(Topic ID: 130288)

----- Creed of the low end pin man --------------

By dasvis

8 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_7875 (resized).jpeg
    IMG_7874 (resized).jpeg
    IMG_7873 (resized).jpeg
    IMG_7872 (resized).jpeg
    8C442D3F-2ED5-4EFA-9919-65BFEDA982A2 (resized).jpeg
    BFED4407-D7D4-4838-8908-11A1E1CDE797 (resized).jpeg
    95890068-033C-4365-AB85-892B072D980A (resized).jpeg
    AC5FBCD9-EA73-4E8A-9FE5-D986392666F5 (resized).jpeg
    BF876931-6119-4FCF-B7D9-3F23AE987823 (resized).jpeg
    843612B4-4E27-470F-AF25-E99CF374AF9A (resized).jpeg
    7470F4EC-095F-42CD-8E27-50B1ABF6A557 (resized).jpeg
    B580B435-16AE-4C85-A395-E8C0E741A7EB (resized).jpeg
    6AF75C9E-9662-4E74-A09F-0EDDD3105283 (resized).jpeg
    IMG_1132 (resized).jpeg
    IMG_1130 (resized).jpeg
    IMG_1129 (resized).jpeg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider dasvis.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1 8 years ago

Probably been posted before here somewhere, but I came across this gem & it cracked me up.

-----------------------------------------------------
    The Creed of the Low End Pin Man

In a time of pinflation and craigslist tomfoolery and game-rooms becoming like cryptlike shrines - there came to be known the ones called Low End Pin men. This is their creed.

The Low End Pin man craves not to line the walls of his lair with a NIB ACDC BIBLE with latest firmware and foundry cast brass bell mod. Ye Old Medieval Madness and the Clan Addams he avoids, unless the beasts be found on route location or at tourney. Instead the LEP man seeks the true worth of a machine in the form of the Bally Freedom, the GamePlan, the sweaty EM stood on end in a dusty corner. The undeservingly unloved, their rule-sheets short and their #44's dimmed with age and neglect - he cannot resist them.

The Low End Pin man does not wear white gloves while playing. His pintable vibrates and groans with extended play sessions wearing it down to dust while the Low End wizard laughs maniacally. "It's meant to be Played, not Laid" is his motto, mating call and battle cry all rolled into one.

He eschews the mirror blade, the gold plated ball, the handpainted plastic toy, the $400 repopped topper, the subwoofer, the LED generally, the fiber optic, the magic fingers massager and the High-Def Color 3D Smell-O-Vision DMD - these fripperies are not for the Low End Pin man.

The LEP man does not buy what can be borrowed, does not replace what can be repaired, does not repair what can be spit shined, does not spit shine that which is already truly "decent" and "serviceable". He endeavors to make the Low End Pin work with his own hands, via hacked tool, dodgy internet tutorial, paint marker, decoupage, needlepoint, necromancy - whatever it takes. He does not resort to the hired gun for his board work or his coat of clear, except when he finds himself in truly desperate straits.

The LEP man holds his breath when handling his backglass so that the flakes do not take flight and anoint him like so much multicolored dandruff.

The LEP man is not an artist. He does not spray that which may be brushed. He does not brush that which may be wiped or smudged. He does not touch that which may be concealed by post or plastic. He has no problem with quality or workmanship, he just knows that you are not supposed to be able to shave in the reflection off the playfield of that Evil Knievel, dude, WTF?

The low end pin man knows that the truest joy is the short green buy. When he sells the beast on to the Medium pin man, he will realize the cost of his time at $1.50 per hour if he's lucky, but who cares? The memory of the blood and sweat, the project game revived, the ball times long and oh-so-short, the echos of the triple knock shall sustain him until he can dip Low again.

#4 8 years ago
    Quoted from o-din:

I bought a machine from 1950 for $100 last week and have been playing the heck out of it. Does that mean I am a low end pin man? I think not! It just means I have good taste.

Don't sell yourself short....

#7 8 years ago
    Quoted from Collin:

I've got a Top Score that was a $100 Craigslist find a couple years ago; it has a silver dollar-size hole in the wood next to the coin door, splintered and ugly as hell. I mostly drink PBR when I play said game. Is that low end enough?

