DSCN1172 (resized).JPG
DSCN1171 (resized).JPG
DSCN1173 (resized).JPG
jppf19 (resized).JPG
E97CC903-EEA6-4C5C-9EBF-6073740FE7F1 (resized).jpeg
jp (resized).png
9b38ea4eccea7d65ead44b5a1f6cdde022f030b5 (1) (resized).jpg
#1 5 years ago

I played a Joker Poker EM and enjoyed it but didn't like the SS version..I'm talking about playability.

I prefer the SS rule set with the drops resetting too..I am perplexed.Both machines are in great shape. Does anyone know if there is a different feel to the

pin as it is an EM versus a SS table.Am I missing something? Thanks)

#2 5 years ago

I'm an EM guy all the way, and although the EM versions are scarcer and more desirable from a collector''s standpoint, I think the SS versions play better. At about this time, games simply became too fast and too complex for EM technology to keep up.
SS technology was a major breakthrough in pinball evolution, and it came along at just the right time.
The only two SS machines I own are "Joker Poker" and "Mata Hari". I'd love to own the EM versions, but it's the SS ones I played back in the day.

#3 5 years ago

Joker Poker is such a great game. The drops resetting on the SS version is a must imo. If I was on a desert island and could only have 5 pins, JP would be one of the 5.

#4 5 years ago

SS for sure

#5 5 years ago

Ss is better for sure. People just like the em for rarity

#6 5 years ago

EM Joker Poker also only has a double bonus as opposed to the 5x bonus the SS game has, presumably to keep scores lower since the EM only goes to 199,990.

I own an EM Cleopatra, and I've played SS Cleopatras at shows. Some takeaways I've noticed, is that they have identical gameplay feels. All the coils and flippers between the EM and SS versions during this time were DC driven. However, the EM version is slightly slower, simply because it had to tally scores, and the "scanning bonus" Gottlieb loved using moves much faster in the SS version, since it would intelligently skip non matches.

So I guess it would really boil down to personal preference. I know if it were me, I'd take the EM version all day. They're not different enough for me to really notice a difference, and the EMs are just super cool and alluring.

#7 5 years ago

how's this for eye candy !

9b38ea4eccea7d65ead44b5a1f6cdde022f030b5 (1) (resized).jpg9b38ea4eccea7d65ead44b5a1f6cdde022f030b5 (1) (resized).jpg
#8 5 years ago

Played the SS version at a show in south Florida (Ape) several years ago and loved it. Very fun game!

#9 5 years ago
Quoted from Mercury:

I am perplexed.Both machines are in great shape

I own the SS and love it, and I'm a EM guy, but the SS game play is great.

As far as which one to buy; it they the same price, the em is proably the better deal with only 820 being made it's more collectible, on the SS side the first thing to check is the boards, if they are original/non-working there is a cost to replace that shoud be considered.

#10 5 years ago

The PFs are the same AFAIK. The SS yields 5X bonus vs 2X for the EM.
I worked on an EM a long time ago...it was a booger to get that 5X bonus scoring correctly.
--
Chris Hibler - CARGPB #31
http://www.ChrisHiblerPinball.com/Contact
http://www.PinWiki.com - The Place to go for Pinball Repair Info

#11 5 years ago

The PF features may be the same, but the artwork is different between the EM & SS.
At the least, the EM has a clownface under the crown just below the Jacks and Queens banks, whereas the SS only has the crown.

#12 5 years ago

Obviously, the backglasses are vastly different as well, unlike many other EM/SS pairs.

#13 5 years ago
Quoted from Runbikeskilee:

The PF features may be the same, but the artwork is different between the EM & SS.
At the least, the EM has a clownface under the crown just below the Jacks and Queens banks, whereas the SS only has the crown.

Yes. Artwork is different. I meant that the inserts were all in the same place but the bonus multiplier is a different value.

Chris Hibler - CARGPB #31
http://ChrisHiblerPinball.com/contact/
http://www.PinWiki.com - The new place for pinball repair info

#14 5 years ago
Quoted from luch:

how's this for eye candy !
[quoted image]

Nice combo....
If one of them must go....which one to keep?

#15 5 years ago
Quoted from Theo_Ioannis:

Nice combo....
If one of them must go....which one to keep?

The one on the wall ! lol

#16 5 years ago

To add, it looks like there are additional rules differences I forgot about.

