Topic Stats

• 99 posts
  • 34 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 1 year ago by woody76
  • Topic is favorited by 16 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

There have been 13 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

20170506_in-da-car-what-what (resized).jpg
green plastic (resized).jpg
two brown thingies (resized).png
Devil'sDareBoomerang_(resized).jpg
image_(resized).jpg
image_(resized).jpg
IMG_4549_(resized).jpg
devilsdare.jpg
IMAG0010.jpg
photo-173.JPG
Iphone 2014 072.JPG
DD_instruction_card.jpg
MY_DD.jpg

There are 99 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 2.
#51 2 years ago

I went to pick up my machine and they are having trouble fixing the stand up target lights on the right side. the bottom light will turn on when the stand up is struck, but the upper three won't. The lights come on in test mode, so there is power and connection. They are thinking it is a glitch with the newer mpu board from ni-wumf (spelling?).

has anyone ever seen this? Do you know the fix? Anyone have experience with this board in their Devil's dare? Should I expect problems or are they pretty reliable?

thanks,
aaron

#52 2 years ago

I need the plastic that goes in between the captive hole and the left side drop targets. it is green and boomerang shaped. Does anyone have an extra?

thanks
aaron

#53 2 years ago
Quoted from canoncitypb:

I need the plastic that goes in between the captive hole and the left side drop targets. it is green and boomerang shaped. Does anyone have an extra?
thanks
aaron

There's a good chance I have a spare. I'll check when I get a chance.

Brian

#54 2 years ago

thanks Brian,

aaron

#55 2 years ago

If anyone wants out of the club - I want in. Or if you come across one for sale - please let me know!

#56 2 years ago
Quoted from canoncitypb:

thanks Brian,
aaron

Here you go Aaron. It's in better shape than I thought. PM me your address and it's yours. No charge, just pay it forward.

Regards,

Brian

Devil'sDareBoomerang_(resized).jpg

#57 2 years ago

Brian is Awesome!!

thanks,

1 week later
#58 2 years ago

Joining the club today. Picked up a pretty nice one but it needs a little work. The cabinet will look very nice with just a little touch up paint. The playfield has some wear but I've seen A LOT worse. Back glass has a 1/2" scratch on the upper left where it apparently rubbed on a metal part behind it. Otherwise, very nice. Displays all work and are bright. Even has a manual.

I notice that one of the round brown thingies (technical term) located on the cabinet bottom and close to the coin door is missing. It's the one with the fuse in it. Any ideas why that would be removed and if I should replace it? Photo below obviously isn't from my machine but shows the two thingies I'm referring to.

two brown thingies (resized).png

#59 2 years ago
Quoted from Pindufus:

Joining the club today. Picked up a pretty nice one but it needs a little work. The cabinet will look very nice with just a little touch up paint. The playfield has some wear but I've seen A LOT worse. Back glass has a 1/2" scratch on the upper left where it apparently rubbed on a metal part behind it. Otherwise, very nice. Displays all work and are bright. Even has a manual.
I notice that one of the round brown thingies (technical term) located on the cabinet bottom and close to the coin door is missing. It's the one with the fuse in it. Any ideas why that would be removed and if I should replace it? Photo below obviously isn't from my machine but shows the two thingies I'm referring to.

This does not make complete sense here, let me explain.
The "brown round thingy" is a main line fuse for the power block through incoming voltages and protect the varistor.
The other looks like a line filter.
They generally sit "side by side".
Is this the power toggle switch on this machine?
I cannot remember the positions is my entire SS80 collection went the way of the Dodo many years ago.

If it is blown, the game should not be be working, as the there is a short in the main line unless than line was cut, or the varistor was bypassed.

Normally on System 80 machines, the line fuse and filter (silver box) sit on the plywood "shelf" next to the transformer with the additional fuse block. I do not know why this would be added. Unless the game was modified for overseas use.

The only other thing this could be is a toggle switch and an additional interrupting fuse, but this is repetitive.

#60 2 years ago

It is a domestic game as it has the speech sound board.

The brown thing missing is the main line fuse and it has obviously been bypassed. The other one is the on/off switch. The machine did work as I played it before the purchase. I'm just curious what is wrong with the machine to make someone bypass that fuse.

I haven't fired it up since bringing it home. I've also found that some of the fuses were automotive fuses. I'm being careful before start up again as I don't want to damage any of the original boards.

1 week later
#61 2 years ago

My Devil's Dare just arrived. It is taller than my other games. Is this normal or are my legs too long?

2 weeks later
#62 2 years ago

Hello I am looking for the scans to create a translite to my devil's dare. If anyone can send me by mail would be nice

#63 2 years ago
Quoted from Toniolecastor:

Hello I am looking for the scans to create a translite to my devil's dare. If anyone can send me by mail would be nice

Check with Toyotaboy

#64 2 years ago
Quoted from canoncitypb:

My Devil's Dare just arrived. It is taller than my other games. Is this normal or are my legs too long?

