5 years ago

Topic Stats

• 262 posts
  • 86 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 3 months ago by Hyperball91
  • Topic is favorited by 26 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

There have been 114 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

2020-04-06 21.00.47 (resized).jpg
    2020-04-08 20.59.44 (resized).jpg
    2020-04-06 21.00.12 (resized).jpg
    2020-04-06 20.59.55 (resized).jpg
    9C337694-03C5-41C9-9841-269E9594BCCD (resized).jpeg
    D6C17145-E216-4BC0-B0E5-E80E8C7C77E0 (resized).jpeg
    2A2E8E4B-2EBE-4146-BA67-93F05E820E4D (resized).jpeg
    1035B7F6-DEB6-4903-AF95-2C33DCBD9CB7 (resized).jpeg
    20200306_205045 (resized).jpg
    20200306_205015 (resized).jpg
    20200306_001620 (resized).jpg
    LuckyAce2 (resized).jpg
    LuckyAce (resized).jpg
    2019-09-14 09.10.54 (resized).jpg
    2019-09-09 22.46.49 (resized).jpg
    2019-09-09 22.46.44 (resized).jpg

There are 262 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 6.
    #51 5 years ago

I would have told them, i'll haul it away for you to get it out of there, but I wouldn't have paid money for it. Just the hassle of hauling wasn't even worth the time. And you would still have a story to tell.

#52 5 years ago

I think this started on BYOAC

Its been modified a bit tho to keep up w/the times

#53 5 years ago

If I am drinking 12 year old scotch (instead of my preferred 15) while playing my HEP Medieval Madness with one LED burned out and having to fetch my own caviar because my butler is off tonight, do I still qualify as a L.E.P. man?

#54 5 years ago
    Quoted from GSones:

If I am drinking 12 year old scotch (instead of my preferred 15) while playing my HEP Medieval Madness with one LED burned out and having to fetch my own caviar because my butler is off tonight, do I still qualify as a L.E.P. man?

No.

#55 5 years ago
    Quoted from GSones:

It makes you.........................wait for it.......................HEP Man! (Anti-Hero of LEP man)

Ken

#56 5 years ago
    Quoted from dasvis:

Well, Jubilee & Darling are the standards for EM LEP pins.

I picked up a Williams Jubilee for free to save it from being parted out. The backlass is cracked, the cabinet is delaminating, the playfield has some kind of tar on it, but I will make it work anyway. That creed speaks to my personal philosophy for sure.

I worked this out a few weeks ago. My average pin price has been about $150. Rescue 911 blew the number up at a whopping $400. Melody Lane from 1960 was $75.

#57 5 years ago
    Quoted from JoeNewberry:

I picked up a Williams Jubilee for free to save it from being parted out. The backlass is cracked, the cabinet is delaminating, the playfield has some kind of tar on it, but I will make it work anyway. That creed speaks to my personal philosophy for sure.
    I worked this out a few weeks ago. My average pin price has been about $150. Rescue 911 blew the number up at a whopping $400. Melody Lane from 1960 was $75.

Cool.
    Make that Jubilee into a "rat rod" pin project. Rusty bent legs, taped backglass, beat up coin door, etc. - but make it all work & play as it should. Then take it to a show.........

#58 5 years ago
    Quoted from JoeNewberry:

I will make it work anyway.

And we will try to sell the mice at the pet store.

#59 5 years ago

I would love to get into EM's one day, and I expect I will. At the moment I am in it for what I played as a kid. If it follows the pattern of my tast in music, which is as I get older my taste goes backwards to well beonde before I was born, then I will be coming around soon. I definitely respect EM as great works of art at the moment but haven't found the enjoyment I get from playing a SS. I guess like fine wine your palet has to develop to appreciate the fine things in life.

#60 5 years ago

1. I was paid $100 to remove a Jack In The Box from someone's basement who was moving and needed it out. The game only needed a fuse, rubber and a good cleaning.

2. I drove 90 miles to pick up a Bally Freedom for $20.00. The backglass was shot, but all the game itself needed was a good cleaning.

3. I bought a Cowpoke machine for a few dollars. The game at the time had vines growing through it. The PF was planked and the cabinet had dry rot. Brought that back from the dead and it gets the most play of any machine I own.

4. I have a backglass for Central Park that was picked out of the garbage.

I'm the definition of the low end pin man.

#61 5 years ago
    Quoted from jjpm:

1. I was paid $100 to remove a Jack In The Box from someone's basement who was moving and needed it out. The game only needed a fuse, rubber and a good cleaning.
    2. I drove 90 miles to pick up a Bally Freedom for $20.00. The backglass was shot, but all the game itself needed was a good cleaning.
    3. I bought a Cowpoke machine for a few dollars. The game at the time had vines growing through it. The PF was planked and the cabinet had dry rot. Brought that back from the dead and it gets the most play of any machine I own.
    4. I have a backglass for Central Park that was picked out of the garbage.

