You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

pasted_image (resized).png
pasted_image (resized).png
Capture (resized).PNG
#1 3 years ago

Yet another score motor keeps running thread. Just finished my major refurb and fired it up. It had a few bugs that I worked out and got everything working perfect except the match light wouldn't come on. Adjusted a switch on the game over relay that sends power to those lights and when I fired it up the score motor wouldn't stop running and the bonus unit keeps firing.

All score reels reset nicely, no closed coin switches, game over light is on. I checked all of the switches that send power to the motor and they are all open so not sure where it's getting it's power. Reset bank resets.

I have the schematics but not very good at understanding them.
Looked over all of the relays and all of the switches appear to be opening and closing as they should. I've read multiple threads about running motors and tried many of the suggestions but no luck. Any help will be much appreciated. Posted on Face Book as well

#2 3 years ago

I would look at one of the score relays ....usually the 500 point one because this turns the score motor 1/4 turn at a time ...I had a Jungle that did the same thing and it turned out being a contact on the 500 point relay, It also sounds like it could be one of the bonus switches being closed or shorted

#3 3 years ago

Thank you. I will take a much closer look at the score relays and let you know my findings.

#4 3 years ago

This is from a different game, but you should have similar on your schematic that show the sw. make the SM run. Check these relays one by one by blocking the sw. shown with paper and see if you find it that way.

Capture (resized).PNGCapture (resized).PNG
#5 3 years ago

currieddog has the right idea. Here's that section of the schematic from Outer Space with the relevant switches circled in red

pasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).png
#6 3 years ago

Thanks Currie and Howard. I have already checked all of these switches as well as their solder tabs. All were open.
I will look a them again and do as Currieddog suggested and block them one by one.
Will be a couple hours before I get another chance to look at it.

#7 3 years ago
Quoted from mstire:

I have already checked all of these switches as well as their solder tabs. All were open.

I would try blocking each of the score relays to track it down.

#8 3 years ago

I'll try that too.

#9 3 years ago

This is what I checked during my lunch break.

Blocked all of the motor power switches and pulled the paper out one at a time. Only the reset bank SB would make the motor run but it should run when the reset bank pulls in. There. must be something that cuts power to that switch. I pulled all the Jones plugs in the back box but motor still runs and bonus unit keeps firing. That should rule out anything in the back box including the 10s,100,1k and 10k relays.

Looked at 500 and 3000 point relays. All switches are open and don't pull in upon powering up.

I blocked motor 1A and the bonus unit stopped firing but the motor kept running. Probably not significant.

That's as far as I got. I think the more things I try the more I can eliminate.

Any other suggestions are much appreciated.

#10 3 years ago

any chance that the brake tab is broken? there is a finger on the disk that acts as a brake this keeps the motor from spinning to far .....if the motor goes beyond the stop position it will go around again

#11 3 years ago

Brake looks to be in good shape with good tension. I've read about motor over run and the problems it can cause.
Thanks for the suggestion.

#12 3 years ago

The Control Bank Reset solenoid should reset the SB relay which should then stop the motor from running. During reset does the Player unit step around to open the P5A switch?

#13 3 years ago

I'll check that this evening, Reset relay also has P1B and P1C contacts. Should they be checked too?
I can't seem to Find P5A in the schematics. Just wanted to see what else it goes to.

#14 3 years ago
Quoted from mstire:

I can't seem to Find P5A in the schematics

It's between 15F and 16F

#15 3 years ago

Found it! Bottom of the page.
If the player unit is in the back box and I unplugged all of the Jones plugs to the back box and the motor still runs wouldn't that eliminate any chance the problem could be there?

#16 3 years ago
Quoted from mstire:

If the player unit is in the back box and I unplugged all of the Jones plugs to the back box and the motor still runs wouldn't that eliminate any chance the problem could be there?

No, because the SB relay and its contact that runs the motor isn't in the backbox.

Quoted from HowardR:

During reset does the Player unit step around to open the P5A switch?

I misspoke. I should have said
During reset does the Player unit step around to close the P5A switch?

#17 3 years ago

Feels like I'm losing ground. Before, when I coined up the machine would reset. Now the only way it resets is is when I manually advance the player unit a notch. Then only the score reels reset and the reset bank solenoid does not pull in. When the player unit finishes it's sequence and rests at home position P5A is closed.

While the motor is running I can manually trip or un trip most of the relays without any effect on the motor running or the bonus unit firing.

I feel like it's on the bottom board so it might be time to pull that out and put it on the bench with better lighting and can look at everything from better angles

#18 3 years ago
Quoted from mstire:

Now the only way it resets is is when

If the Replay Button relay (V) doesn't activate when you press the Replay button, Inspect and diagnose this circuit with Alligator clip jumper wires
http://www.planetimming.com/Pinball/troubleshooting/EM%20Troubleshooting.pdf
http://www.pinrepair.com/em/index3.htm#features

pasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).png
#19 3 years ago

Will do and report back tomorrow morning "

#20 3 years ago

Did you check the SB armature? and ae the banks well-seated?

#21 3 years ago

The bank is well seated and tightened down. SB armature moving as it should. I have been latching and releasing it to make sure the switches are doing what they should.

Going to check out the circuit Howard suggested during lunch break to see if I can get the bank to reset.

#22 3 years ago

Well.........Embarrassed to say, it turns out the 1/2 amp fuse for the reset bank was blown. I found out as soon as I started using the jumper and the bank solenoid didn't fire. Score reels reset, bonus unit stops firing and the motor stops. That silence is a beautiful thing!

It won't start a game though. Ball in the out hole and not kicking out. I'm sure while poking around I changed something. I had to get back to work and couldn't look into it. If I can't figure that one out it will be a topic for another thread.

Want to thank you guys for you patience and help.

#23 3 years ago
Quoted from mstire:

Well.........Embarrassed to say, it turns out the 1/2 amp fuse for the reset bank was blown.

You're sure not the first!! Glad you found it.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Cabinet - Other
Space Coast Pinball

Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/-72-gottlieb-outer-space-score-motor-keeps-running?hl=howardr and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.