Legs are 27 3/8" front and back. (Pinball Resource site lists as 27")

To my knowledge only Gottliebs with an upper playfield have taller rear legs. My Spirit has 30 7/8" rear.

#65 2 years ago
Quoted from pinster68:

Legs are 27 3/8" front and back. (Pinball Resource site lists as 27")

To my knowledge only Gottliebs with an upper playfield have taller rear legs. My Spirit has 30 7/8" rear.

Thanks for checking. I'll go measure my legs. I'm jealous you have a spirit!

#66 2 years ago

Hi,

My sound card EPROMS (talking version) have decided to eat themselves. Would anyone out there be so kind to PM the source files for the two 2716 EPROMS so that I can burn new ones? The game is just not the same without the sound/voice working.

Cheers,
Mike

1 month later
#67 2 years ago

Does anyone have a Devil's Dare back glass for sale?

#68 2 years ago
Quoted from rob6462:

Does anyone have a Devil's Dare back glass for sale?

I have a repro from BG Resto I may sell. PM me.

Regards,

Brian

2 months later
#69 2 years ago

does anyone have an extra L shaped green plastic for behind the left side drop targets? Someone on this thread was nice enough to send me one that was great, but it was lost before my machine arrived from the shop. If not, does anyone have another green plastic available that i could cut into that shape?

thanks,
aaron

green plastic (resized).jpg

#70 2 years ago
Quoted from canoncitypb:

does anyone have an extra L shaped green plastic for behind the left side drop targets? Someone on this thread was nice enough to send me one that was great, but it was lost before my machine arrived from the shop. If not, does anyone have another green plastic available that i could cut into that shape?
thanks,
aaron

Bummer, sorry to hear. It was I that sent you my only spare. Sorry I don't have another for you.

Brian

#71 2 years ago

Do you have any other green plastics? I'd be willing to pay for it. It looks kind of silly with the one i made for it.

thanks,

#72 2 years ago
Quoted from canoncitypb:

Do you have any other green plastics? I'd be willing to pay for it. It looks kind of silly with the one i made for it.
thanks,

I'll dig. Feel free to PM me specifically what you need.

1 month later
#73 1 year ago

Anyone have a scan of the playfield? Picked up a machine last weekend along with an extra playfield. Both fields are pretty heavily worn, both have half the head missing. Already contacted HSA and they're too busy at the moment, so trying to see what options exist for at least getting one playfield fixed up; overlay or other?

2 weeks later
#74 1 year ago

Anybody looking for a parts machine? Debating selling mine. Could fix it up as it's only missing legs, sound/speech board + sound power supply and 2 of the 7 segment displays. Have an extra playfield, but both fields are heavily worn, about half the devils head missing on both; among other wear. Would make a good donor cab to get others fixed up, or if someone wants a project.

#75 1 year ago

In-da-club
mof

20170506_in-da-car-what-what (resized).jpg

#76 1 year ago
Quoted from mof:

In-da-club
mof

#77 1 year ago

Picked up Steve Charland's very nice Devil's Dare.
It had a known issue at the last show: no sound.
I am a sys80 rookie.

Any help appreciated: https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/devils-dare-wont-boot

Solved it...

thanks!
-mof

#78 1 year ago

Ok so now I have sound. No voice. Is there a setting or dip switch for that
Mof

2 weeks later
#79 1 year ago

What's the going rate for these? There's one local listed at $400. Supposedly been in storage for 20 years, unknown if it's working. I figure I could talk them down to $350.

#80 1 year ago
Quoted from Jason43:

What's the going rate for these? There's one local listed at $400. Supposedly been in storage for 20 years, unknown if it's working. I figure I could talk them down to $350.

As always condition rules. Going rate around $900 for a complete DD without major backglass, playfield, or cabinet issues. $400 sounds very inticing but without details it's hard to say.

3 weeks later
#81 1 year ago

I'm in the club now too! Wow, what a devilish game. Not just the theme but a very tricky player. This ones a keeper!

#82 1 year ago
Quoted from Jeffoto:

I'm in the club now too! Wow, what a devilish game. Not just the theme but a very tricky player. This ones a keeper!

Enjoy. Share a pic when you can.

#83 1 year ago
Quoted from pinster68:

Enjoy. Share a pic when you can.

I will get some pics soon...

say, I wonder if I could ask you all a question about this game because something might be wrong with mine. When you lock 2 balls, a third spits out to the shooter lane and the other two balls are released BEFORE any switches are hit. This doesn't occur in 2-ball multiball and only releases after a switch is hit. Any idea what this could be? All the switches seem to be fine. ROM issue?

Thanks!

#84 1 year ago
Quoted from Jeffoto:

say, I wonder if I could ask you all a question about this game because something might be wrong with mine. When you lock 2 balls, a third spits out to the shooter lane and the other two balls are released BEFORE any switches are hit. This doesn't occur in 2-ball multiball and only releases after a switch is hit. Any idea what this could be? All the switches seem to be fine. ROM issue?
Thanks!

#85 1 year ago
Quoted from Jeffoto:

Thanks!

