IMG_20131220_162411_648.jpg
IMG_20131220_162356_358.jpg
IMG_20131220_162336_826.jpg
IMG_20131220_162322_189.jpg
IMG_20131220_161904_291.jpg
IMG_20131220_161849_131.jpg
IMG_20131220_161826_597.jpg
IMG_20131220_161813_660.jpg
There are 125 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 3.
#51 10 years ago

Thanks this looks like a good alternative to mirror blades which I know can scratch pretty easy. When I get a STLE will order a set as they really look amazing.

#52 10 years ago

How difficult is it to install pinblades/led kit on a STLE?? How much time should it take??

Thanks!

#53 10 years ago

They look awesome especially with the LED effect and fit the LE perfectly round the Red LEDs which must have been tricky to do. Well done. Maybe I've missed this but do the Leds have to be wired in somewhere and do they fit flush?
Would like to order a set but do you ship international?

I wish Stern had done the asteroids in realistic colours as they look kinda odd in the playfield due to the colour. Might have to re-paint them to make them look more rock like.

#54 10 years ago
Quoted from marspinball:

How difficult is it to install pinblades/led kit on a STLE?? How much time should it take??
Thanks!

The PinBlades allow you to reattach them time and time again until you get them exactly where you want them, believe me I had to do this, it's a great product. When I just installed these in my STLE, I found the trick you align the opening for the factory LEDs to the opening in the PinBlades and the rest flows flows on.

The LED lighting kit will come with everything you need to install it including pictured directions. It will plug into the machine for power (no soldering required) and you mount the rails with hex metal standoffs that connect into the machine where there was screws. These standoffs replace the screws in the machine, so there is no alteration done to your machine. I will post a better picture of them....

I estimate you can install everything in 30 minutes or less.

Thanks for asking,
Steve

IMG_20131221_102403_627.jpgIMG_20131221_102403_627.jpgIMG_20131221_102258_554.jpgIMG_20131221_102258_554.jpg

#55 10 years ago
Quoted from sillyoldelf:

They look awesome especially with the LED effect and fit the LE perfectly round the Red LEDs which must have been tricky to do. Well done. Maybe I've missed this but do the Leds have to be wired in somewhere and do they fit flush? Would like to order a set but do you ship international?
I wish Stern had done the asteroids in realistic colours as they look kinda odd in the playfield due to the colour. Might have to re-paint them to make them look more rock like.

Thanks, Joe does great work in designing and making the PinBlades.

The LEDs plug into the machine for power, super easy to do for the power connection, and yes I will ship International. I found out with the size of the box over 24" long need that the lighting kit is shipped in requires it to be shipped USPS Priority and cost around $45.

Thanks,

Steve

#56 10 years ago

Here is another video of the machine with my Son playing it during a Klingon Multi-ball.... I lowered the exposure down in the camera because my phone's camera is not the best and tends to wash out the video. This is a great effect in the machine and I am very happy with the results.

#57 10 years ago

Steve---That looks F^%$ing sick!!

The shine and reflected glowing light coming off the PinBlades looks like something out of a movie..WOW!

Thank you fellas for all who have ordered so far. Looking forward to your pictures and Clips.

enjoy!
Joe

#58 10 years ago

Ordered during my lanparty.... Looking forward to getting them.... and hopefully some time to install it

#59 10 years ago

Looks kinda 3D looking , pretty sweet

#60 10 years ago
Quoted from Zitt:

Ordered during my lanparty.... Looking forward to getting them.... and hopefully some time to install it

Yep/..your gonna love these.. what game were you using of your LANParty BTW? We use to have 7 PS2s hooked up in my basement with 7 monitors..SOCOM...it was pretty sick!

Quoted from BillE:

Looks kinda 3D looking , pretty sweet

IT does have a mysterious 3 D effect. Steve did a great job capturing this..but really the camera is not showing all of its real spectrum ..You have to EXPERIENCE it...let just say

#61 10 years ago
Quoted from joeraptor2003:

Yep/..your gonna love these.. what game were you using of your LANParty BTW? We use to have 7 PS2s hooked up in my basement with 7 monitors..SOCOM...it was pretty sick!

We had 60 seats of PCs running on the network. We did play Supreme Commander : Forged Alliance and Sins of Solar... and others.

SxSw2014 will have ~150 PCs.

#62 10 years ago

LOL..here i am with my 7 guys LOL..
That sounds lie an epic game though..must try.!

On another note..I been getting a few questions on installation tips
So I have this little write up..I plan on making a demo video shortly but her this is for now,
This is how I do it.
SAFTEY FIRST: TAKE YOUR PLUG OUT
1) remove your lock down bar
2) slide glass off carefully
3) remove all balls from the game
4) pull playfield straight up so that front of your play field touches the back glass
5) take felt strips and peel off the backing , now place the sticker part against the side of the play field. Repeat the same on the other side so that both felt strips are now sticking to both sides of the play field. This is the wood area that is exposed when you are looking at the machine from the side. This will help in preventing any damage when you lift and lower your play field up and down. The PinBLades have a protective coating but its never a bad idea to have extra protection.
6) With your play field full upright, push it towards one side as much as possible. There should be an 1/8 the of an inch on each side between the playfield and the cabinet,
7)pull backing off the corner of one PinbLade off starting from the rear. Line up the rear notch with the screw (STERN) and where the head meets the cab. (notched area) Now tack it against the cabinet wall at the same time line up the front of the pin blade to the front of the cabinet, IT should be nice and smooth. You may have to do this a few times but just do it carefully. You can peel the panels off easily so don't worry about messing up . You can do this time and time again until you are happy with positioning. It would probably be a good idea to get a friend to help you.
8)Repeat step for opposite side. You can take a squeegee or credit card to smooth them out.
Make sure they are flush. No bubbles high spots

Now lower your play field carefully..making note not to touch the sides as you are lowering. (it's ok if you do because you have the felt and the PinBlades have protective coating but its just good practice)
Put the balls back in the game.
Slide glass back in place
Lock down the lock down bar.

That's it.

should take you about 10 minutes tops!

#63 10 years ago

Giving these a Holiday bump and Now Shipping.

#64 10 years ago

wow , those colors really pop in those pinblades. It looks like it glows especially in the asteroids . Is that some type of special glow ink or something? Those make the Star Trek even nicer ,, great job. How much are they ?

#65 10 years ago

Just ordered a set for my Pro. Was considering mirror blades until I saw these. Really like the graphics and how they fit in with the game theming. On seeing images of them installed I thought that the mirrors would be overkill on a machine that is already so bright! Looking forward to getting them installed. Thanks for the installation tips above.

#66 10 years ago
Quoted from wolowizard:

wow , those colors really pop in those pinblades. It looks like it glows especially in the asteroids . Is that some type of special glow ink or something? Those make the Star Trek even nicer ,, great job. How much are they ?

Wolowizard

Very cool of you.
I could tell you but then I would have to kill you
justkidddinggggg..

Quoted from Disloid:

Just ordered a set for my Pro. Was considering mirror blades until I saw these. Really like the graphics and how they fit in with the game theming. On seeing images of them installed I thought that the mirrors would be overkill on a machine that is already so bright! Looking forward to getting them installed. Thanks for the installation tips above.

Thank you for your order! I think you made a good choice. When you see these on the game it looks really tight. I really don't think you will be disappointed.
Also..PinBlades do have a nice shine to them while letting you still see the graphics.. a nice luster. It's sweet .all the guys who have them love them.

#67 10 years ago

Here are the PinBlades after cutting..
Screen Shot 2013-12-28 at 5.23.58 PM.pngScreen Shot 2013-12-28 at 5.23.58 PM.png
Screen Shot 2013-12-28 at 5.23.30 PM.pngScreen Shot 2013-12-28 at 5.23.30 PM.png

and now they are on their way to you guys!!

TY

—joe

#68 10 years ago

Can you put these on the pro machine . I know these asteroids match the LE version, but can you make these without the cutout for the lights ? I like the asteroids , I think this version will also look great in the pro version ....

#69 10 years ago

Yet another awesome mod - now I need to buy ST ? Stop already - kidding keep up the good work!

#70 10 years ago

Update.... Currently, all orders were shipped out with the lighting effects and the directions were emailed to you...

I have a few more in stock before Joe will need to print more of them for me....

Thanks everyone that ordered them, they are coming.

Steve

1 week later
#71 10 years ago

Installed mine this weekend, they look great! They were very easy to apply and adhere nicely.

#72 10 years ago

I ordered a set too over the weekend. I'll post pics and a mini review.

#73 10 years ago

Just got my set. I'm a little confused with the installation process. For some reason I thought these we're going to be 'pin blades' and install similar to mirror blades. Looks like it's just a sticker. Do I just peel it and attempt to apply it? I read the instructions above but I must be retarded. No felt strips came with mine. So what's the best method? Just unpeel and apply?

Also, with these being sticker decals, will it affect the wood in anyway? And will they easily unpeel off the wood on their own over time?

Thanks.
SKB

#74 10 years ago

SKB,
They peel off easily. It's a repositionable adhesive on the back of the decals. I reposited mine a couple of times to get them straight.

I'll let Joe speak to the long term implications (if any) of using them.

I slid mine inbetween the PF and the side cab with the PF in the up position. I put the "front" on then lined up the back... only using enough pressure in key places to get the decal to stick. Once I had the decal positioned; I just used a rubber squeegee to "bond" the decal to the wood.

#75 10 years ago

Hi Eskaybee

Sorry of the confusion. Just to clarify.. PinBlades are not metal. They are made of two different layers of special Vinyl material. Thus making them a sturdy blade like decal.The top layer being the protective coating which also has a textured finish to them. The second being the graphic itself. The graphic is printed on a adhesive backed easy release
coated vinyl. The special meshing allows a user to easily remove and place the graphics into perfect positioning. Thus it also has great adhesion and should last for years to come.

The first generation of Graphics I used had high-tack adhesive like I have seen on some other panels. The problem with this is..
a) You only get one shot during installation..if you mess up..well..hmmmmm.
b) They come off just as easy as you put them on and leave no residual mess behind..very easy release while still having lasting holding power.

Over the few years of doing this I have learned a great deal and whats really great about these is that.. it's a fully reversible mod. Sometimes guys may want to remove them.. but at the same time, they don't want to sit there with a razor for days scraping off glue and old material..just not the way to go. This in turn may even cause some minor damage.

I'm not sure why you did not receive the felt strips but I can send you a set out right away. Just PM me your address and I will gladly get them out to you.

Lastly...installation is pretty easy....You can do it multiple ways as mentioned above But I I find this to be the best way.First off.. remove the PLUG! safety first. Then basically..pull the playfield all the way up and out <<<CAREFULLY>>> Lean it against the cabinet softly or next to the game on the floor. ..you can now peel and position your PinBlades..once happy with placement ..slowly drop the playfield back into the machine again CAREFULLY. It's always a good idea to have a friend to help you with this and I don't suggest doing it this way unless you do. SO FAIR WARNING.

photo 2.JPGphoto 2.JPGphoto 1.JPGphoto 1.JPG

You can install without the felt because of the Protective coating but just be aware of the pin that holds the playfield in the track.. That is most damaging thing there is.

I hope that helps..future shipment swill have some printed instructions and I will work on this soon. Let me know if you have any further questions.

-JR

#76 10 years ago
Quoted from Zitt:

SKB,
They peel off easily. It's a repositionable adhesive on the back of the decals. I reposited mine a couple of times to get them straight.
I'll let Joe speak to the long term implications (if any) of using them.
I slid mine inbetween the PF and the side cab with the PF in the up position. I put the "front" on then lined up the back... only using enough pressure in key places to get the decal to stick. Once I had the decal positioned; I just used a rubber squeegee to "bond" the decal to the wood.

That's pretty much how majority of the users have been doing it. Thanks for chiming in Zeet

#77 10 years ago

Edited to protect the innocent

#78 10 years ago

Hey Eskaybee

Sorry you feel that way. Perhaps over some time they will grow on you. I know there are a lot of guys who are very happy with them. So to each is own! That's what makes this hobby so great.

—JR

#79 10 years ago
Quoted from joeraptor2003:

Hey Eskaybee
Sorry you feel that way. Perhaps over some time they will grow on you. I know there are a lot of guys who are very happy with them. So to each is own! That's what makes this hobby so great.
—JR

Ya no worries joe. They do look really good and are already starting to grow on me. But being a mirror blade guy coming into this mod, I think I was expecting more? Not sure, they are really nice but I think I prefer the personality of how mirror blades open up the play field. I'll reserve final judgement for when I see mirror blades on STLE in person.

Overall, great product and thanks for the effort and time investing into this mod!

SKB

#80 10 years ago

Hey Joe,

I was just wondering about the issue of the decals sticking to the paint on the inside of the box and I had an idea. Do you think it would help to add a light coat of something like clear varnish over the paint before applying the decal? I thought that this might help with adhesion by creating a smoother finish, which (ironically) may also aid with removal/repositioning. What do you think, could you test this with a small sample?

I think my blades have just arrived, but they couldn't deliver them when I was out so now I'll have to wait til Monday to get hold of them

Cheers
Mark

#81 10 years ago

Hi Mark
To be honest I have only see this happen to one machine in the past. I just went and peeled them off my MET and there wasn't any problems. This may vary from machine to machine. Even if it does ..its minimal. I think it has to do with how fresh the paint is and how it was applied. However I do like you suggestion and I could try that out.

#82 10 years ago

They look great to me. I wish I would let myself get it, but I bought a machine with mirror blades and I absolutely hate having to deal with it when raising and lowering the playfield. No matter how good stuff looks on the inside walls of the cabinet, I just don't want to have to deal with it.

#83 10 years ago
Quoted from tbanthony:

They look great to me. I wish I would let myself get it, but I bought a machine with mirror blades and I absolutely hate having to deal with it when raising and lowering the playfield. No matter how good stuff looks on the inside walls of the cabinet, I just don't want to have to deal with it.

Well, I will say this; the artwork pinblades seem non existent when raising the play field compared to mirror blades. The art and overall appearance are growing on me and I give the thumbs up! But will still wait to pass final judgement til I see mirror blades on an STLE in person.

#84 10 years ago

The thing that set me off about this product vs the mirrors; is the "space" art really adds to the background IMHO.
The mirror is probably ok; but I really like the idea of having these on on my Star Trek Pins.

#85 10 years ago
Quoted from Eskaybee:

I got em installed. Thanks guys. They are a pain though. Being a mirror blade guy, I gave these a shot for STLE as I really liked the pics. Mirror blades are so easy to install, I guess I 'assumed' these would be too, my bad for not researching it enough and realizing they're sticky backs and not blades.
That said; I'm gonna have to look at em again in the morning, but my first impression is meh. The product is of the highest quality but they just don't pop like mirror blades do. And because they are a sticky-like material, it does chew away at the paint on the cab. Luckily, mirror blades will cover this up. I'll leave them in for a month and see if they grow on me but I'll probably change it out for mirror blades.
No offense, the material and quality is of the highest, and I support pinball refinery, but this is one mod I wish I didn't get. Maybe I'll have a second opinion when I sleep on it and I will definitely post a response here if I have a change of mind.
SKB

I gotta apologize to joe. These artwork blades have grown on me and are bad ass! Great mod highly recommend. But they are still a PIA to install

#86 10 years ago

Hey man.. I'm just glad you dig them.. no apologies necessary.

You need to buy more pins so you get more practice

enjoy!

--JR

#87 10 years ago

OK I just got done installing both the side graphics and the light mod.
I was on the fence through the entire install not knowing how much I was going t like them.
wel.....I LOVE THEM!!!!
Great job Joe and Steve!

I also install Terry's brushed aluminum flippers, Super Bands, pinbits plastic protectors and finally translucent rubbers on the entire game.

Been a long day.
Now it's time for a beer, shot or two of tequila and play some pinball.

Bill

#88 10 years ago

It's been a week with mine installed and I admit I was wrong with my first impression; these are great artwork panels!

Enjoy the beer and pin bill

#89 10 years ago
Quoted from BDillon:

OK I just got done installing both the side graphics and the light mod.
I was on the fence through the entire install not knowing how much I was going t like them.
wel.....I LOVE THEM!!!!
Great job Joe and Steve!
I also install Terry's brushed aluminum flippers, Super Bands, pinbits plastic protectors and finally translucent rubbers on the entire game.
Been a long day.
Now it's time for a beer, shot or two of tequila and play some pinball.
Bill

Quoted from Eskaybee:

It's been a week with mine installed and I admit I was wrong with my first impression; these are great artwork panels!
Enjoy the beer and pin bill

Sounds like you got a pretty tight game there. So glad you like 'em.. Steve and I spent a lot of time on these. Glad we could enhance your game . I just got my LE so I am pretty stoked to install them as well.

-JR

3 weeks later
#90 10 years ago

Wow, how did I miss this one? Great mod. Any remaining for STLE?

#91 10 years ago
Quoted from BillP:

The STLE blades are available here, as you need the light kit also - Thank you

http://www.pinballrefinery.com/store#!/~/product/category=7060554&id=32327435

Please visit http://www.pingraffix.com/

1 week later
#92 10 years ago
Quoted from BillP:

Yes... I have them available. This is a great mod for Star Trek LE/Prem. Also, I am working with a fellow Pinsider to make a lighting kit for the Star Trek Pro version as well.

If anyone is going to the Las Vegas Pinball Hall of Fame, you can see the PinBlades and Lighting effects in their Star Trek Premium machine...

Thanks,

Steve

2 weeks later
#93 10 years ago

Just a little FYI..You can now get the entire kit at Pinball Life as well

http://www.pinballlife.com/index.php?p=product&id=3343

thanks

-JR

3 weeks later
#94 10 years ago

Is there a specific set (stickers/lights) for the Premium ? without the cut out for the LE lasers ?

#95 10 years ago

Nevermind found the stuff on the pinball refinery side!

Ordered the blades for the premium, the light set and the klingon ship.

#96 10 years ago

I have these in my STLE; I admit I was skeptical at first but now I absolutely LOVE them! Great product and looks fantastic.

#97 10 years ago
Quoted from KLR2014:

Nevermind found the stuff on the pinball refinery side!
Ordered the blades for the premium, the light set and the klingon ship.

I shipped out your PinBlades with lighting effects today and the Klingon ship is coming soon

Thanks,

Steve
Pinball Refinery

#98 10 years ago
Quoted from Eskaybee:

I have these in my STLE; I admit I was skeptical at first but now I absolutely LOVE them! Great product and looks fantastic.

Why were you skeptical at first?... These make the machine come alive even more and added a great effect to it.

Thanks for the post,

Steve
Pinball Refinery

#99 10 years ago

I like the fact the left and right aren't identical.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 115.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

$ 6,595.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 24.00
Playfield - Protection
Pinhead mods

$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

13,500 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Howard City, MI
Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

$ 50.00
Playfield - Protection
Duke Pinball

Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Lee's Summit, MO
$ 24.00
Playfield - Protection
Pinhead mods

5,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Uniontown, OH
arcade-cabinets.com

$ 5.00
Playfield - Plastics
UpKick Pinball

$ 24.95
Machine - For Sale
Lake Elsinore, CA
Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 100.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

Lighting - Backbox
Lermods

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 99.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 10.00
Playfield - Plastics
Minty's Mods

Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

$ 79.99
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

$ 110.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

There are 125 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 3.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/%e2%80%a2star-trek-le-pinblades-first-glimpse%e2%80%a2/page/2 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.