• Latest reply 3 years ago by BC_Gambit
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

full board (resized).PNG
schematic pic (resized).PNG

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider BC_Gambit.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1 3 years ago

I am working on an acid damaged MPU and just as I thought I was almost done, I was doing some continuity tests and found that the +5V and ground "shorted out" (tested as continous) with my meter.

Setting to Ohms I think I get ~17 ohms between them.

This goes over most of the board (e.g. all of the "bypass" capacitors test as "continous" when testing both sides, and both sides of these capacitors test as continuous to ground.

I have spent even more time checking my work, but as this MPU's functionality is unknown I don't know if there is a problem hidden somewhere (blown chip?) or if this is just normal and it would work if I was blissfully unaware and plugged it in.

Hopefully someone knows this off the top of their head.

Otherwise, can someone please test the continuity between PINs 1J17 on the MPU board for their system 9 game? Pins 1-3 should test to ground. Pins 4-6 should be all +5v. On my MPU they all buzz as if they are connected to each other with a 17 ohm resistance.

Thank you in advance for any help with this! This drove me crazy yesterday; and I sorta gave up. Now I am at the "maybe it IS normal" phase... that could be "denial" kicking in

full board (resized).PNGfull board (resized).PNGschematic pic (resized).PNGschematic pic (resized).PNG
#2 3 years ago

Bump for the morning crowd!

Also cross posting with the sorcerer thread.

#4 3 years ago

Thank you for the reply. Still hoping someone can test me just to confirm the error before driving in more. I will have a look at the video after work ends tonight. I may go full crazy and get a bench power supply to test the board out of the game but I am just trying to take a step back first.

#5 3 years ago

I watched the vid. I wonder what voltage that battery was?

I did not know Randy fromm had a YouTube channel. That brought back memories of my brief coin op career 2 decades ago..

#7 3 years ago

Thank you for making the time to confirm I may be screwed for now Chris! I appreciate not spinning my wheels further on this board. I will look into the diode testing method and see if I can eventually find the source of the issue.

I ordered a replacement board tonight as I was going to get one anyways as a backup. But at least I know that the older board has some more problems to work through.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 22.50
$ 749.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields

$ 36.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Watertown, MA
$ 12.50
Lighting - Led
RoyGBev Pinball

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider BC_Gambit.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/-5v-and-gnd-test-as-continuous-sorcerer-sytem-9-mpu?tu=BC_Gambit and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.