Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 36 posts
  • 24 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 4 years ago by kklank
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic poll

“Best 80's Era Alphanumeric?”

• Fathom 8 votes
      5%
    • EATPM 8 votes
      5%
    • Centaur 10 votes
      6%
    • Taxi 14 votes
      9%
    • 8BD 8 votes
      5%
    • Flash Gordon 9 votes
      6%
    • Time Machine 0 votes
    • BK2K 6 votes
      4%
    • Spirit 1 vote
      1%
    • Quicksilver 5 votes
      3%
    • Barracora 1 vote
      1%
    • Earthshaker 4 votes
      3%
    • Pinbot 8 votes
      5%
    • Seawitch 4 votes
      3%
    • Space Station 0 votes
    • Banzai Run 2 votes
      1%
    • Black Hole 7 votes
      4%
    • Swords Of Fury 2 votes
      1%
    • TX-Sector 3 votes
      2%
    • Andromeda 0 votes
    • Medusa 3 votes
      2%
    • Star Gazer 0 votes
    • Catacomb 0 votes
    • High Speed 6 votes
      4%
    • Rollergames 3 votes
      2%
    • Phantom Of The Opera 0 votes
    • Funhouse 14 votes
      9%
    • Skateball 0 votes
    • Diner 1 vote
      1%
    • Whirlwind 19 votes
      12%
    • Dr. Dude 2 votes
      1%
    • Cheetah 4 votes
      3%
    • The Simpsons 2 votes
      1%
    • Firepower 4 votes
      3%
    • Cheetah 1 vote
      1%

(159 votes)

This poll has been closed.

#1 4 years ago

Thinking of getting an alpha/later SS
    ....a lot of these polls don't usually seem to include Gott's, DE's and such...so here's my best attempt to get the more prominent ones most folks play......yes, there are a few 1990 pins of course....

#2 4 years ago

A large portion of your list aren't even alpha-numeric games.

#3 4 years ago
    Quoted from RJW:

A large portion of your list aren't even alpha-numeric games.

What does that have to do with anything? It's just a display. The later 80's pins had more "gadgets and what have you" but the early 80's pins were the best pure playing pins, in my opinion. Quicksilver, Eight Ball Deluxe, and Flash Gordon among many other early SS pins are some of the best games ever made, regardless of display. I never understood the obsession with the display, I mean seriously fellas, games aren't better just because they have a DMD. Who plays the display? The action is on the playfield.

#4 4 years ago

Any 80's list that doesn't include Fireball Classic I disregard. Who set the parameters for what is a Classic? The International Pinball Council?
    Sorry, I don't like these standards, disagree with their implementation and challenge their veracity.

#5 4 years ago
    Quoted from Frippertron:

What does that have to do with anything? It's just a display. The later 80's pins had more "gadgets and what have you" but the early 80's pins were the best pure playing pins, in my opinion. Quicksilver, Eight Ball Deluxe, and Flash Gordon among many other early SS pins are some of the best games ever made, regardless of display. I never understood the obsession with the display, I mean seriously fellas, games aren't better just because they have a DMD. Who plays the display? The action is on the playfield.

Exactly.....I didn't want to get too literal here...just consider 80's era pins...nothing complex, just a simple poll of the some more notable 80's era pins that are a mix of alpha and 'later' SS pins....

#7 4 years ago

I raise you Eight Ball Deluxe.

#8 4 years ago
    Quoted from Frippertron:

I raise you Eight Ball Deluxe.

That’s not enough. BIG GAME is at least double EBD. You’re going to need to throw in at least a Flash Gordon to stay in this hand.

#9 4 years ago
    Quoted from Frippertron:

Lol, the poll specifically asks best alpha-numeric pin?

Seems strange to include non-alphanumeric pins, that's all.

#10 4 years ago
    Quoted from RJW:

Lol, the poll specifically asks best alpha-numeric pin?
    Seems strange to include non-alphanumeric pins, that's all.

Just a simple title oversight...the voting choices are precise...

#11 4 years ago
    Quoted from chuckwurt:

That’s not enough. BIG GAME is at least double EBD. You’re going to need to throw in at least a Flash Gordon to stay in this hand.

I RE-raise Quicksilver and the darkhorse RoboWar! I know you like this gem just like I do.

#12 4 years ago
    Quoted from Frippertron:

I RE-raise Quicksilver and the darkhorse RoboWar! I know you like this gem just like I do.

