You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_9102 (resized).jpg
IMG_9048 (resized).jpg
IMG_9039 (resized).jpg
#1 3 years ago

So 5 years in the making (or really 12 since I inherited the machine), and I am finally starting to restore my 1962 Williams World Series. It has been 5 years since I found this SteveinTexas thread to inspire me to tackle this: https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/williams-1962-world-series-pitch-bat-game-restore-%e2%80%93part-2#post-2459599

From that thread, you can see I have a number of issues with function, most of which appear to be down to gummed up steppers. I've been collecting parts, cleaners, waxes, knowledge and tools, and have finally started in earnest.

First effort was to remove the back assembly from the system, and check for stuck steppers. The first and most egregious of which was the replay unit. Through several pictures and a slow process, I got the assembly taken apart, cleaned, lubricated with some Teflon Super Lube, and reassembled. The improvement is massive, but I am not sure it is perfect yet. Take a look at the attached video and let me know what you think. I don't want to move the assembly back into the system to test as I have more steppers to clean up. But I figured I could get some good feedback while working on the others.

My thought is that the decrement should be working a bit more cleanly. Seems the spring should be a bit tighter on that, or maybe I need to wind/unwind the cog spring. On the other hand, it may just be that it is hard for me to readily simulate the click speed at which the decrement coil should fire.

#2 3 years ago

It is difficult to mimic the speed/force that the machine fires the coil at. I use a slap/flick method where I depress the plunger quickly and let my finger slide off quickly so the plunger isn't held at the bottom of the stroke.

#3 3 years ago
Quoted from alkregha:

My thought is that the decrement should be working a bit more cleanly. Seems the spring should be a bit tighter on that, or maybe I need to wind/unwind the cog spring. On the other hand, it may just be that it is hard for me to readily simulate the click speed at which the decrement coil should fire.

You're right that the decrement should be working more cleanly. The problem could be a dirty mechanism or it could be as you say that the torsion spring should be a little tighter. It's a bit of a balance because the torsion spring has to be loose enough that the increment can wind it up and tight enough so the decrement can work too.

#4 3 years ago

Thanks. I’ll give the decrement mechanism another cleaning / checkout. And then play with the spring settings to see if I can get a good balance between increment and decrement.

I’ll also try it a few more times with a better “decrement technique”. One I feel I have it as good as I can get, I may just have to give it a try in the machine.

1 month later
#5 3 years ago

After ultimately purchasing an ultrasonic and a tumbler I got better results. I still believe that initiating the decrement firing is tricky , but I trust it will be good now once I load it in the machine. I’ve now done 4 steppers and am gaining confidence and technique.

Thanks for the help guys !

#6 3 years ago

This was mine when I started the restoration. No problem here, right?

IMG_9039 (resized).jpgIMG_9039 (resized).jpg
#7 3 years ago

Wow that is incredible. Gonna make for a nice before / after photo comparison though !

#8 3 years ago
Quoted from alkregha:

Wow that is incredible. Gonna make for a nice before / after photo comparison though !

Here's the coil and plunger. I had to use a cutoff whee to remove it. Assembly with replacement coil and plunger.

IMG_9048 (resized).jpgIMG_9048 (resized).jpgIMG_9102 (resized).jpgIMG_9102 (resized).jpg
#9 3 years ago

Excellent work on that repair ! Looks fantastic now !

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/-62-williams-world-series-replay-stepper-adjustment and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.