Yeah! right on. Hardcore LEP man

#62 5 years ago
    Quoted from o-din:

And we will try to sell the mice at the pet store.

Jubilee was infested with dirt dobbers.

Now Bronco was full of rats:

1pi1og.jpg
    2exwq48.jpg
    2ntk9xk.jpg
    2mmziti.jpg
    2s0mo2c.jpg

In retrospect, I think maybe I should have bought some heatshrink tubing, but I'm sure not going to cut and resolder all those wires to put it on now.

#63 5 years ago
    Quoted from jjpm:

Watch out! I got down voted for having a Freedom!

#64 5 years ago
    Quoted from electricsquirrel:

That is an outrage!

#65 5 years ago
    Quoted from JoeNewberry:

Jubilee was infested with dirt dobbers.
    Now Bronco was full of rats:
    1pi1og.jpg
    2exwq48.jpg
    2ntk9xk.jpg
    2mmziti.jpg
    2s0mo2c.jpg
    In retrospect, I think maybe I should have bought some heatshrink tubing, but I'm sure not going to cut and resolder all those wires to put it on now.

Those dicks!

spicoli2.jpg
    #66 5 years ago
    Quoted from JoeNewberry:

I think maybe I should have bought some heatshrink tubing

Heatshrink tubing is great for keeping wires under control.

I used it for my flipper wiring "personal mod" in a separate post.

#67 5 years ago
    Quoted from jjpm:

SalesFolk-social-proof2.png

#68 5 years ago

"Those guys are ****!"

_jeffspicoli.jpg
    #69 5 years ago

Hey Stu, where'd you get that jacket?

#70 5 years ago

Here are a few of my cheap deals. A lot of these were pretty nice games. A few were real beaters.

High Speed $50 (fair)
    Gottlieb Texan Sample $50 (rough)
    Williams Lucky Strike $50 (rough)
    Genco Mandalay $75 (fair)
    Segasa Monaco $75 (very nice)
    Williams Super Star $75 (rough)
    Gottlieb Pin-Up $125 (fair)
    Gottlieb Sinbad $125 (fair)
    Bally Dixieland $140 (fair)
    Gottleib Globetrotter $140 (cleaned up nice)
    Stern Stampede $150 (cleaned up nice)
    Gottlieb Lucky Hand $200 (very nice)
    Gottlieb Gold Strike $200 (fair)

#71 5 years ago

Alex - just curious how long have you been collecting? Were many of these word of mouth type gets? Great deals!

#72 5 years ago

About 11 years. Here's the breakdown of where they came from. A lot of great deals come down to being in the right place at the right time.

High Speed $50 (fair) - word of mouth
    Gottlieb Texan Sample $50 (rough) - Pinside Market
    Williams Lucky Strike $50 (rough) - Pinside Market
    Genco Mandalay $75 (fair) - Ebay
    Segasa Monaco $75 (very nice) - Newspaper ad
    Williams Super Star $75 (rough) - Place a wanted ad on Craiglist
    Gottlieb Pin-Up $125 (fair) - Craigslist
    Gottlieb Sinbad $125 (fair) - Craigslist
    Bally Dixieland $140 (fair) - Flea Market
    Gottleib Globetrotter $140 (cleaned up nice) - Craigslist
    Stern Stampede $150 (cleaned up nice) - Ebay
    Gottlieb Lucky Hand $200 (very nice) - word of mouth
    Gottlieb Gold Strike $200 (fair) - word of mouth

#73 5 years ago
    Quoted from thedefog:

Was working when it went into storage.

It's definitely going to need a bit of mechanical work, but the playfield, etc. are in good shape (see a few pics in my "Vulcan" thread in the EM section). With the help of pinsiders, I am confident I'll have the game up and running soon. The new parts he threw in to the deal (flipper rebuild kit, 5 new star rollovers and inserts, 9 new drop targets, new round inserts, new bumper caps, new rubbers) are worth almost the $150 I paid by themselves.

#74 5 years ago

My wife found this on CL for $200.00!
    What a great Fathers Day present.
    Definitely a contender for L.E.P. status.

I love the "Pnk-Fld sucks" scratched onto the back box!// Error: Image 420120 not found //// Error: Image 420121 not found //// Error: Image 420122 not found //// Error: Image 420123 not found //

#75 5 years ago

Welcome, friend & LEP man.

#76 5 years ago
    Quoted from dasvis:

"It's meant to be Played, not Laid"

Quote of the day! I'm going to use this one.

Best regards,

Tom

#77 5 years ago

What's the cool looking motorcycle in the background?

#78 5 years ago
    Quoted from AlexF:

What's the cool looking motorcycle in the background?

1934 HD vl
    There is a picture of it on the motorcycles thread here on Pinside!
    Thanx!
    E

5 months later
    #79 4 years ago

Bumping this because I know there has to be some new LEP men out there.

#80 4 years ago
    Quoted from dasvis:

Bumping this because I know there has to be some new LEP men out there.

Nope.............just HEP men left..............................

Ken

#81 4 years ago

I have seen this creed posted a few times and have tried to read it. I guess it doesn't describe me, because I never can get past the first few sentences before giving up and moving on. Shrug.

#82 4 years ago

Pinball is a really fun hobby. There are many aspects to this value in collecting. Luckily if you live in an area of the world were pinball is in locations, you don't need to actually own games to play them. With Edmonton group of Pinsiders it is possible to get to play many different games, that I know, I will never own. Appreciating all pins is great.

Since my preference is the Electro-Mechanical and early Solid State. Lower cost pins are just fine by me. Now, go play some games!

1 week later
    #83 4 years ago

About 10 years ago I walked out to my driveway in the morning and I found a Bally Zip-A-Doo sitting by the garage door. Found out a few days later a friend of a friend knew I collected pinball machines, so he just left this pin in my driveway. A non-working, complete EM pin dropped off at my house for free - Now that's what a Low End Pin Man likes...

#84 4 years ago

Well, I think I got the LEP in the bag. Nice thread by the way. Out of the 200 give or take pins I bought only 5 of them were actually working without needing repairs. The rest were projects, beaters or basket cases.
    Don't need no stinking LED's, light bulbs work just fine.
    Boards: It can be fixed, cleaned, and repaired. Unless it's broke in half. Have fixed a few of them too.
    Playfields are things the ball rolls on. Not works of art.
    Cabs: Who cares, you can't see the sides anyway in a tight lineup.
    Backglass: They are the true artwork of a pin. A few dabs of paint and some clear packing tape makes them look good as new when your standing across the room from them.

2 weeks later
    #85 4 years ago

Low End For Life!!!

d63a1755c30c525a8ead4e355f9a4c9c_(resized).jpg

1 year later
    #86 2 years ago

Over that last year I have picked up a couple more LEP's (& may get another tonight), so I thought it would be appropriate to trot this out again.... for all the newbie Low end pin men.

#87 2 years ago

There's nothing wrong with a little playfield wear and a little banged up cabinet. As long as the game is shopped properly and everything is properly adjusted, it will play well and be enjoyable. Bad backglasses do bother me a lot though. It's a good thing there are options, but it may not pay to get a new glass for an otherwise marginal machine.

#88 2 years ago
    Quoted from jrpinball:

it may not pay to get a new glass for an otherwise marginal machine.

And if you do order a new glass, make sure it's a game you plan on keeping for a while.

#89 2 years ago

HOORAY!

Low end pinball man is back!!!!!!!!

#90 2 years ago
    Quoted from jrpinball:

There's nothing wrong with a little playfield wear and a little banged up cabinet. As long as the game is shopped properly and everything is properly adjusted, it will play well and be enjoyable. Bad backglasses do bother me a lot though. It's a good thing there are options, but it may not pay to get a new glass for an otherwise marginal machine.

This... I have a Sound Stage I rescued from certain doom in a dank concrete basement under a double wide overrun with the dogs this guy bred. Mold remediation, adjustments, and whatnot and it's cleaned up really nice - but the backglass is 35% missing and trashed. It's just not worth a new BG...

I always thought of myself as a LEP man - but maybe I'm more of a MEP... nothing makes me happier than bringing them back from the dead and finding the bargains... but I'm just as happy about finding a working system 11 for $800 as I am for the $150 EMs. Bonus points if they aren't AAA games I can find on location; I'd rather get the weird titles.

#91 2 years ago

Glad this post brought back - while not in the class of the greats who get games for free to $75.00. Hope my $250 painted blue - non working Spot Bowler, $300 Fun Fest, $200 Triple Action, and $400 Time Zone at least get me in the LEP club. Don't have the skills or time to do full restorations, but enjoy getting a machine that isn't working well and is looking tired and worn into playable and reasonably good looking condition.

Spot Bowler partial restore 1 (resized).jpg

2017-09-17 10.40.22 (resized).jpg

#92 2 years ago

LEP... scratching that itch right now

#93 2 years ago

I always enjoy this thread.

