(Topic ID: 326539)

'81 Bally Centaur self-test button unresponsive...

By Dakine747

1 year ago

Topic Stats

• 6 posts
  • 4 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 1 year ago by Dakine747
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

857D7DBF-26B9-4A00-837F-96B9A07D545D (resized).jpeg

#1 1 year ago

Greetings, hoping someone can help me solve an issue that I found tonight on my '81 Centaur.

In trying to diagnose/solve a different issue with the multiball deployment channel under the playfield (different topic altogether), I noticed I'm getting no response at all from the self-test button inside the coin door. There are no loose/detached wires that I can see. I've had pretty good luck with various issues that have popped up on my five early ss Ballys thus far, but this is a new one for me. Electrical issues aren't generally in my wheelhouse, but I'm eager to ride that learning curve.

Any guidance here would be very much appreciated. Thanks...

#2 1 year ago

Probably a connector issue on the MPU, try wiggling the right side connectors of the MPU while pushing self test. I dont have my schematic handy to tell you exactly which pin it is.

#3 1 year ago
Quoted from Dakine747:

Greetings, hoping someone can help me solve an issue that I found tonight on my '81 Centaur.
In trying to diagnose/solve a different issue with the multiball deployment channel under the playfield (different topic altogether), I noticed I'm getting no response at all from the self-test button inside the coin door. There are no loose/detached wires that I can see. I've had pretty good luck with various issues that have popped up on my five early ss Ballys thus far, but this is a new one for me. Electrical issues aren't generally in my wheelhouse, but I'm eager to ride that learning curve.
Any guidance here would be very much appreciated. Thanks...

Just sell it to me and you won't have to give it a second thought

#4 1 year ago
Quoted from pincoin:

Probably a connector issue on the MPU, try wiggling the right side connectors of the MPU while pushing self test. I dont have my schematic handy to tell you exactly which pin it is.

Thanks buddy! That worked! I’m seeing it’s a two-piece connector ( ! ), so I’m going to repin this before I proceed to the multiball trough issue. Cheers!!

857D7DBF-26B9-4A00-837F-96B9A07D545D (resized).jpeg857D7DBF-26B9-4A00-837F-96B9A07D545D (resized).jpeg
#5 1 year ago

Ouch, you need a new J1 shell for sure. You may not need to repin though. Those crimps are factory tinned and may only need a cleaning.

#6 1 year ago
Quoted from BigAl56:

Ouch, you need a new J1 shell for sure. You may not need to repin though. Those crimps are factory tinned and may only need a cleaning.

That’s J3, and it’s got a brand new connector as of two days ago. It needed it.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 85.00

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/-81-bally-centaur-self-test-button-unresponsive and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.