Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 79 posts
  • 33 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 76 days ago by emguy
  • Topic is favorited by 2 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

Bally Carnival (resized).jpeg
    IMG_8872 (resized).jpeg
    IMG_8877 (resized).jpeg
    17004448990741201560200131352654 (resized).jpg
    PXL_20231102_203047613 (resized).jpg
    PXL_20231102_202842610 (resized).jpg
    20231031_131334 (resized).jpg
    3600Kennedy (resized).jpg
    SingAlongGlass (resized).jpg
    IMG_20231028_135230_01 (resized).jpg
    20231002_001229 (resized).jpg
    20231001_170045 (resized).jpg
    20231001_170033 (resized).jpg
    20231001_170025 (resized).jpg

There are 79 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.
    #1 5 months ago

Has anyone used the services to refinish back glass through BGresto.com?
    I am waiting on a new bonded back glass for over 12 weeks. Steve was good to provide updates via email but I have not been able to get anything from him for 4 weeks.
    Anybody know if something happened?

#2 5 months ago
    Quoted from Fishguy888:

Has anyone used the services to refinish back glass through BGresto.com?
    I am waiting on a new bonded back glass for over 12 weeks. Steve was good to provide updates via email but I have not been able to get anything from him for 4 weeks.
    Anybody know if something happened?

Just gotta be patient, last order took about 6 months. He's no doubt swamped. Does great work though!

#3 5 months ago

My experience was that it took a long time and turned out great!

#4 5 months ago

Thanks for the input. I was getting worried because the last reply from Steve was it should ship 3 weeks ago. I have not been able to get him to contact me recently to verify if it did or did not ship. Never provided a tracking number so I guess I will assume not shipped.

#5 5 months ago

It will come. Be patient.

#6 5 months ago

If you search the forums, this question has come up many, many times. The lag time between placing the order and delivery can be 3-6 months, despite the timeframe that Steve tends to give when asked about an order.

Why Steve doesn't say how long it *actually* takes, I have no idea.

So far, I haven't heard anyone say that he hasn't come through in the end. Just that there is big mismatch between what he says the shipping date will be and what it actually is.

#7 5 months ago

Bg resto is one of the good guys, ive bought 3 glasses, he’s upfront about how long, nothing to worry about!

#8 5 months ago
    Quoted from ForceFlow:

If you search the forums, this question has come up many, many times. The lag time between placing the order and delivery can be 3-6 months, despite the timeframe that Steve tends to give when asked about an order.
    Why Steve doesn't say how long it *actually* takes, I have no idea.
    So far, I haven't heard anyone say that he hasn't come through in the end. Just that there is big mismatch between what he says the shipping date will be and what it actually is.

6-12 weeks is what he says. Usually more. But patience will be rewarded when you receive it. His stuff is really nice.

#9 5 months ago

If you just put the word “Months” in place of any time he says “Weeks” then you won’t be misled.

2 weeks later
    #10 4 months ago

Got my new backglass a few days ago and it is beautiful! He does great work. Thanks to all.

#11 4 months ago

Cool, how about some pictures?

#12 4 months ago
    20231001_170025 (resized).jpg20231001_170025 (resized).jpg20231001_170033 (resized).jpg20231001_170033 (resized).jpg20231001_170045 (resized).jpg20231001_170045 (resized).jpg
    #13 4 months ago

That looks great.

Quoted from Fishguy888:[quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

#14 4 months ago

Very nice!

#15 4 months ago

I reached out to them about something I need after seeing this.

#16 4 months ago

He's doing well. Saw and talked to him today at the VFW tournament....

MrBally, flying above Coloorado

20231002_001229 (resized).jpg20231002_001229 (resized).jpg

2 weeks later
    #17 4 months ago

Glad he is doing ok. I paid for a lightning backglass in June and emailed him three times to see if he received my payment and have not heard anything back from him. Emailed letting him know I sent payment, then first of September, and the other day.

#18 4 months ago
    Quoted from BallyKISS1978:

Glad he is doing ok. I paid for a lightning backglass in June and emailed him three times to see if he received my payment and have not heard anything back from him. Emailed letting him know I sent payment, then first of September, and the other day.

I have been waiting since April 4. Sent payment on April 20. Tried to file a claim with paypal and can't since its just past 180 days. Out a backglass and out 380 bucks. Does not respond to text calls or emails.

#19 4 months ago
    Quoted from 12Globetrotter:

I have been waiting since April 4. Sent payment on April 20. Tried to file a claim with paypal and can't since its just past 180 days. Out a backglass and out 380 bucks. Does not respond to text calls or emails.

This is infuriating man

#20 4 months ago

3 glasses. SAME 3 experiences.

File a PayPal claim on his ass at the last possible moment and he sends the glass the next day all happy and cheery after not responding to shit.

Will never buy from him again. It's a fucking translite glued to glass anyway.

#21 4 months ago

Oh man I am so sorry. That’s horrible. That’s garbage.

#22 4 months ago
    Quoted from wisefwumyogwave:

3 glasses. SAME 3 experiences.
    File a PayPal claim on his ass at the last possible moment and he sends the glass the next day all happy and cheery after not responding to shit.
    Will never buy from him again. It's a fucking translite glued to glass anyway.

I am planning on doing that. I bought 2 backglass’s one a Gulfstream, and sent my Stern Dracula to be done. Got them in decent time, don’t know what’s going on now. I will never buy an older game unless the backglass is mint.

#23 4 months ago

This is disappointing... I got fairly prompt replies at first about a custom job then nothing.... Then I see this. Luckily nothing has been paid or shipped.

#24 4 months ago
    Quoted from jrcmlc:

This is disappointing... I got fairly prompt replies at first about a custom job then nothing.... Then I see this. Luckily nothing has been paid or shipped.

I got a reply inquiring about getting the backglass then after paid nothing. I hope I still get my backglass. Will report any updates next month after I file a claim.

I could probably do it now since in the email says turn around time is 12 to 16 weeks, and I am past that time already. Just one reply could avoid so much headache. I appreciate all he has done and helped many out, but come on.

#25 4 months ago

I think I've said this a few times but communication goes such a long way. If you're behind, tell me, if you screwed up, tell me....and the list goes on. I hope it all turns out.

Quoted from BallyKISS1978:I got a reply inquiring about getting the backglass then after paid nothing. I hope I still get my backglass. Will report any updates next month after I file a claim.
    I could probably do it now since in the email says turn around time is 12 to 16 weeks, and I am past that time already. Just one reply could avoid so much headache. I appreciate all he has done and helped many out, but come on.

#26 4 months ago

All these issues and last I knew, they were done with screen printing and everything is now digital print. Is that correct? I hope I'm wrong here on this. The digital stuff will almost never match the screen printed stuff 100%. Colors tend to shift slightly when being converted from a spot color to a process color. Their color "distance" from the original spot color that was called out for gets a little bit wider when done as a CMYK print. Colors also tend to be less vibrant with a digital print versus that of a screen print.

Do they need more artists to redraw these backglasses? Is it more a matter of amount of time the people they have working for them currently have or don't have to work on the artwork? I know this stuff is tedious and takes a long time to recreate in Illustrator, but if it's more manpower they need, I'd be interested for sure.

#27 4 months ago
    Quoted from Miguel351:

The digital stuff will almost never match the screen printed stuff 100%.

My Graphic Designer digitized quite a few glasses for me, and they came out really nice.
    I've traded glasses with both Steve and Shay..
    As far as Steve, he is a busy traveling guy, but 100% Not a rip off. Eventually your glass
    will arrive. He does use a different process, but once installed, it passes.
    Only other option is locate a Graphic Designer, or Gary Conway (which passes), but Steve's
    glasses are better. More crisp..

#28 4 months ago
    Quoted from Miguel351:

All these issues and last I knew, they were done with screen printing and everything is now digital print. Is that correct? I hope I'm wrong here on this. The digital stuff will almost never match the screen printed stuff 100%. Colors tend to shift slightly when being converted from a spot color to a process color. Their color "distance" from the original spot color that was called out for gets a little bit wider when done as a CMYK print. Colors also tend to be less vibrant with a digital print versus that of a screen print.
    Do they need more artists to redraw these backglasses? Is it more a matter of amount of time the people they have working for them currently have or don't have to work on the artwork? I know this stuff is tedious and takes a long time to recreate in Illustrator, but if it's more manpower they need, I'd be interested for sure.

I think you’re confusing BGresto and CPR. Steve never screenprinted.

#29 4 months ago
    Quoted from play_pinball:

I think you’re confusing BGresto and CPR. Steve never screenprinted.

It wasn't CPR. I know it was a backglass company, but it might have been one of the other shops, like Shay, or someone.

I watched a video posted here on Pinside from either Expo or TPF last year or so where one of the backglass restoration shops owner and main graphics/printer guy(or whoever he was) were doing a Q&A session where he mentioned that, at that time, they work working on the last few fully screened backglasses and that from then on moving forward, most, if not all backglasses would be digitally printed.

I can clearly remember the video, but I can't remember which shop it was.

EDIT: Found the video. It was Shay. They talk at length about how everything is/will be going digital print and how they can't really hit all those hot/neon colors. He also subtly mentions the oranges and the greens, too. These are colors that are very hard to match when converting from Spot to Process.

Sorry for the slight derailing of the thread...

#30 4 months ago

Are there any other options for vintage backglass besides bgresto? I understand being swamped and backlogged but I won't give someone my money if they won't communicate with me. In my opinion there is zero excuse for lack of communication.

So who else is out there? I'm newish to the pin scene as I'm mostly a video guy so not up on vendors.

#31 4 months ago

I am looking to reproduce a 1950 Esco “Judy” back glass.
    I figured I might have to hand paint it myself.

Unless there is a good place to go for such an old reproduction?

#32 4 months ago

Try https://www.coos.net/bingo_e/Backglasses.html

Fast and high quality.

Tom Considine on the Facebook group "Woodrail pinball machines, EM arcade games and little mechanical pins" seems to specialize in restoring obscure woodrail glasses I'd try to contact him.

#33 4 months ago

Paid for a backglass June 8th and just received a notification from Fedex that it's on the way. No other communication received...but I also didn't need any. If you need to have your hand held through the whole process I can certainly understand that. Backglasses aren't cheap and 4 months is a long wait. But I'd rather minimal communication but good work than the opposite.

#34 4 months ago
    Quoted from frisbez:

Paid for a backglass June 8th and just received a notification from Fedex that it's on the way. No other communication received...but I also didn't need any. If you need to have your hand held through the whole process I can certainly understand that. Backglasses aren't cheap and 4 months is a long wait. But I'd rather minimal communication but good work than the opposite.

It’s not about needing a hand held through the process. It would just be nice to get a confirmation that payment was received is all. Don’t know why you felt the need to be passive aggressive. Really was not called for.

When people send hundreds of dollars and do not hear anything for a few months that gets people concerned. People understand there is a wait and as do I. Just some communication would go a long way. We know he is busy, but just one reply would help. I honestly do not think that is expecting too much, especially if your running a business. I don’t condone people bombarding him with emails either.

I ordered my Stern Lightning backglass in June so hopefully get a notification soon also.

#35 4 months ago

Big difference between minimal and none.

Quoted from frisbez:Paid for a backglass June 8th and just received a notification from Fedex that it's on the way. No other communication received...but I also didn't need any. If you need to have your hand held through the whole process I can certainly understand that. Backglasses aren't cheap and 4 months is a long wait. But I'd rather minimal communication but good work than the opposite.

#36 4 months ago
    Quoted from frisbez:

He probably got hit with 4 or 5 PayPal claims and decided to see what orders he had in queue and fulfilled yours out of happenstance.

#37 4 months ago

I understand BGResto fills a need in the hobby. Obviously some glasses would never be reproduced otherwise. What puzzles me is when you look at the list of ones he's done. Why would someone opt for a BGRresto when there is silk screen option available from Shay or Ron Webb? True to the original for same or less money with good communication.

#38 4 months ago
    Quoted from BallyKISS1978:

It’s not about needing a hand held through the process. It would just be nice to get a confirmation that payment was received is all. Don’t know why you felt the need to be passive aggressive. Really was not called for.
    When people send hundreds of dollars and do not hear anything for a few months that gets people concerned. People understand there is a wait and as do I. Just some communication would go a long way. We know he is busy, but just one reply would help. I honestly do not think that is expecting too much, especially if your running a business. I don’t condone people bombarding him with emails either.
    I ordered my Stern Lightning backglass in June so hopefully get a notification soon also.

Wasn't meant to be passive aggressive but I can see how it might come across that way. I'm just excited to finally be getting the glass.

Running a small business myself I empathize with the dichotomy between the parts I like doing and the parts that feel a lot more like work. His methodology for better or worse has been pretty well documented. If it doesn't work for you that's totally reasonable.

#39 4 months ago

Ive ordered 3 times, yes 3-4 months, he told me that ahead of time and i would highly recommend, hes not amazon. He tells you upfront i don’t understand the complaints , if anyone complaining ordered a tri zone backglass i will give you the money and take the rest of your wait.

#40 4 months ago
    Quoted from Colehvac1:

Ive ordered 3 times, yes 3-4 months, he told me that ahead of time and i would highly recommend, hes not amazon. He tells you upfront i don’t understand the complaints , if anyone complaining ordered a tri zone backglass i will give you the money and take the rest of your wait.

My complaint is that I shipped a back glass on April 4 paid in full on April 20. Over 6 months now. He does not answer the phone, does not answer email, does not answer text. I will likely not get anything at this point. I will NEVER do business with him again regardless of quality. My questions is, am I the only one that has never gotten their back glass back? Has he ripped others off?

#41 4 months ago
    Quoted from AlexF:

I understand BGResto fills a need in the hobby. Obviously some glasses would never be reproduced otherwise. What puzzles me is when you look at the list of ones he's done. Why would someone opt for a BGRresto when there is silk screen option available from Shay or Ron Webb? True to the original for same or less money with good communication.

Indeed. The one BGresto I had seemed to be inkjet paper glued to glass and the lights made small circles shining through instead of spreading out like a silk screened one would do.

But ones with no other option, you gotta do what you gotta do.

#42 4 months ago

My complaint is that I shipped a back glass on April 4 paid in full on April 20. Over 6 months now. He does not answer the phone, does not answer email, does not answer text. I will likely not get anything at this point. I will NEVER do business with him again regardless of quality. My questions is, am I the only one that has never gotten their back glass back? Has he ripped others off?

People post this all the time about Steve. There's numerous post on here about him but no one reads them to understand what's going to occur but as soon as radio silence happens everyone runs to Pinside to complain. Maybe read up on him first then decide if he's someone you want to do business with instead of waiting till after the fact.

I had a glass sent to Steve several years ago, took him 8 months to get it done. Never heard from him in that timeframe. Once it was done he contacted me and sent the glass. Come to find out, the glass sent to him was broken in transit. Steve puzzled it back together to get a scan and the end result was well worth it.

To my knowledge Steve has never taken money and not delivered on a glass. He just takes a lot of time as (again) this is more a hobby for him. He works full time and travels a lot for work.

#43 4 months ago

I had inquired with Steve about making me a Williams Skill Pool glass and sent him some pictures but never ordered one. After radio silence, I found an original and sent him a message telling him never mind I already have one. The next message I got from him was that now my glass was ready. Whatever.

#44 4 months ago

I have not heard of anyone getting ripped off, i do know if you have a glass with mirror, you have to send him the one with mirror and he restores it, i would think that would take longer then the 3-4 months. Good news is no one is chiming in to say he takes your money and doesn't give you your product.

#45 4 months ago
    Quoted from Colehvac1:

Good news is no one is chiming in to say he takes your money and doesn't give you your product.

Well, that part is true for sure. He is an interesting dude. I had told him I had one he made for an old Williams Fiesta that came with the game and he almost insisted I buy the other one he had. I said no thanks, one is enough.

#46 4 months ago

Im not taking a side just to be clear, im just giving my experience is 3 glasses all were shipped within 4 months. He was very clear with me on each order that it would take at least 3 and the next time i would hear from him was when it was shipping, which is what happened each tome, i was happy with the quality of the repro.

#47 4 months ago

In this day and age, if you can't provide a little customer service with your product, i don't want to do business with your company. Nobody is so busy that they can't send an email. Ridiculous that people take up for this guys behavior.

#48 4 months ago
    Quoted from ccbiggsoo7:

In this day and age, if you can't provide a little customer service with your product, i don't want to do business with your company. Nobody is so busy that they can't send an email. Ridiculous that people take up for this guys behavior.

Riiiight!!!!??? Imagine taking your car to the repair shop where the are very helpful and responsive, then take your money, tell you your car will be ready in 2 weeks. Four weeks later you call and email no answer. Then you drive by the shop and its dark. 6 months later your car shows up out front. Are you and you going to say hey great job on replacing my alternator? Eccentric is one thing no customer service is another. Had I known I would not have sent money. Lesson learned. There are others that can replace BGs.

#49 4 months ago

Everyone time someone uses the “he travels a lot” defense, an innocent puppy is stomped on and killed.

#50 4 months ago

I kinda assumed there was just some kind of language barrier. Even where I live now, good English is hard to come by.

There are 79 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/-bgrestocom-for-glass-restoration?hl=ballykiss1978 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.