Sorry, not sure. When I get a chance I'll try tinkering a bit to see if I can replicate the behavior.

#86 1 year ago
Quoted from pinster68:

Sorry, not sure. When I get a chance I'll try tinkering a bit to see if I can replicate the behavior.

I really appreciate it! The game works great otherwise! Thanks!

#87 1 year ago

I figured it out! Since this was only happening for three ball multi-ball but intermittently, I took a chance and adjusted the captive pit switch to make a more solid contact with a ball present on the switch and that was it! Haven't had the issue since! I'll get some pics up soon!

2 months later
#88 1 year ago

ARGGH! I JUST THIS MORNING ACCIDENTALLY (and barely) TAPPED THE BACKGLASS TO THE EDGE OF THE MACHINE causing the whole backglass to explode! I am very very sad.

#89 1 year ago

anyone got an extra back glass?

#91 1 year ago
Quoted from Jeffoto:

anyone got an extra back glass?

Sorry to hear that. This is probably a very tough glass to find.

I would try the following:
1) Pinball Resource (They have a lot of Gottlieb parts, not sure if they have backglasses)
2) Backglass Restore (They would have to have a scan on file since your glass is broke)

Good luck, I'll keep my eyes out as well!

#92 1 year ago

If only they did a repro playfield and plastic set ( especially the centre plastic - mine is really broken!) I have a fair bit of wear around the pops - the paint seems to be thin there. Luckily I picked up a NOS backglass off TNT Amusements years ago ( they have since sold out)

If anyone has a centre plastic I am interested!

PS: there is so much Gottlieb stuff thats needs to be reproduced - Spirit playfield etc

1 week later
#93 1 year ago

Grabbed my first Gottlieb (Devil's Dare) a couple weeks ago. All the board had issues, so I ordered ALL new boards. I also replaced the orange capacitor, some coils, and fixed some broken wires and connectors. Game starts and plays with issues, no sound, no displays, and some coils not firing.

1. I have no sound - Did not have sound before the new boards
2. No displays now, but they worked before the new boards
3. It will start a game now and just about everything works. The drop targets do not reset and the captive pit does not recognize ball or kick ball out.

* Since I replaced all the boards I am assuming I do not need the reset board. I left it out of the mix when I put all the new boards in. There was a wire I had to clip that came off the reset board connector and went to a connector on the MPU board.

*does anyone have the dip switch settings for the sound and MPU boards? My new boards are swemmer boards

#94 1 year ago
Quoted from woody76:

Grabbed my first Gottlieb (Devil's Dare) a couple weeks ago. All the board had issues, so I ordered ALL new boards. I also replaced the orange capacitor, some coils, and fixed some broken wires and connectors. Game starts and plays with issues, no sound, no displays, and some coils not firing.
3. It will start a game now and just about everything works. The drop targets do not reset and the captive pit does not recognize ball or kick ball out.
* Since I replaced all the boards I am assuming I do not need the reset board. I left it out of the mix when I put all the new boards in. There was a wire I had to clip that came off the reset board connector and went to a connector on the MPU board.
*does anyone have the dip switch settings for the sound and MPU boards? My new boards are swemmer boards

Got sound working - everything else the same

#95 1 year ago
Quoted from woody76:

Long day. I have everything fixed for the most part. I have to order another coil for drop target bank and every now and then, once every 10 games it will pop 2 balls into shooter lane.

So has anyone ever done the free play adjustment? I did it and it works after you hit the button like 8 times and I can only get it to start a 1 player game. How do you get multi-player game started?

#96 1 year ago
Quoted from woody76:

Long day. I have everything fixed for the most part. I have to order another coil for drop target bank and every now and then, once every 10 games it will pop 2 balls into shooter lane.
So has anyone ever done the free play adjustment? I did it and it works after you hit the button like 8 times and I can only get it to start a 1 player game. How do you get multi-player game started?

You said you got new boards. Are these NOS? If they are pascal or something then you will probably find a free play setting on there

1 week later
#97 1 year ago

anyone got any custom instruction cards?

#98 1 year ago

My manaul is missing some pages. Can someone tell me which transistor on the driver board goes to the center 5 bank drop target coil.

2 weeks later
#99 1 year ago

I have a nice one for sale in market if someone is looking to join the club.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
€ 50.00
Boards
FLIPPROJETS
€ 85.00
Boards
FLIPPROJETS
€ 8.40
€ 15.00
Boards
FLIPPROJETS
$ 15.00
Electronics
Third Coast Pinball
Apparel - Unisex
Pinball Wheezer
$ 259.99
$ 38.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts
$ 6.00
Pinball Machine
Great American Pinball
Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods
$ 89.99
Lighting - Led
Lighted Pinball Mods
$ 90.00
Lighting - Under Cabinet
Rock Custom Pinball
$ 209.99
Pinball Machine
Music City Pinball
$ 125.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Sparky Pinball
Lighting - Under Cabinet
Rock Custom Pinball
$ 24.25
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
The MOD Couple
$ 209.99
There are 99 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 2.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside