EB45F49B-6712-411D-9843-2FE0CD365866 (resized).jpeg
pasted_image (resized).png
pasted_image (resized).png
SwitchDeleteCompare (resized).jpg
MaelstromHiddenSwitch (resized).jpg
Now-Available (resized).png
#1 4 years ago

Now-Available (resized).pngNow-Available (resized).png

So there is a huge black box in the middle of your playfield, want that gone? Then you just need this mod.

We've designed a way to move that switch to a hidden location under the ramp. The solution is plug and play. There are two screws to remove the old switch, that's it. Everything you need is included. The switch is entirely replaceable if you ever need to and is a generic pinball part. The connections are all made for you, just pop it in. There is nothing to assemble.

Since we don't want to post details of our mechanism design, we can show you what it looks like when installed. You can't see anything? That's the point. It's there, gotta look close. Final piece will be translucent with paint to match the maelstrom ramp color and texture so even if you could see it, it would fit right in.

https://pinballmods.co/maelstrom-hidden-switch-mod-jjp-potc

Stay tuned for our Maelstrom Wave mod which will allow you to hide the little tab on your ramp and is completely reversible. Also, your other option is to just dremel off that tab. I am happy to post of video of the easiest and safest way to do this. Either way no more ugly switch.

MaelstromHiddenSwitch (resized).jpgMaelstromHiddenSwitch (resized).jpg

#2 4 years ago

Vid be nice to see...looks cool

#3 4 years ago

SOmeone else suggested before and after. I'll do both in a sec. My game is sort of a mess right now.

#4 4 years ago

Arrrrrr, a video ye wants and a video ye gets!

It's long, I guess... I wanted to talk about our options and plans. You only need to watch a minute or something to see the comparison. Pictures also included. Tried to be as accurate as possible. I don't want to share the mechanism for somewhat obvious reasons now. Sorry for shaky cam, still dealing with my old crappy phone and meds which make my hands shake. Gotta order one of those gimbal things for the phone.

SwitchDeleteCompare (resized).jpgSwitchDeleteCompare (resized).jpg
#5 4 years ago

great idea!

#6 4 years ago
Quoted from Heater:

great idea!

Ty... cutting off my tab tonight! Maelstrom circumcision.

#7 4 years ago

Here's the installation video

Here's some information on cutting the tab

After I sanded and flame polished the cut edge. Smooth as a baby's behind. And that view!

pasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).png
#8 4 years ago

Not very "pirate-e" without the pirate flag. There's your next mod.

#9 4 years ago
Quoted from CLEllison:

Not very "pirate-e" without the pirate flag. There's your next mod.

Which flag, where?

We have a flag mod actually, lol. I don't think I posted about it yet, or maybe I hinted somewhere. I just got the lighting in for it, I'll be posting soon.

2 weeks later
3 weeks later
#11 4 years ago

Tech note for anyone having issues with their switches. I don't know if this is common knowledge or maybe just a problem with this batch of switches but it seems like the contacts need to be burnished/sanded to make a better contact on some of the switches. I had two people report issues and I just found a switch here that had the same issue. I pulled a piece of sandpaper through the switch both ways a few times to sand down the contacts ever so slightly. Whatever was on them came off and the contact was solid and strong each time. 200-400 grit should be good, an emery board, contact burnisher, etc. If you don't have these things let me know, I'll send some out.

1 year later
#12 3 years ago

Ball is having trouble getting past my switch, it often gets stuck

#13 3 years ago
Quoted from Mrsiyufy:

Ball is having trouble getting past my switch, it often gets stuck

I'll see if I can find the image, if not I'll take another.

The tip of the switch should be pushed far forward under the horizontal wrung on the habit trail / ball guide. Most people I've heard from who have this issue have the switch nub only part of the way inserted. You have to sort of hold the nub down and push it forward under the wrung to get it fully pushed in to place.

#14 3 years ago

This is the position on mine where the balls are getting stuck

857A1D1E-CB0A-4794-8716-5F436D54CE73 (resized).jpeg857A1D1E-CB0A-4794-8716-5F436D54CE73 (resized).jpegDC585408-04EE-4093-B4E9-94D6C7F31EE5 (resized).jpegDC585408-04EE-4093-B4E9-94D6C7F31EE5 (resized).jpegEB45F49B-6712-411D-9843-2FE0CD365866 (resized).jpegEB45F49B-6712-411D-9843-2FE0CD365866 (resized).jpeg
#15 3 years ago

Exactly. Just pull the little nub down and push the whole assembly further forward so the nub goes under the cross bar it is sitting up against. It should be in front of that bar. While that piece looks like it should hug that bar, it was unintentional and should be in front of it as that is what the ball hits to trigger the switch so it needs to have free movement up and down.

pasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).png

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/-maelstrom-hidden-switch-mod-by-pmc- and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.