My $50 Criterium '75 is my LEP entry:

20180104_202408 (resized).jpg

It's 90% working. I had grand ideas of a playfield touchup and of slide decals after the delaminated plastic and glue had been removed, but I'll probably just fix it, wax it, and enjoy it. The backglass is about perfect.

20180104_202753 (resized).jpg

#94 2 years ago

& here's the LEP that I picked up last night.... '74 Bally Amigo $150. NICE backglass, solid cabinet, typical playfield wear.
    IMG_2816 (resized).jpg
    IMG_2815 (resized).jpg

#95 2 years ago

HOORAY!
    Low end pinball man is back!!!!!!!!

Damn straight

#96 2 years ago

Been in denial but would like to join the Club. I have replaced the back glass, cleared the play field and restored this Klondike a hundred times in my mind. But it plays perfect every time and just don't want to take it out of action.
    IMG_1241 (resized).JPG
    BG Resto gave me a decent estimate on a replacement back glass, the original has a tight corner crack bottom right. I glued the crack in an experiment with Industrial super glue and sealed it with Krylon TP. The guy I purchased it from for 200 bucks said he no longer saw the crack unless he looked for it. I've reached that point. The flaking and further damage is at least stable( 3 years).
    It's just a great player. I keep it maintained and fast.
    Same with the Out of Sight I bought for 300 (yeah, a little high, but at the time I was desperate for a project and the backglass was great.
    IMG_1425 (resized).JPG
    First play field restoration and I was happy the way it turned out. My primary goal was a fast player over cosmetics. Call it a Relic, good 2-pack Auto clear with leveling of inserts. Enough thickness to do the job but the surface still retaining some "Character" from planking ripples and graphics touched up.
    IMG_1479 (resized).JPG
    IMG_1462 (resized).JPG
    Another great player. Despite an intensive re-furb she needs more work, but plays fast and correct everytime I hit the button( well, sometimes the score reels stick and there is that scoring anomaly).
    I like to spend money that enhances the performance of the machine. I like the way the restored machines look, and of course the OEM mint versions. A LEP must play right or it will be parted/discarded.
    The structural integrity of the cabinet is important, firm leg unions and a non-rattling back glass a must.Art on the side is cleaned and touched up, or stencils hand cut. I clean it back to original best I can.IMG_1252 (resized).JPG

Unless you have a good parts stash it's still going to cost close to 200 bucks in parts/materials to get one right.
    Remember these sage words,and they are not mine, "It's hard to sell a EM"
    Fix machines you intend to keep and play.

#97 2 years ago

How I view playfield wear:
    Well that's the way they looked when I played them in arcades so why bother making it look like new.

#98 2 years ago
    Quoted from arcademojo:

How I view playfield wear:
    Well that's the way they looked when I played them in arcades so why bother making it look like new.

Amen. They can't all be museum pieces.

#99 2 years ago
    Quoted from phil-lee:

Been in denial but would like to join the Club. I have replaced the back glass, cleared the play field and restored this Klondike a hundred times in my mind. But it plays perfect every time and just don't want to take it out of action.

Nice, true to the spirit of the LEP man.
    I have a soft spot for Klondike, it's the first pin that I remember playing as a kid & being able to win games on (Cherry city bowl, Salem, Oregon). Would love to have one if I could just find one local & cheap enough.

& you are correct, A LEP must play well... condition is secondary.

#100 2 years ago

Itch scratched, 1955 Marathon, no working lights, shy a few parts, lots of potential and used the wife's KIA Soul as the pinhauler
    definitely LEP man

20180111_134246[1] (resized).jpg

20180111_113203[1] (resized).jpg

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
    $ 54.99
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 25.00
    Boards
    German-Pinball-Modular
    $ 115.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    Cabinet - Other
    UpKick Pinball
    $ 48.00
    Cabinet - Other
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    $ 24.25
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    The MOD Couple
    $ 40.00
    Lighting - Led
    B & K Mods
    $ 45.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Lermods
    $ 89.00
    Cabinet Parts
    Pappy's Pinball Palace
    $ 219.99
    $ 99.99
    Lighting - Other
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 4.49
    Electronics
    Yorktown Arcade Supply
    $ 65.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    G-Money Mods
    $ 12.95
    $ 90.00
    Lighting - Under Cabinet
    Rock Custom Pinball
    $ 79.95
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Hookedonpinball.com
    $ 159.99
    Lighting - Other
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 17.00
    € 10.00
    Playfield - Plastics
    Creo Pinball
    $ 110.00
    Boards
    AMCO
    $ 99.00
    Gameroom - Decorations
    Pinball Sales
    $ 229.99
    Lighting - Other
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 7,599.00
    Pinball Machine
    Classic Game Rooms
    There are 262 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 6.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside