IMG_0517 (resized).JPG
IMG_0515 (resized).JPG
IMG_0516 (resized).JPG
IMG_0514 (resized).JPG
FA1C3918-C4F3-4194-9F76-DACB4CFB9FD0 (resized).jpeg
20210621_163842 (resized).jpg
20210621_163643 (resized).jpg
IMG_0506 (resized).JPG

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Phbooms.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#13 2 years ago

My wifes grandfather had a house full of grandfather clocks and i mean a house full of them like a hoarder. She got one from him not long before he passed. It worked perfect when we got it but when we moved and took the weights off it never worked right for 13 years until we moved again. Then i read the book that came with it and took it all apart. Then i bought another one that was broken for my dad and fixed it and have fixed a few at her grandmothers that stopped working since he passed.

When you disassemble number the weights in order cause they usually are different weights per hand they move or chimes. The spring is really just a thin piece of metal and usually they come with extras and need replaced the most. Do not move the clock hands forward always do it backwards and if you need to adjust forward by a minute or so swing the pendulum by hand quickly. Level it perfect. When you turn the pendulm nuts 1/2 turn equals 30 seconds per 24 hours. Up makes it faster down makes it slower on the pendulm nuts.

So when you pick it up take pictures of the way the pendulm hooks to the "spring" and number the weights and you should be good. If you have issues PM me i might be able to help depending on the issue.

#16 2 years ago
Quoted from Coyote:

Careful with this advice! It varies by mechanism! My unit for example, requires turning the hands forward or it will shear off the hour-chime stop.
..Ask me how I learned this.

interesting...ive worked on about 6 of them now and all said not to turn them clockwise but with so many styles of them out there I'm sure your 100% right. So id read the manual first. It's crazy reading these old manuals and some of the words they used and the drawings are funny usually.

#17 2 years ago
Quoted from Mopar:

I was thinking the lower the pendulum, the faster it swings, but no. The lower it is, the wider the swing, thus
taking more time to swing left to right, right to left. Good info..

Joe (the owner) said he always moved the hands forward, but I'll keep what you said in mind. If it's behind, I'll manually
speed up the pendulum, and if it's ahead, I was thinking to just stop the pendulum and start it back up once the accurate
time reaches the clocks hands. I figured touching the hands as little as possible might be best. I have literature that came
with the clock that I'll be reading up on..

Yea, I was going to take a before pic of the weights and mech anyways, but there's only two weights. The one on
the left looks like a large bullet facing downward, and the right one is flat. Years back, he put an "L" on the left one and
it's still there. I'll take a pic of the pendulum and watch carefully, but it only looks to be hooked on a perch and lifts straight
up and off. But no matter, being delicate I imagine is the key..
I did a quick check, and 1799 seems to match Samuel Harper's time frame, so I'd have to think the date is accurate..
Yes, and Thanks. I'll shoot you a pm for tips on lubricating or anything else that may pop up. Appreciate it..
Anyone that would like to post a pic of their Grandfather Clock (or any vintage clock), I wouldn't mind seeing, along
with the year if known..
Clocks aren't really my hobby, but still can be interesting.. (T)

Top pic is my wife's clock and bottom pic is one I fixed for my pops.

20210621_163643 (resized).jpg20210621_163643 (resized).jpg20210621_163842 (resized).jpg20210621_163842 (resized).jpg
#20 2 years ago
Quoted from Mopar:

Any idea on the year the two were made?
I like the ones where the weights and pendulum are
shown. Almost like an animated EM pinball backglass..
I wonder if there may be a glass conversion door for
mine? I guess I could always make one to look halfway
legit..

Im not to sure of year of one i got for my dad, i got it off a older couple that didnt know how to make it work from Letgo. All that was wrong with it was somebody bent the hour hand and it was catching on the minute hand making it seem like it stopped working. The one from her grandpa is older im guessing 1950s or earlier but i looked through all the paper work and there wasnt any dates anywhere, sorta weird.

On the door you could easily cut the hole for glass and router a edge on the inside for glass to fit in and router the outside edge and get some matching stain and would look nice i think.

#22 2 years ago
Quoted from LTG:

Might devalue a 200+ year old clock.
Unless it's been replaced ? Or maybe make an exact new one with window so you can save the old one.
LTG : )

I was thinking that to actually as I typed it.

Mopar have you found any actual dates on the clock or in the paper work?

#24 2 years ago
Quoted from LTG:

1st post and 7th post. 1799

I see that but i dont know if I actually believe its that old honestly, thats just the model i believe unless he can verify it somewhere with a date stamp on clock or manual that might be with it.

Also if when you set it up and it chimes the wrong hours give it some time and see if it will correct itself before trying to manually fix it, they usually straighten themselves out within a few hours.

#27 2 years ago
Quoted from Spyderturbo007:

I have a really cool coo coo clock I bought about 25 years ago when I was in Germany in a box somewhere. It's really nice, but the weights are only for 24 hours, so it's just a pain in the butt having to deal with everyday so I never put it back up.

Do the weights look like pine cones? Do you want to sell it by chance? My grandma had one from Germany also and I always liked it.

#28 2 years ago
Quoted from LTG:

See post #14.
We once owned a grandfather clock form Kinghorn Scotland made in the 1700's. Looking at his clocks face leads me to believe the year is right.

It does look old faced for sure and I would like it to really be from 1799 cause that would make it even cooler in my book!

#38 2 years ago
Quoted from Mopar:

Yes, even the owner didn't realize you're suppose to wear gloves until he himself read
it in the literature..
The clock I picked up is older, but yours is fancy with the nice looking pendulum and weights.
Mines just looks plain so it's probably best that the weights and pendulum don't show..
It seems to be keeping accurate time, but it's not chiming. Seems like the weight for the
chime isn't dropping, but maybe I'm wrong. I'll check again in the morning.

The chain might of slipped off the chime gear if it's that style mech.

#40 2 years ago
Quoted from Mopar:

Thanks. I check later tonight, and the weight is dropping. I didn't notice a chain, but
tomorrow I'll take a closer look and snap a pic.. (T)

There could also be a switch to turn the chime off also since your saying the weight is moving.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Phbooms.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/-anyone-with-vintage-grandfather-clock-knowledge-out-the?tu=Phbooms and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.