That counts, you are in.
    Easy fix - just get a hole saw slightly larger & drill the cab out. Then get some scrap plywood that's the same thickness as the cabinet & drill a hole in it. Epoxy the "hole" you cut from the scrap into the cabinet & fill with bondo. Sand, paint, & done. No one will ever know.

Dasvis
    LEP man

#16 8 years ago
    Quoted from SteveFury:

I paid $60 for a United Singapore last summer. Do I qualify?

Yes Steve, you are in. Congrats.

#21 8 years ago
    Quoted from fireball2:

I've never paid more than $600 for a machine (including a JM).
    My average price over 17 games is $375.
    Two Freebies: Playboy (now helping keep the other Ballys going) and Blackjack (Thanks to fellow Pinsider Will - still one of my fave machines).
    Just picked up a sweeeet Buccaneer for $300.
    I am also a great believer in the EM owners' motto: Better is the enemy of good.
    Am I in?

Well, your average price a little high, but I like your attitude. In.

#23 8 years ago
    Quoted from smailskid:

First pin I bought was a year ago non working, dirty $50 Jive Time with no lockdown bar and plexiglass for playfield "glass". Got that running sold it. Second pin, $300 Space Shuttle partially working with a trashed playfield...now 100% not pretty but a good player. Third pin was a partially working EM Night Rider for $200, again now a good player. Love the A list games, but I might like a paying $350 for a dirty, worn but serviceable Eight Ball Deluxe even more. Looking for pin #4 but not on sterns website....

That qualifies, you are officially a LEP man.

Yeah, 8-ball Deluxe is my grail.
    I passed on a very restorable $800 EBD last year, gave the buy it to a buddy as I had no funds.
    (that & as an avid LEP man it was against my principals)

#26 8 years ago
    Quoted from CaptainNeo:

Here I thought this was going to be a thread saying someone in Creed is a pin fan. I know for a fact they are not, and Scott S. is just a dick in general. He wishes he had a cool hobby of some sort.

Well, not everyone can be as cool as we are....

#28 8 years ago
    Quoted from PinballFever:

Just remembered that I bought non working Gottlieb foto finish and JITB for $100 each. The foto finish I went through, got working and sold. The JITB I'm currently working on. Does that for LEP man status?

Hell yes. In

#30 8 years ago
    Quoted from oldskool1969:

GILLIAN'S ISLAND
    LEP special, for those who don't know, don't need to know.

Well, Jubilee & Darling are the standards for EM LEP pins.

#35 8 years ago
    Quoted from Meatneck:

first purchase? $250 planked, mouse pooped, house painted cab, dolly parton. second purchase? too stubborn to let it go, Special Force that I was about to give up on, and had to ask someone else with the same game who had to bring his PF over to find what was wrong with it. 3rd purchase? gottlieb strikes and spares that the last owner was willing to lose 1k on (he paid 1200) almost done with that one. (stupid u8gal chip) last purchase? didnt "purchase" it, was told to go get a hyperball out of his house..BG is a window, cab water damaged, hypercannon rusted in place, but you know..its 100 %Z all there..and the auger may function, it spins freely. it could happen

Nice -- Mouse pooped games earn bonus points to the LEP man as you can normally pick them up for the short green.
    In for sure.

#54 8 years ago
    Quoted from GSones:

If I am drinking 12 year old scotch (instead of my preferred 15) while playing my HEP Medieval Madness with one LED burned out and having to fetch my own caviar because my butler is off tonight, do I still qualify as a L.E.P. man?

No.

#57 8 years ago
    Quoted from JoeNewberry:

I picked up a Williams Jubilee for free to save it from being parted out. The backlass is cracked, the cabinet is delaminating, the playfield has some kind of tar on it, but I will make it work anyway. That creed speaks to my personal philosophy for sure.
    I worked this out a few weeks ago. My average pin price has been about $150. Rescue 911 blew the number up at a whopping $400. Melody Lane from 1960 was $75.

