View topic image gallery

20190202_114914 (resized).jpg
20180816_094614 (resized).jpg
20180816_094517 (resized).jpg
20180816_094344 (resized).jpg
20180816_093659 (resized).jpg
20180816_094042 (resized).jpg
image-23 (resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Morinphen.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1 5 years ago

For my first pinball machine I kind of made an impulse buy of a '78 Williams World Cup for $75. Playfield was in decent condition with only a few minor things missing. Backbox was empty of any boards / displays, the backglass looks "okay". Also found that all of the wires from the bottom had been cut off at the point where they would go up to the backbox.

So far I was able to find the missing playfield plastics and purchased an MPU board off ebay at a decent price that's already been gone over and tested. I am wondering if taking this on will be a complete money sink trying to re-wire everything or to slowly work on it little by little picking pieces up as they become available to me. Working on getting more photos added.

image-23 (resized).jpgimage-23 (resized).jpg

20180816_094042 (resized).jpg20180816_094042 (resized).jpg20180816_093659 (resized).jpg20180816_093659 (resized).jpg20180816_094344 (resized).jpg20180816_094344 (resized).jpg20180816_094517 (resized).jpg20180816_094517 (resized).jpg20180816_094614 (resized).jpg20180816_094614 (resized).jpg
#3 5 years ago
Quoted from YeOldPinPlayer:

Yes. Almost every restoration is when you factor in your labor. If your primary motive is profit forget it.

I purchased this to keep and play, maybe one day sell to afford another machine.

#6 5 years ago
Quoted from PinballAir:

Like the OP said, if you restore it you will lose money.
Putting it back together to get it running will also likely be a loss.
BUT, look at it this way:
You will learn skills to repair and keep up your next machine.
You will have a game to play and enjoy.
You will have the satisfaction of fixing something.
You will have something cool that when people come to your house they will want to talk about it and play it.
You will save a piece of history.
You will be able to sell it and it will continue to be enjoyed.
All priceless and all good reasons to get it going. It is why I do not keep track of the money I spend on restorations.
If you are doing it for profit get out now before the addiction sets in.

All very good points. I should point out I began taking pinball repair classes as PAPA this year.

Should I start working on the cabinet itself or wait until I have all the parts and make it playable before that?

#8 5 years ago
Quoted from mario_1_up:

buy parts as they come along and rebuild it over time. I had bought one that the same family owned since to early 80's. I had some spinner decals made up because I couldn't find any. If you need let me know I will send a set out to you.

That would be awesome considering it is missing the spinner, thanks!

#14 5 years ago
Quoted from Pecos:

That’s a nice looking playfield, worth saving, but every ‘island of Misfit Pin’ is worth saving to me. If you do decide to save it, the feeling you get when done is really special. There is no shortage of help and support on Pinside bringing Project Pins back from the dead.
I have owned a World Cup and it was one of my go to games when I wanted to play a short, simple game of pinball. Some people don’t like the kick-out slots. They send the pinball toward the kick-out holes, sort of on auto pilot, but I liked that part of the game myself.

I personally think the kickouts are a unique feature on this game.

#15 5 years ago

So, would it be a feasible task to try and find a new playfield wiring harness? I'm gonna start working on the cabinet soon and I keep staring at all the cut wires and it is looking like a bigger job than i might be prepared for.

#17 5 years ago
Quoted from DNO:

More detailed pics of the wiring harness are needed.
Is any of the harness for the head there?
If not, this becomes a HUGE project

A huge project would probably be a understatement. Head is completely empty.
20190202_114914 (resized).jpg20190202_114914 (resized).jpg

#21 5 years ago
Quoted from cody_chunn:

Consider putting this project aside until you can buy a populated head from the era. You are going to put more resources into this game than you will ever realize in entertainment and eventually a sell price when you get bored with it. If you can find a STEAL on a populated head you won't be as far under water on it.

This is probably what I will end up doing. For the time being I am going to clean up what I can of the cabinet and playfield and wait until I find exactly what I will need to finish it. Yes it was super impulsive to purchase this wanting my first pin, but I knew I wanted an early SS that would be somewhat of a good learning experience.

Thank you everyone for the advice!

3 months later
#22 4 years ago

Well I have been patiently waiting and keeping my eyes open. Finally found someone parting out a world cup. He's agreed to send me the wiring, displays, driver board, PS board, transformer, and the remaining play field parts i am missing. This restore may actually happen.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 20.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

$ 10.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 12.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
UpKick Pinball

$ 170.00
Displays
Digipinball Shop

$ 130.00
Electronics
KAHR.US Circuits

Tools
Pincoder Store

$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 65.00
Boards
Pinball Haus

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Morinphen.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/-78-williams-world-cup-worth-restoring?tu=Morinphen and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.