IMG_20240325_144306 (resized).jpg
IMG_20240325_144347 (resized).jpg
IMG_20230218_134802 (resized).jpg
IMG_20230727_113804 (resized).jpg
thumbnail_IMG_8043 (resized).jpeg
IMG_20220617_180425 (resized).jpg
IMG_20220617_180039 (resized).jpg
20220603_124446 (resized).jpg
There are 160 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 4.
#1 10 years ago

My DD was a barn find in New Jersey. Picked it up dirt cheap and brought it back from the dead. Please share your DD pics, restore and tech info, and any else that suites the cause.

Here's mine after a full teardown, parts tumble, pf polish and wax, new legs, LEDs in the inserts, numerous board fixes, and a new-used back glass. Plays fast and fun.

Just completed all the ground mods a few nights ago. Runs strong and reliable.

On the to-do list: regrain the lockdown bar, new pf glass, more cleaning ... and the endless search for a better blackglass and plastics.

MY_DD.jpgMY_DD.jpg

#2 10 years ago

You may want to look for the correct 3/5 ball instruction card too, the one on the left doesn't belong there.

Steve

DD_instruction_card.jpgDD_instruction_card.jpg

#3 10 years ago
Quoted from blownfuse:

You may want to look for the correct 3/5 ball instruction card too, the one on the left doesn't belong there.
Steve

Yep, thanks Steve for the keen eye ... need to check PBR for that too.

#4 10 years ago

It's a fun game for sure...and one of my favorite art packages.

#5 10 years ago

I would love to find one of these in Southern California. Hear that everyone?

8 months later
#6 9 years ago

I'm happy to say I am in this club. I recently picked one up for Marvin from the Ohio show. The reason he got it was to add variety to next years show. He allowed me to keep it if I promised to bring it to future shows. Its not working quite yet (I'm still learning Gottlieb).
Iphone 2014 072.JPGIphone 2014 072.JPG
The cabinet and backglass are in great shape. PF is a bit worn.

I cannot resist restorations, It's my favorite part of this hobby.
This just arrived from The Pinball Resource.
photo-173.JPGphoto-173.JPG

Cant wait to revive this pin

#7 9 years ago

Cant decide if I want this or Volcano more.

#8 9 years ago

Go for the Devil's Dare.

Steve

Quoted from Chitownpinball:

Cant decide if I want this or Volcano more.

#9 9 years ago

DD is killer....

Volcano is a pile of fun too, but DD is hard to beat in any way shape or form

#10 9 years ago
Quoted from Skypilot:

This just arrived from The Pinball Resource.

Wow, didn't know PBR had DD pf's. Nice! And now tempted.

#11 9 years ago
Quoted from pinster68:

Wow, didn't know PBR had DD pf's.

HAD is the operative word, unfortunately......

http://www.pbresource.com/special.html

#12 9 years ago

Saved mine from the dumpster. Have had it for five years now, but haven't had time to work on it. Have been collecting parts that were missing. Even found a complete set of NOS plastics. Wish I knew more about Gottlieb.

#13 9 years ago

Anyone in the Chicago suburbs work on Gottliebs? I have a real nice DD that isn't working and I'm dying to get it back in the play rotation.

#14 9 years ago
Quoted from vid1900:

Figures. Damn. Double damn.

#15 9 years ago
Quoted from Cheeks:

Anyone in the Chicago suburbs work on Gottliebs? I have a real nice DD that isn't working and I'm dying to get it back in the play rotation.

Pinwiki is your friend. The guides there will get you back in a working state in no time.

#16 9 years ago

Really like the look and sounds of this game. Hope to add it to my collection sooner or later. The playfield picture is breath taking.

3 weeks later
#17 9 years ago

Got mine going today. I messed with it a bit here and there. I replaced the boards with rottendogs.It fired up .Drop targets still not resetting and the pit is not launching the ball. Almost there.

#18 9 years ago
Quoted from Skypilot:

Got mine going today. I messed with it a bit here and there. I replaced the boards with rottendogs.It fired up .Drop targets still not resetting and the pit is not launching the ball. Almost there.

A lot of my oddball symptoms were solved by repinning the connectors. You can try reseating connectors. If symptoms change you know you're on the right track.

#19 9 years ago

I just fixed one yesterday for a friend and turned out it was fuse that he claimed was good.......lol lol I love the DD very good game.

#20 9 years ago

Anyone have the DD manual and can look something up...

I need the transistor that controls the middle insert light of the left drop target bank.

Thanks in advance,

Brian

1 year later
#21 8 years ago

Finally have mine working 100%! Super fun game. One question, I get a lot of airballs. Is this normal for this game?

#23 8 years ago

Recently got mine going too after getting new ni-wumpf board. Haven't noticed many airballs.
My backglass has a lot of flaking, but working on a translight replacement.

2 months later
#24 8 years ago

Just picked mine up this week for a great deal! very excited to have a new pin to work on, and I think the art and sounds on this pin are great! This one had a bad power supply board, and also missing all three pop bumper boards. I have two other sys80 pins so have parts to swap around and fire it up, everything else is good, electronically that is. I ordered new rottendog pop bumper boards and psu repair kit from Big Daddy Enterprises. If you dont know about it its a great store if your repairing system80 games and want to try repairing boards & repinning connectors yourself.

Other than that its pretty dirty and there's a bit of wear in the lower center pf, not too bad though. Plastics are good. Looking forward to the strip down, cleaning, and touch ups.! The backglass is peeling on one corner so gonna attempt sealing that too. I personally don't worry about cabinets too much, don't mind a few dings.

devilsdare.jpgdevilsdare.jpg

1 month later
#25 8 years ago

Started a thread on restoring the worn playfield art on my DD if anyone is interested:

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/devils-dare-pf-touchup

#26 8 years ago

I currently have two DD sadly one is for a buddy as I'd love to put the two together to make one really nice example.

Anyone have a spare BG? The buddies game is missing one and I'm searching high and low for one!

#27 8 years ago

So the voice on my Devil's Dare has never worked. It does have a new power supply in it and the rest of the sounds seem to work fine. This is my first sys80 so any help is appreciated. I do know that the ones that were sent overseas did not have the voice. I don't see any indication that this game went overseas but I don't really know what I'm looking for.

#28 8 years ago

I'll have to look at my sound board ronnie. You could have a reinsert. Who knows.

#29 8 years ago

I just watched this video today and he points out and talks a bit about the speech chip, may be useful info. The chip is obsolete and HH was shipped with them but doesnt use them so that could be a source for one

Cant seem to get the video to start at the correct spot, but 17:30 min is where he talks about the voice chip

#30 8 years ago
Quoted from Jabbles180:

I currently have two DD sadly one is for a buddy as I'd love to put the two together to make one really nice example.
Anyone have a spare BG? The buddies game is missing one and I'm searching high and low for one!

Toyotaboy is working on a translight. I'll post here when ready.

#31 8 years ago
Quoted from Vince_Giannini:

Toyotaboy is working on a translight. I'll post here when ready.

I need one too

#32 8 years ago

I am still in possession of a gorgeous NOS professionally cleared playfield I would sell for a fair price if anyone wishes to go to the next level with DD. PM any interest.

#33 8 years ago

dually noted, nearly finished cleaning up the front.

#34 8 years ago

Hi, My DD only said 1 phrase. I got a new sound board form Swemmer elctronics but haven't tested it yet as I am converting it to 240V as I live in NZ.

#35 8 years ago

The swimmer board should work great. I had to put one in a volcano. It ran flawless and still does.

#36 8 years ago
Quoted from Jabbles180:

The swimmer board should work great. I had to put one in a volcano. It ran flawless and still does.

Played Volcano for the first time, that game has rocked to the top of my want list! Such a fun game!!

2 months later
#37 8 years ago
Quoted from vid1900:

And by some twist of fate I now own that playfield. Just arrived, and beautifully cleared.

Sincere thanks to Skypilot for letting me take it off his hands ... well worth every penny.

IMG_4549_(resized).jpgIMG_4549_(resized).jpg

#38 8 years ago
Quoted from Ronnie1114:

Played Volcano for the first time, that game has rocked to the top of my want list! Such a fun game!!

I've got one for you.

#39 8 years ago
Quoted from Jabbles180:

I've got one for you.

O.o Pm sent!

#40 8 years ago
Quoted from Jabbles180:

I've got one for you.

Volcano is on my list too. A nice CQ one showed up last year ... kicking myself for not jumping on it.

#41 8 years ago
Quoted from pinster68:

Sincere thanks to Skypilot for letting me take it off his hands

I'm thrilled to see this go into a game. Pinster68 was a pleasure to deal with. Cant wait to see the restore

#42 8 years ago

I am still on the hunt for anyone with a spare backglass for devils dare. Any condition as long as it's not a clear piece of glass. I've had my buddies DD forever and am just waiting on finding a backglass to give it back.

Luckily my DD has a backglass and at least helped me get the second DD alive again.

4 months later
#43 7 years ago

I finally got a hold of a U.S DD!
Got rid of a european with bad backglass and the "crappy" sound.
But i got a weird problem, sometimes the talk and "hit" sound disapears.
(Only background sound)
It will not function until the game i over and a new game is started.
After looking at PaPa gameplay,i found 2.42min in that their game also does it!

Is it the same with all U.S DD?

image_(resized).jpgimage_(resized).jpg

image_(resized).jpgimage_(resized).jpg

#44 7 years ago

No one that can check if its a factory default??

#45 7 years ago

On an interesting note, I just inspected TWO Devil's Dares (side by side) owned by Tom Szafransky, the game's designer, less than two weeks ago.
He lives local in the Portland area.
Needless to say, they were not in very good shape, cabinets and boards were rough, but the playfields and backglasses were much better.
Both were undergoing restoration, with the intent to make one good game out of two machines.
I was a little surprised, as normally designers are given one of the first finished prototypes off the production line, and they keep them in their homes.
He said he really did not care in 1982.

3 weeks later
#46 7 years ago

I am considering a local DD. What should I look for to know if it will really hold up and has had its issues addressed? It is fairly expensive and I don't want to run into expensive problems down the line.

thanks for any help.

#47 7 years ago
Quoted from canoncitypb:

I am considering a local DD. What should I look for to know if it will really hold up and has had its issues addressed? It is fairly expensive and I don't want to run into expensive problems down the line.
thanks for any help.

I'd suggest posting to the Gottlieb System 1-80 thread for more general System 80 buying advise. See: https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/home-for-the-gottlieb-sys1-sys-80b-guys-yep-i-guess-it-a-club

Also check out the wealth of info on Pinwiki. Yes, it's quite a lot to take in, but certainly helpful: http://pinwiki.com/wiki/index.php?title=Gottlieb_System_80

For a short list I'd say you want a DD, or any pin for that matter, that is or has:
-a corrosion and hack-free board set
-a solid and zero water damaged cabinet. Look over every inch.
-minimal playfield wear. You'll usually see wear around the pop bumpers first
-working displays, all digits, all segments
-a clean, undamaged (or minimal damage) backglass. DD backglasses are very hard to come by.

Learn how to run the diagnostics.

If it's working when you go to buy it you're in good shape. If it's not working be prepared to haggle big time. System 80 repairs don't have to be expensive, but if you have to hire someone to fix it you'll be kicking yourself if you didn't figure it into the price you paid.

And for full disclosure, here's the rough list on what I put into my non-working, barn-find DD:

Cabinet was solid, playfield good with just a bit of wear around the pops, backglass heavily flaking, dirty, heavily scratched playfield glass, spray painted and wrong type legs.

(All estimated and/or rounded up)
Base game: $300
used backglass: $100
New legs, bolts, levelers: $60
Playfield glass: $100
Pop bumper caps, skirts, drop target set, rubbers: $75
Misc electronic parts: $25
Repro manual; $25

I think I got mine to boot after cleaning all connectors on the boards. Some displays were out requiring a bit of troubleshooting/repairs, but nothing major. Did a ton of cleaning and swapped all the bulbs out with new. Total time maybe 8-10 hours, working at a lazy pace with frequent beer breaks.

Good luck on your hunt.

Brian

#48 7 years ago
Quoted from canoncitypb:

thanks for any help.

Look closely at the back side of the backglass, this one heat flakes.
Everything else is standard "System 80 problems" like grounding issues, pop bumper boards, and PCB connector edge problems.
Repinning everything normally solves the booting issues.
The pop bumper area wear IS common due to those stupid mylar skirts GTB used to protect the area.
It traps dirt and wears the playfields quickly underneath them.
The remaining problems are general DD plastic sets, sunken inserts and any areas with kicker bumpers.
Cabinets and power supplies (rebuilt) were solid construction.

If you are paying more than $1200 for an "average" game, you are being robbed.
Especially if it has not been "bulletproofed" and was sitting in a warehouse or basement for a long time.

#49 7 years ago
Quoted from pinster68:

I'd suggest posting to the Gottlieb System 1-80 thread for more general System 80 buying advise. See: https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/home-for-the-gottlieb-sys1-sys-80b-guys-yep-i-guess-it-a-club

Also check out the wealth of info on Pinwiki. Yes, it's quite a lot to take in, but certainly helpful: http://pinwiki.com/wiki/index.php?title=Gottlieb_System_80

I'm going to check these out. Thanks for the tips. I'd be buying from a dealer, but the game on the showroom floor still had issues. He said they would all be fixed before I came to pick up the game, but I want to be sure they are really doing the "right" things and not just the minimum to get me out of the door.

I'm doing a trade so my total cash investment (including the cash paid for the games I'm trading) would be about $800

The game has generic drop targets instead of DD drops. I see that I can get them through PBR, but was wondering if I could just find some stickers somewhere that would make them look right for less money. Has anyone seen these? I have some self adhesive paper (white and clear) that I could print the image on if anyone has a scan.

Quoted from xTheBlackKnightx:

Especially if it has not been "bulletproofed"

I guess this is what I was looking for. What Bulletproofed means. I'll check the pop bumper boards and wear around the bumpers. I'll check on the grounding wires and board damage. I'll check on the backglass flaking. There is some wear to the playfield, but nothing that bothers me too much. The small plastic behind the left drop targets is missing, so I'll have to see if I can create something new.

Does anyone have an extra one of these plastics?

Thanks guys for your help. I'm excited to join the club if all goes well.

#50 7 years ago
Quoted from canoncitypb:

I see that I can get them through PBR, but was wondering if I could just find some stickers somewhere that would make them look right for less money. Has anyone seen these? I have some self adhesive paper (white and clear) that I could print the image on if anyone has a scan.

I'd just go with new. It's worth going original. That said I "may" have an old set I can sell you for cheap (very cheap). When the time comes just IM me.

Regards,

Brian

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu
There are 160 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 4.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/-devils-dare-owners-thread- and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.