(Topic ID: 310217)

Experiences with Stern "display" games? What flaws did you find?

By RustyLizard

2 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 20 posts
  • 9 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 2 years ago by DaveH
  • Topic is favorited by 2 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_0706 (resized).jpeg
    IMG_0698 (resized).jpeg
    Screenshot_20220216-102533_Chrome (resized).jpg

#1 2 years ago

I would like to hear about your experiences buying Stern "display" games. I know playfield is branded as Display and game would have a cosmetic flaw. I am interested in hearing what issues you have found when buying one of these games.

#2 2 years ago

Does it mean there is a flaw or just that it was used on display, i.e. like a 'floor model'?

#3 2 years ago

are these boxed from stern? Where do you buy these?

#4 2 years ago
    Quoted from oPinsesame:

Does it mean there is a flaw or just that it was used on display, i.e. like a 'floor model'?

I am just learning about these but I am told there is a flaw found in final production. Maybe a wrong color insert or a scratch. They can be used for show games but some are sold new in box. My knowledge of these is limited so trying to learn.

#5 2 years ago

I bought a Star Wars pro that was at a show in Vegas at the Stern booth.
    It was packed back up like new, and just had play on it. They had also installed Mylar protection around the flipper buttons, bonus!
    I didn’t notice any kind of flaw, and never saw any “display” identification.
    I may have had a SN indicator, I don’t recall.
    Game has been rock solid on location for years, tens of thousands of plays.

#6 2 years ago
    Quoted from nicoy3k:

I have only ever come in contact with two of them. One was a friend asking what it meant and if he should be concerned about buying it used from a collector. The other is a NIB that I am probably going to buy.

#7 2 years ago
    Quoted from nicoy3k:

I think what the OP is meaning is floor/demo models. If you are buying from a distributor and it’s a NEW game still being produced any issue would be covered by warranty as if it were new….there could be some wear on the playfield but usually little if any. Many people have bought games at shows that were unboxed and setup for people to play during the show (usually for a slight discount) but I have never heard of any major issues as long as you bought from someone reputable.

#8 2 years ago
    Quoted from DNO:

I bought a Star Wars pro that was at a show in Vegas at the Stern booth.
    It was packed back up like new, and just had play on it. They had also installed Mylar protection around the flipper buttons, bonus!
    I didn’t notice any kind of flaw, and never saw any “display” identification.
    I may have had a SN indicator, I don’t recall.
    Game has been rock solid on location for years, tens of thousands of plays.

The games I am talking about are specifically branded as DISPLAY GAME under the playfield.

Screenshot_20220216-102533_Chrome (resized).jpgScreenshot_20220216-102533_Chrome (resized).jpg
    #9 2 years ago
    Quoted from Pickle:

I think what the OP is meaning is floor/demo models. If you are buying from a distributor and it’s a NEW game still being produced any issue would be covered by warranty as if it were new….there could be some wear on the playfield but usually little if any. Many people have bought games at shows that were unboxed and setup for people to play during the show (usually for a slight discount) but I have never heard of any major issues as long as you bought from someone reputable.

NO!

#10 2 years ago
    Quoted from RustyLizard:The games I am talking about are specifically branded as DISPLAY GAME under the playfield.
    [quoted image]

Hmm. Never seen that before. Maybe someone else has seen this before and knows more about it.

#11 2 years ago

Never heard or seen this type before. Always thought floor model myself...

#12 2 years ago

I've bought a couple of Blemish machines. It is printed on the box, but I haven't seen anything marked on the pf itself, I'll have to go look.

I also haven't noticed any issues with these, but I'm not as picky as some others.

#13 2 years ago
    Quoted from RustyLizard:

The games I am talking about are specifically branded as DISPLAY GAME under the playfield.

I've never seen one of these. Interesting picture you showed. However, rare. Not rare as in "valuable", but rare as in there aren't many of them.

Quoted from RustyLizard:

and game would have a cosmetic flaw

It sounds like you know more about this than most people. Is that "something someone told you"? Or is that information from Stern (notice how I said Stern, not "distributor").

#14 2 years ago
    Quoted from DaveH:

I've never seen one of these. Interesting picture you showed. However, rare. Not rare as in "valuable", but rare as in there aren't many of them.

It sounds like you know more about this than most people. Is that "something someone told you"? Or is that information from Stern (notice how I said Stern, not "distributor").

I am assuming lower value and no value placed on rarity. Stern has told me nothing as I have no contacts there. I am sure there are people who know more than me so looking for experiences with them.

It probably won't affect my purchase decision but I am sure there are certain collectors who wouldn't consider buying. I find it interesting.

#15 2 years ago

I received a Godzilla Premium Display Game back in December. My distributor had several of these to choose from. They all had some kind of playfield defect that was marked with a specific Stern "code". The one I chose had the code "Minor solder splash on “Damage Meter Insert” ".

When I got it, there was a blob of solder wedged into the corner of the bottom right damage meter insert. I grabbed some small pliers and easily pried it out, and you literally cannot see anything from the top of the playfield. I would have been reluctant to take one that had a defect that was visible from above the playfield.

Some details on these machines from the distributor:

- Full Factory Warranty (minus the one defect that was disclosed - I couldn't file a warranty repair on that single problem)
    - Practically no discount, apart from free shipping. Given how minor the issue was, and that I could correct it, I was ok with this.

Given how difficult it is to get a GZ premium, and due to the fact that my original distributor F*#&#$ed me over, I was very pleased with the purchase.

The words DISPLAY GAME are stamped on the bottom of the playfield.

p.s. If my original distributor does come through with my preordered GZ Premium in March, I'll be selling this one. It will be very attractively priced

IMG_0698 (resized).jpegIMG_0698 (resized).jpegIMG_0706 (resized).jpegIMG_0706 (resized).jpeg

#16 2 years ago
    Quoted from TinyBlackDog:

I received a Godzilla Premium Display Game back in December. My distributor had several of these to choose from. They all had some kind of playfield defect that was marked with a specific Stern "code". The one I chose had the code "Minor solder splash on “Damage Meter Insert” ".
    When I got it, there was a blob of solder wedged into the corner of the bottom right damage meter insert. I grabbed some small pliers and easily pried it out, and you literally cannot see anything from the top of the playfield. I would have been reluctant to take one that had a defect that was visible from above the playfield.
    Some details on these machines from the distributor:
    - Full Factory Warranty (minus the one defect that was disclosed - I couldn't file a warranty repair on that single problem)
    - Practically no discount, apart from free shipping. Given how minor the issue was, and that I could correct it, I was ok with this.
    Given how difficult it is to get a GZ premium, and due to the fact that my original distributor F*#&#$ed me over, I was very pleased with the purchase.
    The words DISPLAY GAME are stamped on the bottom of the playfield.
    p.s. If my original distributor does come through with my preordered GZ Premium in March, I'll be selling this one. It will be very attractively priced
    [quoted image][quoted image]

Awesome information. You are the person I was looking for. Where was the code about the solder splash mentioned?

#17 2 years ago
    Quoted from RustyLizard:

Awesome information. You are the person I was looking for. Where was the code about the solder splash mentioned?

I was given the codes for 3 different machines via email by my distributor. I don't believe it exists anywhere else - although it is probably tagged to my serial number in Stern's warranty database.

Not sure if this is some new program that Stern has introduced. I've bought several show machines in the past, but those are very different from these - they are brand new machines that get opened up for public play for several days at a show, and are sold at a discount. These display games are boxed up and delivered just like a brand new machine - minus one small disclosed cosmetic flaw.

#18 2 years ago

I was given the codes for 3 different machines via email by my distributor. I don't believe it exists anywhere else - although it is probably tagged to my serial number in Stern's warranty database.
    Not sure if this is some new program that Stern has introduced. I've bought several show machines in the past, but those are very different from these - they are brand new machines that get opened up for public play for several days at a show, and are sold at a discount. These display games are boxed up and delivered just like a brand new machine - minus one small disclosed cosmetic flaw.

Yes. The word display was leading the people who didn't know to think of show games. In my case I don't have a damage code for this NIB game.

#19 2 years ago
    Quoted from RustyLizard:

Yes. The word display was leading the people who didn't know to think of show games. In my case I don't have a damage code for this NIB game.

I assume the seller doesn't know - can they put you in touch with the original distributor? If not, maybe Stern would be willing to share the information if you called up with the serial number.

#20 2 years ago

I received a Godzilla Premium Display Game back in December.

I learned something today. Thanks for all the great information.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/-experiences-with-stern-display-games-what-flaws-did-you-find?hl=nicoy3k and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.