In the SS version, you light the 5x bonus by making the card hand that’s lit at the start of each ball.

In the EM version, you can only get the 2x more traditionally by rolling over the 3 rollovers.

#17 5 years ago

I have the EM version and for me, it's probably the #1 multiplayer that I
have set up..
I knew the SS drops reset, but never had played one. Does the drops reset
after they've all been down, or once one set has been completed, that set
immediately resets?
I have an EM Cleo and EM Sinbad also, but never had them set up. I suspect
the Cleo is the better of the two (playibility wise), but wonder if Cleo's game play
competes with J.P.'s..

#18 5 years ago
Quoted from ChrisHibler:

Yes. Artwork is different. I meant that the inserts were all in the same place but the bonus multiplier is a different value.

I’ve contemplated grabbing one of CPR’s reproduction playfields for the SS version and putting it into my Joker Poker EM. I’d just need to fabricate a 2x sticker decal to apply atop the 5x bonus label. I would miss the goofy clown face, however.

Another funny thing about the EM version is the printing error around the joker’s “legs”. The SS version doesn’t have this problem.

Wood, Not WhiteWood, Not White

#19 5 years ago

I played both Joker Pokers and the SS just feels so much more powerful and plays smooth and quicker than the EM game. It never misses scoring any point values even if you rip down two, three drop targets in one flip.
Having the chime unit built in helps out a great deal in having the SS sounding like an Em.

E97CC903-EEA6-4C5C-9EBF-6073740FE7F1 (resized).jpegE97CC903-EEA6-4C5C-9EBF-6073740FE7F1 (resized).jpegjppf19 (resized).JPGjppf19 (resized).JPG
#20 5 years ago

So Vic, have to ask. Keys hanging from the ceiling?

#21 5 years ago
Quoted from Mopar:

Does the drops reset
after they've all been down, or once one set has been completed, that set
immediately resets?

[solid state only]

The queens reset after you get the 3 queens. All queens are worth 5K at that point, even if you're not on ball 3.
The kings reset after you get the 4 kings. All kings are worth 5K at that point, even if you're not on ball 4.
The aces reset after you complete the aces. All aces are worth 5K at that point, even if you're not on ball 5.

The 10 and jacks are tied together. You need to get all 3 drops for them to reset.

#22 5 years ago
Quoted from DCRand:

So Vic, have to ask. Keys hanging from the ceiling?

I have all the matching red key chains to each machine hanging from the ceiling in all 4 gamerooms in the house. Good eye by the way.

Here are pictures of the basement gameroom. If you look closely you can spot the keys hanging. I did this when our sons were younger to keep them from getting to the keys to avoid issues. It was also an easy location for me when I need to open the game up for any reason. I also had matching red milk crates under every game when the boys were young, so they didn't have to drag or carry the crate to every game they played.

DSCN1169 (resized).JPGDSCN1169 (resized).JPGDSCN1171 (resized).JPGDSCN1171 (resized).JPGDSCN1172 (resized).JPGDSCN1172 (resized).JPGDSCN1173 (resized).JPGDSCN1173 (resized).JPG
#23 5 years ago
Quoted from stevevt:

All queens are worth 5K at that point, even if you're not on ball 3.

Okay, so if I'm understanding this accurately, once on ball 3, the Queens are worth 5,000, and same with
the Kings on ball 4, and Aces on 5?

#24 5 years ago
Quoted from Mopar:

Okay, so if I'm understanding this accurately, once on ball 3, the Queens are worth 5,000, and same with
the Kings on ball 4, and Aces on 5?

Yes

#25 5 years ago
Quoted from Vic_Camp:

I have all the matching red key chains to each machine hanging from the ceiling in all 4 gamerooms in the house. Good eye by the way.
Here are pictures of the basement gameroom. If you look closely you can spot the keys hanging. I did this when our sons were younger to keep them from getting to the keys to avoid issues. It was also an easy location for me when I need to open the game up for any reason. I also had matching red milk crates under every game when the boys were young, so they didn't have to drag or carry the crate to every game they played.[quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

Great idea, wish I had room / basement for multiple game rooms. Your a lucky and smart man.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Trade
Machine - For Trade
Fernie, BC
Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

$ 100.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

$ 7.50
Hey modders!
Your shop name here

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/-joker-poker-em-differences?hl=bankshot and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.