(Topic ID: 130288)

----- Creed of the low end pin man --------------

By dasvis

8 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_7875 (resized).jpeg
    IMG_7874 (resized).jpeg
    IMG_7873 (resized).jpeg
    IMG_7872 (resized).jpeg
    8C442D3F-2ED5-4EFA-9919-65BFEDA982A2 (resized).jpeg
    BFED4407-D7D4-4838-8908-11A1E1CDE797 (resized).jpeg
    95890068-033C-4365-AB85-892B072D980A (resized).jpeg
    AC5FBCD9-EA73-4E8A-9FE5-D986392666F5 (resized).jpeg
    BF876931-6119-4FCF-B7D9-3F23AE987823 (resized).jpeg
    843612B4-4E27-470F-AF25-E99CF374AF9A (resized).jpeg
    7470F4EC-095F-42CD-8E27-50B1ABF6A557 (resized).jpeg
    B580B435-16AE-4C85-A395-E8C0E741A7EB (resized).jpeg
    6AF75C9E-9662-4E74-A09F-0EDDD3105283 (resized).jpeg
    IMG_1132 (resized).jpeg
    IMG_1130 (resized).jpeg
    IMG_1129 (resized).jpeg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider alexf.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#70 8 years ago

Here are a few of my cheap deals. A lot of these were pretty nice games. A few were real beaters.

High Speed $50 (fair)
    Gottlieb Texan Sample $50 (rough)
    Williams Lucky Strike $50 (rough)
    Genco Mandalay $75 (fair)
    Segasa Monaco $75 (very nice)
    Williams Super Star $75 (rough)
    Gottlieb Pin-Up $125 (fair)
    Gottlieb Sinbad $125 (fair)
    Bally Dixieland $140 (fair)
    Gottleib Globetrotter $140 (cleaned up nice)
    Stern Stampede $150 (cleaned up nice)
    Gottlieb Lucky Hand $200 (very nice)
    Gottlieb Gold Strike $200 (fair)

#72 8 years ago

About 11 years. Here's the breakdown of where they came from. A lot of great deals come down to being in the right place at the right time.

High Speed $50 (fair) - word of mouth
    Gottlieb Texan Sample $50 (rough) - Pinside Market
    Williams Lucky Strike $50 (rough) - Pinside Market
    Genco Mandalay $75 (fair) - Ebay
    Segasa Monaco $75 (very nice) - Newspaper ad
    Williams Super Star $75 (rough) - Place a wanted ad on Craiglist
    Gottlieb Pin-Up $125 (fair) - Craigslist
    Gottlieb Sinbad $125 (fair) - Craigslist
    Bally Dixieland $140 (fair) - Flea Market
    Gottleib Globetrotter $140 (cleaned up nice) - Craigslist
    Stern Stampede $150 (cleaned up nice) - Ebay
    Gottlieb Lucky Hand $200 (very nice) - word of mouth
    Gottlieb Gold Strike $200 (fair) - word of mouth

#77 8 years ago

What's the cool looking motorcycle in the background?

2 years later
    #121 6 years ago

How low can a LEP man go? I have this Grand Prix for sale. It's mechanically complete and trys to start a game. That's the good news. The play field paint is bubbled and lifting and the back glass is poor. Still it could be resurrected or re-themed. Would consider parting it out as well.

janesville.craigslist.org link

#126 6 years ago
    Quoted from dasvis:

I can't believe that Alex is the only LEP man in WI

I was sitting in the living room when I read this and chuckled out loud. My wife asked me what I was laughing at. Just for fun I told her my girlfriend said something funny. But then of course I had to explain the whole LEP thing. She seemed to get it. I'm sure I'm not the last of the Wisconsin LEP members. I've sold a few machines that could qualify over the years. We're a pretty frugal and resourceful bunch generally.

#129 6 years ago
    Quoted from willbeEM:

Lots of parts in a Grand Prix! Actually it looks in better shape than mine does...whoops did. I'd say it's a LEP man dream machine. Make it work and give it to the local youth drop in center.

Yeah, there are three of those hard to find mini-steppers in this thing. Tons of relays, steppers etc. But it's always nice if a machine can remain intact. I have a couple nibbles on this now and am hoping it will be gone by the weekend.

11 months later
    #170 5 years ago

There was a pretty nice looking Aladdin's Castle at Chicagoland for $400 this fall. This is a bargain in my area these days.

I bought this fugly Big Strike for $300 back in July...because I've always wanted a Big Strike. At some point someone painted the cab red and then put adhesive backed brown burlap over the top. Peeling the burlap back pulled up the red and the original paint. I was so disgusted in how gross it looked I didn't touch it again until last week. It's going to need a repaint in the Spring when I can get outside, and I'm not a huge fan of repaints.

Anyway I've started in on tearing it apart to clean everything up. It's always hard for me to get going but usually get more motivated as I go. This one will probably make or break my continued love for the silver ball.

FuglyBigStrike (resized).jpgFuglyBigStrike (resized).jpg
    #172 5 years ago
    Quoted from Pin-up:

How was the show at the new location? I live almost right next to Pheasant Run so it was pretty disappointing that it's an hour away now and didn't even bother going to the last show.

It was good but I liked it better before. I heard Pheasant Run was remodeling the ballroom for weddings etc. Apparently that room was no longer an option for the coin-op show. So the choice was a new location or half the space. Still fun but it was dark and less inviting in the new location. They were real hard nose about letting you into the parking lot area now as well.

#174 5 years ago

Yep I remember you could walk the parking lot for free before. If you wanted to park in that lot or go inside you had to pay the $50. This time I was delivering a game on Saturday and they almost didn't let me in without a wrist band.

The uspide is there is a ton of space. Apparently more vendors than before. And the food court was an upgrade. It's lost a lot of of it's charm though. Oh well everything changes.

#177 5 years ago
    Quoted from NoQuarters:

Alex - you can do that cabinet repaint in Spring. I bet it will look good. If executed well and with good craftsmanship, a restored, repainted cabinet can be really nice. I know you can do it. Might not be the most fun, but I bet you will do a great job. Think of it as fun challenge when the weather signals the end of hibernation and things get nice again.

Thanks, I appreciate it. I've done it before with some marginal success. Oh well, anything will be better than how it looks now. In the meantime I'm just going to get it playing.

3 weeks later
    #200 5 years ago

I'm not always a LEP man but there is a certain satisfaction in being one. It's always great finding a deal. And a lot of times a cheap project offers just as much fun as a regular pin. The other thing though is sometimes you feel an obligation to save some of them.

9 months later
    #225 4 years ago

Still need to do a few things on this one. It's never going to be "show quality" but I finally got my free Lucky Ace cleaned up and playing good. Fast and fun game.

LuckyAce (resized).jpgLuckyAce (resized).jpg

LuckyAce2 (resized).jpgLuckyAce2 (resized).jpg
    1 year later
    #303 3 years ago
    Quoted from bob_e:

If a friend bought a Stern Pro new in box, instead of the LE model would he get banished from the group?

I'm not sure either would qualify for LEP membership unless they were from a flood.

2 years later
    #516 7 months ago
    Quoted from mrm_4:

Paid $150 for this winter project. Not going to do much more than clean and polish it the best I can. Most of the fun will be tracking down replacement bumper caps for this old timer.
    [quoted image][quoted image]

Looks great. Not sure if this cap is correct? Can't read them on the IPDB. Not cheap either but maybe it's an option?

Screenshot 2023-09-20 at 2.17.40 PM (resized).pngScreenshot 2023-09-20 at 2.17.40 PM (resized).png
    2 months later
    #542 4 months ago

That turned out great.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider alexf.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/-creed-of-the-low-end-pin-man-?tu=alexf and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.