Now that’s a serious bet! Haha

#13 4 years ago

Rudy is an icon....

#14 4 years ago

Now that is what i call a poll!

Usually they only have some games, i applaud you for the effort. May the best game win.
    i love Barracora, Fathom, Funhouse, quicksilver and flash gordon, but Whirlwind gets my vote.

#15 4 years ago

FIREPOWER
    the one to really get my juices flowing first.
    BEST ERA EVER!

#16 4 years ago

Sorcerer is a better game than over half of the options listed...

#17 4 years ago
    Quoted from Axl:

Now that is what i call a poll!
    Usually they only have some games, i applaud you for the effort. May the best game win.
    i love Barracora, Fathom, Funhouse, quicksilver and flash gordon, but Whirlwind gets my vote.

This is my favorite era too. How about another Roger Sharpe classic, Cyclopes! Incredible ruleset in this rarely seen game. If any of you have a chance to play it, I highly recommend it.

#18 4 years ago

Let me give an honorable mention to "Fire!" Not sure why it didn't make the list, but I enjoy it more than many on the list.

On the list, I'm torn between BK2K and Funhouse...

#19 4 years ago

Whirlwind, taxi and mousin around you're welcome yes I have been drinking.

#20 4 years ago

Haha, man you stick to your guns and beat that drum in every thread I see like this. I need more play time on one.
    My personal flav is taxi if we are talkin 80’s

#21 4 years ago

It's almost mean that we can only vote for one of these. In a nod to two really nice ones - one across from my booth at York and one adjacent to my booth at TPF, I went with Rollergames. Both examples played very well and kept me entertained when I need a break from the booth. I hope some from this list are near my booths in Allentown and/or the Northwest show in May/June. "Go for the Wall!"

-Rob
    -visit http://www.kahr.us to get my daughterboard that helps fix WPC pinball resets or my replacement potentiometer solutions for Williams system 3-7 sound boards

#22 4 years ago

Also dr dude, funhouse, rollergames, whirlwind, and diner were all 1990 so technically they don’t fit

#23 4 years ago
    Quoted from tilted81:

Also dr dude, funhouse, rollergames, whirlwind, and diner were all 1990 so technically they don’t fit

Right...thanks' for re-capturing the very first post....

#24 4 years ago

Another vote for Cyclopes!

#25 4 years ago

Man talk about an impossible choice. I went Flash Gordon because I obviously haven’t been racked by that game in a while.

#26 4 years ago

If you include 1990, you might as well include the late 70's classic Paragon! One of the greatest widebody designs ever. This pin WILL make you a better player and it is very tough to beat. You have to have a Valinor like run in order to complete every objective and Max your bonus. Game never gets old.

#27 4 years ago

flash gordon all the way. emperor ming awaits!

#28 4 years ago

Whirlwind is a very good pin...

#29 4 years ago

This is not a alpha-numeric vote. Void.

Edit: And where is Meteor and Flight 2000 anyway. Null and Void.

#30 4 years ago

Sorcerer or Mousin Around for me

#31 4 years ago

I was thinking Mousin’ Around and someone just posted it. It’s a better game than you know.

#32 4 years ago

Your poll doesn’t include F14 Tomcat, so as such it is void.

rd

#33 4 years ago

I should have left off the usual suspects WW, FH and Taxi - and get into a little more of the deeper titles....I'll leave the poll open for several days and see what the results are...

#34 4 years ago

Impossible to answer question, but nice experiment.
    80's went from Quicksilver to Flash Gordon to Fathom to Cyclopes to Pinbot to Earthshaker, and so much more in between.

The 2 most important games:
    1. High Speed: Saved pinball. 100% saved it.
    2. Space Shuttle: Showed what was possible, and started the renewed interest.

#1 80's game I have never had and would keep forever if I grabbed: Fathom

Edit:
    Phantom of the Opera has no business on this list. None.

#35 4 years ago

There's a world of difference between an early solid state & an alphanumeric. Eight Ball Deluxe and Whirlwind are both fantastic games, but you'd be hard pressed to find two more different titles.

I'd figure out whether you want a solid state or an alphanumeric first.
    Pro-tip: You need a few SS, and one Alpha

#36 4 years ago

Fathom. Amazing.
    Dragonfist. Spectacular.
    Cheetah and BIG Game. So good.
    Atlantis. Really fun.
    EBD. Best pool theme ever.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/-best-80s-era-alphanumeric-pin and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.