Cool.
    Make that Jubilee into a "rat rod" pin project. Rusty bent legs, taped backglass, beat up coin door, etc. - but make it all work & play as it should. Then take it to a show.........

#61 8 years ago
    Quoted from jjpm:

1. I was paid $100 to remove a Jack In The Box from someone's basement who was moving and needed it out. The game only needed a fuse, rubber and a good cleaning.
    2. I drove 90 miles to pick up a Bally Freedom for $20.00. The backglass was shot, but all the game itself needed was a good cleaning.
    3. I bought a Cowpoke machine for a few dollars. The game at the time had vines growing through it. The PF was planked and the cabinet had dry rot. Brought that back from the dead and it gets the most play of any machine I own.
    4. I have a backglass for Central Park that was picked out of the garbage.
    I'm the definition of the low end pin man.

Yeah! right on. Hardcore LEP man

#64 8 years ago
    Quoted from electricsquirrel:

Watch out! I got down voted for having a Freedom!

That is an outrage!

1 week later
    #75 8 years ago

Welcome, friend & LEP man.

5 months later
    #79 8 years ago

Bumping this because I know there has to be some new LEP men out there.

2 years later
    #86 6 years ago

Over that last year I have picked up a couple more LEP's (& may get another tonight), so I thought it would be appropriate to trot this out again.... for all the newbie Low end pin men.

#94 6 years ago

& here's the LEP that I picked up last night.... '74 Bally Amigo $150. NICE backglass, solid cabinet, typical playfield wear.
    IMG_2816 (resized).jpgIMG_2816 (resized).jpg
    IMG_2815 (resized).jpgIMG_2815 (resized).jpg

#95 6 years ago

HOORAY!
    Low end pinball man is back!!!!!!!!

Damn straight

#99 6 years ago
    Quoted from phil-lee:

Been in denial but would like to join the Club. I have replaced the back glass, cleared the play field and restored this Klondike a hundred times in my mind. But it plays perfect every time and just don't want to take it out of action.

Nice, true to the spirit of the LEP man.
    I have a soft spot for Klondike, it's the first pin that I remember playing as a kid & being able to win games on (Cherry city bowl, Salem, Oregon). Would love to have one if I could just find one local & cheap enough.

& you are correct, A LEP must play well... condition is secondary.

#103 6 years ago
    Quoted from o-din:

I've always been a low end man when there is a deal to be had, however most games that are priced low usually get snatched up before I have a chance.
    But I've still got my $100 Pinky!

It's an honor to have you in the club O-din.

#108 6 years ago
    Quoted from o-din:

There is a lot of competition in that industry now, it seems.

Hey, they are .10 in Oregon now..... 16 cans is a shiny new pinball..

#123 6 years ago
    Quoted from AlexF:

How low can a LEP man go. I have this Grand Prix for sale. It's mechanically complete and trys to start a game. That's the good news. The play field paint is bubbled and lifting and the back glass is poor. Still it could be resurrected or re-themed. Would consider parting it out as well.
    janesville.craigslist.org link

If you were closer it would be in my garage already, next to my $150 Bally Amigo.

#124 6 years ago

A true LEP man would be all over that!

I can't believe that Alex is the only LEP man in WI

#133 6 years ago

I suppose Chicago coin owners are LEP men by default.

#137 6 years ago

Guitar guys are paying big bucks for brand new guitars that are pre-stressed.
    These are new guitars that are made to look like they have been drug behind a truck.
    Why doesn't this concept work for the LEP man?
    Just imagine what your collection could be worth!

Yes, but if they were worth more, would you be a LEP man? It's a mixed blessing

#141 6 years ago
    Quoted from o-din:

Klondike is now a $140 game folks!

I will give you $150

2 weeks later
    #146 6 years ago

Very nice. Bonus points for mouse nest

The top arch on that era of Bally is so classy.

6 months later
    #153 5 years ago
    Quoted from oilspot:

FP backbox

[quoted image]

Nice!
    At least you HAVE a head.... my Royal Guard project started as just the lower cabinet... It's working now!!

2 months later
    #155 5 years ago

Thought I would revive this old thread, gotta be more LEP stories out there.

#157 5 years ago
    Quoted from pinzrfun:

$130.00, not booting, haven't looked into it yet. Backglass is flawless, playfield good -
    [quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

Damn nice - the early Bally SS pins are my faves!

1 month later
    #163 5 years ago

LEP BUMP

#165 5 years ago
    Quoted from Qman97:

$50 SCUBA I'm working on now
    $80 Star Sapphire bowler
    I'm all about the LEPM. More fun to score a cheap game or games and try to get them working again. Tell me y'all don't get excited and giddy the moment you finally get it to startup correctly and play that first game.......
    [quoted image][quoted image]

Damn straight. That first click of the on switch after you spent 100's of hours cleaning & adjusting every switch, score reel, & mechanism..................................... and it works!

#167 5 years ago
    Quoted from MikeO:

100's of hours?? Hopefully not more than about 10-20 hours for the relay portions for a game that is rough to start with.

Well, it seems like 100's of hours anyway.....

#178 5 years ago
    Quoted from AlexF:

At some point someone painted the cab red and then put adhesive backed brown burlap over the top. Peeling the burlap back pulled up the red and the original paint. I was so disgusted in how gross it looked I didn't touch it again until last week. It's going to need a repaint in the Spring when I can get outside, and I'm not a huge fan of repaints.
    Anyway I've started in on tearing it apart to clean everything up. It's always hard for me to get going but usually get more motivated as I go. This one will probably make or break my continued love for the silver ball.
    [quoted image]

I would strip the cabinet down, including side rails & use Jasco stripper to remove the old paint & nastiness. Just did my Royal Guard pin cab & it turned out great with very little effort on paint removal. Now waiting until spring to paint....
    Looks like the pimp makes your stencils. .http://pinballpimpstencils.com/?page_id=3156

#179 5 years ago
    Quoted from bob_e:

Sometimes you find one on Craigslist of Facebook. Or networking with other pinheads.
    I saw a Bally Bow and Arrow for $400.00 but do I call it low end?
    What is the cut off point, $$$, for low end?

Granted, the threshold for low end pin status is rising. $400 for a Bow & Arrow seems a bit high, but it IS a desirable game. I suppose it would depend on the cosmetics.

#181 5 years ago
    Quoted from Silverstreak02:

I bought this non working beauty about a year ago for $300. At the time I thought it was a great deal. After getting it home and looking closer I started to doubt myself. I decided to send it to the exterminator to be safe and then restore it. It’s no longer a bargain, but it was worth it.
    [quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

Wow, nice job!
    Does the baby sleep when you play?

#184 5 years ago
    Quoted from statictrance:

True Story - I install a switch in the bottom of my EMs and put a break in the ground line for the chimes. Costs maybe $5 and 45 minutes of effort - Priceless for sleeping toddlers and the wives that'll take your head off if they wake up.

Thought I was the only one!

#188 5 years ago
    Quoted from guard:

I manged to grab a Pat Hand and a Jolly Rodger last month for $100 Cdn each last month.....it'll be summer before I get to them but the deals are still out there. Just take a lot more time and, especially, good luck to score..

Wow - Nice LEP score! You don't get chances to pick them up this cheap too often. Gett'um while you can.

#190 5 years ago
    Quoted from jasonp:

I scored a Joust for 150.00 last week.

Solid!

2 weeks later
    #193 5 years ago
    Quoted from pinhead52:

was that factory with the wood inserts on the legs?

Weird, second one of those wooden leg reinforcement mods I have seen lately... never seen before.

#198 5 years ago
    Quoted from plumber802:

Not sure if this qualifies as a LEP. I recently bought back a 1979 Bally Silverball Mania that I had owned 25 years previously. Paid $325 and added MPU,rubbers,LEDs and bumper caps. I'm into it for less than $750.[quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

I think you are in, $750 for an early Bally SS - especially with a playfield that's not blown out is a decent deal.

#203 5 years ago

Not the lowest of low end - but for $300 and functioning - it should shine up nicely. I'm not afraid of a little planking and the backglass is gorgeous. +1 for the original documents found inside.
    [quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

Heck yes!
    For that condition, with paperwork. Nice LEP buy.

2 months later
    #206 5 years ago
    Quoted from oilspot:

Just grabbed for $225, a few $ more than I thought it was worth but the chances to buy don't come around that often up here in the sticks. Basically functioning but needs lots. My first woody!
    [quoted image]

Awesome. Don’t see many woodies come up for sale.
    Is it supposed to have wooden legs?

#209 5 years ago
    Quoted from Lathroum:

I have this for sale... a working pin for under $500??!?? That fits the low end theme here...
    https://pinside.com/pinball/market/classifieds/ad/77365

Single coin door too, don't see many of those.....

#210 5 years ago
    Quoted from Sea_Wolf:

Got this beauty on eBay for $400 and a short drive. I was really lucky on the timing I guess. The backglass and playfield are in really good shape and the only issue it had, besides worn out flipper shafts (since replaced), was something that was created by 2 mangled switches on the Game Over Relay. That was resolved thanks to some good people on this site and now it’s nothing but fun.[quoted image][quoted image]

We played the crap out of one of those when it was on route. As I recall, the match unit was stuck on one # & we just tilted when it hit that on the third ball if we were not close to winning on score.
    Good times!

7 months later
    #226 4 years ago
    Quoted from AlexF:

Still need to do a few things on this one. It's never going to be "show quality" but I finally got my free Lucky Ace cleaned up and playing good. Fast and fun game.

Free is an LEP man's dream.

3 months later
    #243 4 years ago
    Quoted from goldenboy232:

Sweet pick up with the Volley!

+1, that Volley looks nice! Great player....

1 week later
    #252 4 years ago
    Quoted from DCRand:

$60 Egghead. Not sure if it was even worth that. Will decide later if it’s a project, or parts machine. Legs are so rusted if I put them in Evaporust, they will disappear.[quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

Great LEP score. I have fixed worse! Make it a player.

3 weeks later
    #259 4 years ago
    Quoted from DCRand:

Second score in a month. Completed a proper social distancing pick up, he had it at the front of the garage, had wiped it down with bleach wipes which were still on top of the machine, and he stayed on one side of the garage while I looked it over. Agreed on price, I dropped the money on a table in the middle of the garage. Then rolled it out to my SUV, loaded up and left. Not a bad $150.00 Paddock. And came with a complete owners manual in the cabinet, look closely.[quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

Nice score for a LEP man price!

#261 4 years ago
    Quoted from MysticPinball:

Sounds like lots of us enjoy reviving crappy old neglected worn out games. Give them a new lease on life and put them back out in circulation.

I love the challenge

5 months later
    #264 3 years ago

Solid LEP buy. Good job!

#267 3 years ago

Here's a LEP for someone looking for a project.........

Machine - For Sale
    Top Ten Archived
    As is - “1975 Chicago coin Top Ten pinball project. I bought this several years ago with the intent to restore it, but have too many projects & not enough room. This is electro-mechanic...”
    2020-09-19
    Salem, OR
    250 (OBO)
    Archived after: 42 days
    Viewed: 331 times

#272 3 years ago
    Quoted from zarco:

I'm a member of the low end price club. I've had well over 100 pins go through my hands
    and rarely paid more than $225 for one. Kept the best 51. Some of the best deals were in swaps.
    I'd trade my time fixing others machines for another broken one or swap one I had
    that had been restored for 2 or 3 non-working pins.
    Part of the fun is finding good deals. Much harder the last 10 years or so.
    Steve

Welcome. Agree, when I got into this 10 years ago cheap projects were plentiful. Glad I bought more than I needed back then!

1 month later
    #275 3 years ago
    Quoted from undrdog:

$200 for three 1957 Wms Hi-Hand— delivered! Plus a $25 tip for the seller's guys who delivered them. Turns out, my seller was within a mile. How could I not go see them?
    Hope to end up with one playing machine from the three.

Hell of a good LEP deal. $200 for three!

LEP Rule 1 -Never pass up a parts pin

#279 3 years ago
    Quoted from cyroute:

Here are my two recent LEP purchases 200 each. I think I got the better deal on HMM. Got Lucky Ace up and running 100% in about 1.5 hours it was very dirty but cleaned up really well. HMM needs some serious cleaning sat in a basment for 5 years and booted right up after checking voltages etc. needed a flipper rebuild and a new cap on the sound board. I will spend the next week cleaning HMM and it should be 100%. No topper with HMM but for 200 I can't complain!
    [quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

Hell yes!
    $200 for any SS is a killer deal nowadays.

#284 3 years ago
    Quoted from Peruman:

The Domino I just finished was my first LEP find, $85. I thought it was going to be a parts machine but after getting it running I decided to bring it back.

That's what being an LEP man is all about. We are not just a bunch of cheap ass bastards. Bring them back to their former glory!
    Good work

#288 3 years ago
    Quoted from Snype32:

Does this count for lep? $150 cad. Not working yet.
    [quoted image]

Hell yes. Classic Sterns are getting some respect now.

#296 3 years ago
    Quoted from Tommy-dog:

I originally considered myself a low end guy about 20 years ago. I did not want to buy that expensive $3200 new in the box Stern. I enjoyed buying those $1500 Theatre of Magic's, $1200 Addams Family's, a $1000 IJ, a $1800 CV/TOTAN, and all those $400-$800 cheap 'B' title games, like Getaway, Judge Dreed, Shadow, Indy500, WCS94, Roadshow, NBAFB, Flintstones, Demo Man, etc.

Not really LEP, you were just buying them at market value.... NOT buying the neglected old wreck for pennies on the dollar just to get running again for fun.
    All good, but just not what I would consider "LEP"

#299 3 years ago
    Quoted from guard:

An almost 100% working Algar for $500 Canadian.

Definitely counts, Great LEP score!
    $500 Canadian is a little high for your average LEP green, but that's a really rare pin, looks to be in fairly decent shape

- Though that's only $382 US dollars, so right on.

2 months later
    #301 3 years ago

What's the latest in the LEP world? Anyone got any killer deals lately?
    I have been busy on my 1947 Willys CJ2A rebuild & have been neglecting pinball for a while.

2 weeks later
    #306 3 years ago
    Quoted from DCRand:

Update on this double game buy. Sadly decided to part out the Honey, it was really far gone, and not exactly a sought after game. Good news, still have the play field and plastics (and still for sale) but have sold enough other parts that I am now $0 into the Doodle Bug. So after finishing the Top Score in the next few weeks, that has taken me far to long to finish. Will be able to start the Doodle refurb and afford a new back glass, and maybe a cabinet repaint.

LEP man rule # 7 --- NEVER pass up a parts pin.

#311 3 years ago
    Quoted from undrdog:

And I draw the line at a painted over cabinet. Not even for $250.

Not sure why - paint is pretty easy to do & with the stencils from Pinball Pimp they turn out great.

#314 3 years ago
    Quoted from steviechs:

Picked this Jumping Jack up back in the fall for $250 and finally got around to getting it going.
    [

Nice LEP score -- Jumping Jack has my favorite backglass, & good player too.

2 months later
    #318 3 years ago
    Quoted from PoBoyPinball:

Picked up a LEP last weekend in the process of getting her going and cleaned

did you pick it up on the short green? How much?

#320 3 years ago

Local Facebook pinball group (buck and a half)[quoted image]

NICE LEP score! the short green rules

#329 3 years ago

You LEP guys have been busy!

#347 2 years ago
    Quoted from BubbaK:

I recently joined the LEP club.. I picked up a Jungle Queen for $250. I put another $300 into it, including a playfield protector. Lots of elbow grease. Game plays great now. Looks good in the dark. Playfield artwork is pretty trashed, but even the ugly ones need love.
    I also picked up a Target Alpha for $350. Playfield in better shape than JQ. Guy had a brand new set of drop targets with it. After lots of elbow grease and another $200 or so, it will be a good playing game. Still sorting out one more issue.

So satisfying to bring them back from the dead.... great work!

#352 2 years ago
    Quoted from DCRand:

Not a great deal at $500.

Yeah - a little too $$ to be considered an LEP buy, but prices are creeping up & it worked.

I prefer the derelict, neglected beaters as a starting point. - So satisfying to get them running.

1 week later
    #358 2 years ago
    Quoted from DCRand:

This time got two for $500. Double Barrel with decent backglass and pf. But terrible cabinet. And Stardust with interesting repairs on backglass but ok overall.

Nice. Great graphics on that Double bbl playfield, & easy to duplicate paint scheme on the cab. Good score!

2 months later
    #366 2 years ago

Been awhile since I've posted a LEP buy. They were described as sitting in a basement, not plugged in for years, and 'should work' but might need a little tuning. Dear god they're beautiful. And $60 each.

Finally a real LEP buy for the short green.
    With all of the postings boasting of $350~450 "LEP" buys, I was wondering if the great deals had all dried up.
    Congrats!

#368 2 years ago
    Quoted from steve-o:

Got a free VGC Jungle Princess and a free soda machine from the new owners of a former KOA’s recroom back in the day. Grinned all the way home!

Free is of course the the holy grail of the LEP man. does not happen often, but when it does it's glorious.

3 months later
    #376 2 years ago

Hadn’t seen any recent LEPs so here you go 9 miles from my house.

Always liked the graphics on that pin.
    How much green did you part with for it?

#378 2 years ago

$350, I think thats well within LEP range. It will need a MPU but I’m okay with that.

Oh yeah. Especially in today's market. Nice buy.

1 week later
    #383 2 years ago
    Quoted from mrm_4:

Twist my arm at $250

Solid LEP buy for the short green

3 weeks later
    #407 2 years ago

LEP's must be dedicated....

#409 2 years ago
    Quoted from Blackbeard:

So i picked up a super nice road kings for 1k a few weeks back.

Not to be a kill joy, but $1000 to a true LEP man is like 4~5 machines...

#415 2 years ago
    Quoted from Bmad21:

Got a shuffle bowler for $175 half off the orginal price.

Killer deal!
    Let's see some photos.

3 months later
    #422 2 years ago
    Quoted from undrdog:

$150 and local!

Nice solid LEP score for the short green.

4 weeks later
    #424 1 year ago
    Quoted from undrdog:

Mean Green is cleaning up this LEP cabinet nicely, except for these brown stains. Possibly rust or water stains.
    Any suggestions?

Jasco paint stripper would work nicely......

#427 1 year ago
    Quoted from undrdog:

It wouldn’t take off all the paint?

it's half off already.... go for it & repaint......

#434 1 year ago
    Quoted from PantherCityPins:

Got the Top Card on the left this week for $200. Cabinet is solid, backglass is great and playfield is dirty but not worn. Will be a clean and shop and make it a players machine.

Nice buy on Top card! I picked mine up about 8 years ago for $250 & it's still sitting in my "restore" area.
    It looks boring, but actually is a fun pin.

3 weeks later
    #442 1 year ago
    Quoted from DCRand:

Latest LEP pick up. 250 with pretty good pf and backglass. Otherwise needs lots of work. And yes, set up on my fully covered back patio at the moment. And fully covered with moving blankets when not working on it.

Solid LEP buy for the short green

#446 1 year ago

Here’s the after shot of Top Card. Deep clean/magic eraser and two coats of wax, several gremlins chased out, etc.
    Lives again.

That is a really fun playing pin. Congrats

2 months later
    #464 1 year ago
    Quoted from Slacker_Quacker:

I just saw that TFC100 just put up a bunch of project pins between $200-$500. Looks like a good way to join the club if any of the titles (or prices) tickle your fancy.

If I were closer I would go for a couple of those!

5 months later
    #469 1 year ago

Here’s the after shot of Top Card. Deep clean/magic eraser and two coats of wax, several gremlins chased out, etc.
    Lives again.

NICE! I have had one of those in storage for about 10 years. It's time to unearth it & get it going.
    That's a really fun game - stand up targets only! Lot of specials to be had there.

3 weeks later
    #471 1 year ago

tc3 (resized).jpgtc3 (resized).jpgtc2 (resized).jpgtc2 (resized).jpgJust pulled an LEP Gottleib Top Card out of storage. I bought this a over 10 years ago.. brought it home & stashed it. Pulled it out for the first time since then & set it up, have never even opened the playfield before. Needs cab paint, backglass is decent, missing backbox cover, coin door bent up, coin drop plate ok except broken .25 covers, playfield is fair & plastics good. Inside looks very complete & unmolested. Noticed that the 120V wires to the on/off switch are melted. Has the original packet with schematic, operator's manual, score cards, & factory warrantee flyer all intact. Seems like I paid $240 for it, which was on the high end back then.
    tc1 (resized).jpgtc1 (resized).jpg

1 week later
    #474 1 year ago
    Quoted from EMsInKC:

I don't know if I qualify. I try to buy low, but they don't stay that way. They get restored.
    My cheapest are a free Merry Go Round (restored and going to TPF next month) a $75 Egg Head (stored) and a $75 Triple Action (restored and sold)

As long as you pick them up for the short green & do all of the resto work yourself it qualifies. Labor is not cheap!

#476 1 year ago
    Quoted from EMsInKC:

The labor is all free, too bad all the parts aren't.

True, but the fun of bringing them back is priceless!

1 week later
    #479 1 year ago
    Quoted from EMsInKC:

Mostly fun occasionally frustrating

Problem solving, I just find it extremely satisfying to make that break thru on hacked up old pin

#481 1 year ago

Relax, you are the guy that the LEP man sells to.
    That's your place in the food chain....

1 month later
    #484 1 year ago
    Quoted from DCRand:

My best find in a while. $150 started right up and played a game. Forgot to take pictures until I had already pulled some of the playfield rubbers. Replaced the locks with PPR locks and put the legs in evaporust. This one will go in the lineup for now once the play field is cleaned and waxed. And eventually I’ll do a complete cosmetic makeover.

Nice LEP pickup....

#486 1 year ago
    Quoted from DanMarino:

Here is my $200 Bally Time Zone. A heck of a lot of fun for the money.

Wow - Where are you guys finding these gems?
    Craigslist? Facebook marketplace? or ???

My area has pretty much dried up as far as LEP projects. Probably just as well, my wife would shit if I dragged home another......
    (But since when has this stopped me... )

#493 12 months ago

Okay so what’s the LEP cutoff on a EM in today’s world $$$? I think I’m a little high on my latest purchase but with inflation I may not be?

EM - I'm thinking $150~300
    SS - $300~600 (you never know, I picked up my decent but not working Stern Seawitch for $100)
    All depends on condition of course.

DMD & above are normally out of the reach of true LEP men, unless you get lucky.

#494 12 months ago
    Quoted from DanMarino:

Forgot to add that I sold a working Card Whiz in January for $900.

I shopped out one of those for a non-pin family friend.
    It was NICE with low plays, his dad bought it when ops were dumping EM's as SS pins came out. It sat in their basement forever.
    Good player -lot of fun.

2 weeks later
    #504 11 months ago

Considering how clean it is, yes, that is a good buy.
    Love those two player Gottlieb pins - built like tanks.

4 months later
    #524 6 months ago

Wow -
    Cheap pins are pretty scarce these days. Good thing I stocked up years ago!

3 weeks later
    #531 5 months ago

bonus score!

2 months later
    #548 3 months ago

As a rule, ALWAYS be ready to pick up an LEP project if the price is right!

2 months later
    #553 32 days ago
    Quoted from undrdog:

1947 Wms Cyclone. It had been in the seller's family since his great grandparents had it. LEP price of $150.

Those woodrails are so classy looking

#554 32 days ago
    Quoted from snyper2099:

I like this thread and want to keep it going. It’s more rewarding to me than the “what machine did you buy today” thread.

Hell yes! Anyone with a pocket full of $$$ can go out & buy a pin.
    It takes a talented individual to bring these old relics back to playable condition.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider dasvis.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/-creed-of-the-low-end-pin-man-?tu=dasvis and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.