    Game Room Info Shop
    $ 169.00
    Cabinet - Toppers
    Little Shop Of Games
    There are 1083 posts in this topic. You are on page 16 of 22.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside