(Topic ID: 239833)

Best 80s Era Pin.....the Poll....Revised!

By Sonic

5 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 39 posts
  • 17 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 4 years ago by Sonic
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic poll

“Best 80s Era Pin”

• Fathom 10 votes
      5%
    • Centaur 10 votes
      5%
    • EBD 24 votes
      12%
    • Time Machine 1 vote
    • Spirit 1 vote
    • Barracora 2 votes
      1%
    • Pinbot 17 votes
      8%
    • Space Station 1 vote
    • Black Hole 8 votes
      4%
    • TX-Sector 6 votes
      3%
    • Medusa 0 votes
    • Catacomb 1 vote
    • Rollergames 1 vote
    • Diner 5 votes
      2%
    • Dr. Dude 1 vote
    • The Simpsons 0 votes
    • Cheetah 1 vote
    • EATPM 9 votes
      4%
    • Flash Gordon 13 votes
      6%
    • High Speed 16 votes
      8%
    • BK2K 7 votes
      3%
    • Quicksilver 6 votes
      3%
    • Earthshaker 5 votes
      2%
    • Seawitch 5 votes
      2%
    • Banzai Run 3 votes
      1%
    • Swords Of Fury 13 votes
      6%
    • Star Gazer 1 vote
    • Phantom Of The Opera 2 votes
      1%
    • Skateball 4 votes
      2%
    • F-14 Tomcat 3 votes
      1%
    • Firepower 8 votes
      4%
    • Sorcerer 4 votes
      2%
    • Mousin' Around 6 votes
      3%
    • Cyclone 6 votes
      3%
    • Paragon 5 votes
      2%

(205 votes)

This poll has been closed.

#1 5 years ago

I first created this poll about a week ago and had to make a few adjustments to the parameters (everyone takes things so literally)...as well as heard a few good suggestions of missing pins and decided to give this another try. I'm going to NOT include the ever-popular WW, Taxi and FH from this poll in the effort of digging a little deeper into 80's era pins. Yes, there will be a couple from 1990 and 1979 included (hence the word ERA) and there will be pins that aren't included that you may feel is unforgivable....oh well, not everyone likes Fire!, let alone laid hands on a Cyclopes or Night Moves....

#2 5 years ago

Vote cast. I hope Fathom and Centaur don't just steamroller over everything else.......

#3 5 years ago

Literally IS the word for the 80's - as we never saw such advancement in one decade of pinball before.

*We were 2 years removed ffrom the last EMs one the back end.
    *We were 1 year removed from DMD on the front end.
    The games through the 80's are just too varied, like no other 10 year period.

Not my favorite but definitely the most important, I must vote for High Speed.

#4 5 years ago

You forgot to list TAXI.

#5 5 years ago

Never mind. I see where you are going with this. But it seems like you should eliminate fathom, centaur, cyclone ect.

#6 5 years ago

Where is the original BK (Black Knight), 1980?

#8 5 years ago

So far:
    #1 EBD
    #2 BK2K
    And #3: An 8-way tie.....wow....HS, PB, SOF, SkateBall, BH, FP, SW & EATPM

#9 5 years ago

Where is the option "None of the above"?

#10 5 years ago

No love for Roller games?

#11 5 years ago

EBD and Pinbot hold the lead with Firepower close behind...of course we don't even have a 100 data points...be good to get this poll up to 200 votes if we could....

1 week later
    #12 5 years ago

EBD and Pinbot hold the lead.......

2 weeks later
    #13 4 years ago

Was hoping still for more data points - but it looks like EBD will get the win, with Flash Gordon a close 2nd....

#14 4 years ago

Taxi.

How is this not on your list?!

#15 4 years ago
    Quoted from Blackbeard:

Taxi.
    How is this not on your list?!

Read the very first post......it was by design....

#16 4 years ago
    Quoted from Sonic:

I'm going to NOT include the ever-popular WW, Taxi and FH from this poll in the effort of digging a little deeper into 80's era pins.

You can't do a 1980's poll and not include Taxi, Whirlwind and where is the original 1980 Black Knight game? Funhouse does not matter anyways in a 1980's poll since IT IS A 1990'S game.

#17 4 years ago
    Quoted from Sonic:

Read the very first post......it was by design....

Revise poll and your thread to include these pins.

Poll is deemed invalid without.

#18 4 years ago
    Quoted from Blackbeard:

Revise poll and your thread to include these pins.
    Poll is deemed invalid without.

I know you jest, but this is the revised poll - the first poll seemed to only have votes for WW, FH and Taxi - I thought it best to dig a little deeper....so they had to be removed to get a little deeper look.....

#19 4 years ago

Where’s Taxi?

#20 4 years ago

NBC cancelled it in '83.....

#21 4 years ago

Space Shuttle?

#22 4 years ago

Bad Cats?

#24 4 years ago

That's exactly what my review read when it debuted in the West End in '81.....

#25 4 years ago
    Quoted from Sonic:

Was lost in '86

And ‘03. And definitely not funny

#26 4 years ago

Pinbot, I think, easily wins this.

It's emcompasses just what pinball is. You vs. the machine.

Pinbot has some of the best sounds and music in pinball ever. The game is brutally difficult. Short ball times and the hardness of the game is what I love. It's so iconic.

#27 4 years ago

Pinbot, EBD, HS...aren't a surprise....but, IMHO, I thought Flash Gordon was an interesting surprise....

#28 4 years ago

Flash Gordon was hated in the arcades as it was too tough to win games.
    However in the home market it's wonderful for the same reason!

#29 4 years ago

Here's what I learned after creating a few polls about 80s and 90s games many years ago...

1. Do not use your subjectively measured parameters to create the initial base. They may not match how most people see the groupings. You can start by proposing your own parameters, but I recommend you put them up to a challenge first.
    2. Start with write in options and count "thumbs ups" to get your initial base created so that the crowd feels more like they are the ones creating the base.
    3. Have several rounds of polling to learn which pins keep winning in head to head or elimination rounds. It can be informative.
    4. No matter how carefully you create the parameters and test them, and set up the base -- a few people will still call the poll rubbish.

Here's an example of a poll that was pretty fun over 4 rounds: (It still had a few rough edges as a few people disagreed on parameters: what could be had for $2500 at the time, based on their location of course) -- back at this time, if you recall, we could only have 9 games in a poll.

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/your-top-9-2500-dmds

#31 4 years ago
    Quoted from DRDAVE:

Flash Gordon was hated in the arcades as it was too tough to win games.
    However in the home market it's wonderful for the same reason!

It still amazes me how many people don’t realize how tremendous a game Fg is. To me it embodies everything great about 80s games. And it’s tough. Real real tough. And fun.

And it’s the biggest bargain out there-one of the best ever for under 2k.

#32 4 years ago

Simple, some people are still easily amazed.
    -mof

#33 4 years ago

RG getting 0 votes is interesting....I'm not enamored with the theme - but the game play and toys are hard to argue....

#34 4 years ago
    Quoted from Sonic:

RG getting 0 votes is interesting....I'm not enamored with the theme - but the game play and toys are hard to argue....

There, now it has one. I was a Taxi vote at first if I remember right. RG isn't going to have the break through signifigance of some of the others like Pinbot, High Speed. Probably not the nostalgic connection like EBD or coolness of SoF. RG really proved to be a great system 11 pin to me though, easily in the top 10 sys11 pins on my list.

#35 4 years ago
    Quoted from ejg10532626:

Not my favorite but definitely the most important, I must vote for High Speed.

Really ejg??? Really? Did you not see EBD on the list? You crazy man

#36 4 years ago

I'll close it once we reach 200 votes...but i'll be hard to beat EBD at this point...

#37 4 years ago

Almost to 200....5 more votes....if they aren't all for Pinbot - looks like EBD will win this little poll.

#38 4 years ago

EBD!

#39 4 years ago

And there it is....EBD was never behind the 8-ball in this one.....

#1 Eight Ball Deluxe
    #2 Pinbot
    #3 High Speed
    #4 (Tie) Swords of Fury & Flash Gordon

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/-best-80s-era-pinthe-pollrevised and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.